Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2013, 16:07   #5536
Team-BHP Support

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post

What is the equivalent in Hyderabad?
Equivalent for spice?

That might be the Rayalaseema Ruchulu group of restaurants. Branches in Jubilee Hills and Lakdi ka pul.

I don't think anyone could have described it better than this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Rayalseema ruchulu.-road no 36..j hills

I am sure most of the folks have been here ..what i wanted to mention here (worth trying) for all the spicy /hot food lovers in the 'guntur mirapa kodi(chicken)

this stuff is crazy (made in green chilly gravy) ,i must have emptied the whole tissue box after eating it. truely loved it with phulkas and watery eyes.
Old 7th May 2013, 16:17   #5537
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
That might be the Rayalaseema Ruchulu group of restaurants. Branches in Jubilee Hills and Lakdi ka pul.
+1. RR ( incidentally we call Rajesh Rawal also RR) is undoubtedly the hottest telangana cuisine serving restuarant in Hyderabad

There are plenty of other restuarants with decent hot quotient like :-

Southern Mirchi
Southern Spice
Another restuarant in inside lane of Rd.No.36 Jubilee Hills. Love this place. Forgot the name. Real spicy stuff here too

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
I don't think anyone could have described it better than this:
He loves HOT food and biggest lover of telanga cuisine that I know.

Iam not particularly fond of it so much but, RR beats everyone down with his craze for this cuisine and regularly takes his foreign junta to an enjoyable "nasal overflowing memory lane" trip at these joints
Old 7th May 2013, 17:02   #5538
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
+1. RR ( incidentally we call Rajesh Rawal also RR) is undoubtedly the hottest telangana cuisine serving restuarant in Hyderabad
Did you call Rayalaseema cuisine, as the name itself says, as Telangana cuisine I shall publish a primer here on distinct cuisines in Andhra Pradesh.

Quote:
There are plenty of other restuarants with decent hot quotient like :-

Southern Mirchi
Southern Spice
Another restuarant in inside lane of Rd.No.36 Jubilee Hills. Love this place. Forgot the name. Real spicy stuff here too
It is Spicy Venue
Old 7th May 2013, 17:08   #5539
BHPian

Quote:
Interesting to know that Nandini is associated with a N.Veg background which serves pukka Veg cuisine here

Last edited by Pheonix : 7th May 2013 at 17:10. Reason: mis qoute
Old 7th May 2013, 17:19   #5540
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagvasireddy View Post
Did you call Rayalaseema cuisine, as the name itself says, as Telangana cuisine I shall publish a primer here on distinct cuisines in Andhra Pradesh.
That's a grey area i havent been able to figure out till now. Whats the difference between Telangana Cuisine and Rayalseem Cuisine? Please give some examples so i can understand

For me, both sound same

Quote:
It is Spicy Venue
Bang on. Spicy Venue. I love this place. Awesome nose/eye watering spicy dishes and their Fish Biryani is also quited famed. I had it once and thoroughly enjoyed it ( Though Fish Biryani sounds so 'Fishy' )
Old 8th May 2013, 07:05   #5541
BHPian

Quote:
That's a grey area i havent been able to figure out till now. Whats the difference between Telangana Cuisine and Rayalseem Cuisine? Please give some examples so i can understand

For me, both sound same
OK, here comes the primer Andhra Pradesh is a large state with as many distinct cuisines as there are dialects. Geographically there are 3 regions in the state: "Coastal Andhra" or just "Andhra", Rayalaseema and Telangana, and each region has a distinct cuisine. Hence it is a blasphemy to call Rayalaseema cuisine as Telangana cuisine or vice versa. Other sub-regional cuisines that are quite popular throughout the state are - Konaseema cuisine, Guntur cuisine and Nellore cuisine. More to follow depending on your interest
Old 8th May 2013, 08:29   #5542
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
More to follow depending on your interest
Please go ahead. It will be good knowledge for all foodies out here. Please post all the info in one post so its easily identifyable in future
Old 8th May 2013, 13:39   #5543
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... it is a blasphemy to call Rayalaseema cuisine as Telangana cuisine or vice versa. ...
May be, but ... what IS the difference? (The difference doesn't get classified as "more information", it was the basic question asked)
Old 8th May 2013, 14:09   #5544
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
May be, but ... what IS the difference? (The difference doesn't get classified as "more information", it was the basic question asked)
Iam also waiting to know the difference between Rayalseema & Telangana cuisine.

Nag, hope your not doing wikipedia search on same.....Look forward to knowing the difference and sample dishes and where you get it information in a single post so we all can benefit from it

Btw, last evening just had a plate of Idli for dinner from this lovely bandhi near to Pragathi Idly Center (hereafter, PIC)

In a plate, 4 hot and soft idlis with thick peanut chutney. Better than the Chutneys, Darshinis etc...Rs.20 for a plate

They are located next to Sri Radhe who incidentally has became a rage in Hyderabad as he is the only one selling "ready-made" AAM RAS which is availalble for Rs.120/kg

Trust me, the taste is so good. People who had it is making a bee line to buy it the next day

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th May 2013 at 14:10.
Old 8th May 2013, 16:15   #5545
BHPian

where do we get this aam-ras
Old 8th May 2013, 16:54   #5546
BHPian

Quote:
Firstly, don't expect the difference to be huge as these are geographically contiguous regions. Having said that, the difference is on 2 counts - 1) the dishes, 2) the popularity. Coming to the dishes, raagi preparations (raagi sankati/mudde, raagi java) are staple diet of Rayalaseema region unlike in Telangana. Naatu kodi (country chicken) dishes are not as important in Telangana cuisine as they are in Rayalaseema. Coming to the preparation itself, raw chilli powder (goddu kaaram) is regularly used in Rayalaseema till recently. There are a few similarities too between the regions, for e.g. jowari roti, plenty of mutton dishes, etc.

Rayalaseema region is contiguous with Karnataka and Tamilnadu and is under a relatively benevolent rule of Madras Presidency. Hence, restaurateurs from Rayalaseema were operating in Bangalore, Chennai and Coastal Andhra for a long time. Because of this, Rayalaseema cuisine was more popular/well-known than Telangana cuisine. Even now it is rare to find restaurateurs from Telangana in other parts of the state and country. Hence, Telangana cuisine is not very well known. That's why I jokingly said that it is blasphemy to call Rayalaseema cuisine as Telanagana cuisine. It is like calling every south Indian as Madrasi

Last edited by nagvasireddy : 8th May 2013 at 16:55.
Old 8th May 2013, 17:03   #5547
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
where do we get this aam-ras
Landmark is few meters away from Papaji Ka Dhaba and Pragati Idli in Boggulkunta which is in Abids.

Quote:
Firstly, don't expect the difference to be huge as these are geographically contiguous regions. Having said that, the difference is on 2 counts - 1) the dishes, 2) the popularity. Coming to the dishes, raagi preparations (raagi sankati/mudde, raagi java) are staple diet of Rayalaseema region unlike in Telangana. Naatu kodi (country chicken) dishes are not as important in Telangana cuisine as they are in Rayalaseema. Coming to the preparation itself, raw chilli powder (goddu kaaram) is regularly used in Rayalaseema till recently. There are a few similarities too between the regions, for e.g. jowari roti, plenty of mutton dishes, etc.
I know the difference is not much thats why I have always considered only two cuisines of Andhra Pradesh.

Andhra & Non Andhra (This can be either Telangana or Rayalaseema. Interchange this word as you feel like as there is not much difference)

Besides, who eats Ragi Muddha and Natu Kodi Chicken often? I like both but, definetly dont dig them

Infact, my wife likes Ragi Muddha served at RR in Himayathnagar. I go for Gongura Mutton, She for Ragi Muddha. Both are happy and well-fed

My favorite non-andhra dish is the "Kakatiya Mutton Fry" at Hotel City Grand in Warangal. I can drive any day 140kms just to have a meal there and for their KMF. Delicious, Masala laden, spicy and juiciest chewy mutton i ever had

Last edited by mobike008 : 8th May 2013 at 17:06.
Old 8th May 2013, 17:14   #5548
BHPian

your are right Avi, the difference is much bigger when you consider Coastal Andhra cuisine, especially the godavari districts. They absolutely love their sea food (fish, crab, prawns), and you will find many permutations and combinations of vegetables with non-veg base (mainly mutton). Even the vegetarian fare is quite innovative in Konaseema cuisine. To get an idea, look up this menu of a restaurant in Bangalore that speacializes in Konaseema cuisine: http://www.zomato.com/bangalore/cori...a/menu#menutop

Last edited by nagvasireddy : 8th May 2013 at 17:18.
Old 8th May 2013, 18:07   #5549
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... raw chilli powder (goddu kaaram) is regularly used in Rayalaseema till recently ...
Till recently? Do you mean to say chilli powder is not used any more?

I know what you mean by chilli powder stuff. About 32 years back, I had encountered a Chicken Curry in Hindupur SO WICKED that I had to ask the server to discard the gravy, wash the chicken piece(s) in plain water and give it to me with a bowl of curds! And I had thought I was OK on the chilli scale before that.

Quote:
... Rayalaseema cuisine was more popular/well-known than Telangana cuisine. Even now it is rare to find restaurateurs from Telangana ...
I never knew of Telangana cuisine. But, your explanation didn't bring out the unique characteristics of the 2 cuisines clearly.

Please don't be offended, but due to the 'popularity' of the Rayalaseema cuisine perhaps, 'AP' cuisine was unjustly lampooned in Madras: every AP person have a voracious appetite for dry red chillies, till they fall ill with stomach ulcers by mid-40's, and ultimately queue up at Madras General Hospital to get treated. Again, this was what I had heard in Madras 30 years back.

Last edited by DerAlte : 8th May 2013 at 18:08.
Old 8th May 2013, 22:13   #5550
BHPian

Quote:
'AP' cuisine was unjustly lampooned in Madras: every AP person have a voracious appetite for dry red chillies, till they fall ill with stomach ulcers by mid-40's, and ultimately queue up at Madras General Hospital to get treated. Again, this was what I had heard in Madras 30 years back.
I have lived in Hyd for just over 2 years, but I still sweat like hell while eating the real Andhra/Telengana dishes at RR or even KDM.

I dont know about the ulcers, but a dentist friend of mine once claimed that the eating habits, esp the high amount of chillies, is the main reason for the large number of dental hospitals in and around Hyderabad.

Anyway just to add to this, is there any other place in India which serves such large quantity per meal as you get in Hyderabad, esp the Biryani. Its so huge that its sometimes painful to go and eat alone in a restaurant, because you know 1/4th of the dish will have to be wasted anyway.

Most Viewed