Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th June 2012, 00:51   #4561
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

The other day I had to go to Toopran, On my way back i found out the place called Highway 44, its near kompally , You get good Biryani here, Prices are reasonable, Ambiance is not that great, If you really want to hog Biryani, Try this place.
Old 26th June 2012, 08:15   #4562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Ankapur style desi chicken has now become a very famous dish and is available in several areas in Hyderabad too. In one outlet at Nizamabad they sell close 300-400 birds cooked every sunday. It is a norm for me to bring Ankapoor desi chicken (cooked at Ankapoor) whenever I come back from a visit to my village.
Ravi, please activate Google Latitude on your phone and add me so that I can track you when you go to to Nizamabad.

Will be waiting for you at your parking lot when you return with the chicken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Ravi boss - When you go to your village next - I will lay siege to your house awaiting your return.

If you want company to try some authentic food - look no further.
Count me in also.
Old 26th June 2012, 08:52   #4563
BHPian

Quote:
Ravi boss - When you go to your village next - I will lay siege to your house awaiting your return.
Sure mate....Will bring some fiery T food for you next time I go to Pendpally.

Quote:

Only one small point of difference - Telangana area, Rayalaseema area, Marathwada area, each have their own distinct styles. To be honest there is a palpable difference in styles between districts. Each small georgraphic area, in fact each family have their own distinct taste.

Cheers,
Agree with you 100%. I was talking in a broader sense. Infact the cooking styles of even the different districts of Telangana are distinct from each other.
Old 26th June 2012, 11:03   #4564
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules

yeah...forget me not....I ve only been hearing you sing praises of Ankapur chicken all these years.

Btw how about a lunch n drive meet, destination Ankapur?
Old 26th June 2012, 11:46   #4565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Did I read it right or is it Pendapally? I guess, should be Pendapally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Will be waiting for you at your parking lot when you return with the chicken.
Me too, would be waiting in your parking lot for everything in offering. The last discussion we had at your place was mouth watering and I am still waiting for those fiery dishes to be doled out from Ravi's Temple of Telangana Food :P
Old 26th June 2012, 12:25   #4566
Distinguished - BHPian

Last Saturday visited the following place

Lunch @Newcafe in Inorbit Mall

We ordered one lunch combo (Indian) which was priced at 199++

There was 2 roomali rotis, Chicken Gravy, Sliced Chicken snack. Each and every item was delicious.

One Lamb Submarine Sandwich which was priced at 399++

It was served with Finger Chips and Pickles and was equally delectable

Dinner was at Marriot Courtyard by using a snapdeal coupon and price came to Rs.500 per person. Ambience was very nice. Even though the offer closes at 11:30pm, they served us when we reached at midnight as an exception.

It seems they are serving 80-90 covers each day due to the coupon offer.

Below is random dishes review

Thupka : It's a tibetian soup and it was light, flavoursome and extremely delicious

Chicken Momos : It was bland, tasteless and horrible

Uttapam made on live counter : This was the best dish in the buffet

It's better that I dont review the main course as each and every dish was extremely bland, tasteless and so casually prepared as if someone was doing it like a chore.

There was Ambada Mutton, Butter Chicken and many other curries, daal etc and all of it was bad

Desserts were nice, nothing spectacular. A picture of it what i could capture

Overall, it was a below average experience and this experience has reinstated my belief that most star properties serve bland, tastless and maybe even re-cycled food.
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img2012062300127.jpg  

Old 26th June 2012, 12:32   #4567
Senior - BHPian

Goli Vada Pav has opened in Hyderabad,I saw it yesterday as I was going from PG Road to Paradise.The outlet is opposit the HDFC Bank.The same place I guess where there was a dirty looking Chinese takeaway place.I can vouch for Goli's VPs in Mumbai,yet to taste the Hyderabad one.Not sure if this place has been reviewed earlier on this thread,if not,from the reputation it carried,it definitely should be an excellent place to go to.

www.golivadapav.com

Tried the Kachi Dabeli at the roadside place near Makhan Bhog on PG Road.Must say it was yummylicious.Made by a lady.Its as original as it could get I guess.Lots of sev,peanuts inside.Worth the money.Priced at INR15.The vada pavs were also excellent.She is there from 230 in the afternoon and her ware gets over by 830 she told us.By the way,she speaks excellent english and as we were standing she was getting big orders of 30Vada Pavs,40Dabelis etc on her phone,so presume she is quite popular in the area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Dinner was at Marriot Courtyard
Belated Bday wishes,I missed seeing the notification on FB.Hope you guys had a wonderful time.

As for the food at Courtyard and their big brother-Marriott,I personally find them useless with all due respects to the people who like these places.There is absolutely no love or passion that goes into the food at these two places.Courtyard atleast is clean as compared to Marriott.The Marriott IMO has such a very familiar stench to it(I guess it comes from the carpets).The three older Tajs are also going the same way with poor service and the attitude sucks big time.Ista is a big downer as well.In today;s 5 Star scene IMO,Westin comes out tops,followed closely by Aditya Sarovar Premiere at Gachibowli.Avasa is way too overpriced and is still not operational fully.There is a Quality Inn Pearl at Gachibowli,I heard their midnight buffet rates and almost fell off,they charge you a princely INR 444 plus plus plus whatever,overall it comes clsoe to INR600 per head in that God Forsaken place.Hyatt too is way too overpriced(rooms as well as restaurants,rooms are at around 12k per night).These places better pull up their socks fast or else they could be sitting there doing nothing.

We were at the new Cinemax,Inorbit Mall,Gachibowli all the way from Sainikpur to watch Ferrari ka Sawaari.Just wanted to check out the new place.In my opinion,if you are going there with old people,people who have knee problems,leg problems,etc please dont even venture anywhere close to this cinema.First of all I dont think those halls have been officially cleared to screen movies,because the halls are way way too cramped.The audi we went too was so small,people were packed inside like sardines.The way it is designed is that you enter the hall at a height and then you need to climb down to the 1st row(the opposite of the PVR screens).Now the problem with this is that the passage to climb down is through the middle,the space between two steps is so huge that you literally feel you would topple over any moment.There are no railings or anything to hold onto on either side,the elderly people were having such a tough time.Secondly there is only one way you can get into the rows(that is from the middle)So if you have a seat at the other end of the row,you need to wriggle yourself through some 18pairs of legs!.In case of an emergency,these halls are a sure shot death trap.I am definitely not going back there.PVR and INOX are still the best in the business.I was at Prasads the other day for a Malayalam movie(unfortunately prasads is the only cinema that screens Mal movies and that too at such a God forbidded time of 8 in the morning)and the halls are in pretty bad shape.Another problem with Cinemax is that there is only booking window at the ground floor and one window on the top floor,one can easily imagine the rush.Eatables are horribly priced.Tibbs Frankie at food court is INR 50,the same frankie inside Cinemax starts at INR95!The icing on the cake was their Aircon management,worked fine till the interval.After interval and around 10minutes,they shut it off and then it came back on around 10minutes before the end.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 26th June 2012 at 12:56.
Old 26th June 2012, 13:07   #4568
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Belated Bday wishes,I missed seeing the notification on FB.Hope you guys had a wonderful time.
Thanks Ranjit. Yeah, we had a pretty good time painting the town red the whole day

In Multiplexes, Prasad is still the best in terms of accesibility, parking, options inside the complex, decent theatre hygiene etc.

I hate PVR and Cinemax as they are cramped as you rightly mentioned.

INOX is also good but, somehow I am little hesitant to visit GVK mall as it always seems too crowded.

P.S: btw, whenever your righting a long post. Could you please break-up your paragraphs as reading them becomes a bit tough
Old 26th June 2012, 16:00   #4569
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Did I read it right or is it Pendapally? I guess, should be Pendapally.
Pendpally it is

I will be going to my native place sometime next month and this time I promise to get the Ankapoor chicken for you.
Old 26th June 2012, 16:00   #4570
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Dinner was at Marriot Courtyard by using a snapdeal coupon and price came to Rs.500 per person.

Overall, it was a below average experience and this experience has reinstated my belief that most star properties serve bland, tastless and maybe even re-cycled food.
Is Marriott still running that Snapdeal coupon thingy. I think it has been there for more than a year now as last year during this time, I had treated my friends to a party for my birthday at the same place. We were all very excited that we are going to MARRIOTT but that excitement soon died down as soon as we went to the main dining area. The staff there are completely uninterested. Even though they claimed around 148 items in the menu on that day, it was completely boring. None of the dishes tasted good except for some pastries and croissants.

Anyway, I think that most of the lunch/dinner guests go to Marriott only because of the Snapdeal coupon.
Old 26th June 2012, 16:15   #4571
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Is Marriott still running that Snapdeal coupon thingy. I think it has been there for more than a year now as last year during this time
Yes, its still there. Even Dealsandyou have the same coupon.

DnY have learnt a lesson and make the coupon now redeemable instantly as opposed to previously 24 hours before you can redeem it.

I strongly urge you all not to waste 500 bucks on that inedible thing served as "Food"

Rather spend that money at an earthy place like Papaji Ka Dhaba or Delhi Durbar

P.S: I noticed that Reshmi's restuarant in parklane is closed and they seemed to be undergoing a renovation.
Old 26th June 2012, 16:16   #4572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Goli Vada Pav has opened in Hyderabad,I saw it yesterday as I was going from PG Road to Paradise.The outlet is opposit the HDFC Bank.The same place I guess where there was a dirty looking Chinese takeaway place.I can vouch for Goli's VPs in Mumbai,yet to taste the Hyderabad one.Not sure if this place has been reviewed earlier on this thread,if not,from the reputation it carried,it definitely should be an excellent place to go to.
Goli Vada Pav is nice. There is one outlet in SR Nagar. Have tried there as it's close to my place.

Also try the Vada Pav Factory on the Madhapur main road, just before the Indian Oil Pump on the main road. They serve some nice stuff.

Their menu has the regular VP, Regular Grilled, Regular with Cheese and Grilled, Regular with S.Sauce and Cheese. Very reasonably priced too.

Truly Mumbai style.
Old 26th June 2012, 18:48   #4573
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Goli Vada Pav is nice. There is one outlet in SR Nagar. Have tried there as it's close to my place.
There are quite a few in Bangalore, but somehow, I always found vadas oily. I talked to one of the owners(franchise) and he said that all they do is reheat the ones which they get from "goli". That kind of put me off.
Old 26th June 2012, 20:12   #4574
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post

Truly Mumbai style.
There is a Goli outlet in Aiyappa Society (lane opp IOC Petrol bunk in Madhapur). The Vada Pav I tried was nice - It took them 15 minutes after I placed an order to serve (refried I guess). It was piping hot and very authentic Mumbai / Karjat style. The basic VP I tried was 20 bucks so a little on the higher side but overall I liked it.
Old 27th June 2012, 12:43   #4575
BHPian

I am driving to Hyderabad this Saturday, hence was going through the food reviews here. I'm happy there are a lot of foodies in Hyderabad who take their food very seriously.
These are things I do not want to miss in this visit, kindly advice me the best places to have them. preferably close to Sec'bad.
1) Pathar ka gosht
2) Paya
3) Mirchi Bajji

Also guys any advice on decent hotel in and around Sec'bad would be appreciated. It is a guys only trip and the maximum budget per room is 2k.

Most Viewed