Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th August 2013, 12:58   #5911
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

6. Sher-E-Punjab at DK Road, Ameerpet ( Decent food, economical pricing, nice open air ambience)
Where is this place located exactly? I had visitors from Udaipur last week, staying at Green Park. They were all vegetarians and i was looking for a good north indian joint in the area. Bajaj saab suggested Naivedyam which they liked. For their next visit will take them to this place.

Quote:
Come on guys, where you been eating all these days???
Owing to Sravan month I have been eating veggie food at home since 7th Aug. Will suffer till 6th of next month.
Old 24th August 2013, 21:22   #5912
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Where is this place located exactly? I had visitors from Udaipur last week, staying at Green Park. They were all vegetarians and i was looking for a good north indian joint in the area. Bajaj saab suggested Naivedyam which they liked. For their next visit will take them to this place.
Take the right towards DK road when coming from Green Park, Keep going ahead and take the first right ( left lane is foodworld) and this place is about 50 meters on your left side
Old 24th August 2013, 22:35   #5913
BHPian

Quote:

Take the right towards DK road when coming from Green Park, Keep going ahead and take the first right ( left lane is foodworld) and this place is about 50 meters on your left side
Turn right on Dharam Karam Road from Greenland - Ameerpet Road at Athithi Inn.

Turn right at next junction after mch ground. You will cross mch swimming pool on your right.

It is the green boundary wall on your left which protrudes into the road reducing the carriageway.
Old 24th August 2013, 23:05   #5914
BHPian

Coastal spices- Gachibowli, Indira nagar. It was reviewed in The Hindu newspaper supplement on Friday.

Ordered takeaway of the following-
Chicken ghee roast
Veg chettinad
Neer dosa -2
Lachcha paratha - 4

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think ghee roast and neer dosa are mangolerean dishes.
I have never had Manglorean cuisine so don't know about the authenticity of Ghee roast and neer dosa but over all I loved the preparation. Chicken Ghee roast was deep red in color and mildly spicy(mild by hyd standards). With slit green chillis and curry leaves it looked and tasted very appealing. The breast pieces were a bit chewy in it. It only indicated that mutton ghee roast would be even better. Though red in colour the colour didn't stain the hands, so I think they didn't use artificial colours which is good and deserves respect for it though I don't know how much of ghee was used as the ghee flavour was faint.
Veg chettinad was for wifey who is a veggie. It was as per the expectation and average - rich dark with heavy pepper flavour. Total damages INR 470. This place will be enjoyed by foodies and there is a lot to explore including fishes, crabs, mutton, prawns, seafood, quails etc and is different. Though the menu contain the usual north indian and tandoori stuff also but I don't think that would be their forte.

Will I go their again? Absolutely!!.
Money well spent.

Last edited by huntrz : 24th August 2013 at 23:10.
Old 25th August 2013, 09:17   #5915
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
Money well spent.
Where are the prices of dishes? How do we know its money well spent?

Exactly location of this place place. I love the Ghee Roasts, especially the prawn ghee roast which i love at Coastal Spice (Same Franchise? If you share the logo can confirm) in Bangalore

Also enjoyed it a few times in Goa ( Mam's Kitchen near Miramar and another restuarant very closeby in Panjim)

Last evening, got take away at home for some friends who dropped by from Bagara which is erstwhile Naigara at Hyderguda :-

Murgh Malai Tikka ( Rs.160)
Chicken Lollipop (Rs.150)
Chicken Chatpat (Rs.170)
Roomali Roti

All the dishes were excellent. The Tikka was melt in mouth and the lollipop was lovely too, peppery flaour and meaty

I had terrible experience with Niagara earlier and was reluctant to go but, its now changed to a telugu management and apparently things have improved a bit.
Old 25th August 2013, 10:27   #5916
Team-BHP Support

I had an excellent evening at Pepperocino.

The food, prices and ambience have been described in earlier threads. I would just like to appreciate the excellent service. We went there on 20-Aug. The staff was very courteous and helpful. My daughter had a fantastic time eating her pasta.
Loved the thin crust pizza.
Old 25th August 2013, 10:40   #5917
Team-BHP Support

Man you guys are lucky. The food is reaalllyyyy VFM...

Delhi is getting horribly expensive with chicken tikka, malai tikka touching 300 bucks and the taste is nothing to write home about.

Gotta visit hyderabad soon
Old 25th August 2013, 11:39   #5918
BHPian

Quote:
Where are the prices of dishes? How do we know its money well spent?

Exactly location of this place place. I love the Ghee Roasts, especially the prawn ghee roast which i love at Coastal Spice (Same Franchise? If you share the logo can confirm) in Bangalore

Also enjoyed it a few times in Goa ( Mam's Kitchen near Miramar and another restuarant very closeby in Panjim)
Don't know if it is a part of any chain.

Ghee roast chicken- 170
Veg chettinad - 120
Lachcha paratha- Rs 30 each
Neer dosa Rs 5 each

http://burrp.in.com/hyderabad/food-d...636712683.html
http://www.zomato.com/hyderabad/coas...ces-gachibowli
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle5050128.ece

While coming from Hitec City towards gachibowli it falls on your right as soon as you get down of the Gachibowli Flyover. Its on the first floor of the building.

Last edited by huntrz : 25th August 2013 at 11:40.
Old 25th August 2013, 19:12   #5919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Chicken Ghee roast was deep red in color and mildly spicy(mild by hyd standards). With slit green chillis and curry leaves it looked and tasted very appealing. The breast pieces were a bit chewy in it. It only indicated that mutton ghee roast would be even better. Though red in colour the colour didn't stain the hands, so I think they didn't use artificial colours which is good and deserves respect ...
Good to know it has reached Hyd. Doesn't sound too authentic though, since the original stuff doesn't use green chillies and curry leaves. Their strong flavors will totally mask the delicate flavor of the main masala and ghee. The red color is from soaked red Byadgi chillies, which aren't fiery. 'Chewy' breast pieces are an indication of overcooking - another no-no. The chicken in CGR should spend more time in marination, and less on heat. In most places serving decent CGR / PGR, the lead time is 60-90mins - basically you have to order ahead.

No, Mutton Ghee Roast is not a logical extension, nor Fish Ghee Roast - only Prawn Ghee Roast is. Works well only with the delicate blandness of chicken and prawns.
Old 25th August 2013, 21:36   #5920
BHPian

Hong Kong (Kondapur)

Visited Hong Kong, Kondapur/Gachibowli today along with my kid. Had the following:
Spicy chicken wings - 180
Manchurian fried rice (veg) - 110
Schezuan noodles - 110
Mix veg curry (with garlic sauce) - 130

Without doubt, the best of the lot are the wings, crispy without any hint of oil, cooked right and the taste is really ymmy. They will blow away any of the *FC outlets, period. There were 4 leg pieces and 4 wings in the plate. All the other dishes were true to taste, without any attempt to indianise them.

Beware, the portions are huge, we could eat only half of what we ordered (apart from chicken though). Had a chat with the owner/manager and suggested that they introduce half size portions.

A second visit (prestty soon) is WIP.
Old 26th August 2013, 14:11   #5921
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Ghee roast chicken- 170
Veg chettinad - 120
Lachcha paratha- Rs 30 each
Neer dosa Rs 5 each

http://burrp.in.com/hyderabad/food-d...636712683.html
http://www.zomato.com/hyderabad/coas...ces-gachibowli
http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper...cle5050128.ece

While coming from Hitec City towards gachibowli it falls on your right as soon as you get down of the Gachibowli Flyover. Its on the first floor of the building.
I had been here couple of times, hotel is owned by Manglorean, though i never seen him there. All the hotel staff looks chinese or Northy guys. Food is good is weekends, but weekdays quality is not same especially for sea food items.

Yes, masala did taste mangalore type.

@DerAlte
Yes i haven't seen mutton ghee roast, But Crab and fish Ghee roast is popular in Mangalore. Anumap coast to coast in Bangalore is famous for Crab Ghee roast.

Last edited by shamanth : 26th August 2013 at 14:16.
Old 28th August 2013, 15:21   #5922
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
Good to know it has reached Hyd. Doesn't sound too authentic though, since the original stuff doesn't use green chillies and curry leaves.
Dont know about the authenticity of that dish but, there is one dish in a restuarant called SHOLAY which is Bathinde Da Kukkad ( Chicken Gravy Dish) which is made with green chillies and curry leaves.

It's so different from the regular dishes in Hyd which is made with red chilly powder.

I totally love the flavour, taste and aftermath feeling after gobbling down this dish. My most favorite gravy dish with Kadak (Firm) Rotis.....

Quote:
Thanks. Even if its not completely authentic the dishes certainly sound Manglorean and deserves a visit for sure

Traveloholic, your review of Coastal Spices is pending here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy View Post
Man you guys are lucky. The food is reaalllyyyy VFM...
Yeah, compared to other cities. Hyderabad is heaven in terms of food pricing and taste which is way ahead of other cities except Delhi which is equally good when comparing north indian food.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skumare View Post
Visited Hong Kong, Kondapur/Gachibowli today
Yet Another place which is requires a visit and being so close to Coastal spice, maybe snack at one place and meal at another

Eddy, you said Hyd is VFM, here is one review...Read on

Last sunday, prior to going for a movie we decided to head to Blue Fox for dinner at Himayathnagar

We ordered :-

Tandoori Chicken ( Rs. 300 for 1/2) : Excellent

Mutton Kali Mirch ( Pepper Mutton) (Rs.360) : Horrible. I mean it was succellent but, no way it can be called as a MKM as it was just meat doused in pepper. I had MKM for lunch the same day at my cousin home and it was OUTSTANDING and best i ever had in my life

Mutton Biryani (Rs.325) : Again below par

Fruit Punch ( Rs. 120) : Below Par. The best fruit punch i ever had in my life was at Fat Fish in Goa couple of weeks ago.

Taxes extra on all above pricing.

Iam sad that for first time my favorite Blue Fox didnt live up to the expectation. But, later on Chennai Express made up for it

Last edited by mobike008 : 28th August 2013 at 15:29.
Old 28th August 2013, 15:25   #5923
BHPian

Quote:
Traveloholic, your review of Coastal Spices is pending here
I am penning the review and should be here very soon. Overall, it was great food and a worthwhile experience.
Old 28th August 2013, 17:08   #5924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
... Bathinde Da Kukkad ( Chicken Gravy Dish) which is made with green chillies and curry leaves. ...
Curry leaves in a Punjabi dish? Can't be. That would correctly describe the Chilly Chicken from Nandini in Bangalore. No one can dare to eat it more often than once in 3-4 months. First the chicken is killed by feeding it with GC, and when it dies it is cleaned and then marinated overnight with a paste of GC and garlic. Next day, they cook it with ... you guessed it - more GC and the mandatory curry leaves!

Never eat it at Nandinis - the passage home after that is likely to be perilous. You should always get this as takeaway. Guaranteed to reboot your system and clean all viruses, and make you fit and healthy with countless trips to the water closet after that.

The Bhatinde da Kukkad must be made with Coriander Leaves and Green Chillies. I haven't eaten it, so I am speculating - I might be completely wrong. There is a winter dish called Mirch Gosht - mutton slow cooked for 2-3 hours with Coriander Leaves and whole GC. The chicken one could be an adaptation of that. I have been making Mirch Gosht / Chicken at home for the last 35 years, at least once or twice a year! Coincidentally, the next edition is this weekend at the request of my SIL. (Disclaimer: I am not from Bhatinda, nor have I been there )
Old 28th August 2013, 17:13   #5925
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerAlte View Post
The Bhatinde da Kukkad must be made with Coriander Leaves and Green Chillies. I haven't eaten it, so I am speculating - I might be completely wrong. There is a winter dish called Mirch Gosht - mutton slow cooked for 2-3 hours with Coriander Leaves and whole GC. The chicken one could be an adaptation of that. I have been making Mirch Gosht / Chicken at home for the last 35 years, at least once or twice a year! Coincidentally, the next edition is this weekend at the request of my SIL. (Disclaimer: I am not from Bhatinda, nor have I been there )
Now iam confused if it was coriander or curry leaves. Iam good at eating and judging taste of good food. Thats why you dont see me anywhere near the receipe thread...lol

So can I drive down to bangalore this weekend to enjoy a punjabi chicken dish prepared by a bengali not from west bengal who also happens to be a non-punjabi not hailing from bathinda?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks