Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 8th June 2012, 20:08   #4426
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon View Post
2) Lal Bawarchi- Tukka ram gate, Maredpally
Are you sure about Lal Bawarchi. Never found it to be worthwhile paying a visit. Moreover, Tukaram Gate is one place, I would detest to go now. I've spent good amount of my college days at Tukaram Gate at my friends place. We used to hangout at the tea hotel near Tukaram Gate railway tracks/near the statue.

Quote:
3) Biryani Zone- Lifestyle Building, Begumpet
Biryani Zone's been closed ages ago. They have shut their shop and are gone for good. The best Kheema Biryani was served at Bananna Leaff (erstwhile Malgudi) on the first floor of LifeStyle Building. Spent good 3.5 years of my career at LifeStyle Building and knew each waiter at Biryani Zone, Haveli and Malgudi by their name.

If you wish to have a good Kheema Biryani, try Blues at Banjara Hills. This is situated near Meredian School/Talwar Hyundai Service Center at Banjara Hills.
Old 8th June 2012, 20:46   #4427
BHPian

LAL Bawarchi opened only 6 months back. Are you sure this the same one?

My office is behind lifestyle and I was a regular visitor biryani zone. I knew they closed but didn't think it for for good.

Haveli, I never liked their food.

I would try kheema biryani in the place you suggested.

Also, Dine hill at masabtank is one of my fav places too.
Old 8th June 2012, 21:26   #4428
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
I am sure most of you guys know about the very famous Yusuf Bhai mutton shop at Punjagutta. If not, it is considered to sell the best meat in the city and people come all the way from Gachibowli / Himayatnagar to buy meat at this shop.
The crowd on a Sunday morning has to be seen to comprehend the popularity of this shop.

But over all I have found most mutton shops in Hyderabad serve good meat.
Old 8th June 2012, 21:29   #4429
BHPian

Quote:
LaL Bawarchi opened only 6 months back. Are you sure this the same one?
I guess you misread my statement. I said, I have seen Lal Bawarchi and never felt it to be worthwhile. The next statements were about my long standing relationship with Tukaram Gate. That's why I said "I've spent good amount of my college days at Tukaram Gate at my friends place"

Will pay a visit to Lal Bawarchi next time, when I am at Tukaramgate. Lal Bawarchi review once I visit it.

Quote:
I knew they closed but didn't think it for for good.
Gone for good is an idiom used to say that they are closed for ever now . Even the change of management 4 times could not save the sinking ship called as "Biryani Zone".

OT: I remember one instance, where I had Kheema Biryani and my friend had his lunch box sitting with me in Biryani Zone. That was the situation it was in, when it was breathing its last.

If you are located near LifeStyle building. Try out these options.
1. Chicken Parantha Pizza at Parantha Ghar in White House.
2. Chana Rice & Tomato Rice at the small canteen on the first floor at White House. You have to take those steps beside Also/steps opposite to Tibbs Frankie Outlet.
3. Home made Idly at Madhav's Shop on 2nd Floor, LifeStyle Building (Is he still there)?
4. Needs Dhaba near St. Francis College.
5. Vaishnav Dhaba near your office Megasoft (If I am getting it right)
6. Chicken Fried Rice at Flyover Restaurant near Greenlands X Roads (Seen this right from my childhood days, when it was just Flyover Bakery)
Old 8th June 2012, 22:53   #4430
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
I guess you misread my statement. I said, I have seen Lal Bawarchi and never felt it to be worthwhile. The next statements were about my long standing relationship with Tukaram Gate. That's why I said "I've spent good amount of my college days at Tukaram Gate at my friends place"
I surely did!

And the review is purely IMHO.

P.S: Do not visit this place before the June 13th Meet. I do not want all the roadies to bang me for the review.

Quote:
Gone for good is an idiom used to say that they are closed for ever now . Even the change of management 4 times could not save the sinking ship called as "Biryani Zone".
Yup, I used the phrase in the very same sense.

OT: I once remember ordering a coke and I got it after 45 mins and 3 reminders once in every 15 minutes. We used to call them "Gajini's of BZ".

Quote:
OT: I remember one instance, where I had Kheema Biryani and my friend had his lunch box sitting with me in Biryani Zone. That was the situation it was in, when it was breathing its last.
Every time I've been there, the only people in the entire resto were me and my colleagues. I always thought it was on the verge of closing (Exaggerated).

Quote:
If you are located near LifeStyle building. Try out these options.
1. Chicken Parantha Pizza at Parantha Ghar in White House.
Already did and I second to your opinion. I liked it. (I hope you are talking about the same Paratha Ghar which is beside Roll call.

Quote:
2. Chana Rice & Tomato Rice at the small canteen on the first floor at White House. You have to take those steps beside Also/steps opposite to Tibbs Frankie Outlet.
Got that. Would try that out sometime.

Quote:
3. Home made Idly at Madhav's Shop on 2nd Floor, LifeStyle Building (Is he still there)?
Will find out. If he is still there, I'll have the Idlys and give you the review else I'll let you know that he is "gone for good"

Quote:
4. Needs Dhaba near St. Francis College.
After serving (actually still serving) 5 years of imprisonment in the same office , I'm sure I had every possible dish ever served here.

Quote:
5. Vaishnav Dhaba near your office Megasoft (If I am getting it right)
I'm sorry, I don't pay to eat veg.

Quote:
6. Chicken Fried Rice at Flyover Restaurant near Greenlands X Roads (Seen this right from my childhood days, when it was just Flyover Bakery)
Yup, done. I like the fried rice at Alex Kitchen, Himayatnagar more. Since it's at walkable distance from my house, have been having here for over a decade now.

I also like "Spice King - Himayatnagar". Most of them don't so again IMHO.

Anyways, time to hit the sack. Good night.

Last edited by mobike008 : 9th June 2012 at 12:37. Reason: ONLY 2 smileys per post. Do read the rules of the board before proceeding. Thanks!
Old 9th June 2012, 12:50   #4431
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
If you wish to have a good Kheema Biryani, try Blues at Banjara Hills.
IMO, Kheema Biryani is even better at that restuarant in basement next to ICICI HQ in lane next to Begumpet Airport. Not able to recall the name. At point,they had become famous for their KB as Megacity is popular for Sambhar Rice.

Its been couple of years since i last visited but, had it many times and one of the best kheema biryani in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
But over all I have found most mutton shops in Hyderabad serve good meat.
+1. I can list out atleast half a dozen places where people claim best meat is available as quoted by friends and cousins though i personally never visited a meat shop in my life

Quote:
OT: I remember one instance, where I had Kheema Biryani and my friend had his lunch box sitting with me in Biryani Zone.
You got to be kidding me !!!

Quote:
Yup, done. I like the fried rice at Alex Kitchen, Himayatnagar more. Since it's at walkable distance from my house, have been having here for over a decade now.I also like "Spice King - Himayatnagar". Most of them don't so again IMHO.
Been frequenting Alex Kitchen from last 20 years and know Bobby pretty well. But, over the years its gone down the drain. Two chinese places that i hate is Alex and Nanking. Both are unhygenic and use inferior quality stuff to keep their price in check.

I used to order take-away from Spice King many times and its quite inconsistent. One day, food from there will be awesome next day, it would be downright pathetic.

Btw, I too live in Himayathnagar. Where do you stay exactly?
Old 9th June 2012, 13:42   #4432
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
IMO, Kheema Biryani is even better at that restuarant in basement next to ICICI HQ in lane next to Begumpet Airport. Not able to recall the name. At point,they had become famous for their KB as Megacity is popular for Sambhar Rice.

Its been couple of years since i last visited but, had it many times and one of the best kheema biryani in town.
Are you talking about Urvasi Inn? Another place where you get excellent kheema biryani is Hotel Urvasi, Punjagutta, opp NIMS

Quote:
+1. I can list out atleast half a dozen places where people claim best meat is available as quoted by friends and cousins though i personally never visited a meat shop in my life
Those best meat joints are for people who do not know how to buy the meat or what cuts to buy. I personally never went to any of these famous places. Any meat shop is ok for me.

Quote:
Been frequenting Alex Kitchen from last 20 years and know Bobby pretty well. But, over the years its gone down the drain. Two chinese places that i hate is Alex and Nanking. Both are unhygenic and use inferior quality stuff to keep their price in check.

I used to order take-away from Spice King many times and its quite inconsistent. One day, food from there will be awesome next day, it would be downright pathetic.
Alex Kitchen is a gone case now. My fav place in 90's, I stopped going there since last 4-5 years.

Avi, did u try egg rolls at Spice king? Another usually excellent dish at SK is Gongura Mutton.
Old 10th June 2012, 22:00   #4433
BHPian

Took my family for dinner at N Asian, Rd.No.36, Jubilee Hills. Excellent ambience, lot of parking place, attentive staff.

Ordered Manchow chicken soup (2/3) @ 230/- per portion. Superb soup.

Starters were Slow fried prawns (soft, juicy and tasty) @ 650/-, Spicy chicken with crackling spinach (tangy, good) @ 475/-.

Main course of Chilli oil egg fried rice (best of the lot, loved it) @ 300/- and Kung Pao Chicken (it was a little sweetish. When I mentioned this, the captain took it back and spiced it up a little - worked for me) @ 535/-

The captain there, Surender is ex-Ming's court guy and knows me well. Got a 10% discount. Total damages for family of 4, after discount - Rs.3309.00. This includes service charge of 10%, SRV (whatever that means) of 3.71% and VAT of 14.5%

Surender clearly told me that TIPS are already included in the bill so I did not give any.

Overall it was a fine experience though N Asian is expensive compared to Ohris etc. Good for special occasions / dinners.
Old 10th June 2012, 22:17   #4434
BHPian

Quote:

Will find out. If he is still there, I'll have the Idlys and give you the review else I'll let you know that he is "gone for good"
Madhav is still there and his small samosas are too good. Yesterday there
was a get together at home and I took 40 of his small samosas for a group of 8, I got just 1 samosa to taste. Very very nice.
Old 11th June 2012, 08:39   #4435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Madhav is still there and his small samosas are too good. Very very nice.
What and where exactly is "Madhav"? Need some samosas today.

OT : Gadgetfreak & xydon : Lets pool up with Saikatmandal004 and go together on wednesday for the lunch. Please keep me posted and I will meet you all at Lifestyle building gate at 12:15.

I came across Hadippa Urban Dhaba menu (where we are scheduled to have our this week lunch meet) and so sharing the menu with all :
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-hadippamenupage14.jpg
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-hadippamenupage23.jpg
Old 11th June 2012, 09:01   #4436
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Come over to LS and will have tea together and you can taste his samosas or if everyone wants then probably I will get them/or send them across (If I am not joining) on meet day.
Old 11th June 2012, 09:27   #4437
BHPian

Quote:
Come over to LS and will have tea together and you can taste his samosas or if everyone wants then probably I will get them/or send them across (If I am not joining) on meet day.
If you guys are catching up today, I can join. Let me know the time and landmark (since I do not have your numbers yet) and I'll be there.
Old 11th June 2012, 09:33   #4438
BHPian

Quote:
Gadgetfreak & xydon : Lets pool up with Saikatmandal004 and go together on wednesday for the lunch. Please keep me posted and I will meet you all at Lifestyle building gate at 12:15.
Bajaj saab - I will walk down from my office on the other side of the flyover and meet you guys at 12:15 PM in front of Lifestyle.
Old 11th June 2012, 09:34   #4439
BHPian

Quote:
OT : Gadgetfreak & xydon : Lets pool up with Saikatmandal004 and go together on wednesday for the lunch. Please keep me posted and I will meet you all at Lifestyle building gate at 12:15.
That sounds good. Also let me know the color, number and make of the car and I'll hop in
Old 11th June 2012, 09:39   #4440
BHPian

Quote:
You got to be kidding me !!!
I am serious Avi Bhai. This was the condition of Biryani Zone. This was the only restaurant open in LifeStyle building during Telangana Bandhs.

Quote:
+1 on this a zillion times. Avi Bhai, how can you forget Chung Hua? The Awesome Threesome, which should always be avoided due to their deteriorating quality and unhygienic conditions.

Quote:
Madhav is still there and his small samosas are too good.
Good to hear that. Have some good old memories of LS Building. The Idly's and Chota Samosa at Madhav's outlet are amazing.

Quote:
LifeStyle 2nd Floor, near the erstwhile GVK Bio Begumpet Office.

Most Viewed