Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th December 2011, 11:33   #3991
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Today evening the new outlet of Pakwaan will receive my visit. Plan to take-away their famous Tandoori Chicken and Fish Tikka

All other dishes are above average to mediocre.

As Silverwood mentioned, never eat biryani there nor order any meat dishes. Perhaps, you can get away with Chicken gravy and rotis as it takes real talent to mar a regular chicken gravy dish.
Old 8th December 2011, 11:36   #3992
Senior - BHPian

Talking of Chinese food and restaurants, does anyone remember the name of a small chinese restaurant at Nagarjuna Circle, besides the Midway Bakery??
It was there till around 2007 as far as I remember. I am not getting it's name but we used to have lunch there often and also used to order for home delivery.
A small 4 table restaurant, with a very chinese decor and awesome chinese food.
Anyone remembers about it ?
Old 8th December 2011, 11:37   #3993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
To experience such smells, flavours and maybe not equally good taste, then it has to be any 5* restuarant like Novotel, Park, Westin for these continental dishes as they bake breads fresh and use original ingredients to a large extent and smell being most important and you can perhaps relate to it a bit

Chinese food, will recommend the following in order both in terms of taste/quality/pricing

1. Ming's Court
2. Chinese Pavilion
3. Mainland China
4. Wonton's
5. Shangai Chef
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Chinese Pavilion serves the most authentic chinese food and is VFM.
Thanks for the recos, will try the Pavilion soon. Will try Novotel when somebody else is paying or when I need to entertain clients.
Old 8th December 2011, 11:43   #3994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Talking of Chinese food and restaurants, does anyone remember the name of a small chinese restaurant at Nagarjuna Circle, besides the Midway Bakery??
It was there till around 2007 as far as I remember. I am not getting it's name but we used to have lunch there often and also used to order for home delivery.
If it is more than 4 tables and is in the basement it is Chinese Pavillion.
Old 8th December 2011, 12:02   #3995
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Chinese Pavilion serves the most authentic chinese food and is VFM.

He has few VFM combos like Pot rice with roast lamb in chilly sauce.

Try Bamboo rice, its amazing.

This place is easy to miss if you are coming from the flyover,keep a watch on your left after you exit the flyover and join road no. 1.This place is located at the basement.
Another must try is the CP's Barbecue Chicken and Peanut Sauce and their Veg Chinese Pavilion Rice.Also you could customize your dishes,one of my favourites is mushroom in schezwan sauce-heavenly.Be sure to ask for peanut sauce with any starter,they make it on order and fresh and is complimentary,

Quote:
Has to be Chinese Pavilion and the food is still the best.There was another restaurant called Epicurus which shut down next to the fruit stall and Mebaz,but if its Chinese,it has to be Chinese Pavilion

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 8th December 2011 at 12:08.
Old 8th December 2011, 13:07   #3996
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Another must try is the CP's Barbecue Chicken and Peanut Sauce and their Veg Chinese Pavilion Rice.Also you could customize your dishes,one of my favourites is mushroom in schezwan sauce-heavenly.Be sure to ask for peanut sauce with any starter,they make it on order and fresh and is complimentary,

Has to be Chinese Pavilion and the food is still the best.There was another restaurant called Epicurus which shut down next to the fruit stall and Mebaz,but if its Chinese,it has to be Chinese Pavilion
One thing I remember about CP is the quick service - order anything and it is on the table immediately. Was discussing with friends just last week that we should be ordering starters from CP. Do they door-deliver?
Old 8th December 2011, 13:12   #3997
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
One thing I remember about CP is the quick service - order anything and it is on the table immediately. Was discussing with friends just last week that we should be ordering starters from CP. Do they door-deliver?
Yes they do door delivery as well.Not sure if they have a certain minimum amount for delivery.You could speak to the owner Ali,whose present in the restaurant for most parts of the time,
Old 8th December 2011, 15:13   #3998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
One of the worst Buffet which I could imagine,where the name of the dish didnot comply looks wise or taste wise.
Hillram, I feel you would have gone back had the food been good despite them mis-spelling dish names.

Many a times, even 5-stars end up with major gaffes.

I have never had the presence of mind to capture such errors on my cam though I have encountered many dishes wrongly spelt in 5-stars also.

Quote:
Chinese food, will recommend the following in order both in terms of taste/quality/pricing
1. Ming's Court
2. Chinese Pavilion
3. Mainland China
4. Wonton's
5. Shangai Chef
You missed out another very good one called Aromas of China in City Center Mall. Caution : it is priced very steeply but mind blowing food.

Quote:
Today evening the new outlet of Pakwaan will receive my visit. Plan to take-away their famous Tandoori Chicken and Fish Tikka
This is what was my plan for today evening till I read that you are picking up the parcel. It is fine with me, I will be there at your place by 8:30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Will try Novotel when somebody else is paying or when I need to entertain clients.
Novotel has some good Mexican food. Else, stick to their coffee shop buffet only.

Quote:
Yes, I do remember the place though not the name and that place is not Chinese Pavilion or Epicurus.
OT : Epicurus used to have very good food and I was an absolute regular there while it was on Main Punjagutta Road opposite NIMS. They could never recover back its lost glory at its new location on Road No. 1. I have visited it only once after it shifted and I staged a walk out after realising that the chicken they would serve me must be old since I was the only customer on a saturday at 9:15 pm. Is this what is called Vaastu effect on businesses?

Does anyone remember Orchids exactly at Nagarjuna Circle. They used to serve the best continental soup one could have ever had, so much of exotic stuff and spices in it. Really missing it!

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 8th December 2011 at 15:26.
Old 8th December 2011, 17:02   #3999
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MindSpeeDs View Post
If it is more than 4 tables and is in the basement it is Chinese Pavillion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Yes, I do remember the place though not the name and that place is not Chinese Pavilion or Epicurus.
The name Chinese Pavillion doesn't rings in my head. I think this is not the name.
But yes it was in basement, five steps down, besides the florist shop. This is definitely not the Epicurus.
have tried to put the layout of the restaurant together. I am not sure of the 5th table though.
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-chungs.jpg
Old 9th December 2011, 01:51   #4000
BHPian

Other than TC, Pakwaan serves amazing Fish Tikka, Daal Fry and Chicken 65.Biriyani at this place is very inconsistent.Also do not try gravy dishes here, you will be disappointed.

Please avoid visiting Pakwaan over the weekends and never opt for a take away.

Thanks for the inputs Waseem, I was never a fan of sea food so would leave that to my better half and we tried the biryani here twice with different results both times. WIll try the Dal fry and Chicken 65 for sure.
Old 9th December 2011, 10:02   #4001
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Take-away consisted of only Tandoori Chicken as didnt want to indulge too much for a single meal

Prices are same and spoke to the owner/guy on counter for a long time and he confirmed its the same pakwaan and taste would be equal or better than Tandbund outlet as some of the cooks got transferred here.

Had a guest at home so took only :-

1 FULL TC : Rs.140
3 Strawberry Shakes : Rs.90

Iam sad to confess, i was not at all impressed with TC. Well, there were some flavours thats Pakwaanish but, it aint the same as Tadbund.

Will try it a couple more times and along with Fish Tikka next time. If same taste, would not go back.

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th December 2011 at 10:04.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2011, 09:13   #4002
Distinguished - BHPian

Before going for a movie last night, we decided to grab a quick bite at

" Bowl O' China" at Himayathnagar.

Choice of venue was purely due to proximity at home and time constraint

We ordered

Chicken Drumsticks (Rs. 132)

Meaty and Excellent taste with their spicy sauce dip

Veg Manchuria in Manchuria Sauce (Rs.115)

I loved it. Lovely tasting manchurias in a delectable sauce

Egg Soft Noodles (Rs. 120)

Tasty without being awesome.

Diet Cokes (Rs. 39 each)

Overall, loved the taste and Bowl'O China is really becoming consistent considering I always thought earlier they weren't

If your looking for cheap and VFM comfort food. Here it is !!!
Old 12th December 2011, 12:24   #4003
Team-BHP Support

I finally picked up some noodles and soup from Chinese Pavilion. I had heard about this restaurant and when I read its review here. I had to pick up some food from there.

I was actually under the impression that is a small college hang out kind of restaurant. I was so wrong.

The lighting, the large fish tank etc are so good.
I loved the ambiance of this place.

I bought some Haka Noodle and a veg soup. The bill was about Rs 316.

The food was quite good. Thanks for your reviews of this place.
Old 12th December 2011, 12:34   #4004
Senior - BHPian

Last evening went to Ebony opp KBR Park with 7 other people. Even though they have an all inclusive offer at the coffee shop on ground floor, we decided to sit on the roof top as people wanted to round off the evening with dinner.

The roof top is simply amazing and gives a great view of the whole city. I don't think other roof top places like Seventh Heaven and Terrace Bay come anywhere close on the view.

Highlights of the evening:
  1. Masala Papad & Peanut Masala - Not very hot but spicy and very very tasty. The papad size is XS but the taste makes up for it.
  2. Non-Veg Platter : Lots of quantity and good mix of prawns, chicken and mutton. The meat was real succulent.

The bill with 14.5% VAT and 5% Service Charge came to 6K+ which was reduced to 5.6K on account of corporate discount.

Verdict: 3.5/5. Slightly expensive but the open air ambiance just makes up for it.
Old 12th December 2011, 12:39   #4005
Senior - BHPian

Was at Over the Flames on Saturday-yet again!Coincidentally it was their anniversary day.Had a fettuccino in alfredo sauce and a veg lasagne.Taste was excellent as usual.On account of their 1st anniversary,there was a coke bottle per table offered on the house.Bill totalled to approx INR 180.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The lighting, the large fish tank etc are so good.
I loved the ambiance of this place.

I bought some Haka Noodle and a veg soup. The bill was about Rs 316.
Do the dine-in whenever next and the dishes would taste yummier.A must try thing on their menu are the CP Rice,Teppan Sorbay & Barbecued Chicken alongwith the Potrice & Bamboo Rice.There was a huge fish in the tank till about a couple of months back,but sadly it passed away and has been replaced with smaller fishes now.The owner-Ali is a huge fish enthusiast apparently.

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th December 2011 at 12:50. Reason: Merging

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks