Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2009, 14:19   #631
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Woaa, you know how much i hate working out. The only working out i like is one hand holding a soft drink and another grabbing a snack
Good to find someone who works out more than me .

Quote:
These days my mom likes Chillys ( Paradise and M.G Road Branches) and Methi ( Right next to KFC, M.G Road). Very good veggie food at economical prices.
I will try these places whenever I go there. The usual lunch stop for me is Paradise to have a Veg Biryani (Dont even dare to taste it!!) with my cricket team mates while returning from Gymkhana. There is one Santosh Dhaba (pure veg) in the lane behind DHL opposite to Paradise (on the road which goes to fire station/ Sky Chef) and the food is quite good there. Ambiance is not that good, but the prices are quite cheap. 60-80/- for a dish. I visit there quite often.

Quote:
Been there a couple of times and always had ala carte, never liked it so much. Should try the thali one of these days when there is no work, post lunch..LOL
After the THALI you can sleep peacefully for 2 hours in office.
Old 12th June 2009, 14:54   #632
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrinalSinha View Post
Good to find someone who works out more than me . .
You should then be a regular to our dinner meets so you can have a nice bout of work out. Latitudes will then look expensive comparitively...heheh !

Quote:

I will try these places whenever I go there. The usual lunch stop for me is Paradise to have a Veg Biryani (Dont even dare to taste it!!) with my cricket team mates while returning from Gymkhana. There is one Santosh Dhaba (pure veg) in the lane behind DHL opposite to Paradise (on the road which goes to fire station/ Sky Chef) and the food is quite good there. Ambiance is not that good, but the prices are quite cheap. 60-80/- for a dish. I visit there quite often
If you like Santosh dhaba, then you should try out their other outlets. One is the lane next to Big Bazaar in Abids and their original outlet is in Feelkhana, near Begum Bazar.

Even i like Santosh Dhaba but my mom and wife are a bit averse to the ambience so it is almost like we don't go there now.

Infact after a late movie, me, Milecruncher,Rajesh Rawal, Mrs.Milecruncher and my wife we had a sumptious dinner at Santosh Dhaba in Abids
Old 12th June 2009, 15:13   #633
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriturl View Post
Actually I liked it better than Chutneys buffet. Chutneys buffet was quite ordinary. They can add a few more traditional items to live up to their authentic andhra vegetarian image. That was a bigger disappointment for me
Isn't Chutney's more Tamilian Vegetarian than Andhra?
Old 12th June 2009, 15:22   #634
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

The one decently decent tamilian style Sambar and Vada has been in Saravana Bhavan on the PG road Secunderabad. Very close to Paradise.

Small restaurant but good service.

cross hairs on the hotel: Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!
Old 12th June 2009, 15:29   #635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

The one decently decent tamilian style Sambar and Vada has been in Saravana Bhavan on the PG road Secunderabad. Very close to Paradise.

Not sure about Saravana Bhavan. But ShanBagh at Panjagutta is also not proper south Indian. (I think it's kannada south Indian - They give you Raitha with Pongal! )

The only decent place I found for south Indian tiffin items is Dwaraka at Lakdikapul!
Old 12th June 2009, 15:37   #636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Can you elaborate with some description of dishes, pricing etc.
We had
  1. Garlic Bread ( with some add-ons, not the normal variety)
  2. grilled Steak with ribs and sausages.
  3. Chicken Chimichanga ( I think thats what the name was)
  4. One Mocktail PinaColada
Bill : Rs 1200/-

Had lunch buffet @ 199/- at Ginger Court, Madhapur, choice was good but I think in terms of spread and service, Lunch buffet at Shanghai Dice, Raj Bhawan Road for 175/- is the best.

@bblost: Is there Saravana Bhawan in Hyderabad. I'm a big fan of Saravana Bhawan and Karaikudi

Last edited by MileCruncher : 12th June 2009 at 15:40.
Old 12th June 2009, 15:39   #637
BHPian

Quote:
Andhra food for me means a Visit to Amravathi Madhapur for their lunch Thali. 80/- bucks a plate and worth every paisa of it. Everything else (veg) is a wastage of money/time. They are closed for renovation now.
I had lunch at Amaravathi twice, came out disappointed both times. In my view, the best Andhra Thali in town are - 1) Annapurna, S.D.Road, 2) Taj Mahal, Abids, 3) Anupama, Ameerpet, in that order. Heard good things about the Andhra cuisine at The Spicy Venue (J'Hills) and Rayalaseema Ruchulu (near Masab Tank), but never had a chance to visit those places so far.

Quote:
I used to frequent this place very often in the past since it was my mom's ( she is pure veggie) favorite place. But down the years, their quality has detoriated and their prices have hit the roof.

Btw, they were one of the first restuarants to introduce the ST concept and sometimes i used to be just to look at the tax component.

These days my mom likes Chillys ( Paradise and M.G Road Branches) and Methi ( Right next to KFC, M.G Road). Very good veggie food at economical prices.
Yeah, I always felt that the food at Utsav was overrated. Must admit they are good at promoting themselves, and it probably helped that they are early entrants in to Veg fine dining restaurant space in Hyderabad.
Old 12th June 2009, 15:40   #638
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by f450 View Post
Its a south indian vegetarian and not particular to any state. You know the confused lot type, thats what it is.

Quote:
NO. NO. NO. NO. NO. NO.

Been there a few times, it is way way too small and can probably seat about 20 people to maximum. Its in the lane leading to HDFC bank near Paradise. I agree this is the only south indian joint close to serving you the right tamil flavour.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Not sure about Saravana Bhavan. But ShanBagh at Panjagutta is also not proper south Indian. (I think it's kannada south Indian - They give you Raitha with Pongal! )

The only decent place I found for south Indian tiffin items is Dwaraka at Lakdikapul!
Nazim, you had to bring up Shanbagh. We were there for a south indian dinner day before yesterday. Basheeerbagh wala. My mom is stuck in those old times when they use to serve good south indian food.

Btw, probably my mom still likes Shanbagh ( Basheerbagh) is because she issued license to them to run their business
Old 12th June 2009, 15:51   #639
Team-BHP Support

Kamat is a decent restaurant.
The one at Basheer Bagh is nice.
The pongal in particular deserves a special mentions.
Old 12th June 2009, 16:16   #640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Kamat is a decent restaurant.
The one at Basheer Bagh is nice.
The pongal in particular deserves a special mentions.
You mean behind Ravindra Bharathi..right? Btw, thats not basheer bagh, thats Saifabad
Old 12th June 2009, 16:52   #641
BHPian

Quote:
If you like Santosh dhaba, then you should try out their other outlets. One is the lane next to Big Bazaar in Abids and their original outlet is in Feelkhana, near Begum Bazar.

Even i like Santosh Dhaba but my mom and wife are a bit averse to the ambience so it is almost like we don't go there now.

Infact after a late movie, me, Milecruncher,Rajesh Rawal, Mrs.Milecruncher and my wife we had a sumptious dinner at Santosh Dhaba in Abids
I guess they have a branch in Banjara Hills too. Dont know the exact location though!

If I am at Abids, the only place I eat is Prem. It is in Chirag Ali lane Jagdeesh Market. The food Served there is the best North Indian Food in Hyderbad. It is another budget restaurant!! Cheap on pocket, best in hospitality! the only down side is the Ambiance. Still, that is the place to go. With the variety of juices available with him (seasonal), I simply love this place. Quite often I trvel I all the way down to this restaurant from Kondapur to dine. They have a branch as SR Nagar. I have never visited that and the owner told me its a South Indian Outlet.
Old 12th June 2009, 16:54   #642
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
You mean behind Ravindra Bharathi..right? Btw, thats not basheer bagh, thats Saifabad
Yes. That is the one.

And I should stick to my wikimaps instead of names.

Hey,
How about a mid week lunch sometime in the coming week.
Any day except Friday is fine by me.
Old 12th June 2009, 18:32   #643
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I guess they have a branch in Banjara Hills too. Dont know the exact location though!

If I am at Abids, the only place I eat is Prem. It is in Chirag Ali lane Jagdeesh Market. The food Served there is the best North Indian Food in Hyderbad. It is another budget restaurant!! Cheap on pocket, best in hospitality! the only down side is the Ambiance. Still, that is the place to go. With the variety of juices available with him (seasonal), I simply love this place. Quite often I trvel I all the way down to this restaurant from Kondapur to dine. They have a branch as SR Nagar. I have never visited that and the owner told me its a South Indian Outlet.
My, My. So you know about Prem's too. I agree it is a good place but is always very crowded since it is close to that big society. I like their juices very much.

If your in Abids, then you should eat at Paapaji Ka Dhaba, thats my all time favorite place and is owned by my dad's friend. Been going there since over a decade. Taste hasnt changed since then. Great non-veg food.

Quote:
Yes. That is the one.

And I should stick to my wikimaps instead of names.

Hey,
How about a mid week lunch sometime in the coming week.
Any day except Friday is fine by me.
Jo Hukum Sarkar, we will make sure entry for people for this lunch meet is only for folks who contribute here

Will post it on June meet thread on Monday. Keep a look out for that. Most probably for wednesday or thursday.
Old 12th June 2009, 18:43   #644
Senior - BHPian

Slurp - Saagar Paapajee da Dhabha

Now that Avi has mentioned Sagar Paapaji Ka dhabha, my mouth is watering.

The old Sardarjee was the manager of 3 Aces, so it reminded me of another place run by the Ahujas of 3 Aces called Golden Gate or something.....right at the entrance to Palace Heights......the food there was good too. Is it still around? Perhaps moved into Ahuja Complex?

Oh that reminds me of another old place - for Pav Bhaji, chaat etc. on Himayatnagar Mn. Road as soon as you turn in from the Basheerbagh Main road. .....was it some Anand? Is it still around?

Cheers,

Cheers,
Old 12th June 2009, 18:47   #645
Team-BHP Support

Speaking of fresh fruit juices:
Wikimapia - Let's describe the whole world!

In Vijaynagar colony a new spot opened up.
They also serve Shawrma (Rs 40).
A bun and well done pieces of chicken.

Juices range from 15 Rs onwards.
The fruit plate is nice and sweet. A little too sweet but I kinda liked.

Last edited by bblost : 12th June 2009 at 18:48.

Most Viewed