Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 15:36   #1576
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Hey Avi!! man, what about we non-resident Hyderabadi's? are we eligible for the discount??
You know about Hydeez Khatirdari. Your part of the discount brouhaha

Only that you need to spend Rs.1500 bucks ( Volvo fare to Hyd and back) to enjoy this discount

Last edited by bblost : 15th May 2010 at 19:39. Reason: Quoted post has been deleted.
Old 14th May 2010, 15:38   #1577
BHPian

I have been following this thread intently. I would like to know where we can get
1) Good Pure Vegetarian buffets
2) Authentic Gujarati Thali Food near Ameerpet (I had been to Shyam Nivas Secunderabad, Pragati Bhojanalay Koti and want something similar to those home food types) I found Rajdhani quite heavy and we cant go daily. A simple light homemade Thali would do.
3) Places where I can get good momos ( i had been to Bowl O china and found them not that great)
Old 14th May 2010, 16:20   #1578
BHPian

Boy on Boy, traveloholic - rename yourself Paan-man. Zillion Thanks on the information - maybe you can edit a wikipedia page on this or a public google map for these shops (Paan tour of Hyderabad) ;-)

BTW, Is there a local Paan patta variety which is worth trying apart from the usual banarsi and calcutta leaf?

Of the shops you mention, who usually keeps Geeli Supari (I think you mention one) - but that does not seem to be the norm in this side of India. Whereas WB, UP, Bihar will usually keep the supari quite wet and easily munchable.

what exactly is Paan Gola ?

I had one of the triple flavoured long dried chutney mixture Paan about two days back and it felt like hellphyr mizzile exploding inside my mouth.

Some speciality in Hyderabad to cover over next year for a Veggie guy.
Thanks again.
Old 14th May 2010, 16:25   #1579
BHPian

The ground floor of the building housing Mainland China at Begumpet next to ITC Kakatiya used to be empty.

Now it houses Kibbeh.

So you have Kibbeh, Mainland China, Sigree, Flame & Grill all housed in a single building opposite CM's Camp Office and Walden.

I am not sure whether the name is Kibbeh or something else and what is the cuisine there but since Kibbeh sounds Lebanese so assume it is Lebanese speciality restaurant.
Old 14th May 2010, 16:54   #1580
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manduvindupondu View Post
I have been following this thread intently. I would like to know where we can get
1) Good Pure Vegetarian buffets
2) Authentic Gujarati Thali Food near Ameerpet (I had been to Shyam Nivas Secunderabad, Pragati Bhojanalay Koti and want something similar to those home food types) I found Rajdhani quite heavy and we cant go daily. A simple light homemade Thali would do.
3) Places where I can get good momos ( i had been to Bowl O china and found them not that great)
1. Good Veg Buffets :-

1. Hotel Utsav, Secunderabad
2. Belsons Taj, Secunderabad
3. Chillys, Paradise

2. Ameerpet is predominantly Telugu dominated so i doubt you will find a Gujju thali area there. Its all fire and spice in that area. I would still say Pragati is the best Gujju Thali in entire Hyd/Secunderabad.

For a simple nice thali, try the raj bhojanalya in Hotel Methi, Ranigunj. Even

3. Reasonable priced Momos, go to Sindhi Colony, Paradise. Bloody Expensive and quite tasty Momo's then it has to be Mainland China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I am not sure whether the name is Kibbeh or something else and what is the cuisine there but since Kibbeh sounds Lebanese so assume it is Lebanese speciality restaurant.
Kibbeh is Lebanese as past couple of weeks they been badgering me with their sms that says how good their hummus/falafel etc is

Last edited by mobike008 : 14th May 2010 at 16:55.
Old 14th May 2010, 17:31   #1581
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
AFAIK, Tamara has closed sometime back.
hmmmmm!!
Quote:
If its romance and ambience that you want. Nothing to beat any of the following restuarants

Zafraan Exotica
Waterfront
Zafraan Exotica ruled out. It is visited by office people frequently.

I guess we will be going for the Waterfront.

Both of us wanted to try the thai food some time. Is it a good idea to experiment with thai food as neither of us never had it?? How is the Thai express, rajesh was mentioning in the FB?? Is it close to Indian or Oriental / Chinese??

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
I think your roomie had no idea about Bangalore what so ever!! "Udipi" hotel that you are referring to near BTM layout which is very popular is "Udupi Garden" and it's an all vegetarian restaurant and one of the best in it's class. ....
ooops!!! its been almost 6 years. I think I have mixed up the hotels. Now i am unable to recollect any hotel other than the Udipi Garden!!!

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 14th May 2010 at 17:41.
Old 14th May 2010, 18:06   #1582
BHPian

Raj, You can also try Tansen @ Ohris, Jalvihar on necklace road. Its got a very good ambience and tasty food.
Old 15th May 2010, 15:49   #1583
Distinguished - BHPian

Been to "Sholay" yet again for dinner last night with mom and wifey. Coincidentally sat on the same table that Bajaj saab occupied the previous night.

Ordered the following :-

Dastane Sholay ( Assorted Veg Kebab Platter) : It was simply superb.
Veg Malai Kofta : It was bland, but the kofta stuffed with cheese was too good. For someone who doesnt like spicy food. This one is a good try
Rotis
Thumbs-Ups
Mutton Biryani

I could be the first guy to avail the 20% discount. All the above costed us just Rs.588 after the discount. This makes this place total VFM

P.S: Read in TOI today, Ramada Manohar has a beverage + 10 Different Kebabs + 5 Different Biryani all for Rs.499 ( All Inclusive). This looks to be an amazing deal. Its on till May 23.

What say guys, next meet here?
Old 15th May 2010, 16:42   #1584
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Read in TOI today, Ramada Manohar has a beverage + 10 Different Kebabs + 5 Different Biryani all for Rs.499 ( All Inclusive). This looks to be an amazing deal. Its on till May 23.

What say guys, next meet here?
I am in for it ... Cheers to Mr Ram Misra, GM, Fortune Hotel (and of Sangeet Theatre Family fame) for such a deal ...
Old 15th May 2010, 20:05   #1585

I searched this thread for "pet pooja" but didn't find it. Its next to the Hero Honda showroom near Kothaguda Circle. 3 people - Dal Chawal, Rajma Chawal, Paneer + 2 Rotis, Gulab Jamun and Lassi. Damage ~210+ tip. Good food - especially at that price point. Rajma Chawal was the highlight.
Old 15th May 2010, 20:20   #1586

Thai food

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Both of us wanted to try the thai food some time. Is it a good idea to experiment with thai food as neither of us never had it?? How is the Thai express, rajesh was mentioning in the FB?? Is it close to Indian or Oriental / Chinese??
For Thai food you have two options.

Thai Express - same building as QMart. Decent fare, Good service, green curry was iffy. Prawn toast was excellent, soup was good, phad thai a little on the sweet side. Overall - good though not exceptional.

Or you could try Isda Thai (above VW). Romantic, beautiful decor, excellent ambiance. Good food. They had a lemongrass ice tea drink that was excellent (don't remember the name). Pricey though.

Thai food is heavy on coconut, lemon grass and spice. More oriental/chinese than Indian. Suggestions for beginners: Tom Yum Gai soup, Green Curry with white rice, phad thai noodles. You can move on to other stuff if you like these dishes.

Sorry I don't remember the prices off the top of my head - Thai Express was ~800 for 2 I think, Isda was more with no alcohol. As I said. Pricey.

Cheers.
Old 15th May 2010, 23:20   #1587
BHPian

Thanks for the prompt reply Mobike008. I guess the Pragati Bhojanalay (Near Pragati College) you are referring to is the one in Koti. Yes, its a great place. Been there several times.

Recently, had been to justNatural Icecreams - An all fruit based ice cream parlour near Banjara Hills road no. 2. Nice place but I guess all other ice cream vendors have started fruit based ice creams! It was a heavily crowded joint and single scoop at 32 seemed fine.
Old 16th May 2010, 00:42   #1588
Senior - BHPian

Thai food and a query on sizzlers

Quote:
Originally Posted by foodie View Post
For Thai food you have two options.

Thai Express - same building as QMart. Decent fare, Good service, green curry was iffy. Prawn toast was excellent, soup was good, phad thai a little on the sweet side. Overall - good though not exceptional.

Or you could try Isda Thai (above VW). Romantic, beautiful decor, excellent ambiance. Good food. They had a lemongrass ice tea drink that was excellent (don't remember the name). Pricey though.

Thai food is heavy on coconut, lemon grass and spice. More oriental/chinese than Indian. Suggestions for beginners: Tom Yum Gai soup, Green Curry with white rice, phad thai noodles. You can move on to other stuff if you like these dishes.

Sorry I don't remember the prices off the top of my head - Thai Express was ~800 for 2 I think, Isda was more with no alcohol. As I said. Pricey.

Cheers.
Went to Thai express about a fortnight ago and we were out in about 10 minutes after one look at the menu. The menu is outright North Indian/Punjabi a bit like Hindi spoken with an oriental accent. Nothing Thai about the place.

What is the menu like in Isda Thai? Do they offer at least some genuine Thai/Oriental fare or is it just Chicken/Brinjal/Panneer in Green/Red/Yellow curry? I just love the galagal and lemon grass flavoured meats in Thai cooking, the stir fried stuff is particularly yummy.

I agree that the green curry is the best suited for the Indian palate. I am particularly fond of it as I find that the green curries are often the best balanced and also lighter than the red or the yellow.

Query:

Ever since Yokos closed down, I have been hunting for a place that serves good sizzlers/steaks. Indijoe does serve some sizzlers but their choice is limited for meat-eaters, chicken is poultry and does not count.

Cheers,
Old 16th May 2010, 07:17   #1589
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
Ever since Yokos closed down, I have been hunting for a place that serves good sizzlers/steaks. Indijoe does serve some sizzlers but their choice is limited for meat-eaters, chicken is poultry and does not count.
Yoko has closed down?
Old 16th May 2010, 11:53   #1590
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am in for it ... Cheers to Mr Ram Misra, GM, Fortune Hotel (and of Sangeet Theatre Family fame) for such a deal ...
I wanted to go there last evening so spoke to them. After all its not such a great deal as the offer is mainly for the food and what we look forward to along with food is limited to just gargling your throat

So with a group of 6 friends went to "Night Flight" instead.

Quote:
Yoko has closed down?
Technically no. Ravvs has posted earlier that management has changed and they turned the place into multi-cuisine with no or little mention of sizzlers.

Most Viewed