Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th April 2012, 16:22   #4276
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Any idea where can one find Cranberries or dried Cranberries in hyderabad? Is it produced in India or is it always imported, if produced locally then does it have a local name? Couldn't find it at Hypercity.
My 1 yr old who is a picky eater has grown a great fascination towards this fruit after having it at one of his friend's home where it was sent by his friend's NRI aunt.
Godrej nature's basket at rd no 10 might stock it.
Old 20th April 2012, 16:33   #4277
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any idea where can one find Cranberries or dried Cranberries in hyderabad? Is it produced in India or is it always imported, if produced locally then does it have a local name? Couldn't find it at Hypercity.
My 1 yr old who is a picky eater has grown a great fascination towards this fruit after having it at one of his friend's home where it was sent by his friend's NRI aunt.
Check Munnalal Grandsons @ Road #12, Banjara Hills
Old 20th April 2012, 16:33   #4278
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Had been to B&C for lunch. My god it was more than VFM. Had a coupon from snapdeal worth Rs.39/- which entitles me for a one+one platter.

How much did it cost after the 1+1 offer?
Old 20th April 2012, 16:39   #4279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
How much did it cost after the 1+1 offer?
I was charged 39 for voucher, Rs.179 for platter (1+1). The extra salad that I had ordered was for Rs.99 on menu but after taxes it came to Rs.129/-. Rs.30/extra. Still total damages Rs.347/- plus Rs.50/- as tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydtraveller
Are you sure the ice cream was dipped in the sauce?
Yes it is chocolate dribbled over ice cream. And yes I agree that without offer also it is VFM and today there was hardly any loud music being played.

Last edited by Gadgetfreak : 20th April 2012 at 16:47.
Old 20th April 2012, 16:41   #4280
BHPian

Quote:
Cranberries, Blueberries, etc. are all imported and your hope of finding them will be in dried form at Hypercity / Spar / Ratnadeep / Balaji Grand Bazar. I think I saw some berry (dried) at Balaji a fortnight back in the dry fruit section.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Had been to B&C for lunch.
vanilla icecream dipped in chocolate sauce.
Are you sure the ice cream was dipped in the sauce?
Or was it that chocolate sauce was dribbled over the vanilla ice cream!

I think it is VFM even without the deal since it is Rs. 225 all inclusive and also valid on sundays. The only nuisance is the lack of lighting and high decibel noise (as compared to 10 Downing which also offers platters at Rs. 225 or so).
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:21   #4281
BHPian

Bottles & Chimney, Begumpet is now serving breakfast. Saw a hoarding at Begumpet today.
Old 23rd April 2012, 14:36   #4282
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Bottles & Chimney, Begumpet is now serving breakfast. Saw a hoarding at Begumpet today.

Yes it is for sure serving, Had been for lunch to B&C yesterday again with dad. He noticed the hoarding and informed me about it. Itching to try its breakfast once.
Old 28th April 2012, 18:11   #4283
Senior - BHPian

Parl Hyatt Soft Opened

Park Hyatt has had a soft opening on Monday-23rd Apr,12.Two restaurants are open for business-the Italian and the oriental one.

Tre-Forni Restaurant and Bar as well as its South-East Asian dining facility Oriental Bar and Kitchen
Old 29th April 2012, 10:57   #4284
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea where can one find Cranberries or dried Cranberries in hyderabad?
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Cranberries, Blueberries, etc. are all imported and your hope of finding them will be in dried form at Hypercity / Spar / Ratnadeep / Balaji Grand Bazar.
Seen at Ratnadeep on Raj Bhawan Road yesterday evening in the dry fruit section :
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20120428-18.29.53.jpg
Old 30th April 2012, 14:23   #4285
Senior - BHPian

Sagar Papaji ka Dhaba,Hanuman Tekdi,Abids:Disappointed

1 Papaji ka Dhaba

What disappointing food-period.I just cant conceal my disappointment after yesterday's disaster.I wanted to tell myself that it is me and not the dishes,but I just couldnt come around to convincing myself after having driven all the way from Sainikpuri to Abids just for this.Sigh

Ordered Chicken Tikka Masala/ Chicken Seekh kababs/Rotis.Wanted to stick to the traditional punjabi things so that neither me nor they go wrong with the dishes.Ordered takeaway as wanted to eat in peace.The place was crowded which is the case any time I guess?

For the place and quantity that is served,it definitely is not VFM.Both the dishes were priced at 160.Rotis were excellent and of atta,maida mixed in it was negligible.

The chicken tikka masala was coloured to death and guess what it was a total con job.The chicken wasnt grilled at all.The chicken was just maybe cooked or steamed and put directly into the dish.Sorry but thats just not done.I should have been eating there to point it out to them.There wasnt a hint of it being grilled,no burnt or charcoal taste,no grill or skewer marks on any of the chicken pieces.The gravy was pathetic,i still dont understand how can a tikka masala have raw green peas in it?Beyodn me,it just spoiled everything and the masala had a very funny taste to it.

The seekh did not taste right either,maybe I am willing to forgive them considering the fact that seekh kebabs are not ideally made of chicken,but even then the spices that were marinated on the chicken had some kind of sand like particles on it,which I kept biting on.

The 1st in my life where the quintessential green mint chutney tasted so bad-reason they had ground mint,groundnut & chickpeas into it.I guess in the whole effort of doing something different,some restaurants just go overboard.

I cant believe that a place so popular and run by a true blue Punjabi himself can go so horribly wrong with a trademark Punjabi dish like the CTM.Even if you are ready to forego the chicken not being grilled,the least they could do was get the gravy right!I must agree the place looked very popular in the vicinity but I dont think I would go back

With this my hunt for the perfect Butter Chicken/Tikka Masala still continues.Till date I have found Hadippa and Angeethi come the closest to being called authentic(discounting all the star hotels and their restaurants).

I guess chickens who have sinned in their life end up in coloured dishes to be tortured after death ,while chickens who have done good in their life end up on 5 star restaurant plates!!

PS:I just read back the whole post and realised that this is quite a rant,guess I was way too disappointed with the place.Views are entirely my personal opinion

2 Baba's Chulha

Was there to pick up rolls and they have further modified the sitting area,by removing the a/c section.the place looks a lot cleaner now plus the rolls have also come back to tasting as before now.The owner was saying that some of the old staff has come back,so this could be a reason

3.Not really a food update,but Ratnadeep has opened its 10th outlet in between Sainikpuri & AS Rao Nagar

4. Has anyone been to Bhima's at Jubilee Hills?Do they serve a thali?

5. Is Ohris De Thali shifting to Banjara Hills Rd 1 into the same building as Sheesha(opp Karachi Biscuits?)I saw a huge vertical hoarding on the building saying Ohris De Thali(the same bldg where Mainland China was earlier)

6.Ruci & Idioni

Looks like the Ruci Idioni cafe next to City Center Mall,which I saw has been lying closed for quite some months? has got a fresh lease of life with Ohris taking it over.The boards now say Ohri's Ruci & Idioni.I wonder how its going to be now?The previous management went overboard with their pricing which killed the cafe,for all one knows,Ohris might introduce yet one more buffet place here adding to their expertise of how well they "mis"manage their other buffets.
Old 30th April 2012, 14:33   #4286
Team-BHP Support

Any suggestions for a bakery like Deli 9 or Ofen in the Kondapur, Kothaguda, Gachibowli areas?

I found a Cakes & More in Gachibowli. I did not like it.
Old 30th April 2012, 14:48   #4287
BHPian

Re: Sagar Papaji ka Dhaba,Hanuman Tekdi,Abids:Disappointed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
1 Papaji ka Dhaba

What disappointing food-period.I just cant conceal my disappointment after yesterday's disaster.
PS:I just read back the whole post and realised that this is quite a rant,guess I was way too disappointed with the place.Views are entirely my personal opinion
I am surprised. Am a big fan of Papaji ka dhaba and was never disappointed with their food. May be it was a one off thing...
Quote:
5. Is Ohris De Thali shifting to Banjara Hills Rd 1 into the same building as Sheesha(opp Karachi Biscuits?)I saw a huge vertical hoarding on the building saying Ohris De Thali(the same bldg where Mainland China was earlier)
Even I saw that vertical hoarding but I think it was placed there more to attract the customers at Bikanerwala. Anyone coming out of Bikanerwaala just cannot miss seeing that ad.
Old 30th April 2012, 15:14   #4288
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Any suggestions for a bakery like Deli 9 or Ofen in the Kondapur, Kothaguda, Gachibowli areas?

I found a Cakes & More in Gachibowli. I did not like it.
Haven't tried it personally, but you can give the bakery at Novotel a try(Le Cafe). Purely based on food site reviews(zomato/burrp). Their prices on the Menu on zomato look reasonable for Novotel, and Novotel being Novotel I would expect the bakery to be very very professional. If you happen to try it out please let us know the first hand review.
Old 30th April 2012, 15:25   #4289
BHPian

Quote:
1 Papaji ka Dhaba
2 Baba's Chulha
4. Has anyone been to Bhima's at Jubilee Hills?Do they serve a thali?
6.Ruci & Idioni
Looks like the Ruci Idioni cafe next to City Center Mall,which I saw has been lying closed for quite some months? has got a fresh lease of life with Ohris taking it over.The boards now say Ohri's Ruci & Idioni.I wonder how its going to be now?The previous management went overboard with their pricing which killed the cafe,for all one knows,Ohris might introduce yet one more buffet place here adding to their expertise of how well they "mis"manage their other buffets.
I am not a fan of Papaji Ka Dhaba also.

Glad to know about Baba Chullah. However, I find the rolls at 34, Chowringee Lane at 1st lancer much better than the BC rolls.

I have eaten a thali at Bhimas and would say they are just another Minerva Coffee Shop or Chutneys.

Ruci & Idoni was taken over by Godrej, Nature's Basket or something name.
If Ohri's has taken over the cafe, that means they will go the Jiva way. Jiva was a stand alone restaurant on Raj Bhawan Road. Ohri's took it over and renamed it Ohri's Jiva and then went around changing the menu and style and everything. Retaining the name by Ohri's is to utilise the earlier licenses.
Quote:
Haven't tried it personally, but you can give the bakery at Novotel a try(Le Cafe). Purely based on food site reviews(zomato/burrp). Their prices on the Menu on zomato look reasonable for Novotel, and Novotel being Novotel I would expect the bakery to be very very professional. If you happen to try it out please let us know the first hand review.
The prices are old and have been revised.
Old 30th April 2012, 15:58   #4290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am not a fan of Papaji Ka Dhaba also.
Way,way too oily as well.However to the credit of the owner,must admit he is all the time in and around the kitchen making sure things happen,but only if he knew about the fare he was serving.I have a hunch that maybe during the place's earlier days,the dishes tasted differently and then in the name of customisation and ease of preparation the authenticity got lost and today its just a a mass production unit!Am more than convinced that owner wouldnt be eating any of the stuff thats prepared in the restaurant and thats the number 1 quality any owner/chef must possess-to be able to eat what is made in one's own restaurant.

Quote:
Glad to know about Baba Chullah. However, I find the rolls at 34, Chowringee Lane at 1st lancer much better than the BC rolls.
Is this the same place that Imran mentioned about a good rolls place in Khaja Mansion complex.I actually went looking for it,but just wasnt able to locate it and finally landed up at BC.Is this on the 1st left road(where there are a lot of car workshops below the flyover) when you turn from Mehdipatnam onto Road No1?

Quote:
I have eaten a thali at Bhimas and would say they are just another Minerva Coffee Shop or Chutneys.
Thanks for this lead,I am not wasting my money on this place then.I shall stick to my current favourite of Southern Mirchi

Quote:
Ruci & Idoni was taken over by Godrej, Nature's Basket or something name.
Yes the store is Godrej Basket and Ohris has made out a separate entrance by the side of the store which would take you upto the cafe directly.Godrej Basket is good though to buy things which you normally would never see elsewhere,expensive as well.

www.naturebasket.co.in

OT:HTP has begun a Free Left campaign(400rs fine+Counselling at HTP HQ for blocking) and a Stop at STOP Line campaign(100rs Fine+Counselling at HTP HQ) from today.Such a relief to see those free lefts and all the signals have been provided with free left boards and the same is painted in bold on the road.Thumbs up to them.If only now people show some sense and more importantly PATIENCE to wait at signals and follow their lanes all our traffic woes will disappear.

Most Viewed