Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th February 2013, 17:58   #5341
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Looks like Hyderabadi Bhpian foodies are too busy eating out to update the thread.
The Ofen-
I had mixed experience at The Ofen, Banjara Hills last week. I ordered one Birthday cake(White Forest). The cake was extremely ordinary. No way worth the price they charged which was quite close to Labonel. They charge an additional 400 per KG for eggless variety.
Didn't charge any advance but didn't give any receipt either on the day of delivery citing some issue with the printer. Though they were generating the bill for restaurant customers. I am sure the employees are taking the owner for a ride.
The Midways at Nagarjuna circle does much better job at these kind of cakes at half the price. The sponge cake used in it was dry(I like it moist). Regret not going a few meters ahead to Labonel. Labonel's end products are indeed outstanding but I must admit that the buying experience at Labonel leaves a lot to be desired.
The Ofen's swiss mobile baking unit is indeed wood fired as I saw from the parking area. Found them selling Banana Walnut cake(loaf) and also Carrot walnut cake(again in loaf form). I was extremely delighted to see the two items as I was looking for them ever since I have tasted them at the Bakery at ICRISAT few years back. The second item which I hoped I would find here was Almond Biscotti, but unfortunately they don't make those.
The taste of both the cakes were good and priced at 150 per loaf. Ordered BBQ chicken burger and Orange Iced Tea. The Iced tea was not mixed well, it was warm at bottom and cool at the top(due to the ice cubes).
Sipping it through the straw therefore gave me a rude shock. The Burger was amazing though. Made from their own brown bun. Loaded with a generous fillet of grilled chicken dripping with BBQ sauce.
Served with excellent herb spiced potato wedges and creamy coleslaw. It needs to be eaten to be believed. My encounter with burgers have been limited to McDonald and KFC, compared to them this was a royal experience. Burger was priced at INR 181 and Iced tea at INR 57

Swadh-
There is this North Indian/awadhi restaurant Swadh above Heritage at Botanical Gargen road, Masjid Banda, Gachibowli(Beside Jaguar Land Rover workshop).
This is a new place. The prices are reasonable for a fine diner. Over past 2 visits to this place I tried Tandoori prawns, Tandoori chicken, Angaara Kabab, Chilli Chicken, Chicken Tikka Masala, Methi chaman.
Each and every item was well made and yummy. There is a live instrumental music performance by a tabla and Banjo player duo. Ambiance is nice and spacious.
But the star of both the visits were Taftaan and Sheermal. Both are cardamom and milk flavored Lakhnawi tandoori breads and are absolutely out of this world. Extremely rich in taste and texture. Taftaan is dry and flaky while Sheermal is saffron colored and butter coated. Must visit place atleast for these two items that are served there.
They also have happy hours offer from 3-8 pm. They have another BarBeCue cum buffet restaurant on roof top called The Tiny Village which is just okay. The service is a bit slow.

Last edited by huntrz : 27th February 2013 at 18:18.
Old 27th February 2013, 21:29   #5342
BHPian

I have shifted base to Hong Kong for a couple of months atleast, so no updates on Hyderabadi stuff from my side.

While on this topic, the choice of food in HK is amazing, but I'm sure vegans will have it really tough. One of my colleagues is a vegetarian and even in our cafeteria, when he tells the server that he wants vegetarian, all he does is put some added vegetables along with the Pork or Beef.

Otherwise, I have had my share of sushi, sashimi, eel, pork ribs and what not in the first week itself.

Incidentally, two dishes that I had from here, beef briskets in curry sauce was very much like the Kerala style 'Naadan' Beef curry while, Sardines in tomato puree is almost like the Kerala style fish curry (Meen Mulakittathu). Makes me wonder how such distinct food styles that you thought were your own are found replicated in some far corners of the world.

Anyway I think i should start a separate travelogue to chronicle my Hong Kong eating experiences rather than hijacking this thread.
Old 28th February 2013, 07:39   #5343
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Ordered BBQ chicken burger and Orange Iced Tea. The Burger was amazing though. Made from their own brown bun. Loaded with a generous fillet of grilled chicken dripping with BBQ sauce.
Served with excellent herb spiced potato wedges and creamy coleslaw. It needs to be eaten to be believed. My encounter with burgers have been limited to McDonald and KFC, compared to them this was a royal experience.
Though Universal Bakery very near to Paradise on MG Road in Secunderabad is no more what it used to be a couple of decades back in terms of quality, but still, unless one has eaten a burger there, one cannot compare a good burger in this twin cities. KFC/McD do not even qualify to be compared.
Old 28th February 2013, 13:37   #5344
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Swadh-There is this North Indian/awadhi restaurant Swadh above Heritage at Botanical Gargen road, Masjid Banda, Gachibowli(Beside Jaguar Land Rover workshop). Over past 2 visits to this place I tried Tandoori prawns, Tandoori chicken, Angaara Kabab, Chilli Chicken, Chicken Tikka Masala, Methi chaman.
Each and every item was well made and yummy. There is a live instrumental music performance by a tabla and Banjo player duo. Ambiance is nice and spacious. But the star of both the visits were Taftaan and Sheermal.
Thanks Navin for this tip. Is it in the lane of Botanical Gardens? Share some sample pricing to get an understanding of how expensive or inexpensive it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
I have shifted base to Hong Kong for a couple of months atleast, so no updates on Hyderabadi stuff from my side.
Having visited a few South Asian cities, I can imagine its a NV delight. But, I never liked any of the NV food available there as it is truly raw and emnates too much smell to enjoy it.

How about starting a thread in SH only on food in Hong Kong? I beileve there was such a thread by someone in the past on Oriental food

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Though Universal Bakery very near to Paradise on MG Road in Secunderabad is no more what it used to be a couple of decades back in terms of quality, but still, unless one has eaten a burger there, one cannot compare a good burger in this twin cities. KFC/McD do not even qualify to be compared.
+1 Bajaj Saab. Universal Bakery at Paradise was the benchmark for good burgers. Many girls use to come just to ogle at the handsome white haired owner sitting on the counter with a permanent cigarette dangling from his lip

But, King and Cardinal came and de-throned them and they still rule in terms of a good burger ( Desi Style). Not the dry types of KFC or McD with just a bland cutlet inside with lettuce leaf hanging out of the burger...hehe!

My Favorite in burgers in sequential order is :-

1. King and Cardinal, Himayathnagar
2. Keep forgetting the name of this bakery, Srinagar Colony
3. Vacs, Kharhana
4. Mountain Bakery, Rd. No. 1, Banjara Hills

Have been to Universal Bakery for Burger in Himayathnagar. Its pathetic. I dont know why they arent shutting shop.

Will eat from UB at Paradise and pass a final judgement on them...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
I know I have been traveling a lot and was not eating out at Hyderabad and do not have much to share but whats with you all guys? No one is eating out? If I do not see this thread on the first page, I feel very disappointed.
Oh! Going to gym has consoled me to some extent. Therefore, eating out has remained steady at 2-3 times a week. Been to many places which were already reviewed here like Mega City, Sholay, Gufaa, Minerva etc so didnt mention it here.

Last evening, mom expressed a sudden urge to eat chinese and she wanted specifically to go to Mainland China, Begumpet

We landed up there at 9pm. Ambience is just fine. It's certainly doesnt ooze a fine dining atmosphere. Wish we went there for lunch, could have met the entire Indian Cricket Team

We ordered the following

Veg Snack ( Fried Noodles in corn, served on bed of lettuce). Very different snack

Chilly Fish. Excellent taste but, low quanity

Special Veg Gravy dish with veggies in Chinese Green Parsley Sauce. It was good

Veg Schezwan Noodles. This was excellent but, mom found it spicy

Above was washed down with 3 beverages

Veg dishes start at Rs.395

Soups start at Rs.200. Veg Noodles start from Rs.390

Seafood starts at Rs.650. Chicken and Meat Dishes start at Rs.495

This is 5 star pricing in a 1-star ambience.

Final Damages was Rs.3,300

Verdict: I will never step into Mainland China again for Ala-Carte

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th February 2013 at 14:28.
Old 28th February 2013, 13:58   #5345
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My Favorite in burgers in sequential order is :-
2. Keep forgetting the name of this bakery, Srinagar Colony
Are you referring to Big Byte at Sri Nagar Colony?

I love the Chicken Sandwich and Sugar Donuts at Mountain Bakery. One of the best I have ever had.
Old 28th February 2013, 14:25   #5346
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Final Damages was Rs.3,300

Verdict: I will never step into Mainland China again for Ala-Carte
Oh! Forgot to mention the taxes are as follows

Service Charges : 10%
Vat on Food : 14.50%
service tax : 4.944%

Total 30% Taxes and I think we paid close to 600 bucks only on taxes

Guys, if you value your hard earned money. Please dont go to mainland china or any such restuarants who rip you off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Are you referring to Big Byte at Sri Nagar Colony?
Thanks Nikhil. Yeah, the very same BB. Best Mutton Burgers in town. I never liked their chicken burgers. Its been atleast a year now that I had there. The owner knows me pretty well

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
I love the Chicken Sandwich and Sugar Donuts at Mountain Bakery. One of the best I have ever had.
Oh yeah. Infact, their puffs and all other snack items are also very good. It's a good place for a quick bakery bite

Another bakery I love is at Diamond Point, Sikh Village. Forgot the name once again, its bang on the circle and diagonally opposite to the Irani Cafe

Best Chicken Puffs in town.
Old 28th February 2013, 14:30   #5347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Another bakery I love is at Diamond Point, Sikh Village. Forgot the name once again, its bang on the circle and diagonally opposite to the Irani Cafe

Best Chicken Puffs in town.
Its Cindrella Bakery.

They also serve the best chicken toast in town.

Cake magic at center point serves the best chicken cutlet i have tasted in twin cities.

Waseem.
Old 28th February 2013, 15:04   #5348
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Navin for this tip. Is it in the lane of Botanical Gardens? Share some sample pricing to get an understanding of how expensive or inexpensive it is
Correct, on the road from Kothaguda signal towards Gachibowli, you take a right after Ratandeep to land in the Botanical garden lane. Then you have to keep going straight until you see Heritage Fresh on your right.
As far as I can recall all the chicken dishes were between 150-200.
Specifically I remember Chi. Tikka Masala was INR 175,
Tandoori Chicken(Full)- INR 250,
Naans, Kulchas, Taftan, Sheermal etc were INR 35

The BBQ buffet upstairs at The Tiny Village is 399++ for lunch and 499++ for dinner which includes one drink

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th February 2013 at 15:06. Reason: Alcohol discussion is NOT permitted on entire forum not any one specific thread :)
Old 28th February 2013, 15:09   #5349
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Its Cindrella Bakery. They also serve the best chicken toast in town.Cake magic at center point serves the best chicken cutlet i have tasted in twin cities.
Thanks. Cindrella. Its hard to remember so many names. Either I should cut down my eating out or keep a secretary who has won a spell bee or a memory contest to help me out with these names

Quote:
As far as I can recall all the chicken dishes were between 150-200.Specifically I remember Chi. Tikka Masala was INR 175,
Tandoori Chicken(Full)- INR 250,
Naans, Kulchas, Taftan, Sheermal etc were INR 35

The BBQ buffet upstairs at The Tiny Village is 399++ for lunch and 499++ for dinner which includes one drink
Thanks. These prices are right up my alley. I love such prices. Anything above these pricing is simply loot-maar ( rip-off)
Old 28th February 2013, 23:57   #5350
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Then try and find someone who can get you inside http://www.metro.co.in/public/Home
I happened to visit Metro on Tuesday.

Have never seen such poor quality of fish anywhere.
The black pomfrets were at least 2-3 days old. Glazed eyes and mashy gills.
The Halibut had the unmistakable stench of rot setting in.

Buyers beware!
Old 1st March 2013, 23:33   #5351
BHPian

A new assignment and I am back to Uppal location of my organization and back to night shifts. The Metro rail track work is in full swing and heavy machinery on work has become a daily sight. The HULK like cranes don't cease to amaze me. The pace of work doubles up in night (seems so).

First Friday since I came here and how could I let it go without a lil celebration. Was longing pay a visit to 'Mukarram' in Amberpet. Did that half an hour back.

Talawa gosh(t) - Rs.45 X 2 - Loved it.
Sheekh kabab - Rs. 15 - So so.
Chicken masala - Rs. 55 - Good.
Tandoori roti - Rs. 8 X 5 - As usual, good only till hot.
Water bottle - Rs. 20.

Total - Rs. 220 for 2.

This place is just like Alhumdullilah and Prince, not at all female guest fiendly.

My friend (non-hyderabaadi): What kind of place is this? Bloody nobody even looks at you let alone taking your order. No customer centricity at all!!! You dare not tip a rupee.
Me: Customer centricity here?? What??

PS for non-hyderabaadi's - Talawa gosh(t) and Sheekh kabab are beef items even though it is called 'mutton'.
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:00   #5352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
PS for non-hyderabaadi's - Talawa gosh(t) and Sheekh kabab are beef items even though it is called 'mutton'.
At Alhamdulillah, Prince and such places 'mutton' is only beef.

Can you post some directions to Mukarram? Will try it out next time I am in that area.

A friend introduced me to this place called Varma's restaurant, Borabanda. They serve something called 'butta biryani' (butta = basket) which is pulao rice topped with chicken, mutton, prawns, fish and emu - all fried and on top of it 2 pieces of crispy fried chicken, all packed in a bamboo basket.

Costs Rs.370.00 for take away and is good for 3 adults. Got one for lunch yesterday. Reasonably good if you like 'fried' biryani concept. The rice has good flavor and is spicy. Their other specialties are mutton mango and gongura prawns.

I heard about a new place, Palamuru Grills at Ayyappa Society. Apparently they serve authentic 'veta' mamsam (game meat - goat) cooked Mahabubnagar - Palamuru style. Anyone tried it yet?
Old 3rd March 2013, 12:53   #5353
BHPian

Quote:
Can you post some directions to Mukarram? Will try it out next time I am in that area.
http://goo.gl/maps/jCbOQ

Here is the direction from Uppal. Keep looking towards your right after you cross Ramanthapur lake, HPS, TV Tower. Take a right when you spot a China Bazaar (on the right) and you won't miss it. No place for parking cars. You will have to go further inside the lane and park in the residential area. Pretty much safe and hassle free. Parking space for bike isn't an issue.

There is also a Madina hotel in the area. Not sure if it is still open. Will get you a report in coming weeks.

BTW, do you know of any such places in and around Secunderabad/ECIL/Moula-Ali/Karkhana?
Old 8th March 2013, 17:18   #5354
BHPian

No idea about such places in Secunderabad / ECIL etc. Never ate much in those areas.

My kids' exams are on presently - 10th ICSE for elder one and 7th CBSE for younger one. With the exams season and my travel schedule - going out / eating out has been on hold for sometime but last night my elder kid suddenly wanted to eat Chinese. Since there is a 2 day break after today's exam, my wife went out with her friends and I took my kids for lunch to Chinese Pavilion.

The menu is changed and prices increased. Now all the non veg dishes cost Rs.310/-.

We ate Manchow chicken soup 2/3 @ 130/- each. Yummilicious soup with crispy noodles. For starter we had spicy chicken dry red chilly @310/-. Very tasty, nice and spicy but I wished the chicken pieces were a bit chunkier.

For main course we had chicken fried rice @ 200/- and Sapo Chicken @ 310/-

Fried rice was the usual - simple and tasty, the chicken curry was great. Liked it a lot.

The service as usual was excellent. Had a long chat with the owner. He says with the chicken hovering around Rs.160-180/- per kg, they had to increase the rates.

Total bill came to Rs.1134/- which includes Rs.54/- VAT. No service tax or service charges.

Last edited by NoRules : 8th March 2013 at 17:35.
Old 9th March 2013, 04:51   #5355
BHPian

Quote:
Total bill came to Rs.1134/- which includes Rs.54/- VAT. No service tax or service charges.
Service Charge is not a tax but a charge levied by an establishment so it is a personal prerogative as to when they wish to levy it. Glad to know that Chinese Pavilion does not levy this atrocious charge.

Service Tax is a tax levied by Government of India. As soon as the budget proposals of 2013 are approved and implemented, get ready to shell out Service Tax at many establishments which were earlier not charging it, including Chinese Pavilion. The new rule proposed states that all establishments whether serving or not serving liqour but are air-conditioned need to collect Service Tax and pay it to the Govt. Earlier rule was that only air-conditioned establishments which also serve liqour could collect the tax.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks