Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th March 2013, 18:53   #5461
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
This seems to be an innovation that has backfired. The Thais (since your spring rolls were with a Thai filling) make the same rather spicy BUT ... deep fried wrapped in Pandanus leaves, which has a distinct light pleasant aroma. Chicken doesn't work with banana leaves. Fish does, as long as there is an aromatic marinade.
Yes, your right. I had fish ( Korimeenu Chetu or some such in banana leaf and it was heavenly) but, chicken doesnt go well with banana.

Their was no masala,no salt, no flavour. Zilch

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
HUH? That is like saying "I ate without opening my mouth at all".
....These days I have stopped taking foodie pictures as iam getting a scolding from my better half but, i still brave it out and sometimes cannot resist taking them. I reckon, my passion for food wins over embarrasment

Besides, this line also bring's to people's notice that my phone camera does a decent job even in low light without a flash...LOL
Old 1st April 2013, 00:17   #5462
BHPian

Finally ate at the new Cafe Bahar @begumpet.

We (wife, son and I) reached the place at around 12.30 and were seated after a 10 minute wait. Since none of us had much breakfast and were famished, the divine smells of the place made it the longest and most agonizing 10 minutes ever!!!

Ordered one Double Chicken Double Masala biryani for the three of us. The aroma of the masala the succulent chicken and perfectly cooked basmati rice made this a delight.

More than half way thru we realised that we needed more, so ordered a plate of Single Chicken Double Masala biryani. We planned to parcel any leftovers but it was not to be. The taste coupled with our hunger ensured that the second one vanished in record time.

Nothing completes biryani than an irani chai at the end. Yes, Bahar has chai on the menu and it was brought in a flask from the takeaway zone downstairs and poured into a cup n saucer and served. Delightful!!!

When we stepped out to the lift lobby we thanked the stars that we came pretty early! The lobby and the entire staircase down three floors were packed tight with sweating people waiting in the heat to be seated. We had waited only 10 minutes seated in the air con inside.

Tip: turn up before 1pm for lunch esp on weekends.

Now the verdict. Is it better than Paradise? Both I and my wife thought so! But to be fair we have to eat once at Paradise under same conditions of near starvation and find out how we enjoyed it.

2 things in favour of Bahar over Paradise:

1) the chicken pieces were better

2) they serve chai at the table.

Should Paradise be scared? Yes, again. They already are I think, looking at the enormous hoarding they have purchased almost opposite Bahar!

2 problems with Bahar:

1) no car parking in premises. Valet parking is mandatory. The valet parks the car far away but to their credit they manage it quite efficiently. People who usually avoid handing cars to valets better come in public transport.

2) they dont accept credit cards and we came to know this only after we entered. Normally I dont carry cash more than around 200 with me on any day (am a card guy) but luckily today both I and my wife happened to carry enough cash to cover the bill.
Old 1st April 2013, 11:21   #5463
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
When we stepped out to the lift lobby we thanked the stars that we came pretty early! The lobby and the entire staircase down three floors were packed tight with sweating people waiting in the heat to be seated. We had waited only 10 minutes seated in the air con inside.

Tip: turn up before 1pm for lunch esp on weekends.
Last night I was returning from my village and there was a traffic jam in front of Cafe Bahaar around 8.30PM. So many cars and 2 wheelers.
Old 1st April 2013, 11:47   #5464
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday at noon, picked up a Double Mutton, Double Masala Biryani (DMDM) from the newly opened "Hotel Bahar" at Begumpet.

This new joint seems to be the flavour of this season as every hydeez seems to be heading there to try out biryani

I was in and out in 5 minutes but, while passing in front of it 30 mins later saw a queue till outside.

DMDM was priced at Rs.220. Quantity is good for 2 people, maybe 3 also. Rice grain was long ( not as long as Paradise or Prince), flavoursome, plenty of meat pieces which were well cooked and had good scent to entire biryani. Mirchi Ka Salan was OK'sh, nothing great

Overall, a good biryani for sure and finally someone who came a tad closer to Paradise. But, for me Paradise is still way ahead in overall taste of mutton biryani.

Hope they retain the quality for a long time and not become another Cafe style hotel and maintain the cleaniness and quality of the Biryani.

Next time will dine-in and try out their Chicken Biryani.
Old 1st April 2013, 12:34   #5465
Team-BHP Support

How does the new Bahar compare with the old Bahar in terms of takeaway?
Old 1st April 2013, 13:05   #5466
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
How does the new Bahar compare with the old Bahar in terms of takeaway?
Never took a take-away from Bahar (Hyderguda) but, had dine-in their restuarant a few times. It was always inconsistent. One time good, next time very bad etc.

Hence, I had stopped visiting this outlet 1-2 years ago. Besides, I was never a fan of their Biryani

Compared to this outlet, Begumpet seems far better. In terms of quality and cleanliness.
Old 4th April 2013, 12:07   #5467
BHPian

Cafe Bahar it was last weekend. Take Away - A chicken jumbo biryani from the begumpet outlet.
Biryani was perfectly cooked and the chicken pieces were tender enough to melt in my mouth within seconds. It was sufficient for 6 of us with some home cooked food also included. Else, it should be very much sufficient for 5 pax. A total satisfaction and value for money. I would rate it equally good compared to Paradise.

After reading so many reviews about "Over the Flames", finally got an opportunity to visit the place last week. Here is my view about the place and food.

Ambience - Not so great! Unfortunately it was power cut time and we had to survive under a fan and some dishes from the menu were not available as well.
Food - I just have one word, Great!
Started with Potato Wedges, some veg salad, Thym Chicken and a soup. All of them were very yummy except that the soup was not hot (Reason : Power cut again!)
Then we jumped on to Chicken Speghatti and it was really melting in our mouth. One of the best I have tasted!
Its the turn of pizzas now and we ordered a chicken pizza and 2 veg pizzas. All of them were very tasty with their ultra thin crusts.
A little disappointment with the last dish - Chicken Risotta as it was too bland for my taste buds.
Final Verdict - A great meal i would say and it lived upto my expectations.
Total damages : Rs 2100
Old 5th April 2013, 16:05   #5468

Bahar is opening another outlet in KPHB Colony [next to Anupama Hospital on JNTU road] from today evening onwards.
Old 5th April 2013, 19:43   #5469
Senior - BHPian

Chutneys-SP Road

Was at Chutneys the other night.I still cant get over the fact that we paid the kind of money we paid for the dishes we ate there.We had vowed never to go to Chutneys after all the previous bad experiences but we had a guest from out of town and apparently somebody told them that Chutneys was "the" place to go to for south Indian fare.Two measly idlis cost a little over INR 50(with taxes),a masala dosa at INR 100(with taxes).The chutneys on offer were so substandard except for the peanut chutney.The North Indian fare on offer is all priced at INR 220 approx-thats atrocious IMHO.

For all that money they charge the least one can expect is a decent menu card to offer the guests and not those chutney stained and sambhar stained and "dog-eared" menu cards which you would think 10 times before actually touching those cards.Maybe thats the reason they have installed sanitisers all over the restaurant-use them before and after touching their menu cards.Another sickening aspect is,if you happen to choose your seating near one of those serving counters where these people come and place your order before getting them onto your table then God help you with the "Chutneys" experience.Each one of those serving counters has two big plastic tubs placed on top of them to dump all the used cutlery and plates and once those tubs are filled to the brim,they are taken away and replaced with fresh tubs.I dont have to necessarily describe the scene and aroma that wafts through from those tubs.As we were walking out of the restaurant we were more or less decided that this is nothing but a looting "darshini".I am glad that the visitors from out of town changed their opinion of the Chutney experience

On the food front,food was average to good.We stuck to the South Indian fare,some people got good idlis and some people got super sour Idlis(probably the batter was from two different times)
Old 6th April 2013, 09:18   #5470
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Was at Chutneys the other night.

For all that money they charge the least one can expect is a decent menu card to offer the guests and not those chutney stained and sambhar stained and "dog-eared" menu cards which you would think 10 times before actually touching those cards.
The menu's have been intentionally "chutney stained" as the restaurant is named "Chutneys".

Minerva Coffee Shop at Somajiguda is also priced as high or maybe even higher. 3 plates idli, 2 rava dosa, 1 masala dosa, 1 water, 2 colas and 1 diet cola costed 619/-.
Old 6th April 2013, 14:55   #5471
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Was at Chutneys the other night.I still cant get over the fact that we paid the kind of money we paid for the dishes we ate there
Which branch of Chutney's was this? I have similar feelings. My review below

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Minerva Coffee Shop at Somajiguda is also priced as high or maybe even higher. 3 plates idli, 2 rava dosa, 1 masala dosa, 1 water, 2 colas and 1 diet cola costed 619/-.
Not as high as Chutneys. We ordered almost the same and look at our total bill below

After an early morning ride today me, Rajesh Rawal and Xydon went to "Chutneys" Jubilee Hills for breakfast

We ordered the following :-

3 Plates Babai Idli ( Rs. 69 ++)
2 Dosas ( 96 ++)
1 Pongal
2 Fresh Lime Soda
1 Chocolate Cofee Shake
1 Coffee

Total Damages : Rs.900

Idli was soft and good. Nothing out of the world but, priced at 75 bucks inclusive of taxes is ridiculous

Dosa was below average. Limp, Tasteless and made with zero interest

Pongal was not liked by Xydon either

Fresh Lime soda was served in a plastic western style container and was lukewarm. This pissed me off since we were hot and tired after the ride and wanted a cold drink

Coffee was also average. Nowhere close to Taj Mahal or Minverva

Overall, a place for NRI's or people from out of Hyderabad ( as quoted by Rajesh Rawal) who think authentic south indian food means CHUTNEYS

I would avoid going to this place at all times

Here is the supposedly famous Babai Idly. Dont know whats so special they charge a loot for it.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-_dsc5675.jpg
Old 6th April 2013, 15:45   #5472
BHPian

^^ Absolutely. Chutneys is just looting people. Never found it either vfm or liked the food. Poorna tiffins in yousufguda is anyday better than Chutneys . Minerva is anyday better than Chutneys. I prefer the Jubilee Hills Minerva for its ambiance (although minimal and simple) and decent service and more importantly good VFM.
Old 6th April 2013, 16:38   #5473
BHPian

Cant resist joining the Chutney's bashing.

Years ago when we first moved to HYD, I got picked up from the Begumpet airport by the company driver and since it was dinner time and I am a self-respecting foodie, I asked where I could have a good enjoyable South Indian meal. "Chutneys" - bang came the reply. I did end up having food there - and after tasting the dosa, sambar and the chutneys - seriously wondered if this was the best Hyd had to offer ....

After being dragged to Chutneys umpteen times over the years by zealous relatives, here's my take :
- Idlis and Dosa are average - no worse or better than most places - nothing to dislike though
- Sambar is pathetic - sweet, with hardly any veggies and devoid of any fresh flavour ... that they usually serve it lukewarm from transparent jugs placed at the 'service counter' makes it all the more unpalatable
- Chutneys - of the six standard ones on offer, 1-2 of them are ok, the rest are below average and nothing to look forward to
- The pricing is premium - but other than the decor which is good - there is nothing worthwhile

I'd prefer having idli/ dosa at a roadside bandi - over Chutneys !

Last edited by RoadTiger : 6th April 2013 at 16:41.
Old 6th April 2013, 20:00   #5474
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaka46 View Post
Minerva is anyday better than Chutneys. I prefer the Jubilee Hills Minerva for its ambiance (although minimal and simple) and decent service and more importantly good VFM.
Been to Minerva J.H but, my favorite is Minvera Himyathnagar which is the original outlet. Simply awesome taste for almost all items and great coffee too and pricing is respectfully below Chutneys

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
- Idlis and Dosa are average - no worse or better than most places - nothing to dislike though
- Sambar is pathetic - sweet, with hardly any veggies and devoid of any fresh flavour ... that they usually serve it lukewarm from transparent jugs placed at the 'service counter' makes it all the more unpalatable
- Chutneys - of the six standard ones on offer, 1-2 of them are ok, the rest are below average and nothing to look forward to
- The pricing is premium - but other than the decor which is good - there is nothing worthwhile
+1 to all points above

Regarding Sambhar, your bang on. However, the initial sambhar served when we were served was hot and tasted good but, subsequent refill as your rightly described was through those jugs which is so distasteful? Even small restuarants simply bring another cup of hot sambhar instead of serving through a huge container like they do in marriages

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
I'd prefer having idli/ dosa at a roadside bandi - over Chutneys !
Again will have to agree with you. For the real taste of south indian and bandhi food, all have to step out of the Hitec City/Gachibowli area which is corrupting people with overpriced average food

A few of the most awesome places to eat south indian bandhi food are :-

1. Pragati, Abids
2. Another new outlet near to Pragati. Awesome idlis, Fried Idlis, Dosas etc
3. Laxman in Dhoolpet ( one of the best bandhi food)
4. Scoops, Just ahead of Karachi Bakery Mosamjahi Bakery
5. Couple of superb bandhis near Begum Bazar X Roads

We are partial towards Pragati Idli and Dosa and my wife eats dosa ONLY if it's from Pragati
Old 6th April 2013, 21:56   #5475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
A few of the most awesome places to eat south indian bandhi food are :-

1. Pragati, Abids
2. Another new outlet near to Pragati. Awesome idlis, Fried Idlis, Dosas etc
3. Laxman in Dhoolpet ( one of the best bandhi food)
4. Scoops, Just ahead of Karachi Bakery Mosamjahi Bakery
5. Couple of superb bandhis near Begum Bazar X Roads

We are partial towards Pragati Idli and Dosa and my wife eats dosa ONLY if it's from Pragati
Have tried only Pragati of the list above partly because I stay in the HiTech side of town - Pragati dosa is awesome ! the butter, paneer dosa is just lipsmackingly good. My wife and I have traveled the 15-20 kms to get to Pragati just for the dosa. Obviously, spent more on fuel in getting there - than the cost of the dosa - which is complete VFM at 30 bucks for butter paneer and 20 bucks for just butter.

The idlis are super soft and the chutney is pretty decent ... used to be 10 bucks for 4 small idlis and its now 15 bucks !

To be honest, I dont look forward to going to the Novotels, Westins and Istas of the world - as much I look forward to Pragati - that is a true tribute from a foodie !!!

Hope to try the others at some point of time.

Most Viewed