Team-BHP - A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Shifting gears (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/)
-   -   A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifting-gears/45546-guide-eating-out-hyderabad-secunderabad-cyberabad-6.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by aadix (Post 979645)
hey mobike, how come you dont like alex's kitchen?? good food na

did you try chinese pavillion below fribzi?? good food, decent pricing.

hey did anyone try the midnight biryani at green park recently?

I used to frequent Alex's Kitchen since over 15 years or maybe 18 years. It mainly use to run due to its very cordial Maitre'D ( Bobby). Everyone who goes there use to know him and he happened to be a personal friend of my BIL and i know him well too. During those days, it used to be fantastic VFM chinese food. However, in the last few years, quality has drastically dropped. I must have been there about a year ago.

In a chinese restuarant, you can make out the quality by a few things like :

Thickness/Look of a soup,
Size of the rice grain
Size or the noodle
Even if there is a faint quirky smell
Quality of the table cloth

Now, Alex's Kitchen has all the above bad qualities. Also, if you go to Nanking, it used to be great, but just order a rice item and you will know. It will be as thick as my middle fingerlol:

My mom who happens to be a chinese/Thai food lover,absolutely hates having it at these small joints which includes Alex's, nanking, Bowl o China etc. She gets off just by the dingy ambience of these places.

Not been to CP below Freezbi, is it the one at the end of Sindi colony?
I had the GP buffet just a few weeks ago. They jacked up the price, now it is Rs.285 or something. While a few months ago it used to be Rs.225.

But, very boring stuff, the usual, Haleem,Shorba,Bun and Keema, some insipid veg/non-veg curry etc. I only like their Biryani. Their dessert section also sucks. Gulaab Jamoon and Vanilla icecreams ( 80% of the time). How boring.

For late night buffet, nothing beats Picklesclap:

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 979674)

Where is this place? Will try during my next visit to Hyd.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriturl (Post 979680)
Where is this place? Will try during my next visit to Hyd.

It is in Hotel Basera, near Clock Towers, Secunderabad. Another landmark is diagonally opposite to Garden Hotel ( another popular biryani joint).

That compound houses the following restuarants-- Pickles, Outswinger Pub and Mehfil ( All belonging to the Ohri's group).

I can guarantee the variety in Veg an Non-Veg is unmatched in the city. Plus, the advantage of having it at whatever time you like 2am/3am/4am ( only thing is dont be suprised if there is a waiting even at that un-earthly hour:D)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 979693)
It is in Hotel Basera, near Clock Towers, Secunderabad. Another landmark is diagonally opposite to Garden Hotel ( another popular biryani joint).

Thanks..
Basera, right opposite DC office ?

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriturl (Post 979722)
Thanks..
Basera, right opposite DC office ?

Man, you know your way around Hyderabad:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 979746)
Man, you know your way around Hyderabad:)

I may not know things that came up in last 10 years, but otherwise I know well. I grew up completely in Hyd. :)
You remember the famous dialog from "Hyderabad Blues"...
Once a Hyderabadi... always a Hyderabadi.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sriturl (Post 979805)
I may not know things that came up in last 10 years, but otherwise I know well. I grew up completely in Hyd. :)
You remember the famous dialog from "Hyderabad Blues"...
Once a Hyderabadi... always a Hyderabadi.

That's nice. Plan a trip around one of the meets or we can have a meet when your around.

i am from north but, lived most of my life in Hyd so me too a true blue Hydieclap:

Now, i just don't seem to like any other place within india or outside of it!

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 979674)

Not been to CP below Freezbi, is it the one at the end of Sindi colony?

no no, the one below the banjara hills fribzi, a little ahead of midways.

never been to pickles, must check it out now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aadix (Post 980869)
no no, the one below the banjara hills fribzi, a little ahead of midways.
never been to pickles, must check it out now.

Yes, Chinese Pavilion below Fribzi is good,but I prefer Mainland China, though a tad expensive.
Will give pickles a try one of these days.

6 pages and more than 80 posts and still this thread is active ........ so many places in hyderabad for Eating out.

Does any one have any idea about Novatel. Its in Hitex complex. I heard its prohibitively expensive but never heard on how much worth is it. I dont want to waste money(even though somebody else money). Any reviews please share.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kkr2k2 (Post 981157)
6 pages and more than 80 posts and still this thread is active ........ so many places in hyderabad for Eating out.

Does any one have any idea about Novatel. Its in Hitex complex. I heard its prohibitively expensive but never heard on how much worth is it. I dont want to waste money(even though somebody else money). Any reviews please share.

Novatel,
The place I work for used to organise a lot of training sessions at HICC. Food was from Novatel and I found it just so so.
But I assume this would be a little different from the actual buffet that is offered at Novatel.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bblost (Post 981184)
Novatel,
The place I work for used to organise a lot of training sessions at HICC. Food was from Novatel and I found it just so so.
But I assume this would be a little different from the actual buffet that is offered at Novatel.

Apart from their hotel they manage the Hitex(they have the contract) also they organise the marriages happen there. I think they provide food based on the budget.

BTW, i heard Novotel is the only 7-star hotel in hyderabad. One interesting thing I got to know is that they dont have a liquor menu, which means you get all the brands of liquor.(does that mean they have the local brands too)

Raj, dont waste your time nor money on Novatel. I never been there but, heard from lot of people, its no great shakes and that squeaky clean place which is a bit hard to digest:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobike008 (Post 976931)
So the quantities are huge in Punjabi by Nature? It better be at the price they are charging.

I pack a minimum of 5 paans when i am having chinese grub at Blue Diamond. 2 for me, 2 for my wife, 1 buffer if either of us need another onelol: . I hope your talking about the one outside the Fateh Maiden Stadium. Another few favorite paan centers are :

1) Palace Heights
2) Paan shop opposite to erstwhile Skyline Theatre
3) One of the favorite now is the small one oppsite to Haiking Restuarant in Hyderguda

My all time favorite is a very very small one near to papaji ka dhaba. Called Uday cafe, the paan shop owner has seen some very good business from our friends group. Daily 200 bucks minimum in paan and ciggarates during college days.

Been to Punjabi by nature a fortnight ago. Boy, aren't the servings huge. The taste seemed spicy and authentic. Would go there again.

Yeah, Punjabi by Nature is one place I need to try out next.

Pickles is great as its available 24x7. The funny part is the way there offering changes with time in the same day. Once I was there with a huge group at 3 pm. There was a huge queue even at that hour. But one of my Oriya friends talked with the ushers there (most of them are Oriyas) and found a place for us soon. Once we started time just rolled on. All of a sudden I saw a few night shift executives (1 gal and 2 guys) enter with their laptops. And then saw that they were quickly taking away the serving dishes bowls etc from the main table and replacing them with different sized bowls, dishes etc. Then we realized that it was past 5am and they were getting ready for the morning breakfast buffet! haa haa haaa...

By the way even the attached Mehfil is also good for ala-carte.