Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 13:50   #1396
Distinguished - BHPian

Ardy, Awesome picture. Need to double check what i missed in that list.

I am thinking of printing that picture and pasting it in my kitchen. Will that be a good idea?

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
EDIT: @Ardy, How could someone forget Misal Pav in the legend for Maharashtra.
Add Bhakri, bakarwadi, chitale bandhu pedhas, laxminarayan chiwda...and Techno, Ashish Pallod where are you ?? Help me out here!
+1 to that. And, what about Susheela? ( No, its not a name of a girl but a dish made of murmura, very tasty i had it recently in Hellikhed, Bidar District

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Can someone tell what does MLA stand for in MLA dosa

Had it in Sandarshini, Masab tank. yum!
Wow, valid question. It never crossed my mind. Did you also try MLA Pesarattu?
Old 26th February 2010, 14:03   #1397
BHPian

i guess mla dosa is like your paper dosa (huge celebrity types). that's why the mla or mp dosa( this part of the world mp's /mla's are the my baap's)
Old 26th February 2010, 14:08   #1398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kraft.wagen View Post
Can someone tell what does MLA stand for in MLA dosa

Had it in Sandarshini, Masab tank. yum!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
i guess mla dosa is like your paper dosa (huge celebrity types). that's why the mla or mp dosa( this part of the world mp's /mla's are the my baap's)
MLA Dosa / Pesarattu are so named as they the best of the variety and contains the maximum quantity possible
Here is an except from one blog Dick & Garlick: MLA Pesarattu
Quote:
It's tempting to link the MLA pesarattu to Naidu's folly, but it seems that the dish was invented before his time. The MLA stands for 'Member of the Legislative Assembly' of course, and the dish itself is a richer, VIP version of the humble pesarattu, stuffed with upma.

But why name it after a mere MLA, when every two-bit Mughlai restaurant in the country lists Chicken Shahjehan and Chicken Jahangiri on its tattered menu? The answer is that the MLA is all-powerful in Andhra Pradesh in ways we cannot imagine. Think of all those Telugu films with titles like Rowdy MLA and Independent MLA, and you'll understand that the term is a badge of status in the region. In fact, there may be an element of satire involved in naming a jumbo dosa an MLA dosa, a dig at the politican's voracious greed.
Old 26th February 2010, 14:47   #1399
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
This is available is Goa as well (dunno whether it was putrefied). Tried it a coupla times myself, it is not too bad. Goans absolutely love it, but might not be everyone's cup of tea....
And I remember having it in B'lore few yrs ago. Reminds me of the long and dense 'congress grass' that the muncilpality workers used to come clearing after few rains

Vijay
Old 27th February 2010, 12:18   #1400
Senior - BHPian

No, fresh shark meat available on the west coast (and in Bangalore) is not the same - that comes from a shark variety about 18" long.

The Iceland stuff is meat from regular large sharks, which is buried for 6-9 months in the sand on the beaches. This causes the meat to slowly putrefy/ferment, and decomposes the uric acid in shark meat.
Old 1st March 2010, 10:34   #1401
Distinguished - BHPian

Is the lunch offer in TGIF still open? I plan to go there for lunch today.

Any other good lunch buffet options?
Old 1st March 2010, 11:24   #1402
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
MLA Dosa / Pesarattu are so named as they the best of the variety and contains the maximum quantity possible
Here is an except from one blog Dick & Garlick: MLA Pesarattu
Hey that was cool.

Quote:
Yep I did have it the Pesarattu one but in office
It wasn't that great, but I enjoyed the one at Sandarshini.
Old 1st March 2010, 11:28   #1403
BHPian

Quote:
Is the lunch offer in TGIF still open? I plan to go there for lunch today.

Any other good lunch buffet options?
As long as the scheme appears on their website, I suppose it means it is on ... and it is there on their website as of this moment.

I lunched at Terrace Bay on saturday. They have a weekday lunch buffet priced at 200++ = 230. Non alcoholic welcome drink, one veg and one n/v starter, 1 chicken dish, 1 fish dish, 1 n/v biryani and regular other dishes. Ice cream, dal barfi, fresh fruit for desserts. I do not know whether it is valid today being holi. Tel. No. 6522 9977.

Not a very extensive range of dishes but well cooked and tasty food.

The kaali daal (or dal makhani or dal maharaja or dal maharani or whatever name you give it) had the most true authentic punjabi taste to it. The paneer in the paneer dish was very good ... melts in the mouth type. The tandoori rotis were pure wheat atta stuff and had the rustic punjabi flavour to them. All in all it was the closest to real punjabi taste food in a long time for all of us. My sister who was here from Delhi did comment "this food has reminded me of Naani whose cooking was just like this including the taste of these rotis." She was talking of the early '70s when we used to eat only tandoori rotis at home.
Old 2nd March 2010, 10:56   #1404
BHPian

Quote:
No, fresh shark meat available on the west coast (and in Bangalore) is not the same
Yep, these are the small ones (baby shark???). Come to think of it, I have seen these for sale at Hypercity in Hyd as well...I stick to Mackerel though
Old 2nd March 2010, 15:16   #1405
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
The kaali daal (or dal makhani or dal maharaja or dal maharani or whatever name you give it) had the most true authentic punjabi taste to it. The paneer in the paneer dish was very good ... melts in the mouth type. The tandoori rotis were pure wheat atta stuff and had the rustic punjabi flavour to them. All in all it was the closest to real punjabi taste food in a long time for all of us. My sister who was here from Delhi did comment "this food has reminded me of Naani whose cooking was just like this including the taste of these rotis." She was talking of the early '70s when we used to eat only tandoori rotis at home.
Great Description Mr.Bajaj. We need folks to describe food in such detail to set the expectations right.

I am going back to TB soon...LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by anurag_p80 View Post
Yep, these are the small ones (baby shark???). Come to think of it, I have seen these for sale at Hypercity in Hyd as well...I stick to Mackerel though
I was there in Hypercity yesterday afternoon and by mistake wandered into the meat section. Saw lot of fish on display but not sure if i spotted a shark in that.

Whew, that smell in there threw me off my balance and spoilt my lunch too....
Old 3rd March 2010, 14:32   #1406
Team-BHP Support

This is HP3. As in Halka Phulka 3 from Mast Kalandhar, Hi Tech City.
Opposite Cyber Towers, above coffee world.
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img093.jpg

Contains: Daal, Veggie, Paneer Curry, Pulav, Salad, Papa, Raita, Chutney, Desert and chaas.

Rs 119.

Total VFM place.
Only Veg.
Old 3rd March 2010, 14:47   #1407
Distinguished - BHPian

I too have been to Mast Kalandhar a few weeks ago for lunch but forgot to post a review of the same.

We ordered the Naans, Dal Makhani, Paneer Butter Masala and there was a drink that i dont remember which was pepper and sweet based.

Food was pretty decent. Liked the Dal Makhani, between the 3 of us, we ordered 2 bowls which are pretty large.

Liked the drink too.

Nice place but a couple of downsides :-

1. Only Veg
2. Damn Noisy and feels like a roadside cafe

I wouldnt go back there again !
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:31   #1408
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post

18. Mohini, Basheerbagh, after Shanbag, beside the flyover. (F only) Searingly spicy fare that is all his own.
Next time any one goes to Mohini, try their Kulfi. I had there recently. One of the best I ever had and yeah!! its a bit bigger also than I had else where!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
A paan helps. A hot ginger tea with little or no milk helps. 7UP Sprite etc does not help....
Can any one list out the places where ginger tea is available. Also I heard a lot about Suleiman Chai. Please list the places this one is available.
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:39   #1409
Distinguished - BHPian

@Raj, Mohini is a nice place for some spicy affair. I use to do a lot of take-aways from them in recent past. But, you tend to get bored with it.

Their Mutton Roganjosh is an awesome dish.

Are you referring to their matka kulfi which is stored in their open freezer? Never tried that till now.

Also, What is Suleiman Chai? Is it a different name to Pauna? Have you ever heard of cutting chai?
Old 3rd March 2010, 15:55   #1410
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Also, What is Suleiman Chai? Is it a different name to Pauna? Have you ever heard of cutting chai?
Suleiman chai is black tea served with a hint of cardamom, ginger and such spices.
Its the de facto drink in the Middle East.

Raj: Try http://www.finjaan.com/.

If you like the kettle with an inbuilt tea strainer they use, its available for sale.
They quote an attrocious price for the same.
Similar stuff is available from Borosil. Difference is that the strainer in Borosil is made of plastic instead of all glass in the Finjaan kettle.

Last edited by bblost : 3rd March 2010 at 16:04.

Most Viewed