Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2010, 13:03   #1681
Senior - BHPian

Sigree,Begumpet/Flames & Grill

Was @ Sigree,Begumpet.Located opp the CM's camp office in the same bldg that houses MLC,Flames & Grills etc.

The place lacks character,extremely over priced.Service is good and genuine but the chefs lack the skills IMO.Just a couple of sofas and chairs put together.

4 adults & 2 kids and total damages came upto INR 4100(without alcohol).To make matters worse,they even have the cheek to charge you a 10% service charge,now thats daylight robbery.

Flames & Grill has the Bbq Nation concept and is priced at INR 500 per head.But I suspect that all the food for the 4 restaurants go from the same kitchen.
Old 28th May 2010, 17:27   #1682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Desserts:
went to Cream stone parlour and orderef Willy Wonka ice cream..it blew my mind as this was the best ice cream i had in Hyderabad.
Just back from In Orbit Mall. (Was not in a mood to work, so spent some time shopping )

Had ice cream at Cream Stone.
Willy Wonka & Nuts Overload! Just one word - "Awesome"!
It took us a good half an hour to finish off the ice cream!
Damages: INR 275 with taxes.
Old 29th May 2010, 11:10   #1683
BHPian

Went to "Little Italy" Road No.92, Banjara Hills yesterday for dinner. At 10:10 PM it was fully crowded.

Ordered the following.

Starters - "Fungi Alla Trepanese (Roasted mushrooms with garlic, lemon, parseley served with hot farmer's bread)

First Course - Masala Mafia Pasta

Second Course - Risotto ai Funghi Porcini - In plain english, brown rice with mushrooms, cream and cheese.

Total damages - 1000Rs for a couple.

I had a "eat food worth 600 and pay only 300" coupon which i used yesterday. So total amount 700 for a couple which is still expensive given that it does not include some things and also their serving size was ultra small.
Old 30th May 2010, 01:44   #1684
HPP
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Tolichowki joints, my mom will cringe just at that proposal.
Can I ask why? I'd like to pass on constructive criticism if something can be changed/improved(specifically for the "V" as I call it/The Yousuf Tekri complex where Four Seasons etc is).
Old 30th May 2010, 12:41   #1685
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwaylover View Post
Went to "Little Italy" Road No.92, Banjara Hills yesterday for dinner. At 10:10 PM it was fully crowded.

Ordered the following.

Starters - "Fungi Alla Trepanese (Roasted mushrooms with garlic, lemon, parseley served with hot farmer's bread)

First Course - Masala Mafia Pasta

Second Course - Risotto ai Funghi Porcini - In plain english, brown rice with mushrooms, cream and cheese.

Total damages - 1000Rs for a couple.

I had a "eat food worth 600 and pay only 300" coupon which i used yesterday. So total amount 700 for a couple which is still expensive given that it does not include some things and also their serving size was ultra small.
Little Italy though the taste is quite nice and authentic is rip-off in terms of portions. They serve as if there is a strike at the veggie market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPP View Post
Can I ask why? I'd like to pass on constructive criticism if something can be changed/improved(specifically for the "V" as I call it/The Yousuf Tekri complex where Four Seasons etc is).
Well, A few pointers as to why i assume my mom wouldnt like that place is because she is a pure veggie and never likes bandhi food, VFM hotels etc.

She beileves in going out fewer times in a month (2- 3 times) but, go to a place where the ambience, food quality and experience is memorable.

Hence, keeping that in mind :-

1. Ambience in Tolichowki is not exactly upmarket and is crowded and has restuarants jampacked tightly next to each other. Approach to that complex is a major downer with garbage dump overflowing.

2. It's a heaven for NV lovers and definetly hell for a pure veggie eater

3. Even if veggie food can be had, there would be a heavy NV flavour, scent, aroma all through that air which may not be easy digestable to a veg-eater
Old 30th May 2010, 19:53   #1686
BHPian

Four Seasons is one of my all time fav restaurant! The Arabic food and choice of kebabs is simply amazing. Not to forget that they serve the best biryani in town. The restaurant ambience is also good and definitely suitable for the family.

I however agree with Mobike008 that its not so much of an attraction for veg eaters and parking is definitely a concern there. Of course all this is cause of the all the way too many restaurants in the same complex.
Old 31st May 2010, 01:31   #1687
HPP
BHPian

Quote:

Well, A few pointers as to why i assume my mom wouldnt like that place is because she is a pure veggie and never likes bandhi food, VFM hotels etc.

She beileves in going out fewer times in a month (2- 3 times) but, go to a place where the ambience, food quality and experience is memorable.

Hence, keeping that in mind :-

1. Ambience in Tolichowki is not exactly upmarket and is crowded and has restuarants jampacked tightly next to each other. Approach to that complex is a major downer with garbage dump overflowing.

2. It's a heaven for NV lovers and definetly hell for a pure veggie eater

3. Even if veggie food can be had, there would be a heavy NV flavour, scent, aroma all through that air which may not be easy digestable to a veg-eater
Thanks for the honesty. As far as the NV point, I'm not sure anything can be done about that unfortunately. However I do know there is an effort being made to have that garbage dump being moved to a different location/down the road, we'll see how that goes.

I know there are other efforts being made to organize and clean up the complex grounds, hopefully this will help the overall feel of the place. I am going to forward your comments to those who are working on these issues because it's good to get outside input on issues like these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AslamHussain View Post
Four Seasons is one of my all time fav restaurant! The Arabic food and choice of kebabs is simply amazing. Not to forget that they serve the best biryani in town. The restaurant ambience is also good and definitely suitable for the family.

I however agree with Mobike008 that its not so much of an attraction for veg eaters and parking is definitely a concern there. Of course all this is cause of the all the way too many restaurants in the same complex.
I've suggested to offer "parallel parking" along the "V" sections of the inner roads, but that was veto'd because most thought most drivers are not used to parallel parking. They are moving motorcycle parking to the section closest to the road, and clearing up some of the inner triangle to try to improve parking(as well as moving the Pan Wala near the bike section as well). We'll see how that works, but hopefully it will open up some space for more car parking within the complex.

I'll pass on both of your comments, and thanks again for being open/honest.
Old 31st May 2010, 12:59   #1688
Distinguished - BHPian

Last evening went to Inorbit Mall for some TP and shopping. It was crowded like crazy and got a parking at P3 and due to lifts being overflowing took the stairs both times.
Liked a 18K watch but controlled the urge

Wanted to check out the food court but due to the maddening crowd decided against it and thought of having a quick chinese meal at the first chinese joint on our way back home.

So landed up at Shanghai Chef, Madhapur. Alo, here too it was waiting. After 20 minutes, we go out number

Ordered the following :-

Veg Popiya ( Malaysian) : Rs.110
Phuket Fish ( Thai) : Rs.170
Veg Stir Fry Veggies in Green Gravy ( Thai) served with Rice : Rs.110
Veg Garlic and Spicy Noodles : Rs.100
Soft Drinks : Rs.60
Fried Ice-Cream : Rs.90

Total : Rs. 700 (3 people). Total VFM

Veg Popiya is something similar to springrolls Malyasian style. It was nice but, i like the chinese version better.

Phuket fish was terrific, "almost" similar to what you get in Ming Court

Veggies in green gravy with rice was the highlight. It was mild, light and lovely on the stomach ( I liked it maybe because i was unwell)

Noodles were also good.

Overall, the food was quite decent and would love to go back there again only for the green gravy and rice.
Old 31st May 2010, 13:27   #1689
BHPian

Quote:
So landed up at Shanghai Chef, Madhapur.
aap hamare elake mein thai aur mein aapke

people will kill me for another review of sholay (i was there yesterday evening)

bathinda kukkad rocks... the other highlight for me was the aam panna we had .good stuff..

it was also cute to see shantanu's 5 year son (my non tbhp friend)on top of the 'paani ka tanki' screaming mausiji and basanti.lol
Old 31st May 2010, 13:35   #1690
BHPian

Been to Sholay on Friday for a family dinner. Been planning for a family dinner off late and Friday was the day we finalized. Friday, we all 10 descended on Sholay for dinner We Loved Bhatinde Da Kukkad and Bhunawa Kukkad. Loved them a lot.

We kicked off the dinner with Mutton Yakni Shorba and Paneer Tikka, Chicken Reshmi Tikka, Murgh Kaliya & Amritsari Fish. Gorged on these starters like crazy. Malai Tikka was real awesome. Loved the taste a lot.

This was followed by Bhatinde Da Kukkad, Bhunawa Kukkad, Ghost Rizala, Sarson Makki Saag, Dal Fry with Makki Di Roti's, Butter Naan's & Kulcha's

I wish I had not had Gosht Biryani (Mutton Biryani), it wasn't my type of Biryani. We all kind of had only a couple of morsels of Biryani at the max.

Except for the Biryani part, all others were WOW!!!!!

The best part was the special 20% thing
Old 31st May 2010, 13:56   #1691
BHPian

As I had to postpone my Aruku Valley Trip due to logistical issues, we thought of utlizing the saturday to dine out again.

We wanted to taste some good sea food, as in Fish & Crabs & Prawns sort. This search landed us at Fish Land, Lakdi Ka Pul. Oh! My Boy!!! It's so damn sick. We walked in to find the ambience to be similar to a Bar & Restaurant kinds. Except that the ambience at Bar's are a bit more darker with low light. This was a bit on the other side with lot of lights. But the overall feel was the same.

Well, moving further, we had out seats to order something. Wanted Apollo Fish and Golden Fried Prawns. Ordered Cream of Chicken Soup, which was to be followed by Apollo Fish and Golden Fried Prawns.

Cream of Chicken at Fish Land isin't worth speaking about too. It turned out to be the worst things we ever had. Then came the most anticipated dish APOLLO FISH & GFP's.

For the first time, i've seen Apollo Fish Gravy . What was missing was a couple of Roti's, so that we could have it as main course. The same was the case with GFP's. It was just kind of Pieces of Fish/Prawns, dipped in Corn Flour and Shallow Fried. It wasn't crisp or had that taste in it. I could smell the raw fish in Apollo Fish.

I had a word with the Manager about the fish and this guy had the guts to tell me that this is the way actual Apollo Fish is made. Man, is it for the first time that I had Apollo Fish?

The Prawns, less the told, the better it is. Prawns were none other than a couple of pieces of prawns thrown in a batter made up of finely chopped Green Chillies, Onions, Carrots, Cabbage, Beans, Turnips, Radishes and etc etc etc. I could only find vegetables and no prawns at all. That pathetic it was, I literally had to wade my way through these vegetables to search for my Golden Fried Prawns.

And to my surprise, those weren't Golden Fried Prawns, but were something like Prawns 65 sorts, with loads and loads and loads of Corn Flour on top of it, that too not fried, but the fried part was damp.

We could not take it any longer and with a long discussion with Manager regarding the food, I thought it was better to leave the place, so that atleast I can go somewhere else to eat something. It was already 10:45 and it would obviously take us long to reach any other decent place.

Customary Bill with wasted food: Rs. 715/-. Guys, this is plain loot. Avoid Fish Land, it isin't worth it.

Hungry and devestated, we wanted to eat something good and worth while. Alex Kitchen was the next place on our mind (thanks to my wifey, she suggested Alex Kitchen). We were welcomed at Alex Kitchen with 3-4 families eagerly awaiting for their turn & was given to understand that it's rather tough to get a seat here.

So, we moved on to Chang Hua (Langde Ko Looole Ka Sahaara)

Chang Hua welcomed us into the outlet, with just a small table in the corner vacant and all others full. We took our seat and waiter fished out the menu card for the order. Without even a single glance at the menu card, I ordered for our ever favourite Golden Fried Prawns, Fried Basket Noodles (Chicken). Added Chicken Fried Rice & Golden Fried Prawns as Take Away too (this wasn't for me, but for my siblings back home).

Then came the bill: 630/-

All said and done, Chang Hua was far far better than Fish Land.

Last edited by bblost : 31st May 2010 at 16:58. Reason: 2 smileys per post.
Old 31st May 2010, 16:53   #1692
Distinguished - BHPian

Arey Nikhil Bhai, bahut khaliya last weekend par. After eating a couple of snacks at Fishland, you moved to a different restuarant to complete your dinner??? Whew, That's what I call real passion for food.

Fishland use to be a favorite long long back and i forgot how many meals i had there. Eat the meal there and enjoy the masala thumbs up downstairs. That used to be a ritual.

As you mentioned, i noticed their ambience along with their quality taking a beating long back and stopped haunting this place. Moreover, their rates are star hotel rates with neither the food quality or ambience justifying the same.

Just a quick check, you compare their rates with Sholay, i am sure Sholay would be a tad cheaper...All of us seem to be Sholay obessed these days..LOL

Btw, Hope your dieting the next few days?
Old 31st May 2010, 18:31   #1693
BHPian

Quote:

Fishland use to be a favorite long long back and i forgot how many meals i had there. Eat the meal there and enjoy the masala thumbs up downstairs. That used to be a ritual.
I still remember the Masla Thumps Up and Spencers (the only place I know you can get it, back in the old days) at ladkikapul. You have now made me nostalgic. I will have to go there and try the masala spencer, if they are still serving?

Why cant we go back in time and not care about our jobs/businesses/spouses/children but only for the pocket money!!
Old 31st May 2010, 19:44   #1694
BHPian

Quote:
After eating a couple of snacks at Fishland, you moved to a different restuarant to complete your dinner??? Whew, That's what I call real passion for food.
That's the most important trait of being a foodie. If you don't like it, don't move on with it, just move ahead and change it. Moreover, how could I return back home without having a good sumptous dinner?

Quote:
enjoy the masala thumbs up downstairs. That used to be a ritual.
I still remember the Masala Thumbs Up sold at the small counter beside Mulla Fida Ali's Petrol Bunk. He used to serve till late in the nights and we all used to love it.

Quote:
Just a quick check, you compare their rates with Sholay, i am sure Sholay would be a tad cheaper...All of us seem to be Sholay obessed these days..LOL
I cannot really compare Sholay with this. It's like dishonouring Sholay (keeping in mind the 20% thing )

Quote:
Btw, Hope your dieting the next few days?
You bet. Being very very optimistic, I know its highly IMPOSSIBLE

Quote:
You have now made me nostalgic. I will have to go there and try the masala spencer, if they are still serving?
Will run a quick check and let you know, if they are still serving it there. Its been long since have seen him there serving our fav. drink
Old 31st May 2010, 23:52   #1695
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I still remember the Masla Thumps Up and Spencers (the only place I know you can get it, back in the old days) at ladkikapul. You have now made me nostalgic. I will have to go there and try the masala spencer, if they are still serving?

Why cant we go back in time and not care about our jobs/businesses/spouses/children but only for the pocket money!!
That guy is still there and very much serves the masala thumbs-up not sure about spencer as i doubt if that is available these days but used to love its taste ( forgot the flavour name....very unique and you dont find that soft drink anywhere now in hyderabad).

Another place that still serves masala thumbs-up is a couple of small outlets on your left side after you cross Shadab in Charminar. Infact, they are the originators and Lakdikapul set up their shop later on.

I used to like the original outlet but, the surroundings arent that clean these days.

Most Viewed