Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2008, 14:13   #211
HPP
BHPian

It's interesting to hear about TGIF in India. Hopefully for them, they'll up their game before they fail as a business in HYD/India.

BTW, "Sizzling" in the US is sometimes literal, and sometimes just a term they use for something spicy(which would not be spicy to us Indians ).

But this thread kills me. I make the mistake to check in on it every once and a while, and every time I do it makes my mouth water and makes me wish I was in HYD! Eat some for me guys!

Last edited by HPP : 21st November 2008 at 14:15.
Old 21st November 2008, 14:42   #212
BHPian

Is it just me or do you all notice this? Hyderabad restaurants have become more expensive then they used to be a few months ago. Joints that I frequent have all increased their prices (some by nearly 40%) and it is getting expensive to dine out by the day.
Old 21st November 2008, 14:49   #213
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
Is it just me or do you all notice this? Hyderabad restaurants have become more expensive then they used to be a few months ago. Joints that I frequent have all increased their prices (some by nearly 40%) and it is getting expensive to dine out by the day.
Agree with you. Almost all of them have jacked up their prices. For e.g i picked up a parcel ( tandoori chicken, biryani and Mutton Roganjosh) from Mohini's in Basheerbagh last night after a month or so. I was suprised to see they have a new menu card and all prices are atleast 20-25% higher. And, this being a small cozy joint, and for bigger ones it could be easily 40% which reminds me that i should curb my eating out fetish. But, then i always tell this to myself and zilch that it happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPP View Post
But this thread kills me. I make the mistake to check in on it every once and a while, and every time I do it makes my mouth water and makes me wish I was in HYD! Eat some for me guys!
I feel sorry for you. Yes, we are enjoying a lot of good food in hyderabad.

But, dont worry when your here for a holiday, puri kasar nikalna
Old 21st November 2008, 18:16   #214
BHPian

Moksh

guys, i had been to Moksh today.

The restaurant is located at the entrance to Necklace road from tank bund. It has been built at the same place that once used to house the Nest restaurant.

I was at the buffet today. The food is nothing to write home about. But the ambience is really good. The seats overlooking the Hussain Sagar are really nice.
The food coming from the same group that runs Utsav, could have been better.

Another thing is the service. The service is absolutely amazing. They were quick to respond and were ever ready to help you out.

As we had the buffet, only the Ginger Chicken that was served as the starter was good. The rest of the food was just about ok.

I would recommend the place if its ambience that you are looking for and awesome service. I would try the place out again sometime soon and i plan to go a la carte this time.

Last edited by maranellored : 21st November 2008 at 18:25.
Old 21st November 2008, 18:47   #215
Senior - BHPian

Even though restaurants are jacking up their prices, it looks like there is a sharp drop in the clientele. I'm saying this because we reserved a table for our team buffet lunch at Zafraan Exotica yesterday.
When we reached there, every bearer smiled at us and wished us. The lunch, as usual, was delectable. But after spending nearly an hour there, we found only 2 more customers! The last time we went there (4 months ago), we had a tough time getting a table.
Is the US meltdown affecting their business? In that case, good sense should prevail and they should lower their rates.
Old 22nd November 2008, 09:46   #216
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Even though restaurants are jacking up their prices, it looks like there is a sharp drop in the clientele. I'm saying this because we reserved a table for our team buffet lunch at Zafraan Exotica yesterday.
When we reached there, every bearer smiled at us and wished us. The lunch, as usual, was delectable. But after spending nearly an hour there, we found only 2 more customers! The last time we went there (4 months ago), we had a tough time getting a table.
Is the US meltdown affecting their business? In that case, good sense should prevail and they should lower their rates.
Empty seats in restuarants-That's good observation. In fact, that is the quickest way to note the spending power of regular IT folks. Because, i am guessing the city's buffet concept was commenced to attract IT salaried people.

All companies are cutting costs, no more travel ( replaced with VC meetings), senior folks travelling in economy instead of business, no more team outings, careful spending on customer lunch/dinners & cap on mobile/data card ( i know how it has effected me)

Next in line, may be the variable pay, if that happens we IT folks are doomed

To give an example, got to know from some friends in US, Rainforest cafe in the US which is packed all through the week was empty on saturday is a good example that people arent taking risk of spending their hard earned money on frivoulous outings in such dangerous economic situation. so probably, it applies here for the IT folks too in small way.

Btw, how much is the buffet lunch in Exotica? would love if you can describe some of the dishes they served in this place?

You know the saying, visualizing the food is sometimes as good as consuming it
Old 24th November 2008, 10:59   #217
Team-BHP Support

:::YOKO SIZZLERS:::

Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

Ordered a Chicken and a Steak sizzler.
They both had a portion of
peas, cauliflower, beans, carrots, French fries.

The steak was very well done and quite juicy.
The chicken was ok and came with mushrooms and cream.

Also ordered on Mexican Hat mocktail for my wife. It was very sweet. But my wife liked it. I dont care much for sugar based calories. If I am taking calories would rather prefer the meat kind.

Bill was 750. Each sizzler was just a little less than 300 bucks.
Nice ambience and service.

And yes, I have started noticing the decreasing crowds at restaurants too.
Old 24th November 2008, 12:59   #218
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Btw, how much is the buffet lunch in Exotica? would love if you can describe some of the dishes they served in this place?

You know the saying, visualizing the food is sometimes as good as consuming it
Oops, got to see this only today! Well, as far as the items in the buffet are concerned, I recall there was mutton roganjosh and 2 wet chicken curries. This is apart from the starters they gave, both veg and non-veg.
They also had mutton biryani, chicken fried rice, pasta, veg fried rice, veg noodles, butter naans, parathas, etc.
They also had good dessert items like long and delicious gulab jamuns, ice cream, pastries, kheer and small rasgullas--forgot what they are called.
What I liked most was the ambience. Definitely worth a visit.
When we went for a team dinner a few months ago, we spotted VVS Lakshman and Karunya there. The view of the city at night is awesome from the restaurant, as it is on the roof top
Old 24th November 2008, 15:50   #219
Distinguished - BHPian

@Venu, sounds delicious. But, you forgot to mention the price of the buffet? Rs.250?

As usual, last night no mood to cook at home ( sunday's our cook doesn't come), so while coming back from a long Himayathnagar-TO-hitec-city bike ride ( you know just for the heck of it, without helmet enjoying the cool breeze of the sunday evening, its really a lot of fun) picked up some goodies from a small dhaba ( Shahji Ka Dhaba) at Lakdikapul.

I think someone mentioned about this last time around on this thread.

We picked up some Mutton Fry and Kadai Chicken which is listed as their speciality on the menu card. Both of them were indeed quite delicious.

I would go there again
Old 24th November 2008, 20:20   #220
Senior - BHPian

Wow, I'm heading out for Shahji Ka Dhaba this week for sure.
Yes, the buffet was priced around Rs 250/-, but I will cross-check from the guys who hosted it---they were trainees in our team whom we'd recruited a couple of months ago.
Old 24th November 2008, 22:29   #221
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I think CtrAltDel, already been to TGIF and felt the same way like you-Cheated. It sounds ridiculously expensive and maybe open to serve the politicians/beaurocrats/filmstars of J and B Hills.

I dont think i am in a hurry to check this place out
i did go to TGIF once and it is an expensive place. but my feedback is sorta mixed coz i did like the food there.

the thick tomato soup was especially awesome. i also liked the chicken dish I had that day and the dishes others ordered (2 of them vegetarian) were good too.

the only -ve seems to be the cost. as long as you find some bakra to foot the bill, its a good option. keep it as a venue for company lunches or for entertaining firangi colleagues (they would enjoy it).

@Mobike: where is this Shahji Ka Dhaba?

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 24th November 2008 at 22:31.
Old 24th November 2008, 22:41   #222
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Wow, I'm heading out for Shahji Ka Dhaba this week for sure
Hope you have no qualms regarding food from small dhabas, if no-then you would enjoy it.

Personally, i love dhaba food

Anand, i just saw your message. Shahji ka Dhaba is on the Lakdikapul road. When your coming from Public garden, you cross central court then take a left cross the bridge and take a right towards khairtabad. As soon as you take this right, it is on the left side. It's a small place but frequented by a lot of families too.

Last edited by mobike008 : 24th November 2008 at 22:44.
Old 27th November 2008, 12:13   #223
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by suren181 View Post
For all you lovers of Chettinad style food. "Anjappar" of Chennai, is in town. Even though they are not fully opened yet, as in the ground floor is yet to begin operations. The first and second floor are operational and the taste is just the same as you get in Chennai.

They are near Model house Punjagutta, adjacent to "Hotel Kritunga". I have already visited them twice with family, once for Lunch and once for dinner.
Thank you very much.

Had a great dinner last night.
The prices are quite reasonable.

One serving of Dosai, Idly, Chicken Kothu Parrota (diced parrota), fried fish, Poondu(garlic) Kolumbu(gravy?) and mineral water.
Bill was Rs 299.
Old 27th November 2008, 12:50   #224
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Thank you very much.

Had a great dinner last night.
The prices are quite reasonable.

One serving of Dosai, Idly, Chicken Kothu Parrota (diced parrota), fried fish, Poondu(garlic) Kolumbu(gravy?) and mineral water.
Bill was Rs 299.
Your welcome boss. May I also suggest the next time around that you try the different types of Dosas namely, Egg Dosa and Kheema Dosa (Kheema of either Chicken or Mutton as per your choice)?
Old 28th November 2008, 15:41   #225
Distinguished - BHPian

Guys, planning to go out for dinner. Any info on authentic Mexican or Italian places out here?

Please no Tex-Mex OR Little Italy. Been there already before.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks