Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2013, 10:33   #5476
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTiger View Post
Pragati dosa is awesome ! the butter, paneer dosa is just lipsmackingly good. Obviously, spent more on fuel in getting there - than the cost of the dosa - which is complete VFM at 30 bucks for butter paneer and 20 bucks for just butter
Our favorite at Pragati is Special Dosa.. It is a crisp, non-oily dosa with special chutney, upma pasted along with the regular aloo curry

It is so heavenly that my wife eats two at a time

Another important thing is you dont feel stuffed up after eating there. There is a light feeling which I cannot describe

Quote:
The idlis are super soft and the chutney is pretty decent ... used to be 10 bucks for 4 small idlis and its now 15 bucks !
Been eating ever since the Idli was priced at Rs.5 and I think each plate comes with 5 small idlis not 4. Btw, Now the Idli is priced at Rs.20 per plate

I dont think anywhere in the city, they serve a plate of idli which is softer than Pragati. They just melt down your throat and your teeth dont come into play at all. I can challenge anyone on this aspect

Lived most of my life walking distance from Pragati so thats another reason we love going back there again and again.

Quote:
To be honest, I dont look forward to going to the Novotels, Westins and Istas of the world - as much I look forward to Pragati - that is a true tribute from a foodie !!!
Spoken like a true foodie. We are big fans of Pragati and will always be.
Old 7th April 2013, 13:16   #5477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

It is so heavenly that my wife eats two at a time

Another important thing is you dont feel stuffed up after eating there.
I dont think anywhere in the city, they serve a plate of idli which is softer than Pragati. They just melt down your throat and your teeth dont come into play at all. I can challenge anyone on this aspect

Spoken like a true foodie. We are big fans of Pragati and will always be.
Agree - the dosas are light - you dont feel stuffed up like the way you would at say, Chutneys .... I think that is the true hallmark of any true good dosa/ idli ... if its fresh and made with the right ingredients, you should not feel overstuffed even after you've gobbled down a few. I actually wolf down 3-4 dosas when made at home ... and am left wondering why I cant do the same when I eat out.

The idlis are the softest I've ever eaten - comparable to some of the best at road-side places/ restaurants in Kerala or TN.

Can I make a request - this thread is 300+ pages (longer than the food thread for any other city) .... Can some of the true foodies (mobike008, traveholic .... the list goes on) pen down some of their favourite bandi (or non-fancy restaurant) places in the twin cities for both veg and non-veg. (this may be a bit of a repeat because many of you have jotted down your favourites a few times)

Mobike008 has already made a start listing the top 5 he has.

My favourite veg 'non-premium' places :
- Pragati for dosa and idli
- Maharaja chat at Jubilee Hills for pav bhaji
- Bombay vada pav at Sindhi Colony for dabeli (the vada pav is decent too - but not comparable to the 'best in class')
- Sardarji Chaat near Spencers, Gachibowli for aloo chhole tikki
- Nihal Dhaaba for parathas
- Cafe Nandini for dosa and filter coffee
Old 7th April 2013, 17:16   #5478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varma View Post
Bahar is opening another outlet in KPHB Colony [next to Anupama Hospital on JNTU road] from today evening onwards.
Been there today afternoon around 13:15hr, surprised to see a long queue (~50 people) at the take-away counter. The supervisor was discouraging customers in a polite way, mentioned it will take a minimu wait time of 30mt for the take-away. There is no dine-in facility yet. There are many cars and bikes parked on the road blocking nearly 70% of the raod People were rushing like there is no tomorrow, shows how Hydeez adore Biryani, come rain or shine.

Took-away a couple of Biryanis at Hyd Chefs, one Chicken (Rs170) and 1 mutton boneless (Rs200). No taxes, no nothing. There is no option of DMDM. The rice is good, masala is a bit spicier than a typical Hyd biryani. Not sure of the chicken, but the mutton quality, texture and the way it was cooked leaves quite a lot to be desired. Clearly, it was not cooked as part of the Biryani and it was quite rubbery. BTW, rice in each pack can cater to 2 pax each. Will not go back unless I am looking for an economical option for a large group and will never buy any mutton dishes from them again.
Old 8th April 2013, 13:08   #5479
Distinguished - BHPian

Last night visited " Indijoe's" for dinner. Getting inside the City Center Mall and find a parking was quite a struggle with too many cars being a sunday but, the best part is its free.

I tipped the nice fellow who guided me to and from a tight spot.

We were seated promptly at the restuarant and we proceed to order the following

Penne Alfredo Pasta- Rs.335
Los Angeles Lemon Drink ( 2 No's)- Each at Rs.190
Veg Sizzler ( Some Nice fancy name)- Rs.390
Mutton Shaslik Sizzler- Rs.435

Penne Alfredo was simply excellent though I found it a tad salty. Maybe because I have drastically reduced my salt intake but, nothing to complain. Enjoyed it immensely. Mom loved it and compared to some of the Pastas she has regularly in US

Veg Sizzler was also excellent though I just tasted a bit

Mutton Shazlik was mindblowingly good. The meat just crumbled under the slightest tension from the fork. Simply Delectable Sizzler
After a long time we had a great relaxed meal with the best sizzler in town.

The mocktail was also excellent. Very refreshing and not too sugary

Btw, they have a daily dinner buffet for Rs.514 A.I and lunches are Rs.384 A.I from Mon-Fri and Rs.514 on weekends.

Total Damages was Rs.2050 ( They kill you with taxes which comprised 30% of the overall bill)
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20130407wa014002.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20130407603.jpg  

Old 8th April 2013, 15:05   #5480
BHPian

Had lunch at Ameerpet Rayalaseema Ruchulu today. Ordered veg thaali and was surprised at the number of items they served. Tomato shorba, 3 curries, dal, sambar, one fry item, papad, fried rice, jowar roti, raagi mudde and then steamed rice.

All the items were good though with so many on the plate could not eat them all.

Bill for 2 came to Rs.404.00 (ST @ 4.94% and VAT @ 14.5% inclusive)

Definitely a much better place than Chutneys. Staff was very courteous and prompt.

Did not try any non-veg item as the customer whom I took for lunch was a veggie.
Old 8th April 2013, 15:16   #5481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by varma View Post
Bahar is opening another outlet in KPHB Colony [next to Anupama Hospital on JNTU road] from today evening onwards.
I heard that this outlet is not the actual “Café Bahar” but just another outlet with name "Bahar" mentioned, similar to many "Bawarchi" outlets.
Old 8th April 2013, 18:36   #5482
Senior - BHPian

NANKING reopens today at Parklane in erstwhile Kwality Restaurant premises.
Old 9th April 2013, 15:13   #5483
BHPian

Has anyone eaten at Silk Route @ Uptown Banjara? Supposed to be world cuisine.

My friend took his parents, wife and kids for lunch on Sunday on occassion of his wife's birthday and apparently had a bad experience. It seems the food at the buffet was bad and even the service was not good.

I was planning to take a customer there. Any one has a feedback please?
Old 9th April 2013, 16:01   #5484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Ravi Anna:

This place was earlier known as Thai express and it use to be bad, if not horrible.May be the new management have also decided to follow the same legacy.

BTW:How is All Seasons doing now.?

Waseem.
Old 9th April 2013, 16:02   #5485
BHPian

Quote:

My friend took his parents, wife and kids for lunch on Sunday on occassion of his wife's birthday and apparently had a bad experience. It seems the food at the buffet was bad and even the service was not good.

Your friend and many others are right is saying that it is bad.

Just writing that they serve "world cuisine" does not make them an expert on it.

I have comer back shattered every time I was there and right now I am not accepting even a free meal there.
Old 9th April 2013, 17:29   #5486
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Bad-Avoid-Period.

Why dont they concentrate on one cuisine rather than carry the whole world with them I wonder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Ravi Anna:

BTW:How is All Seasons doing now.?
Looks like a ghost place every time we go past there,we think of going in but are put off by the lack of people there.How I wish if only they had continued with Yokos sizzlers there.
Old 10th April 2013, 12:24   #5487
Distinguished - BHPian

Last weekend for the first time picked up a couple of items from "Sarvi" Banjara Hills

Mutton Shikampur at Rs.50 each was excellent. Except that it was a big too soft. Shikampurs should be tightly woven together and should be wee bit chewy. Perfect example of a Shikampur is the one you get at "Wengers" in CP, Delhi

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20130405594.jpg

Rs.150 for 1/2 Irani Tandoori Chicken (ITC). This was super delicious and I liked it a lot. Very different from the regular style Tandoori and good for healthy too ( less spicy, less masala, salt etc)

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20130405595.jpg

I'll go back for the ITC for sure !!!
Old 10th April 2013, 12:31   #5488
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Mutton Shikampur

If you want check out a very simple recipe here:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2939780

You can use minced chicken or mutton.
Available in supermarkets like Spar (Auchan).

*This is not Shikampur but someone who likes that will most probably also like this.

I know you don't cook meat at home, but maybe if you are having a party at someone else's pad.
Old 10th April 2013, 12:39   #5489
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
*This is not Shikampur but someone who likes that will most probably also like this.

I know you don't cook meat at home, but maybe if you are having a party at someone else's pad.
Thanks will pass on this receipe to someone who can make and treat me to it.

I generally avoid entering kitchen/s as I'd rather use my time constructively in eating the items that were prepared in those kitchen/s

Btw, Now iam not sure if they were Shikampur OR Shammi Kebab. Whatever it was the ingredients was nice and tasty except that it was too soft/gooey for my liking.

Last edited by mobike008 : 10th April 2013 at 12:40.
Old 10th April 2013, 12:55   #5490
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... I'd rather use my time constructively in eating the items ...
That is 'destructive' activity, not 'constructive!

Quote:
... Btw, Now iam not sure if they were Shikampur OR Shammi Kebab. ...
Shikampuri usually has either a slice of egg or a spoonful of hung curd at the center of the kabab. Shammi Kabab is the drier of the 2. Both look the same from outside if shallow fried. Shammi Kabab is sometimes deep fried.

Most Viewed