Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st May 2013, 17:27   #5701
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Someone asked for the prices at KDM. Took a snap of the menu for dine in (lot of crowd, could not take a proper one but this covers most of the items):
what is "Pandugappa"...?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
Try making an omlette with shallots in place of onion and you'll know the difference , if you've not had it till now, that is.
+1 to it!

The sambar made of these is heavenly and so is the dry fry or poriyal. Its usually called "sambar onion" in Hyderabad.

I am happy to know Vasantha Bhavan serves this! I have to go there now!
Old 31st May 2013, 17:47   #5702
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
The sambar made of these is heavenly and so is the dry fry or poriyal. Its usually called "sambar onion" in Hyderabad.
We too make sambhar at home with those "Baby Onions" thats what i call them

Totally agree, it tastes heavenly with them floating around in the sambhar.
Old 31st May 2013, 17:48   #5703
BHPian

Quote:
what is "Pandugappa"...?
Accordng to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barramundi, it is Bhetki / Barramundi
Old 31st May 2013, 21:14   #5704
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I also dont like Appams or Stew. I prefer the tamilian stew (Avial) instead.

From when did Avial become a Tamil Stew? There are even proverbs in Malayalam with Avial.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avial
Old 31st May 2013, 21:52   #5705
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The staple food of Kerala and it is a LOT more healthier than the polished white rice most restaurants serve.
Correct, really healthy, but many people do not like the taste (which is personal). I like it VERY much, in fact, I get the same here in Germany too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknair View Post
From when did Avial become a Tamil Stew? There are even proverbs in Malayalam with Avial.

Happens Nair Saab, once dishes start crossing state borders, similar to Nayanthara, Asin, etc. etc..

Spike
Old 31st May 2013, 22:08   #5706
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Available in Auchan/ Spar for around Rs 400 a kilo.
Lovely soft flesh that takes just a few minutes to cook.

Quote:

And also the name of an awesome Malayalam band http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avial_(band)

Last edited by bblost : 31st May 2013 at 22:09.
Old 31st May 2013, 22:40   #5707
BHPian

Quote:
You learn something new every day!
Now I know what to ask for when I have a familiar fish craving in Andhra.
Old 31st May 2013, 23:04   #5708
BHPian

Quote:

I'm not sure if Avial is a Kerala dish or Tamilnadu dish, but I know from a few Tamil friends of mine that Avial is a widely prepared curry in Tamilnadu. Of course it's not a stew, and far from being one. I guess Avi was thinking of some other curry when he typed Avial. Apparently Adai Avial is a famous Tamilnadu preparation. The adai is more or like a slightly thicker version of dosa, and you have it with avial. It tastes good. I've tried it once, recently.
Old 31st May 2013, 23:40   #5709
BHPian

Quote:

I'm not sure if Avial is a Kerala dish or Tamilnadu dish, but I know from a few Tamil friends of mine that Avial is a widely prepared curry in Tamilnadu. Of course it's not a stew, and far from being one. I guess Avi was thinking of some other curry when he typed Avial. Apparently Adai Avial is a famous Tamilnadu preparation. The adai is more or like a slightly thicker version of dosa, and you have it with avial. It tastes good. I've tried it once, recently.
as far as I know Avial is a kerala dish that enjoys great popularity in TN too. The recipe is the same in both states I think.
Old 1st June 2013, 13:46   #5710
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
From when did Avial become a Tamil Stew? There are even proverbs in Malayalam with Avial. ]
Quote:
I'm not sure if Avial is a Kerala dish or Tamilnadu dish
Quote:
as far as I know Avial is a kerala dish that enjoys great popularity in TN too. The recipe is the same in both states I think.
I was brought up in a Tamilian colony where my mom picked up making this dish and many other tamilian dishes like addai ( which i totally adore) and always thought its a tamilian dish.

Thanks for correcting me that its a Keralite dish. Finally, I like one dish from Kerala

@Jayded, my favorite combination with Addai is Shengha Chi Pudi ( Maharastrian peanut based powder chutney which my mom makes it gulbarga style which is little pastey and that is mixed in curd and given tadka.....Heavenly...closest is the peanut butter that you get abroad)

Addai and SCP is a combination that I can kill for.....
Old 1st June 2013, 14:28   #5711
BHPian

Quote:
Shengha Chi Pudi ( Maharastrian peanut based powder chutney which my mom makes it gulbarga style which is little pastey and that is mixed in curd
that peanut powder with curd is also eaten in north karnataka with dry n crisp jowar roti...superb combo!!!

Good news for the lovers of Bihari cuisine in Hyderabad. An outlet called Litti's has opened at the SamePlace food court near IOCL petrol pump on Madhapur main road.

The reportedly have Bihari delicacies like Litti-Chokha, sattu paratha etc on the menu.

People from Bihar or those familiar with that cuisine may please review this joint.

This cuisine is new for most of us so I think it would not be fair to review it without being familiar with it.

Last edited by mobike008 : 3rd June 2013 at 14:09. Reason: Merging Posts
Old 3rd June 2013, 12:59   #5712
BHPian

Quote:
Good news for the lovers of Bihari cuisine in Hyderabad. An outlet called Litti's has opened at the SamePlace food court near IOCL petrol pump on Madhapur main road.

The reportedly have Bihari delicacies like Litti-Chokha, sattu paratha etc on the menu.
Interesting. I would like to try out the cuisine. What are the typical Bihari delicacies? Non-veg only please.
Old 3rd June 2013, 13:33   #5713
BHPian

Quote:
My favorite Midnight Biryani Joints in sequential order below :-

1. Green Park
2. Pickles (There was a time spent almost every weekend there)
Thanks Avi,GadgetFreak,NoRules

We had 2 backtoback events on Friday nite and Sunday. Friday night we spent at Greenpark having midnite buffet.
On menu was
Payashorba - good,
Haleem - Good,
Butter Chicken Curry- Too yummy,
Chicken and Mutton Biriyani - Good. ( i liked the chicken more ) .
There were no exclusive starters for Veg/non veg . Even the veg spread was very good with quite good vegg curries and pulaos.
On desserts there was a disaster with Rasgollas as they tasted more like hard styrofoam balls but hot jalebi made up for it.

On the whole it was a nice meal but i would have loved to have some more starters.

For 2 people total exp- 900 ( incl all taxes) . You people can perhaps judge this based on cost with other places like Ohris ?

Ok. On Sunday we went to BBQ Nation , a very long time after it was defamed with Food poisoning.

On Grill was Fish - very good,
Chicken- good,
Prawns: Very juicy and succulent as always. The thing i always loved about BBQN.
Off the grill:
Mutton Sheek - Nice,
Tangdi Kabab - A big very hot spicy Tangdi Piece - loved it.
On the veg the mushrooms and paneer tikka tasted good.
Maincourse highlights - (Havent tasted the veg side though ) ,
Biriyanies were good,
Fish curry- Tasty and
Crab Curry - Lovely and flavorful.
Good spread of desserts as well - Pastries,mousse,Choc browniees,Gulabjamoons,puddings,icreams and freshfruits.
Total Bang! : 1700 for 2 ( Incl of all taxes)
May sound pricey but absolute bang for people with voracious appetite for starters and desserts.
Fact that you are served with entire plater of non veg like Chicken,Mutton,Fish,Prawns and Crab.
I find it a very good place to have your looooong and relaxed dinner for couple of hrs with some live music and loads of good food spread around you served hot and loads of gossip , much more fun if you are going in big groups .

Last edited by Pheonix : 3rd June 2013 at 13:35. Reason: details
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:08   #5714
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
that peanut powder with curd is also eaten in north karnataka with dry n crisp jowar roti...superb combo!!!
We make that style too since mom is from Gulbarga which is Northern Karnataka, we make the spicy peanut powder too that goes with bakri (Jowar or Bajra)

I visit my grandmom in Helikhed ( Bidar district) quite often and we are served with this powder with dry bakris ( made a day before and eaten when its crisp)

Quote:
Interesting. I would like to try out the cuisine. What are the typical Bihari delicacies? Non-veg only please.
+1. Even Iam interested in NV items. I have seen the Littha Choka and Sattu Parantha on HOMP and they didnt visually appeal me

Bihar is not really a place known for its cuisine ( atleast thats my understanding)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
On desserts there was a disaster with Rasgollas as they tasted more like hard styrofoam balls but hot jalebi made up for it.
GP is known for its disaterous dessert. I have mentioned it every time i reviewed it. However, I will go back there again and again only for 3 items

Paya Shorba
Haleem
Biryani

BBQ Nation is a very good place to eat. It never disappointed me too. But, it is a dangerous place to go because you will eat a week's meal in one sitting
Old 3rd June 2013, 14:49   #5715
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
+1. Even Iam interested in NV items. I have seen the Littha Choka and Sattu Parantha on HOMP and they didnt visually appeal me
As per the menu posted in Zomato, there are a few chicken items like "chicken stew" and in a non-veg thali there is a "chicken prepared in traditional way" or something like that.
Quote:
Bihar is not really a place known for its cuisine ( atleast thats my understanding)
I think there is no place in India without an interesting cuisine. Its just a matter of good marketing.

For example outside India "Indian food" means only Punjabi or Mughlai food.
Even in north India "South Indian food" means nothing apart from "idly-dosa-sambar-curd rice". Boring!

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 3rd June 2013 at 14:51.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks