Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 10th August 2009, 12:47   #826
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
@FordManchau, I drove past Dinehill but, it didnt seem like a place where you can have dinner with family so i continued on my drive tonight while enjoying the light drizzle and went on to "Banne Nawabs" Toli Chowki.

It has decent ambience, though the area for sitting is quite less. Maybe a 30- seater if not more.

This is what we ordered

Haleem : Rs.75
Patthar Ka Ghost ( 125 gms) : Rs.100
Meat Biryani : Rs.150
Mineral Water Bottle and Cold Drink : Rs.40
Phirni : Rs.45

Total Bill : Rs.425

Patthar Ka Ghost is to die for but the quantity was too less. Succelent, Juicy and absolutely tender and cooked to perfection

Haleem was also mind boggling. The flavour just sinks on to your tongue

Biryani was also quite good. I liked the meat which was absolutely tender but the rice was not to my liking, i like the biryani rice to be fine grained and dry but, here it was a bit soggy and color was also not right. I like the golden brown when it comes to my biryani

Phirni was out of this world but quanity was way too less.

Thanks Bblost, enjoyed my experience here. I will go back only for the Patthar ka Ghost. Truly, Madly and Deeply in love

I said it once and I will say it again.....a membership to Talwarkar's coming up?
Old 10th August 2009, 14:45   #827
BHPian

This is slightly OT because it is about food but not that of Hyderabad.

Last weeked I visited my home town (Guntur). Because of my new-found interest in food, Thanks to Mobike, I tried eating out a couple of times for breakfast.

The first outing was to "Hotel Shankar Vilas" (a busy junction in Guntur is named after this famous land mark, a la Paradise junction in Secunderabad). I ordered Sambar Idly and Plain dosa. Both were awesome. I realized, for the umpteenth time, the importance of good chutney in elevating any south Indian tiffin to a new level. The sambar was, as expected, yummy. TBHP-Hydies who wax eloquent about certain tiffin joints in twin cities should try out the breakfast in hotels of Guntur or Vijayawada (I do not know much about other towns in coastal Andhra) before they start benchmarking their favourite joints.

My other visit was to "One Town" of Guntur (a.k.a. older part of the city) to savour a different kind of breakfast. We had chosen "Hotel Barkhat" ahead of ever-reliable "Syed Babu Hotel" to dig into khichidi-Kebab and Paya. As customary in Guntur, these dishes were served along with Gongura Chutney and hot gravy.

khichidi-Kebab
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-aug-6.jpg

Paya
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-aug-7.jpg

3 of us consumed 5 plates of khichidi-Kebab. I must say it was after a very long time I felt the heaviness of such high-calorie breakfast. The food quality was decent, the price was not inexpensive though, partly because of the popularity it enjoys.

I hope that TBHP-Hydies will plan a stop over at Guntur when they plan a tour of Suryalanka beach, so that they can treat themsleves to the above mentioned food and more.
Old 11th August 2009, 12:55   #828
HPP
BHPian

I love this thread! I'm hoping to be there this winter and try a lot of the places in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Last night picked up some food from Banne Nawabs in the Yusuf Tekri complex near Nalan Nagar crossroads.

Family Pack Mutton Biryani -> Awesome -> Rs 425
Dum ka Chicken -> Very good -> Rs 140
Rumali Rotis -> soft and very well made -> 10 Each
Pherni -> sweet dish, very very good -> 45 each and its served in a earthen dish

Pathar ka gosh -> juicy, chewy, soft, exquisite, tender, delicious, AWESOME -> Rs 195 for 250 gms

I love this restaurant.
Quote:
Is this restuarant in same complex as Four Seasons? I love Patthar ka Gosht, i will go there only for this dish.
Quote:
yes same complex.

Between Maks Kitchen and Mandar.

This is one of the best places in Hyderabad.
So many restaurants, each serving very good food across different price ranges.

They should declare this as a place as food temple.
Quote:
I agree, It should be re-named to Temples of Food and as we normally do, we should make it a point to visit the god regularly
These posts make me . Anyone be interested in a car meet/eat some good food at this complex this winter(when I am there)?
Old 12th August 2009, 00:41   #829
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Kudos to Mobike .. Dined at Reshmi's Dhaba , really liked the place and Good VFM .

Could you pls suggest a good tiffin joint typical chennai style .
Glad you liked Reshmi's. I am a regular there and right from owners, waiters and even the valet guy know me very well. Every visit was enjoyable even if they have jacked up their prices a bit offlate.

Chennai style tiffin house is close to paradise hotel. Take the lane adjacent to HDFC office in Paradise ( a few meters from paradise hotel) and you will find this hotel where they serve authentic chennai style tiffins et.all.

I am not able to recall the name of the hotel. Perhaps, Bblost may help you here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I said it once and I will say it again.....a membership to Talwarkar's coming up?
Fitness Guru, i am so fond of food, gym takes a secondary priority. But, yes, i will pretty soon heed to your advice of joining a gym. I am also praying hard that day comes soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagvasireddy View Post
This is slightly OT because it is about food but not that of Hyderabad.

Last weeked I visited my home town (Guntur). Because of my new-found interest in food, Thanks to Mobike,
Nag, thanks for your compliment. Food is life and life is food--my self motto...LOL

Your description with pictures are awesome and i hope we make that suryalanka trip soon ( atleast for those delicious kichid and kebab and idli sambhar....heheheh)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPP View Post
These posts make me . Anyone be interested in a car meet/eat some good food at this complex this winter(when I am there)?
Winter is too far dude. Till then keep visiting this thread and regret you ain't here to enjoy this paradise full of good food...LOL...Btw, isn't it bad staying in the coldest place in the US ( think MN is coldest if not one of the coldest....a close pal stays there) that you plan to visit India during winters again? Oh...i know winters in Hyd are warmer than summers in MN ( ask me, i spent a considerable time in Boston during peak winters)

All above aside, come over, we will have a food party....gorge on the best of what is available

Last edited by mobike008 : 12th August 2009 at 00:43.
Old 12th August 2009, 03:09   #830
HPP
BHPian

Quote:

Winter is too far dude. Till then keep visiting this thread and regret you ain't here to enjoy this paradise full of good food...LOL...Btw, isn't it bad staying in the coldest place in the US ( think MN is coldest if not one of the coldest....a close pal stays there) that you plan to visit India during winters again? Oh...i know winters in Hyd are warmer than summers in MN ( ask me, i spent a considerable time in Boston during peak winters)

All above aside, come over, we will have a food party....gorge on the best of what is available
Yeah, when I am there, I barely think about the food here. But when I am here, I constantly think about the food there.

This place is cold, but not the coldest. We get 4 months of winter, and 8 months of perfection. But to be able to skip 6 weeks or so of our winter and spend it in your winter is a dream.

I watch this thread consistently and drool. I'm gonna have to make a list of places to eat for the trip. But I look forward to getting together with some of you to grab some food, and talk some cars.
Old 12th August 2009, 09:50   #831
BHPian

My sig is dedicated to Avi....
Old 12th August 2009, 10:07   #832
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Chennai style tiffin house is close to paradise hotel. Take the lane adjacent to HDFC office in Paradise ( a few meters from paradise hotel) and you will find this hotel where they serve authentic chennai style tiffins et.all.

I am not able to recall the name of the hotel. Perhaps, Bblost may help you here.
Hotel Saravana Bhavan.

Not affiliated to the chain with the same name from Chennai.
Old 12th August 2009, 23:46   #833
Distinguished - BHPian

Just back from my favorite resturant "Reshmi'" had a scrumptious dinner of the following :-

Tangdi Kebabs
Methi Chicken and Roti's
Kheema Biryani
Soft Drink

Total Bill : Rs.475
Old 13th August 2009, 14:53   #834
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by pulsar56 View Post
Also, try out the TEA at Cafe Nandini, Madhapur. INR 8/- (once someone was asking the guy behind the counter -"Why are you charging 8 bucks for a tea" ). I sometimes stop there just for the tea!
I had my lunch there for the first time.

South Indian thali at 45. Complete VFM.
Only grouse is that the quality of rice is not as good as the quality and taste of everything else.

Had to stand and eat. But loved the food so much that I finished off the entire thali.

My friend had a Chola Batura and Wada.
He loved them although the Batura is a little too oily.

I remembered your advice on the Tea.
Glad I did, cause it is very very good.
Old 13th August 2009, 15:25   #835
Senior - BHPian

Day before yesterday, got a message on phone from domino's pizza, 1+1 free offer on medium and big pizzas, ordered for 1 medium pizza, the other was anyways free.The delivery guy came 15 minutes late(they have 30minutes or free policy on delivery). Asked the delivery guy , you are 15 minutes late, now what? he said, it's free if delivery is not within 30 minutes. We said OK!! thank you,
Got 2 Pizzas for free(bill was for 370/-).
Felt bad for the delivery guy, though I stay just 10 minutes walk away from their outlet.
Old 13th August 2009, 16:01   #836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Day before yesterday, got a message on phone from domino's pizza, 1+1 free offer on medium and big pizzas, ordered for 1 medium pizza, the other was anyways free.The delivery guy came 15 minutes late(they have 30minutes or free policy on delivery). Asked the delivery guy , you are 15 minutes late, now what? he said, it's free if delivery is not within 30 minutes. We said OK!! thank you,
Got 2 Pizzas for free(bill was for 370/-).
Felt bad for the delivery guy, though I stay just 10 minutes walk away from their outlet.
Manish, you should have paid him the money for one pizza. You know they take it from the delivery boy's salary
Old 13th August 2009, 16:12   #837
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Manish, you should have paid him the money for one pizza. You know they take it from the delivery boy's salary
Dominos India :: Disclaimer

Quote:
30 Minutes or Free
Orders of 4 or more pizzas qualify as bulk orders, not valid for service guarantee of less than 30 minutes or free. Maximum Domino's liability is Rs. 300. Delivery guarantee applicable at the first barrier point. Domino's does not penalize its drivers for late delivery. 30 minutes or free not applicable when store operating conditions or not suitable , to be announced at the time of order taking. Dominos Pizzas preserves the right to withdraw the service guarantee without prior information. 30 minuted delivery guarantee not applicable on New years eve,on Ganesh festival , Christmas and Durga Pooja , the service guarantee may be withdrawn temporarily in view of difficult operating conditions for delivery. Conditions apply.
But the liability is limited to only 300. I don't know who will pay for the extra 70/-
Old 13th August 2009, 16:31   #838
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Dominos India :: Disclaimer

But the liability is limited to only 300. I don't know who will pay for the extra 70/-
Thank you bblost, I feel relieved now.
Pandeyji, there has been delays before and I have paid 50% of the bill amount, but this time this guy said , it's free, so we took it, but after he left we felt bad for him, thought we should have paid him 50%. But thanks to bblost. I am a happy person now and can now say, that I really enjoyed the free pizza
Old 13th August 2009, 16:54   #839
Team-BHP Support

OT Warning.

Happened long back in Chennai.
Domino's had just opened a branch near my home. I never really liked the concept of home delivery. so I go there to pick up some Pizza's.
Plus this restaurant was quite close to my house.

I place my order for a couple of pizza's and the bill is about 500 odd bucks.
This is way back in the late 90's.

As I am waiting a family of four comes in.
At that time pizza's were still quite new and Domino's used to advertise their pizza for 99/- bucks only. I don't remember the exact amount. Lets say its X.
The father tells the guy to give him a pizza that costs X.
He is not interested in the menu or anything. Looks like his kids have been pestering him a lot for a pizza. And here he is with all of them.
Was a very sweet looking family.

Now all of us are waiting and seated.
Some 10~15 mins pass by.
A guy comes from inside.
He has a big bag with him.
Looks at me and the bigger group of people.
Gives it to them.
They leave.

I am still not paying any attention.

A little time passes by.
I get one pizza.

I give my bill to the guy and tell him this is my order, why are you giving me one pizza.
Confusion.

Anyways, the manager at the Domino's steps in, apologies for the delay.
And even gives me free Garlic bread.

But I really wonder what happened on the other side.
When the family opens the bag at home. And finds a couple of pizza's instead of the one they ordered.
Old 13th August 2009, 17:07   #840
Distinguished - BHPian

Manish, please PM me where you live. I'd like to visit your house and try a free pizza from Dominos

Most Viewed