Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2013, 09:19   #5986
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Baklava is a Turkish sweet. Did you try their Ghevar? They claim it is amazing but I gave it a pass as I am not into milk based sweets.

Water is complimentary and that is why they do not ask before pouring. I am shocked if they billed it. Can you please share an image or scan of your bill? Seeing will help me and others to be wary and alert when we dine there and also complain about it to help stop the malpractice.

This place is just not in league with Barbeque Nation. It is FAR FAR FAR ahead.

It will soon fizzle out unless the format is changed.

There is "NO" discounts at AB's Wish Grill for FIH members now. It was only for the initial days to promote the eatery.
Yup. Did try Ghevar. But it was not at all sweet and tasted more like rasgulla which has been dried out in the sun losing its entire flavour.

It was actually a treat by one guy who had returned from the US of A. Will see if he still has the bill

+1 to that. Like I said, BN has lost its charm, what with too much crowd. Also the last time we visited, the flags on the tables would not stay upright. Seems they tuned it in such a way that it is always down to avoid serving to people who come there with the sole intention of gorging on the barbeques.

Hope it fizzles out. My office blocks FB and whenever I want a quick review for team lunches, I always refer TBHP more than the Burps and the Zomatos.

Yup. They had this discount thingy going for only a couple of weeks or so. We had particularly asked if this scheme is still running.
Old 30th October 2013, 15:00   #5987
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepv View Post
I have been picking up lately from KDM relatively more frequently ... and their spices seems to have been toned down a bit. I remember couple of months back, we used to have fire in our bellies post these KDM lunches.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Well, I dont think they have toned down their spices but, your palate has got used to it. Reason for repeated visit is their consistency in their taste.
The spiciness due to chillies has certainly been toned down at KDM. Picked up a KMF today for lunch and my wife could eat it with rice without adding curd in bulk.

Parcel Thali + Kakatiya Mutton Fry = 250/-

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20131030-13.11.23.jpg
Old 31st October 2013, 18:39   #5988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash View Post
Sorry for the long post. But I think this place deserves a good long review.Been to this place called Absolute Barbeques which is located above Bajaj Electronics on Jubilee Hills Rd No 36.

What is FIH? Am I missing something?
Looks like its time to pay AB a visit as been hearing about it a lot and everyone seems to be going ga ga over it. Iam not a fan of this style of eating as it promotes too much eating which iam trying to avoid at the moment

Offrelated point, Went to a place called Pirate Grille in Rajaouri Garden in Delhi and the grills were absolutely pathetic but, main course was good

FIH is foodie group in Hyderabad on FB. But, i prefer this style of posting reviews as it gives a better way of expressing than on FB

Quote:
The spiciness due to chillies has certainly been toned down at KDM.
Its been over 2 months that I visited KDM and I reckon its time to pay a visit this weekend to check out if the spiciness is toned down as you say
Old 4th November 2013, 00:19   #5989
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Last evening after maybe a year visited " Reshmi" at Secunderabad for dinner.

Kalmi Kebab
Quote:
Good review NikkiD but, you glaringly omitted an important aspect. Price of each dish

Anyone been to Mama Mia (OTF Competition in Sainikpuri)? Is it good? Do they have seating place?

One dinner this week is dedicated to Mama Mia......
Quote:
Falaknuma themselves are known for the best Mughlai dinner in town and also the most expensive meal in Hyderabad.

However, since Falaknuma is situated near Barkas, you can probably take an autorickshaw and venture out to old city.
Quote:
Originally Posted by getsurya View Post
Farukh, that is quite a recognition to the New Max guys. Surpassing 'Famous' is an acheivement. Will keep this name for December

Hey guys just saw this wonderful thread, dont know how I missed it all thease days.
Very informative and accurate.
A very big thanks to all of you.

Can anyone help me with addresses /phone numberof KDM, reshmi,mama mia and new max.Have heard great reviews of these places but never visited them

Last edited by ecosport rules : 4th November 2013 at 00:22.
Old 4th November 2013, 06:37   #5990
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Can anyone help me with addresses /phone numberof KDM, reshmi,mama mia and new max.
KDM : Lane adjoining Jeans Corner, Lane between RKS Brothers and JC Brothers, Kukatpally-Punjagutta Main Road, Ameerpet. Scroll back on this thread and a link showing the place on Google Map is there somewhere. Phone number may be of no use. It is a mess and there is nothing like table reservation, just go and buy a coupon, wait for yout turn to be seated, eat and get out. If for parcel, buy token, pick up parcel.
Reshmi : Park Lane, opposite original Nanking, Secunderabad. Phone number is listed on Zomato.
Mama Mia : Sainikpuri. I heard it has just 3 tables so I doubt they will take table reservations. Number will be listed on Zomato.
New Max : No idea. Can you share the link to the original post or quote that original post. Must have missed reading about it.
Old 4th November 2013, 10:21   #5991
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
KDM : Lane adjoining Jeans Corner, Lane between RKS Brothers and JC Brothers, Kukatpally-Punjagutta Main Road, Ameerpet. Scroll back on this thread and a link showing the place on Google Map is there somewhere. Phone number may be of no use. It is a mess and there is nothing like table reservation, just go and buy a coupon, wait for yout turn to be seated, eat and get out. If for parcel, buy token, pick up parcel.
Reshmi : Park Lane, opposite original Nanking, Secunderabad. Phone number is listed on Zomato.
Mama Mia : Sainikpuri. I heard it has just 3 tables so I doubt they will take table reservations. Number will be listed on Zomato.
New Max : No idea. Can you share the link to the original post or quote that original post. Must have missed reading about it.
Thank you very much, I wonder why there is no thank you tab beside the quote and quote+ for this thread.Just noticed its absence when I wanted to thank you.
Old 5th November 2013, 21:37   #5992
BHPian

I have been tempted by the pictures of YUM YUM TREE and I have made up my mind to visit this place sooner than later. While starting from HITEC, which is the best route to take ? The Google Maps show a route via ORR, Rajendra Nagar , but I'm not able to make much sense out of this. Are there any major landmarks that can help me navigate through this route.

Last edited by autotranny : 5th November 2013 at 21:41.
Old 5th November 2013, 22:16   #5993
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
I have been tempted by the pictures of YUM YUM TREE and I have made up my mind to visit this place sooner than later. While starting from HITEC, which is the best route to take ? The Google Maps show a route via ORR, Rajendra Nagar , but I'm not able to make much sense out of this. Are there any major landmarks that can help me navigate through this route.
ok....here goes:

1) Take the ORR from Gachibowli and get off at the Srisailam Rd exit (2nd after Airport exit).

2) After paying toll turn left towards Hyderabad.

3) Pass Airport road turning and Pahadi Sharif.

4) You would reach Barkas around 2 to 3 kms after Pahadi Sharif.

5) Watch out for 'Al Arabi' restaurant to your right. It has a small hoarding of an Arab man outside. Slow down after this.

6) Yum Yum Tree would be to your left side a few yards after Al Arabi. It's not exactly by the road side but a few meters inside a lane but visible clearly from the road. There is a car parking area inside that lane.

If you happen to see Chandrayangutta Police station, it means you have driven past YYT.

Hope that helped.

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 5th November 2013 at 22:17.
Old 5th November 2013, 22:24   #5994
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Get on the ORR and exit at Rajendra Nagar.
Take that left turn and keep on driving till the very end. The road terminates under the PVRN.
Turn right and continue towards the airport from under the PVNR.

The PVNR will take a sharp right turn.
You continue straight and under an overbridge kinda thing.

This road terminates into a sort of a T Junction.
Take that left.
Drive carefully. This stretch is filled with very wayward traffic
It takes you straight to Chandrayanaguta.
Old 6th November 2013, 07:26   #5995
BHPian

Quote:
I have been tempted by the pictures of YUM YUM TREE and I have made up my mind to visit this place sooner than later. While starting from HITEC, which is the best route to take ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
1) Take the ORR from Gachibowli and get off at the Srisailam Rd exit (2nd after Airport exit).
2) After paying toll turn left towards Hyderabad.
3) Pass Airport road turning and Pahadi Sharif.
4) You would reach Barkas around 2 to 3 kms after Pahadi Sharif.
5) Watch out for 'Al Arabi' restaurant to your right. It has a small hoarding of an Arab man outside. Slow down after this.
6) Yum Yum Tree would be to your left side a few yards after Al Arabi. It's not exactly by the road side but a few meters inside a lane but visible clearly from the road. There is a car parking area inside that lane.
If you happen to see Chandrayangutta Police station, it means you have driven past YYT.
Ajay, this is the route to take for sheer convenience of stress free driving and better road conditions.

Imran's route is shorter but more crowded and has pot holed roads.

Once in the area, keep a sharp lookout towards the left. Blink and miss is very much possible. There is an open plot in the front and YYT is behind the open plot, not very brightly illuminated place so requires very keen eyes but since road is narrow (just 2 laned and undivided), a navigator is a must.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
You continue straight and under an overbridge kinda thing.
LOL Imran, it is called an underpass.

There is no overbridge there (the road from zoo towards Bangalore is on ground level itself). This road goes under it.

Ajay, top priority is to eat a BBQ burger, they tend to run out of it, 2nd is tandoori burger, 3rd is pattice burger. Apart from burgers, do eat the laham mandi.

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 6th November 2013 at 07:28.
Old 6th November 2013, 10:12   #5996
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecosport rules View Post
Thank you very much, I wonder why there is no thank you tab beside the quote and quote+ for this thread.Just noticed its absence when I wanted to thank you.
Shifting Gears, Introduction sections do not have thanks buttons. FYI

Quote:
I have been tempted by the pictures of YUM YUM TREE and I have made up my mind to visit this place sooner than later
Do try the BBQ Chicken Burger which we have missed out. Suppose to be the best burger they serve. The surrounding area and the place itself looks a bit different than your regular joint but, overall service and owner's (who happens to be an ex security personnel to Bahrain Govt) warmth makes up for it

Do not order the Lahm/Fahm Mandi if your going alone as you will not be able to finish it. It needs minimum 3 hungry souls to finish it.
Old 6th November 2013, 11:32   #5997
Team-BHP Support

The road from Rajendra Nagar exit till the PVNR is quite good. I used it some 20 days back

The road underneath the PVNR used to be decent till 3 months back. I don't know its current status after the rains.

Quote:
A

LOL Imran, it is called an underpass.
Note to self: Brain needs a bike ride to recharge.
Old 6th November 2013, 12:56   #5998
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
The road underneath the PVNR used to be decent till 3 months back. I don't know its current status after the rains.
I returned by this route after the YumYumTree dinner. The road is very good right till the point it reaches the turning to mehdipatnam or tolichowki. Only one small stretch under the flyover near Attapur (I think) is a diversion.
Old 11th November 2013, 19:50   #5999
Distinguished - BHPian

Let me take the initiative of bringing some life back into this thread and hope the regulars follow suit and keep updating this thread even if its a duplication from FIH or FOH

Yesterday, went to Minverva Coffee Shop , Himayathnagar for lunch

We were 3 PAX and ordered the following

Idli
Vada
Masala Dosa
Upma

Idli and Vada was excellent and love the chutneys they serve with the dishes. Even Upma was quite good but, the major disappointment was the MD which specifically ordered with less oil and crispy was just the opposite.

Felt ridiculous paying Rs.75++ for that piece of oily mess

Overall, MCS retains its old world charm but, somehow we enjoy eating at roadside bandi's more these days as the taste is much superior than any fine dining south indian place

On a side note, tasted Idli/Vada/Poori Subji at Hotel Haritha Resort on Saturday for breakfast. It was simply outstanding in comparison to even MCS

Last evening, went to my favorite chinese restuarant " Ohri's Ming Court" at Basheerbagh

We ordered the following :-

Sweet Corn Veggie Soup : Excellent

Governors Chicken : Excellent. Newly introduced item and comes with carrots and large onion slices and spicy to core.

Tofu Hunan Vegetable : I dont relish Tofu. But, mom liked it

Garlic Veg Fried Rice & Hot and Numb Vegetables : Both made all of us drool it was that awesome

Total Damages : Rs. 1300 ( Not bad, eh?)
Old 11th November 2013, 20:11   #6000
BHPian

^^^ Avi you just jinxed me wanted to revive this thread with my yesterdays visit to the same minerva cofeeshop at Himayat nagar for dinner and here i find your post !!

We went there for dinner late and ordered Paneer Tikka, Plate Poori , 2 Butter Nans and one "Malai Kofta"

Paneer Tikka was Ok nothing great but the paneer was fresh though.

The poori was so much drenched in oil, they could cook food for another 10 pax with it.

Then arrived the Nans and Kofta curry. As soon as we had a spoon i forgot what i had ordered in the first place ! The curry was spicy I mean Malai Kofta - spicy gravy ????

I checked with the guy who says " Malai comes in Medium spicy gravy sir... Navrathan korma bole to sweet ata " !! I mean i havnt had/heard Malai kofta to be Medium spicy or spicy for god sakes.... not even in any remote place..... and when i tell him the same thing .... he admits " aap sahi bole bahut se customer yahi bolte hain "

Yes coz that how its made at 99% of the places wonder what falls in that 1% though probably the food gurus can tell me .

Overall the damages to pocket were 670 bucks though the damage was more to stomach and brains

Lesson learnt: Dont assume its a cat even if you know its one ,its better to ask !! and i will better stick to tiffins with MCS from now . Any such ordeals for anyone?

Last edited by Pheonix : 11th November 2013 at 20:12.

Most Viewed