Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 20th November 2009, 13:25   #1186
Senior - BHPian

Recently The Hindu posted an ad for a new restaurant called Bagara on S.D.Road and it looked enticing.
So ended up 2 days back for a lunch session.It was a pure Andhra restaurant with some interesting items on the menu in vernacular language like :
- Kandha Vada (Vada made of Yam)
- Mokka Vada (Vada made of Corn)
- Erra Royyalu (Red Prawns)
- Nellore Mansam (Mutton from Nellore)

We straight away ordered 2 Executive Thalis,2 Limited Thalis (Rs.120/Rs.80 respectivly).Ginger Chicken (Rs.160),Erra Royyalu (Red Prawns)(Rs.180) and Kandha Vada (Rs.50).
Feedback about the NV dishes was that they were tangy and spicy the usual Andhra style.
Executive Thali was disappointing in terms of number of curries and accopniments.
Ambience was good and Nov Veg eaters must visit once to taste coastal Andhra food.

Total Damage : Rs.850 with tips.
Old 20th November 2009, 13:35   #1187
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Avi. Now I know that place on that steep climb a few meters before Ford showroom---I'd dropped my wife at a meeting hall once or twice near that place.

Looks like I'll visit that place soon. But I think I'd need to go upto Nirankari Bhavan and take a U turn, as a right turn is not allowed at Khairatabad, what say?
Old 20th November 2009, 13:58   #1188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Thanks Avi. Now I know that place on that steep climb a few meters before Ford showroom---I'd dropped my wife at a meeting hall once or twice near that place.

Looks like I'll visit that place soon. But I think I'd need to go upto Nirankari Bhavan and take a U turn, as a right turn is not allowed at Khairatabad, what say?
Yes Venu Sir, no right turn from Khairatabad circle, but you can take right turn before the khairatabad circle if you are coming from somajiguda. This cut takes you into the lane and exits near the Erramanzil colony red light. You can go ahead to the khairatabad circle and then take a U-turn from there for Kshetra.
(this cut is after the Raj bhavan and exits just before the RTO and Erramanzil red light).

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 20th November 2009 at 14:02.
Old 20th November 2009, 14:02   #1189
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Yes Venu Sir, no right turn from Khairatabad circle, but you can take right turn before the khairatabad circle if you are coming from somajiguda. This cut takes you into the lane and exits near the Erramanzil colony red light. You can go ahead to the khairatabad circle and then take a U-turn from there for Kshetra.

Thanks Manish, I'd forgotten about that U turn at Khairatabad.
Old 20th November 2009, 14:14   #1190
BHPian

I may be wrong but isn't a u-turn forbidden there?

There's no right turn to Anandnagar Colony, coming from Punjagutta and I thought u-turns are not allowed there either.
Old 20th November 2009, 14:20   #1191
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightdrive View Post
I may be wrong but isn't a u-turn forbidden there?

There's no right turn to Anandnagar Colony, coming from Punjagutta and I thought u-turns are not allowed there either.
You can take a U-turn there at the Khairatabad circle when coming from panjagutta, but you can't turn right to AnandNagar colony.
Old 20th November 2009, 14:53   #1192
Distinguished - BHPian

This thread suddenly looked like Hyderabad roads and updates

Lets stick to discussing the goodies
Old 20th November 2009, 14:59   #1193
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
You can take a U-turn there at the Khairatabad circle when coming from panjagutta, but you can't turn right to AnandNagar colony.
Ok. I didn't realise that. Unusual though to have a u-turn allowed at a point where's there's no right turn.

OT - it would probably be ok if people took that u-turn when the signal is green. But since most consider a u-turn to be "free" like left turns and take it anytime, it adds to the chaos in the mornings there because traffic from Anandnagar colony to Raj Bhavan Road gets blocked by these guys.

Edit: Mobike, yes you are right. Just saw your post. Back to the main topic now.

Last edited by straightdrive : 20th November 2009 at 15:00.
Old 23rd November 2009, 12:37   #1194
BHPian

Anyone been to Thai Express in Banjara Hills next to Q-Mart (same building)?

have been contemplating on organizing a lunch meeting there for 10-15 people from work (tired of doing it in Mainland China all the time), so some reviews about the food/place/service will be helpful
Old 23rd November 2009, 13:35   #1195
Distinguished - BHPian

Based on Zen91 and Sai Thakur's advice. Been to Bahar Cafe, Hyderguda and had Meat Biryani and Faluda.

Biryani was quite good and Faluda was ok but i keep comparing to Faluda's you get in Old Delhi and Hyderabadi ones are not even a patch on them.

I was pleasantly suprised to see they opened a nice family section on 1st floor and biryani was quite good.

Will go again
Old 27th November 2009, 15:56   #1196
BHPian

Tgif

Been to TGIF this afternoon with a colleague of mine. TGIF is having a 2 course lunch menu to be chosen from Soup, Appetizers, Salads, Entrees and mini desert with unlimited soft drinks or lemonades. The portions and the menu from which the selection for the 2 course is to be done, is pretty good and IMHO, value for money given the fact that individual dishes in TGIF is expensive.

I opted for Spicy Chicken with dip (Appetizer), Chicken Ceaser Salad and Lemonade. My colleague (Veggie) had Summer Garden Salad, Veg Quesadillas and Coke..

The portions of the dishes were pretty reasonable considering that the lunch costs INR 199 inclusive of taxes. This is valid for Monday through Friday from 12:00 noon to 05:00 PM.

Damages: INR 398 plus tip

Check the URL: Welcome to T.G.I.F
Old 27th November 2009, 16:45   #1197
Distinguished - BHPian

@Ardy, that sounds like a good deal.

And, as you rightly said, the dishes are pretty exorbitant and i didnt like what we had ordered then ( quesidallas, salads and some other continental munchies)

They have one Fish dish priced at Rs.975 and i am sure it will be just a small plate with a few pieces of fish presented in american style

Last edited by bblost : 27th November 2009 at 21:37. Reason: Direct or even indirect reference to alcohol is not permitted on Team BHP
mobike008 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th November 2009, 17:00   #1198
BHPian

@mobike008: Yes TGIF is quite expensive. But, I found this deal as value for money. I mean, I did not return back with stomach half filled. On any other day, I would think that the least that someone would spend at TGIF for a stomach full meal would be close to 700 buck min. A Chicken Ceaser Salad is for 340 bucks. And I had enough for just 199 with a soft drink and an appetizer

Last edited by bblost : 27th November 2009 at 21:38. Reason: Direct or even indirect reference to alcohol is not permitted on Team Bhp
Ardy is offline   Received Infraction
Old 27th November 2009, 17:17   #1199
J.Ravi

I used to visit a road-side self-service eating joint [forgot the name] in Hanuman Tekdi road near GPO for breakfast. I enjoyed delicious and crispy masala dosas, soft idlies and fluffy vada as breakfast at very low cost. The place was always crowded. Similarly, there was another vegetarian restaurant opposite RBI on foothills of Birla Venkateswara Temple, where too I liked the good food. The food was also good at Hotel Dwaraka, Raj Bhavan Road.

Old 27th November 2009, 18:32   #1200
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Ravi View Post
I used to visit a road-side self-service eating joint [forgot the name] in Hanuman Tekdi road near GPO for breakfast. I enjoyed delicious and crispy masala dosas, soft idlies and fluffy vada as breakfast at very low cost.
That's Pragati Idli joint and yes, they serve one of the best and soft idlis in town. We also had a tbhp meet at this joint

Most Viewed