Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2013, 19:21   #5791
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Some folks, I note are only information consumers ( Ask for info, then disappear. Re-appear, ask for info, again disappear. Rinse and Repeat)
information from real foodies & connoisseurs like you and others has always been a reference point,none of the eateries or dishes mentioned in this thread atleast for me has not gone wrong .Infact being new to this city have been able to find real good places to dine like reshmi's , papaji ka daba,blue fox ,KDM,OTF ,maya bazar,shadab.

Always have got the the menu correct during our numerous office outing and credit definitely goes to awesome foodies contributing to this thread
i am going to havemore tomorrow ,already dreaming about monica lewinsky
Old 14th June 2013, 19:47   #5792
BHPian

I had taken away lunch from "Punjabi Affair" in Madhapur.

Fantastic home style food at great prices! Absolutely light on spices and no oil floating on top or sticking to cutlery.

What I tried today: Phulke, Palak paneer, Dal tadka, jeera aalu n jeera rice. Have to try non veg next time.

This is one place where one can eat regularly without getting bored.

Location: opp the new Krishe Sapphire building in madhapur. A hundred yards or so away from Cafe Nandini

2 issues with this place:

1- a steep iron staircase to reach the restaurant on the first floor (not really a problem for most)

2- car parking

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 14th June 2013 at 19:54.
Old 15th June 2013, 11:28   #5793
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
foodies contributing to this thread
i am going to havemore tomorrow ,already dreaming about monica lewinsky
Thanks for the appreciation but, thats not enough

You consume information but, do not come back here and report how you felt or what you enjoyed as not everyone's taste and palate would be same.

Expect more participation from you and other lurkers on this thread

Last night, decided to visit a small veg restuarant called "Navaidyam" at Ameerpet a little ahead of Green Park towards Ameerpet on left side in a complex

Small neat place. Looks a little old establishment. Marwari style of food

We ordered :-

Veg Nizami Handi ( Rs.140)
Kolhapuri Dal ( Rs.80)
Masala Papad
Phulkas (Rs.6 each)
Paneer Parantha (Rs.45)

Total Damage : Rs.300

Veg Nizami Handi was just average and little sweetish taste

KD was excellent. Spicy and full tadka

Phulkas were glorious

Paneer Parantha was also good

I think we ordered the wrong curry. Dont mind trying it one more time before discarding this place. Run by a young stylish couple.

Its a nice place for veggies but, compared to many other veg restuarants this place seemed a bit steep on curries pricing ( Rs.140-Rs.180 range) considering the ambience and location of this restuarant.
Old 15th June 2013, 13:11   #5794
BHPian

Quick updates. Maharaja chaat is now open at Vasantha Bhavan, Rd no.14.

Nanking CR is now moved to Lumbini Jewel Mall, Rd. No.2
Old 15th June 2013, 20:07   #5795
BHPian

Went to Cream Center for lunch with my wife. Convenient location, ample parking, surprisingly only two tables were occupied when we reached there at around 1.pm.

Ordered, 1 Onion Rings, 1 Chole Bhature, 1 Italian Sizzler and 2 Iced Teas. The total bill came up to Rs 1200/- incl of all the service charges and taxed. Taste was good, but pretty steep price for Veg food, I guess.

Infact, they have an awesome offer running on Groupon http://www.groupon.co.in/deals/hyder...-Centre/365463, and incidentally we were the only people in that restaurant who were not carrying the voucher.

Meanwhile, a young couple with a child came in about 5 minutes after us ; they too carried a groupon vocher, discussed with the waiters on what they could order under the offer. They waited around for a good 15 minutes, nothing was served, and then they had some stern words with the manager and finally walked off without eating anything. I really did not understand what happened.
Old 16th June 2013, 18:57   #5796
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Its La Cantina.

Other option is chillis at inorbit mall.(you'll have to find in the menu whats authentic mexican though)
La Cantina has many items which are close to real Mexican. My favorite is the Veg Chimichanga.

I have been looking for quite some time but to no avail - anywhere I can get authentic Bengali Shingara in the twin cities?

All the places which claim to have it actually make the standard Samosas. My Bong friends in this group will attest to the fact that Samosa and Shingara are poles apart!!

I have tried most Bengali shops, including the latest one - Apnar Kolkata in Miyapur

- Krishnan

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th June 2013 at 14:39. Reason: back to back posts
Old 16th June 2013, 22:27   #5797
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Last night, decided to visit a small veg restuarant called "Navaidyam" at Ameerpet a little ahead of Green Park towards Ameerpet on left side in a complex

Small neat place. Looks a little old establishment. Marwari style of food
There is one opposite the entrance road to Padmarao Nagar in Secunderabad. Decent place for veggies.
Old 17th June 2013, 11:30   #5798
BHPian

Ulavacharu - a new restaurant serving coastal Andhra cuisine opened at Jubilee Hills, lane after Balakrishna's house / adj to petrol pump.

Went for lunch yesterday with my family and another friend's family. 4 adults and 4 kids. My friend is a close friend of the owner of this place, Kuchipudi Venkat (he is also a telugu director / producer). Couple of my friends told me it was doing great already and the food is fantastic.

The menu is big with not only coastal food but also Indian / Chinese and Continental.

We ordered:

Tandoori Murrel - Decent
Prawns iguru - Standard fare
Chicken iguru - decent
Chef Yadagiri special stuffed Crab - I was expecting the crab meat stuffed in the shell but they served it like patties. Nothing great.
Ulavacharu mutton pulao - Was good though the quantity of masala was much more than the rice.
Raju gari chicken pulao - Supposedly a chef speciality and was very good. Supposed to be eaten with gongura which was delicious.
Bommidayala pulusu - Major disappointment. Spoilt the taste of whatever good food we ate till then.

Overall it was a mixed experience. Some items were good, some decent and last item was a disaster.

Total bill came to Rs.2850.00. Expensive.

I might go back only to eat the Raju gari pulao.
Old 17th June 2013, 16:57   #5799
BHPian

Last saturday was my day, yes I finally paid a visit to KDM. Had to park my car in RS Brothers parking and had a good walk for 5-10 minutes and located KDM. First went to the dining section and asked for a parcel. The waiter directed us to go to the parcel counter just opposite. WOW!!. The parcel counter area is good when compared to the dining area.
One thing which caught our eyes are the way they have arranged the food varieties.
This is what we ordered.
1. 2 Chicken legs - 30 Rs each.
2. Mutton fry boneless
3. Prawn fry
Total damage - 370 Rs

We picked this around 7.30PM, and by that time the food wasnt hot.
We reached home by 10PM and since the climate was cold didnt refrigerate it.

Impressions:
When we were about to eat, warmed it up and the time was 11.30PM
Wife came running and said that the prawn fry has a stale smell. I checked and it was. Damn!!!
Mutton fry as per wifey is too much salty, but I felt it was ok
Chicken leg roast was too good.

Only worry is both the dish was very dry, with no gravy at all. Asked wifey whether we can plan for it again, she said a big NO.

Our saturday is ruined.
Old 17th June 2013, 21:16   #5800
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Asked wifey whether we can plan for it again, she said a big NO.
Our saturday is ruined.
I can truly understand that feeling.

Btw, in case you live in or around Madhapur, please do check out Abhiruchi mess, located near the Nectar Gardens (the road that leads from Inorbit to Jubilee Hills). The Mutton currys, esp the Gongura Mutton is very good and some people like it better than KDM.
Old 18th June 2013, 08:30   #5801
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Our saturday is ruined.
Sorry to know that. Been frequenting this place regularly now for about 2 years and it never disappointed me. Give it another shot. If you still dont like it then most probably your taste buds is different than the majority of us here

Last week been to "Serengeti" for dinner after a long time. We had a great time as it was raining heavily and we sat by the window and enjoyed our meal at liesure

We ordered the following

Mutton Fry ( Some fancy name and new on the menu, it seems)
Paneer Tikka
Hara Bhara Sheek Kebab
1 Veg Biryani
Mocktails

MF was simply outstanding, melt in the mouth meat with perfect charcoalness to it

Paneer being paneer. It doesnt matter if its good or bad as I dont like it anyways. But, taste was excellent

Hara Bhara Kebab was actually ok. It was round patties and had a bit of too much of greenness to it. It was pasty and goey. Not bad at all

Total Damages : Rs.2200 for 3 people. And, I found this place cheaper than Tansen. Never realized it. Great ambience, lovely food and not too expensive. Will try to revisit this place a bit more regularly
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20130616wa009.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img20130616wa010.jpg  

Old 18th June 2013, 11:20   #5802
BHPian

Me and wifey went to CreamStone yesterday to try out their famous Mr. Aplhonso ice cream. It was 10:30pm and the place was packed with all kinds of people. Huge cars were parked all along that stretch and this caused a huge pile up especially whenever the JH checkpost signal turned green.

Coming to the actual ice cream, it was priced at 180 bucks and went upto 206 with taxes added. It was a mixture of Mango and Vanilla ice creams topped with lots of shredded alphonso mangoes. Initial three four spoonfuls were really good, but soon the mango topping got consumed, and only ice cream was left and it was nothing more than an ice-cream cocktail. Also they cleverly shape the wafer in such a way that ice cream fills up only half of the cup that they give.

Its been my n'th visit to this place and personally I feel this place is overhyped. During nights, it becomes a nuisance as people park their cars haphazardly all over causing traffic jams on this stretch. Also the poor saradarji watching over the parking had a hard time co-ordinating the parking of cars.

Last edited by racer_ash : 18th June 2013 at 11:21.
Old 18th June 2013, 11:56   #5803
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Its been my n'th visit to this place and personally I feel this place is overhyped. During nights, it becomes a nuisance as people park their cars haphazardly all over causing traffic jams on this stretch. Also the poor saradarji watching over the parking had a hard time co-ordinating the parking of cars.
Have you tried Cream n Fudge? Is it the same/better?
And yeah, 206 for a bowl of icecream is just atrocious. That is what an established brand name do to exploit it. And because of the crowd almost always people sit outside/in their car and have it. So it's mostly like a take away counter, nothing more.
Old 18th June 2013, 14:31   #5804
BHPian

Took a parcel of "Mutton Chilly Fry(Curry)" from Paradise yesterday and it was kind of ok ok for me. It was a bit bland for my taste buds and the mutton pieces were not too soft. Will i try again? NO!

Been to KDM last week and took away Kakatiya Mutton Fry and Special chicken biryani. Had dinner with couple of friends at one of the friend's place and asusual Mutton Fry was rocking! The guy at whose flat we had the dinner was tasting it for the first time and he was flattered by the sheer taste of it. He owed to frequent KDM after his wifey and kid would be back in the city.

Have been to a friend's wedding at "Proddatur" (Kadapa district) last week and tried their very famous below 2 delicacies:

Karam dosa & Egg dosa (Subba Rayudu hotel) - Very yummy. Was sweating while eating but still enjoyed the amazing taste of the spices mixed with dosa.
Pot Biryani (Mutton) - Again a very tasty dish famous at Proddatur. I found this much tastier during my last visit approx 6 years ago, but still I enjoyed the biryani.

Guys from Proddatur can pitch in!
Old 18th June 2013, 15:16   #5805
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankShaft05 View Post

Have been to a friend's wedding at "Proddatur" (Kadapa district) last week and tried their very famous below 2 delicacies:

Karam dosa & Egg dosa (Subba Rayudu hotel) - Very yummy. Was sweating while eating but still enjoyed the amazing taste of the spices mixed with dosa.Pot Biryani (Mutton) - Again a very tasty dish famous at Proddatur. I found this much tastier during my last visit approx 6 years ago, but still I enjoyed the biryani.Guys from Proddatur can pitch in!
Good variety of Karam and Egg dosa is available at Kadapa/Ananthapur as well.The biryani which you are talking about is known as Shukoor Biryani.
There is a very famous restaurant named Shukoor in Kadapa from where this variant of Biryani Originated.Places in and around Kadapa sell this variant of Biryani called Shukoor Biryani.

Mutton and rice is cooked separately and mixed before serving.Shukoor is the only place where this variant is cooked to perfection.

Waseem.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 18th June 2013 at 15:17.

Most Viewed