Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2009, 18:59   #646
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrinalSinha View Post
I guess they have a branch in Banjara Hills too. Dont know the exact location though!
Can you please try to find out some information about the location! It will be a boon to me as I stay in Banjara Hills!

I think we have to start a eating-out in hyderabad month & visit all these nice places!

Also, try out the TEA at Cafe Nandini, Madhapur. INR 8/- (once someone was asking the guy behind the counter -"Why are you charging 8 bucks for a tea" ). I sometimes stop there just for the tea!
Old 12th June 2009, 19:03   #647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My, My. So you know about Prem's too. I agree it is a good place but is always very crowded since it is close to that big society. I like their juices very much.
Seems like our taste buds know each other quite well!! IIRC I have cooked in Prem's Kitchen twice (for myself). Have been going there for last 4 years.

Quote:
If your in Abids, then you should eat at Paapaji Ka Dhaba, thats my all time favorite place and is owned by my dad's friend. Been going there since over a decade. Taste hasnt changed since then. Great non-veg food.
Pointers to reach the place needed! Hopefully the veg food will be as good as the Non-veg!
Old 16th June 2009, 12:45   #648
BHPian

Rajinder Punjabi Dhaba, Shameerpet - avoid it

Few friends of mine landed here 3 days ago. Tired of the usual restaurents and watering holes, I wanted to treat them to the greenery in Rajinder Punjabi Dhaba. This is the same place where a TBHP meet was held few months ago. I have been to this place 4 or 5 times so far. And each time I was gladdened by the trees and general air of serenity (possibly because you don't find much crowd here), and each time I was disgusted by the quality of food and the slow service.

But last night's experience was even worse. We have ordered reshmi kabab, egg burji, pepper chicken, dal fry, palak paneer and butter chicken.
The service was veryyyyy slow, the food was not prepared well, and the quanity per plate has hit a new low. Except for butter chicken all other items were yuck. On top of it, the server hanged around for 15 minutes for a bigger tip. Sheesh.

Talking of dhabas in general, I feel that the food in most of Hyderabad's dhabas on highways (incl. the Medchal dhabas) is no great shakes and is relatively expensive. In my view, Hamsafar dhaba near Bahadurpally and Classic dhaba on Medchal highway are better of the lot. I am yet to find a highway dhaba within greater Hyderabad that actually serves good punjabi food.
Old 16th June 2009, 13:38   #649
Senior - BHPian

Had parcel from Mamaji ka Dhaba last Friday. The food is no great shakes, quantity is less compared to Y2K and prices quite higher. Taste was ok.

Verdict: Go there only if nothing else is available.
Old 16th June 2009, 16:58   #650
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Now that Avi has mentioned Sagar Paapaji Ka dhabha, my mouth is watering.

The old Sardarjee was the manager of 3 Aces, so it reminded me of another place run by the Ahujas of 3 Aces called Golden Gate or something.....right at the entrance to Palace Heights......the food there was good too. Is it still around? Perhaps moved into Ahuja Complex?

Oh that reminds me of another old place - for Pav Bhaji, chaat etc. on Himayatnagar Mn. Road as soon as you turn in from the Basheerbagh Main road. .....was it some Anand? Is it still around?

Cheers,

Cheers,
Ravvs, both those places are not there anymore AFAIK. Anand Bhawan is gone due to road widening at the Liberty crossroads.

Quote:
Pointers to reach the place needed! Hopefully the veg food will be as good as the Non-veg!
I never had veg food but, i am sure it will be good. The ambience is just ok'sh so dont expect much on that front.

Regarding directions, you may know the GPO in Abids which is opp to Big Baazar, keep going towards Koti and once you cross GPO within 10 meters there is a lane on your left.

Take that left lane and go on for about 400 meters and you will find Papaji ka Dhaba on your left.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Had parcel from Mamaji ka Dhaba last Friday. The food is no great shakes, quantity is less compared to Y2K and prices quite higher. Taste was ok.

Verdict: Go there only if nothing else is available.
Last time when i had from mamaji ka dhaba, i had some stomach trouble. So my wife admonishes me from going there

I tried out the new item at KFC, Box Master which is essentially a roti wrapped with salads, mayoniasse,chicken etc more like a Burrito. It was quite good. Rs.105 for one of them. A meal costs Rs. 129 that includes a coke and fries.

@Nag, What beats me is why do you keep going there when you know the food and service is horrible? We had a similar experience during our meet there.

Last edited by mobike008 : 16th June 2009 at 16:59.
Old 16th June 2009, 22:34   #651
BHPian

Quote:
@Nag, What beats me is why do you keep going there when you know the food and service is horrible? We had a similar experience during our meet there.
Zimble (say it like a mallu), I like the greenery and I don't have to encounter the Hyd traffic. Of course, I won't go there any more.
Old 16th June 2009, 22:57   #652
Senior - BHPian

Had Momo's from Pumpkin in Madhapur.
Chicken Momo (6 pcs) - Rs 40 (+10 for fried)
Veg Mom (-do) - Rs 35 (-do-)

Momo's were good. Even better was the red chilli sauce.

Also had Bandi Chinese from HSBC (opp Karvy) in Banjara Hills

1 Plate each of veg, egg and chicken noodles: Total Rs 55 /-

Good healthy food (atleast no stomach upset)
Old 16th June 2009, 23:42   #653
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Also had Bandi Chinese from HSBC (opp Karvy) in Banjara Hills

1 Plate each of veg, egg and chicken noodles: Total Rs 55 /-

Good healthy food (atleast no stomach upset)
Need to check out those momo's soon, sounds sumptious.

That damn road is so crowded when i am on my way out, i just dont feel like stopping there for them. Anyways, that route for me these days has become once a week instead of 3-4 times a week.
Old 17th June 2009, 00:15   #654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I guess they have a branch in Banjara Hills too. Dont know the exact location though!

there are two actually, one is on jubilee hills checkpost called santosh jubilee and the other is about a 150 mtrs from the pizza hut on rd no 12, called as santosh banjara. imo both of them are avoidable.
there was another branch just opp to the taj banjara gate, dunno if its still there.
imo,the original one is still the best!

the new shanbagh at somajiguda circle is no great shakes. miss the old one, still like the one at basheerbagh, esp for thier north indian food, amazingly tasty!

last week had vada-pav on a bandi at sindhi colony along with furiousspinhx (sagar), and am in love with vadapav from that time! any other good places for vada pav in hyd?

guys, try out pongal early morning at minerva at himyat nagar, it is heaven!
i generally go there by 7am, the place looks diff from the rest of the day! full clean and shiny with a diff amibeince itself, the mla pessartu and the pongal taste soo awesome in the morning along with two cups of strong filter coffee

another good place for south indian food early morning is poorna tiffins, its in a lane beside the yousufguda stadium, amazing amazing south indian tiffins drenching in ghee!
if locating the place is a problem, am 100 sure%, i will be there to guide all the food loving hyd team-bhpians to that place!

Last edited by aadix : 17th June 2009 at 00:16.
Old 17th June 2009, 10:36   #655
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
another good place for south indian food early morning is poorna tiffins, its in a lane beside the yousufguda stadium, amazing amazing south indian tiffins drenching in ghee!
if locating the place is a problem, am 100 sure%, i will be there to guide all the food loving hyd team-bhpians to that place!
Yes the food is amazing. I usually go there after late night parties at about 6 in the morning. Even at 6 the place is packed.
Old 17th June 2009, 14:08   #656
Distinguished - BHPian

Poorna tiffins seems to have started an uproar of the ghee dripping kinds,

i think we should plan for a meet for a morning jog at Yousufguda and then eat breakfast at Poorna Tiffins. I dont know about the former, but expect me to be there for the latter session for sure
Old 17th June 2009, 16:08   #657
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Poorna tiffins seems to have started an uproar of the ghee dripping kinds,

i think we should plan for a meet for a morning jog at Yousufguda and then eat breakfast at Poorna Tiffins. I dont know about the former, but expect me to be there for the latter session for sure

lol, have you been to poorna tiffins before? count in me for the latter session too!

Quote:
Yes the food is amazing. I usually go there after late night parties at about 6 in the morning. Even at 6 the place is packed.
kewl, good to see a fellow late niter, any suggestions for other late nite food places? have tried the hsbc fella,the rbi quarters idly guy and another bandi close to yousfuguda checkpost.

Last edited by aadix : 17th June 2009 at 16:09.
Old 17th June 2009, 16:21   #658
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
kewl, good to see a fellow late niter, any suggestions for other late nite food places? have tried the hsbc fella,the rbi quarters idly guy and another bandi close to yousfuguda checkpost.
Try out the cafe next to Y2K for midnight biryani. Shutters might be down but if you go and stand there they open and give you whatever you want.
Old 17th June 2009, 18:40   #659
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
lol, have you been to poorna tiffins before? count in me for the latter session too!.
Nope, dont even know where Yousufguda stadium is. But, have a faint idea. I think you need to go straight from Sarathi Studio..Right?

Quote:
Loads of economic and bandi type of places for food for late nighters. I have become too old now so i get home early these days ( around 2am or latest by 3am)

1. Niagara, Hyderguda is open for Biryani ( take-away until 3-4am)

2. If you know chaderghat, near the circle, take the road that goes to Darrusalam ( I think thats what its called) and when you enter that lane, there is a restuarant on the right side which is open very very late. And, good food too

3. You can try out the Bandi Chinese and Omlette Bread at Kacheguda Railway Station which is open "24 Hours" & " 365 days" a year.

4. Another good bandi is Idli Bandi at Imbliban Bus Station. Hot Hot Idlis but lethal chutney, it can practically burn your tongue. Open all through the night

More, when I remember
Old 17th June 2009, 18:54   #660
BHPian

Quote:

The Momos in Pumkins are ok, according to me. But then, I doubt I'll find a good Momo place in Hyderabad, especially since I got spoilt eating momos in Calcutta/Kolkata and Darjeeling!

Incidentally, the veg food at Asal, the place next to Pumkins, is quite good. Being a Non-veggie, I actually go here in spite of it being a pure veg joint.

Getting bored of having lunch at Vega (Acccendas' Food Court), so these days, I'm having lunch pretty often in Nihaal Punjabi Dhaba, down the lane opposite Cyber Gateways. Fantastic Punjabi food, and relatively cheap. Today went with 2 other people (both Punjabis). Had 3 aloo parathas, 1 Chicken curry, 4 phulkas, 1 Rajma Masala and 1 plain rice. Total cost was Rs 158.

It looks dingy, but the food is great, esp if you like North Indian food.

Last edited by DriverR : 17th June 2009 at 18:59.

Most Viewed