Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th May 2013, 12:37   #5566
Senior - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet_Rider View Post
Had the opportunity to try out buffet lunch at both Red Fox and Lemon Tree when we had to stay there for two days due to business contingency requirements at office. The spread at Lemon Tree is better when compared to Red Fox. The taste at both places was good but not so much that you would want to come back again. This was my experience nearly 2 years back. Not sure about the current status.
I thought they share the same kitchen and just separate out the rooms and restaurants as Red Fox claims to be budget(pricing imo is nowhere near budget though! ).
Old 12th May 2013, 12:48   #5567
BHPian

There is one Santosh Dhaba (pure veg) in the lane behind DHL opposite to Paradise (on the road which goes to fire station/ Sky Chef) and the food is quite good there. Ambiance is not that good, but the prices are quite cheap. 60-80/- for a dish..[/quote]

I totally agree on the Santosh Dhaba.... its the best punjabi I had till date!
Old 12th May 2013, 13:15   #5568
BHPian

Its been more than 2 months I am away from Hyderabad and back in my hometown Kolkata. I never thought I would say this, but damnnn I miss being in Hyderabad, solely because of the food

Can we have a compilation of the best biryanis in town in a single post? I feel it will be really entertaining to put up a poll and do our little judgement about the same. I, for one, am a huge fan of the Paradise biryani, as well as Shadaab!
Old 13th May 2013, 12:32   #5569
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquilab28 View Post
I totally agree on the Santosh Dhaba.... its the best punjabi I had till date!
Santosh Dhaba is not Punjabi. It's owned by a Marwari and has heavy influence of their spices and far from being called a typical punjabi outlet

I too like them for being VFM and serving tasty vegeterian dishes. But, what really puts me off is their affinity towards KAJU. They dump that thing in almost every dish that is served which spoils the overall taste of the dish. Some dishes, you need to wade through the heap of kaju to find veggies

Having said that, their "Kaju Naan" is heavenly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
Its been more than 2 months I am away from Hyderabad and back in my hometown Kolkata.Can we have a compilation of the best biryanis in town in a single post? I feel it will be really entertaining to put up a poll and do our little judgement about the same. I, for one, am a huge fan of the Paradise biryani, as well as Shadaab!
Iam sure your missing Hyderabadi Biryani especially after eating the ones served in Kolkatta with huge potatoes in them....Why dont you take the onus of posting the best biryanis in one single post?

Last evening, we went to "Mast Kalandar" that opened in Himyathnagar on May 2nd, 2013

Nice colorful ambience which is similar to their hitec city outlet

Self service is the biggest put off.

We ordered the following :-

Subz Sheek Kebab ( Rs.119)

It was good but, felt little high on salt.

Parantha Combo ( Rs.119)

Chilli Cheese Parantha was excellent

Gobi Parantha was pedestrian

Above was served with Dal Makhani which was just average. Raitha was excellent though

Masala Cola ( Rs.49)

Thumbs up with some masala served lukewarm and when asked for ice. Not available. Horrible

Overall ~ 20% taxes on and above rates made the bill to Rs.330

Its a very average place. Will try the Kadi Chawal, Rajma Chawal and Chole Bhature and if they are also average then goodbye from us
Old 13th May 2013, 12:49   #5570
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Santosh Dhaba is not Punjabi. It's owned by a Marwari and has heavy influence of their spices and far from being called a typical punjabi outlet
Totally agree with you and at the cost of being badgered by all the Santosh Dhaba lovers in here,none of their dishes are worthy of being called tasty by any stretch of imagination.Their paneer butter masala(bought just to be on the safer side)is BAD and I am yet to understand why is it called paneer butter masala.Its just so yuck,

Quote:
Mast Kalandar
Another one on which I tend to agree with you.Its very very pedestrian fare that is offered at their outlets and most of their older outlets suffers from hygiene factors.They have got all their pricing horribly wrong and the taste is nothing to write about.Apart from the name and colorful signboards I dont see anything else going in their favor.

OT:With all this crazy advertisement of ATOM Pepsi going on all over,we tried it yesterday(its been ages since I went anywhere near an aerated drink).Its just plain old pepsi spiked with elaichi flavor and imho it just doesnt work.Elaichi and Cola-not my preference.

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 13th May 2013 at 12:52.
Old 13th May 2013, 13:00   #5571
BHPian

Quote:
Phenonix, good to meet you today and nice that we spent over an hour chatting about various things including foodie subject

Equally shared the pleasure of meeting you in person Mobike .Couldnt get to say you bye. I am waiting to see the German Red Callipers soon on the other forum

Wanted to share the Nonveg platter of Ohris @Tansen Necklace road.

The nawabi cuisine was nice and the mutton roghan ghosh was cooked very nicely. The Biriyani was in kind of Nizami style and i liked it mediumly spiced. We had 4 pieces of Lobster which were very delicious. Overall the menu seemed bit pricey but you will like the ambience and the live music .
Old 13th May 2013, 13:08   #5572
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
I thought they share the same kitchen.
The kitchen may be the same. I was referring to the number of preparations available in the buffet. Red Fox being the "budget" one, has fewer preparations than Lemon Tree. Yes, you are right, the pricing of Red Fox is nowhere near budget!!
Old 14th May 2013, 02:09   #5573
BHPian

Quote:
Last evening, we went to "Mast Kalandar" that opened in Himyathnagar on May 2nd, 2013

Nice colorful ambience which is similar to their hitec city outlet
I had been to their Hi-Tech city outlet a few months back which is managed by bunch of kids. Don't remember the dishes we ordered but I do remember their 'Baingan ka bharta' which was pathetic. Heck, brinjals weren't even roasted before making bharta. Other dishes were okay. Kind of like a good office cafeteria. Over-priced for the quality/service they offer. The only thing I liked was Aam panna - not too sweet, not too tangy.

Last friday, picked up food from Gold Bawarchi in Tarnaka.

- Chicken tikka: Give or take 8-9 peices, they were very good. - Rs. 140
- Mutton Biryani & Chicken Biryani: It looked like rice mixed with masala and some color and flesh thrown in, spicy as hell but no taste at all. May be I should stop taking Biryani parcels. - Rs. 500 for Jumbo pack (Chicken/Mutton).
Old 15th May 2013, 12:31   #5574
BHPian

Friends,

I am sure you might have already had tasted this but please do make a quick stoppie @ Creamstone on the Jubilee Hills road near Hyundai Showroom and have a cup of Mr Alphonso . Fresh Alphonso chopped up and served with Mango Icecream scoop in wafer base . On a hot summerday/night i am sure you will love it.
Old 15th May 2013, 16:41   #5575
BHPian

Had lunch at Fishland, Lakdi ka Pul after a long long time. Thaali meals with Bommidayila Pulusu. Decent food, bommidayila pulusu was average.

Cost of 2 meals, 1 Bommidayila pulusu and a water bottle came to Rs.475/- Slightly expensive.
Old 16th May 2013, 12:16   #5576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
I am sure you might have already had tasted this but please do make a quick stoppie @ Creamstone on the Jubilee Hills road near Hyundai Showroom and have a cup of Mr Alphonso
Yeah, its good. But, not worth the small quantity for Rs.200 a cup. I would rather eat the Alphonso mango fruit directly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Had lunch at Fishland, Lakdi ka Pul
Fishland is now in a dilapidated condition and is surviving only because of the bus passengers who take overnight buses from Lakdikapul which is the HUB for Volvos etc. I would not visit them as we are now spoilt for choices

Last week, we visited "Kakatiya Delux Mess" for lunch.

Eating an Andhra Thali at this place can redfine your eating experience of what a simple home cooked style meal can do. Each and every thing on the thali is delectable and special mention to their dal, sambhar, rasam.

Not to mention the star accompaniments "Gun Powder" and "Some chutney which is heavenly"

We ordered a prawn fry along with Thali and beileve you me, it is different and much more awesome than the one available at their take-away. This dish was reddish in color whereas in take-away section its yellowish. Super Yummy

Omlettes. I dont think anyone can make omlettes as good as KDM

Overall, 2 Thali,2 Omlette, Water Bottle and Prawn Fry. Rs. 350. Most VFM Andhra Thali in town !!!

Couple of days ago, visited Bahar ( Begumpet) for the first time for dine-in. We ordered the following :-

Chiken Tikka Masala ( Rs.200)
Rotis
Sp. Mutton Biryani ( Rs. 210)
Total Damages with taxes : Rs.550

CTM was different. Yellow colored dish which i am seeing for the first time. Nonetheless, it was tasty

Rotis are a bit huge and typical cafe style. I prefer the small "kadak" tandoori rotis punjabi style

Mutton Biryani was also very good. But, nowhere close to Paradise

Will I go back again? Not like I look forward to visiting some restuarants again and again. Bahar is good for a change
Old 16th May 2013, 13:15   #5577
BHPian

Quote:
Last week, we visited "Kakatiya Delux Mess" for lunch.

Eating an Andhra Thali at this place can redfine your eating experience of what a simple home cooked style meal can do. Each and every thing on the thali is delectable and special mention to their dal, sambhar, rasam.

Not to mention the star accompaniments "Gun Powder" and "Some chutney which is heavenly"

We ordered a prawn fry along with Thali and beileve you me, it is different and much more awesome than the one available at their take-away. This dish was reddish in color whereas in take-away section its yellowish. Super Yummy

Omlettes. I dont think anyone can make omlettes as good as KDM

Overall, 2 Thali,2 Omlette, Water Bottle and Prawn Fry. Rs. 350. Most VFM Andhra Thali in town !!!
Very true. In last couple of weeks I must have eaten (take away) KDM meals with combos of Mutton fry / curry / prawns fry atleast 10 times. Now a days they are serving something called Egg Fry which is basically boiled egg whites fried with some masalas and onions. I really liked it and late in night when I eat during IPL matches, I prefer the egg fry over other non-veg dishes.

Even yesterday when I and my friend were having lunch at Fishland we were discussing how good the food at KDM is. I feel bad even ordering a non-veg side dish because then you miss out on the delicious veg curries / chutneys / daal / sambhar etc.

Earlier today a cousin of mine called to tell me that he is coming to Hyderabad to watch the IPL match on Sunday and said, "Anna, all meals at / or from KDM only".
Old 16th May 2013, 15:48   #5578
BHPian

Quote:
Santosh Dhaba is not Punjabi. It's owned by a Marwari and has heavy influence of their spices and far from being called a typical punjabi outlet.
Can I have a list of the best 5 Punjabi dhabas/restaurants of Hyderabad along with the names of their best dishes.

It is okay even if the list contains only veggie places though non veg places are also welcome to be listed.
Quote:
Had lunch at Fishland, Lakdi ka Pul after a long long time.
So that is where you were headed that day at 12:30pm.
Was it not pretty early for lunch?
I was just ahead of you right from Srinagar Colony turning and then you (your driver) overtook me (my driver) from the left just after Hyderabad Central.
Why not eat at Fishland, Ameerpet? The place is pretty nice, neat and clean.

OT : Fishland at Ameerpet has this policy on discounts :
Dine In : Menu Prices + Taxes
Home Delivery : Menu Prices + Packing Charges but no Taxes
Take Away : Menu Prices - 10% Discount + Packing Charges and no Taxes
Quote:
We ordered a prawn fry along with Thali and beileve you me, it is different and much more awesome than the one available at their take-away. This dish was reddish in color whereas in take-away section its yellowish.

Couple of days ago, visited Bahar ( Begumpet) for the first time for dine-in.

Mutton Biryani was also very good. But, nowhere close to Paradise

Will I go back again? Not like I look forward to visiting some restuarants again and again. Bahar is good for a change
The Prawn Fry that I picked up from the KDM Takeaway last week was reddish.

Had Paradise Biryani two weeks back. The mutton biryani was good, ok, awesome and agreed that it was as good as Bahar but Chicken Biryani was a disaster. Just some zero-masala rice with chicken pieces thrown in it, zilch masala, super bland. Bahar rules when it comes to Chicken Biryani.
Quote:
Now a days they are serving something called Egg Fry which is basically boiled egg whites fried with some masalas and onions. I really liked it and late in night when I eat during IPL matches, I prefer the egg fry over other non-veg dishes.
Egg Fry has been on the menu ever since I started frequenting KDM.

Egg Fry is the dish we order for all the veggies when we have a party (N/V get Kakatiya Mutton Fry).
Old 16th May 2013, 16:08   #5579
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post

So that is where you were headed that day at 12:30pm.
Was it not pretty early for lunch?
I was just ahead of you right from Srinagar Colony turning and then you (your driver) overtook me (my driver) from the left just after Hyderabad Central.
No, not at 12.30. I must have gone somewhere else. I went for lunch at 2.30.
Quote:
Why not eat at Fishland, Ameerpet? The place is pretty nice, neat and clean.
We were actually planning to go to Rajdoot or Indu but in the last moment we decided to go to Fishland.

Quote:
Egg Fry has been on the menu ever since I started frequenting KDM.
I did not know that. Thought it was a recent addition.
Old 16th May 2013, 23:41   #5580

Took a Kakatiya Mutton fry and a prawn fry for lunch a couple of days back from KDM takeaway section. Both were red, no sign of any yellow ! And both were fantabulous. Special mention HAS to be made for the mutton though, which was fantabulously fantastic. Rich, spicy, tender pieces of boneless mutton that are so flavourful, its a sin !!! Please note, in spite of the rich and spicy masala/gravy, the mutton held its own in terms of its natural flavour. The masala enhanced its natural meaty flavour, it didn't drown it out like at some places that take their 'Andhra' or spicy tag too seriously.

Note From Support:
References to Alcohol have been removed.
Please refer forum rules before proceeding.
Thanks,
Support Team

Last edited by bblost : 17th May 2013 at 12:07.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks