Search this Thread
Old 2nd June 2012, 09:31   #4411
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Deli 9
Junction of Road No. 1 & 10, Opposite Angeethi
Wow! Rs.200 for those burgers? They look totally sad and look as if made at home with a couple of buns from the neighbouring kirana store.

I think burgers made at home can atleast look more enticing than that. From your post I can make out taste wastn that great too.

Best burgers has to be from King & Cardinal. Except that they have become slightly greasy for my taste offlate.
Old 3rd June 2012, 10:12   #4412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
A few of Team Bhpians headed today for Breakfast at Shadab,which was a treat.
We ordered :
- Veg Lukmi
- Paya
- Sheermal
- Khichdi
- Bheja Fry
- Kheema Fry
- Irani Chai
Total Damages : Rs.480 including tip.
Totally enjoyed the BF and the Irani chai with double toned milk was a bliss.
Quite an impressive line up for BF. This once again reinforces my belief that we 'Hitec' residents are missing out on the best that Hyd has to offer.

Could someone give the directions to this place.
Old 3rd June 2012, 12:21   #4413
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Just go towards Charminar, you will be able to locate this landmark near Charminar easily....
Old 3rd June 2012, 18:00   #4414
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Quite an impressive line up for BF.
You bet, the B'F was absolutely worth each penny. The best was Magaz (brain). I did not relish the khichdi and would next time go for a roti instead though many swear by the rice dish.
BTW, the TBHPians in the photo from left to right are Hillram, NeilGuy, Hyd_Traveller & SilverWood. NoRules went on sleeping and missed the B'F.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Just go towards Charminar, you will be able to locate this landmark near Charminar easily....
Yes, cross Nayapul (bridge over Musi River), do not turn left towards Salarjung Museum but continue to Madina Junction. At the junction, do not continue straight towards Charminar but turn right on the road leading to AP High Court and within 50 feet of the junction, you are there.
Be careful of parking your car on the road, the police is strict. Just ask the restaurant people for parking suggestions.
Here is the location on Google Map:
https://maps.google.co.in/maps?daddr...sz=19&t=h&z=16

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 3rd June 2012 at 18:02.
Old 3rd June 2012, 23:41   #4415
Distinguished - BHPian

Visited "Buddys" for the Double Egg Mutton Tikka Roll for Rs. 130 ( Increased by Rs. 15). The taste of the roti which is slightly sweetish and is similar to when it was Baba Chulha. But, the contents have drastically reduced. The mutton tikkas in it were too less.

The young sardar on counter asked me how was the taste. I told him, its good but, quantity is way too less.

Till they improve the contents inside, paying Rs.130 for that roll is not worth it.

From there we headed to McD's at Himayathnagar and ordered for :-

Chicken McMaharaja
McVeggie
Soda
Strawberry Freeze

McMaharaja was a double decker sandwich which was bland and tasteless

Mcveggie was spicy and quite decent

I love the sodas in McD's. Perfect temperature for a soft drink with those ice-cubes

Strawberry Freeze was too sugary and can be avoided.
Old 5th June 2012, 15:44   #4416
Team-BHP Support

Found a very good video about street food in our city.
Old 6th June 2012, 14:52   #4417
Team-BHP Support

What is the review for Avasa at Madhapur?

How is the food and the ambiance in the Banquet halls.

I had asked them for a quote. They ask for 950 per pax + 29.15% as tax.
Is the tax really that high.

For a similar event, Ista had charged about 21.xx% as tax.
Old 7th June 2012, 08:12   #4418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
They ask for 950 per pax + 29.15% as tax.
Is the tax really that high.

For a similar event, Ista had charged about 21.xx% as tax.
Imran, why not just ask Avasa for the break up of tax? Simple!!!

For those who may not be aware, "Avasa" is a super-luxury branded hotel by the Hotel Green Park group at Madhapur a little before Hi-Tec City Junction.

The group has also started a luxury "Marigold Hotel" at Greenlands adjoining the Hotel Green Park property.
Old 7th June 2012, 15:45   #4419
BHPian

I had heard so much about the Taj Falaknuma palace ever since I had move to Hyderabad a year back. It was recommended as a place to celebrate an occasion. That's exactly what I did last week and the overall experience was excellent.

How do you get in?
You don't have to stay at Falaknuma to visit. However you do need to call in and book a table. They will not let you in unless you have a confirmed reservation and the minimum charge for lunch, per person is Rs. 1500. I think the charge goes up to Rs 2000 for dinner. The reservation was fairly pain free. They had promised to call back and discuss the menu ahead of our visit but that did not happen. No big deal.

The Palace:
Falaknuma is easy to get to and you can spot it from a distance. The first view of the palace is fantastic. You can drive up to a certain point along the private driveway and then they will take you to the palace on a golf cart. I did see an ornate horse drawn carriage being used to ferry guests but I'm assuming that is reserved for people staying at the hotel.

You drive up to the main entrance of the palace which is spectacular. There is a spacious courtyard with excellent views out. You can easily see the most of the old city and Charminar from there.

You can easily spend an hour exploring the main entrance and some attached rooms that are open for all. There is a nice library, a children's play room, a queen's bedroom and a recreation room that have been beautifully restored.

Highlights are the marble flooring, fantastic stained glass windows, the ornate wooden ceilings and chandeliers, the absolutely wonderful pipe organ, the eclectic collection of books and the staircase to the upper floor. What's not so nice is the overall feeling of a colonial hangover (you will understand that when you visit). The decoration is very ornate overall but lacks taste in the modern sense. Perhaps that was the way it was supposed to be.

Full marks to the Taj group for the restoration work. Their attention to detail shows.

The Restaurant and service:

We had lunch at the Indian restaurant, Adaa. I've often found that the food at most Taj hotels tend to be slightly below par. Perhaps that is a consequence of increased expectations. The food at Falakhnuma is very very good and lives up to the charm and ambiance of the place. There wasn't a bad dish served. The highlights were.

Patthar Ka Ghosth.
Dakhani Paneer tikka.
Dahi ka kabab.

The Hyderabadi kacchi biryani was incredible. The best I've had here (blows Shadaab out of the water). The desert of assorted flavoured ice creams (flavours like red wine, tamarind) was brilliant too. The service was flawless. They presented us with a complementary cake as we were celebrating a birthday which made things extra special.

We spent the entire afternoon at Falaknuma and had a great time, the most fun I've had at a hotel in a while. If you are in Hyderabad and haven't gone there yet, give them a call. It's worth it.
Old 8th June 2012, 11:27   #4420
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
I had heard so much about the Taj Falaknuma palace ever since I had move to Hyderabad a year back. It was recommended as a place to celebrate an occasion. That's exactly what I did last week and the overall experience was excellent.
This was one review I was waiting for a long time. I am glad to note that even non-guests are allowed to eat at their restuarant.

You did not clarify if 1500 was inclusive of taxes and dishes that you mentioned were served in buffet style/ala carte style and was it limited/unlimited.

Also did you choose those dishes or they were served by default?

One thing that is sorely missing is the pictures. However, thanks for sharing this review
Old 8th June 2012, 12:00   #4421
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
You did not clarify if 1500 was inclusive of taxes and dishes that you mentioned were served in buffet style/ala carte style and was it limited/unlimited.

Also did you choose those dishes or they were served by default?
The menu was à la carte, I didn't see a buffet. It was also fairly extensive so I just asked the server for his recommendations.

The portions aren't very big, overall. Two people could split a starter but if you are a big eater you probably want to order a whole starter for yourself. The main course portions were adequate. You could split the curries or that brilliant biryani.

I should have clarified about the charges. I paid around 2200/head. And, a round of mocktails. The charges include all taxes and tips. I'm not sure if I have retained the bill but I'll see if I can dig it out and give a more detailed breakdown.

I should have taken pictures but I didn't. Probably gives me another reason to visit .

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th June 2012 at 12:18. Reason: No mention of alcohol :)
Old 8th June 2012, 13:02   #4422
BHPian

It costed my friend and I about 8k all inclusive of beverages for lunch at adaa, we ate too much that day. Food was excellent overall, but the pattar ka ghosh was legendary!

The property was beautiful and all but I didn't think much of the palace itself because my school(hps) kind of looks the same , especially the walls and floor.

There's a coffee shop next to adaa that has the most depressing view of the falaknuma slum area but the tea was excellent.
It was good overall but I wouldn't go there again if I was paying.

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th June 2012 at 12:33. Reason: No mention of alcohol on forum please. Read the rules before proceeding. Thanks
Old 8th June 2012, 14:11   #4423
BHPian

Hello Hydeez,

This is my first post on this thread, not so meaningful though. I have so many recomendations already, earlier I used to be confused where should I go and the situation remains the same

Thanks to ranjitnair77, I am surely going to visit Falaknuma during my family's next visit to Hyderabad. It has lured me over the years, but destiny has it
Old 8th June 2012, 17:38   #4424
BHPian

I am sure most of you guys know about the very famous Yusuf Bhai mutton shop at Punjagutta. If not, it is considered to sell the best meat in the city and people come all the way from Gachibowli / Himayatnagar to buy meat at this shop.

Yusuf bhai started a restaurant - Cafe Meridian sometime back and I even advertises it as the hotel of 'famous' Punjagutta mutton shop folks.

One of my friend was asking me about it and I realised that though I go on that route frequently, I never stopped for a bite, one of the reasons being lack of proper car parking. Day before yesterday (a Thursday - veggie day for me) my kids' cousin was in town and they wanted to eat biryani for dinner. I got them take away from Meridian.

Chicken biryani, mutton biryani and tangdi kebab and asked my wife to save some mutton biryani so that I can taste it the next day. While serving the kids and eating myself the next day the first thing I noticed was the quantity - just one leg piece in the CB and some 6-7 small pieces in MB - totally inadequate.

The taste of the biryani was great, liked the flavor, rice well cooked, meat soft and delicious, quantity of rice was good but meat was negligible.

If they improve the meat quantity, it will be my go-to place for biryani.

Bill copy:

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20120607142.jpg
Old 8th June 2012, 19:50   #4425
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Sorry but I could not read all the 293 pages to see if the below restuarants are already listed. So, here are some:

1) Kritinga- Model House, Punjagutta

Awesome rayalaseema food. My favourites: Ragi Muda, Natu kodi Pulusu and since we hyd'badis cannot complete the meal without a Biryani I have Natu kodi Biryani or Kheema Biryani.

2) Lal Bawarchi- Tukka ram gate, Maredpally

I love the Afghani chicken and Chicken/Meat biryani. The snacks are not so good though.

3) Biryani Zone- Lifestyle Building, Begumpet

I loved the Keema biryani this resto served. They closed it and I'm still searching for their new location!

4) Maharaja Chat- Lane beside Talwarkars, Near Madhapur PS

Everything! This guy was in the lane beside Jublee Hills Check post Petrol Bunk. Had to search him for 6 months after he got relocated!

Most Viewed