Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2010, 14:03   #1891
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Wasim bhai, a more detailed review would have been awesome. How much was the buffet cost per head NETT?

I have been to Santosh Dhaba at all their outlets and really like their food. but, my mom is bit averse to their food and ambience.

What i dont like about their food is its quite a bit oily and i dont like dry fruits in my food. I absolutely hate that.

So did you like it or not? Not able to make out from your review. Can you list out the starters that were served?

On the way back, we stopped to have the much talked about Kulfi wala outside DPS. Me and Wifey shared a Kesar Dry Fruit Falooda ( Rs.35).

315 Rs + 14% @ 36 barbeque with 10% discount.
The good thing about this joint is they don't charge for kids below 5. (We have 4 of them.)

@ Santosh Dhaba
Tandoori Paneer Tikka, Aalo 65 & Veg 65. My cousin knows them well, so we get the food made as per our taste.I loved the food.

Good to know that you enjoyed Bombaywala's kulfi.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 21st June 2010 at 14:08. Reason: Comments
Old 21st June 2010, 14:42   #1892
BHPian

With the fast approaching weekend, we wanted to start off the weekened early. Lunch was imminent and we finalized for Thursday. Planned to take my new team members for Lunch & landed up at Wonton (Gachibowli does not have much to offer as of now, I feel the options are limited) Moreover, been thinking of visiting Wonton for a long time & thought this could be a good time to go to Wonton. Wonton was jampacked on Thursday afternoon too, looked like I was there for Friday or Weekened Lunch.

Loved the ambience a lot. It was rush hour, but were served very very well. No much Ado's by the guys there. It was one of those good dining experiences, I would love to relish and would love to revisit them soon for sure.

Being a mixed bag of people of Veggies & Half-Non-Veggies & Pure Non-Veggies like me, I wanted to order something to satiate the hungry pangs of people and leave a mark on their taste buds. The whole thing was a customary Soup, Starters, Main Course thing.

Being of an experimenting sort, I decided to take over the reins of ordering food for everyone, except for the Soups part of the Veggies & Half-Veggies.

Ordered Lhasa Lamark for the non-veggies and Hot & Sour for the Veggies. Lhasa Lamark was worth it, liked the taste a lot, loved the ample amount of prawns & pineapples thrown into it. It was a different soup altogether & was able to satiate my hunger for variety. Hot & Sour, as usual, nothing much to write about.

As most of you are aware about my love for Prawns, prawns was one of the starter's. Its been a case of had this already, had that already and skimming through the menu card, my eyes got struck on one thing BUTTERED PRAWNS. Wanted to try this out for sure & it was humbly obliged by everyone around. Who would dare say no, especially when they know your fantasy for exotic food

Other starters that followed were Fried Chicken Wonton's & Sesame Fried Baby Corn. Need to stress much on the Sesame Fried Baby Corn, they were fab and tasted a lot better. Loved these Fried Baby Corn. Wish the batter was a bit more spicier, it would have been heaven then. Overall, the Fried Chicken Wonton's & Baby Corn were good but nothing beats the taste of Buttered Prawns. Buttered Prawns were heavenly. I would personally say, if you love prawns, then have this for sure.

Main course was American Chopshuey, Chicken Schezwan Fried Rice, Veg Schezwan Fried Rice & Veg Ball Manchurian. American Chopsuey isin't worth the mention. It wasn't that great but wasn't that bad either. It was alright sorts. Schezwan Fried Rice, both Veg & Chicken were awesome and tasted great.

Ordered 4 Fresh Lime Soda's & 1 Soft Drink to wash these down

Overall, had a great lunch at Wonton.

Total Damage: 1399/- (Total: 1,345/- + VAT 54/-). They did not charge Service Tax.

Star Attractions: Buttered Prawns
Old 21st June 2010, 15:06   #1893
Senior - BHPian

Now, thats called a detailed review Nikhil.Keep the rest coming.
Old 21st June 2010, 15:13   #1894
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
+1. Nikhil, why dont you provide consultation to Times Food Guide 2011? 2010 has already released

Considering your love for prawns especially fried, buttered and dipped in ghee types. You must check out this buffet, only you can justify the spread

""""""""Hotel Green Park presents Coastal Food Festival, where Fishes, Crabs, Prawns and coastal dishes would be served for sea
food lovers. Rs. 399/- + taxes"""""""
Old 21st June 2010, 15:44   #1895
BHPian

Quote:
Considering your love for prawns especially fried, buttered and dipped in ghee types. You must check out this buffet, only you can justify the spread

""""""""Hotel Green Park presents Coastal Food Festival, where Fishes, Crabs, Prawns and coastal dishes would be served for sea
Thanks Avi Bhai. I shall surely try it out for sure.

BTW, wait for the next reviews. You'll see that i've travelled far and wide for food this time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Thanks a lot Waseem

Quote:
+1. Nikhil, why dont you provide consultation to Times Food Guide 2011? 2010 has already released
Not without you Avi Bhai. We both can and will make a difference to the Times Food Guide 2011

I wish I get to speak to that guy on NDTV Foodie Show, Kunal. When he was here the last time, he just tasted Biryani at Paradise and said, what's so special about Hyderabadi Food, NOTHING. I really want him to meet the REAL FOODIES and not those Know Nothing types. I want to take him around the city for a quick taste session of the best dishes of Hyderabad.
Old 21st June 2010, 16:34   #1896
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008;1946591
[B
""""""""Hotel Green Park presents Coastal Food Festival, where Fishes, Crabs, Prawns and coastal dishes would be served for sea [/b]
We had dinner at Green Park a couple of weeks ago and were a wee bit disappointed with both the ambience and the food. The whole place was filled with people and sounded like a railway platform. Even the food was nothing to write home about. This was a radical departure from our prior visits to that place, when both the food and ambience was awesome.

We later felt we should have gone to Terrace Bay where we'd have got more bang for the buck.

Anyways, hope this Coastal Festival turns out to be good for you guys.
As for me, I'm visiting Sholay today to celebrate my son's b'day. BTW, what is the magic word for a whopping discount?
Old 21st June 2010, 16:38   #1897
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
BTW, what is the magic word for a whopping discount?
Just tell the waiter you are from TBHP and expect a 20% discount "before" you place your order.

Enjoy your meal
Old 21st June 2010, 16:50   #1898
Senior - BHPian

[quote=mobike008;1946361
Btw, I can never forget that lane as ICICI Kharkana was designed by my ex-girlfriend?[/quote]

That makes her the designer girl friend Avi !!!!!!!!!
Old 21st June 2010, 17:22   #1899
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
On a different note, staying at Westin is something else. They have imported the US culture lock stock and barrel right here and expect you to abide by the same as well! Those who have stayed here will know what I mean. Its pretty galling. They are in India but they expect you to play it by their rules. To give an example, they expect you to use paper you know where. And you can NOT have it any other way. They frown upon other dirty practices and will play cat and mouse with you if you try otherwise.

Go to Maayabazaar without any expectations and you will like the place. They do not have any pretensions and they have also priced themselves accordingly. And that is why they come up nicely. Nothing "Starry" about the food but just good tastes at reasonable prices.
Couldnt agree with you more on this,this is my review on tripadvisor for Westin Pune,its a hillarious place to stay!!! Indian families with an infant/child-its a nightmare staying here.

The Westin Pune Koregaon Park - Reviews, Photos - Good Addition to Pune,but the creases have to be ironed out soon - TripAdvisor

On another note,where exactly is this Mayabazaar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
We had dinner at Green Park a couple of weeks ago and were a wee bit disappointed with both the ambience and the food. The whole place was filled with people and sounded like a railway platform. Even the food was nothing to write home about. This was a radical departure from our prior visits to that place, when both the food and ambience was awesome.
True about the green park bit,the place has progressively gone down in quality and cleanliness
Old 21st June 2010, 17:37   #1900
BHPian

Thursday Lunch > Thursday Dinner > Friday Lunch > Friday Dinner > Saturday Lunch > Saturday Supper > Saturday Dinner > Sunday Breakfast > Sunday Lunch > Sunday Dinner*
My food binge for the last weekend.

Thursday Night, I blessed Amantran with my gracious presence. It was a dinner outing with a couple of my ol' pals from Deloitte. It was a meeting in disguise. It was a clean meet, where we came out real neat and clean post dinner, however we were all stuffed up till the brim.

It was a whole some Mughlai treat at Amantran. Shorbas to Kebabs to Kofta's, it was all there.

The dinner binge started off with Nalli Nihari Shorba. It was worth it, it reminded me of the good old Nihari Shorba we used to have at Azizia Hotel during my childhood days. The pieces of mutton thrown in with the Shorba were real tender and great to taste. The Shorba was good to taste and really tantalized the taste buds, making them BEG for more.

Pahadi Kebab Roll had a distinctive taste to it and were real different from the regular Kebab's. The masala/topping had a distinctive flavour to it. The taste was heavenly and different. Worth the try.

Tandoori Jhinga, had a great Tandoori Jhinga after Sohail at Amantran. Prawns were well cooked and tasted same like tender coconut. The tandoori Prawns were worth the try. Did not like Murg Alishan Kebab that much.

It wasn't cooked well or I basically did not like it, as it was trying to compete with Tandoori Prawns.It was trying to bribe my taste buds with some juices, my taste bugs being very loyal to Prawns evaded Alishan Kebab's advancements and took sides with my ever favourite prawns.

The Starters were abundant and we sure enough to fill a hungry tummy. The main course was ordered to be different, but it again turned out to be HEAVY

Deewani Handi, reminded me of my grand mother's days. Even though, this handi wasn't that deewani, but what my grand mother used to cook was deewani to the extremes. The original recipie,my grand mother taught my mother had roughly about 32 different types of Vegetables/Leafy Vegetables in it, some of those were very very seasonal ones. This had the everyday vegetables tossed in and cooked. But was good overall. Loved the smell of freshly ground black pepper and coriander strewn on top of the curry.

Kadhai Mushrooms were ordered just in order to satisfy my urge for a meat like dish, which shouldn't be meat but should have the same kind of feeling. Paneer could have been an option, but am totally bogged down by paneer these days. Panner's been a staple dish in every household offlate. So, Mushroom's were called in to satisfy the urge for some meat like dish, which wasn't meat.

Dal Tadka Wala, Butter Naan and Zeera Rice are less spoken the better, 'cos they taste mostly the same all around the world. So, I'll better avoid writing about these.

Total Damage: 1300/-

Star Attraction: Pahadi Kebab Roll, Tandoori Jhinga
Old 21st June 2010, 17:40   #1901
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
True about the green park bit,the place has progressively gone down in quality and cleanliness
I second your comments, Green park is not the same any more.The quality has deteriorated in the last couple of years.
Old 21st June 2010, 17:46   #1902
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Thursday Lunch > Thursday Dinner > Friday Lunch > Friday Dinner > Saturday Lunch > Saturday Supper > Saturday Dinner > Sunday Breakfast > Sunday Lunch > Sunday Dinner*
Wonderful review Nikhil.Only 8 more left.
Old 21st June 2010, 17:57   #1903
BHPian

Quote:
""""""""Hotel Green Park presents Coastal Food Festival, where Fishes, Crabs, Prawns and coastal dishes would be served for sea food lovers. Rs. 399/- + taxes"""""""
My friend has a card which entitles all diners on my friend's table to a clean 100 % discount at any outlet in Hotel Green Park ... and even that could not convince me to visit it last night for dinner.

Preferred home delivery from "Hub" at Punjaugutta.
Old 21st June 2010, 18:51   #1904
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
My friend has a card which entitles all diners on my friend's table to a clean 100 % discount at any outlet in Hotel Green Park ... and even that could not convince me to visit it last night for dinner.

Preferred home delivery from "Hub" at Punjaugutta.
Hub used to be our favourite home delivery hotel for many years, apart from visiting it for quick, decent food.However, when we visited them twice last year, we found the place almost empty, and on the first occasion we had got bad food.

If you say Hub is back to its glory, then we shall resume our orders there.
Old 21st June 2010, 21:11   #1905
BHPian

Harrowing Moksh'd Experience

Friday Lunch was sponsored by one of my colleagues at our Begumpet Office & they wanted me there for sure. The team luncheon's are always exciting and make the moments a lot memorable. This moment would be treasured for sure, not for the good of it, but for the worse of it for sure.

With the Ultimate Food Guide away from Begumpet Office & placed at Gachibowli Office, there was a sudden decline in the quality of eating joints being decided offlate

One of the greatest decisions, they've taken without my consent was going to Moksh. The less said the better in the prologue, I would directly dive in to the Moksh'd Experience.

My friend called up Moksh to book table for 12 of us, as we were in no mood to take chances. The Moksh guys were kind of Sir, its booked for 1:00, please make sure that you reach here by the time as we are reserving the table for you. We can only hold this table till 1:15. My buddies were like, Oh! This place should be overcrowded and we should make it before time to hold on to our tables. We land at Moksh at 1:00 on dot.

Lo! Behold!, not even a single person in sight except for the Maitre'd & the Waiters. It took us flat 1.34 seconds to count the Veg & Non-Veg guys for the buffet.

So, here starts our Harrowing Moksh'd Experience.

Soups served on the Table. The Non-Veg soup turns out to be Hot & Sour Soup and the Veggies get Veg. Clear Soup. The Non-Veg soup was nothing short of being called Boiled Water with Loads of Pepper thrown in to it. Veg Clear Soup was so clear, that it did not have salt in it. I believe they were following the ideologies of famous chef's: "Add Salt to Taste". The max my friend could get at having the soup was 2.5 spoon fulls of it. Others could not even dare to reach the 2 mark.

The Starters were served or rather thrown in a platter and placed on the table to be served by oneself. Schezwan Chicken wasn't that bad at all, the only disgust was, it had less of chicken in it and more of bones. So I would love calling it Deep Fried Schezwan Chicken Bones. I would not love disgracing Moksh guys a lot by writing something about the About Stale Veg Cutlet or Not so worth the taste Veg Manchurian.

The spread looked vast spread but tasted the worst. This was the first time, i've been to Moksh for Buffet, à-la-carte has always been worth while.

The non-veg main course had Chicken Biryani, Mutton Some Curry, and etc. The rice used looked inferior and there were no good pieces in it. The Biryani wasn't the Hyderabadi Biryani but was more of like the Biryani you get at Ameerpet or Kukkatpally. The sort, where the pieces are small and generally stick together onto the piece and etc. It was that sorts. The Mutton Gravy did not have enough pieces to serve 2 people too.

I strolled away from these counters and wanted to have some good veg food, as its been long since i've had veg food off late. Tried out Veg Noodles as Veg Fried Rice, Veg Biryani, Curd Rice and etc did not not entice me.

The only saving grace I felt was Veg in Almond Sauce, wish it was served a bit warm atleast. So, I helped my self with a helping of Veg Noodles with Veg in Almond Sauce. The Moksh'd experience was getting onto my nerves and I coould not handle it any longer. I disposed off the left over's in my plate and moved over to have some desserts.

Kaddu Ki Kheer was rechristened as Kaddu Halwa. The same liquified form of Kaddu Ki Kheer but with a new name. I moved on to other deserts as have had the best of the best Kaddu Ki Kheers a zillion times and did not really wish to spoil that taste, which still lingers around.

Coconut Barfi wasn't fresh either. I would rather love having the Coconut Barfi on the Coconut Bandi's that stand near the schools selling those Orange Colored Barfi's rather than having it here at Moksh. It wasn't bad at all, it was PATHETIC.

Fresh Cut Fruits had loads of Pineapples, Pappaya's, Watermelons and Grapes. The other exotic fruits like Kiwi, Chikoo and etc were missing. Took a couple of fruits and loaded my plate with Fruit Salad, which looked good and tasted great too. Done with the first serving, I go back for a quick refil of the fruits and fruit salad & KAPUT!!! The whole bowl is empty and no one around.

I run around and get the Maitre'd to set things straight and ask his army of Mokshers to replace the empty bowl with a nice filled till the brim one. It took him 10 mins to get a new bowl and this time, the taste graph went from WOW!!! to YUCK!!!. No Consistency at all.

I always thought, 70MM was the winner in Being the Most Inconsistent Restuarant in terms of Taste. However, Moksh stole away the away and is basking in glory of Being the Most Inconsistent Restuarant in terms of Taste.

I was dying to get out of the place, thanking people there for giving me hell of a time and a harrowing dining experience.

Never am I ever stepping back in Moskh for years to come.

The dent for not so good food, no idea, the bill was footed by my friend

Last edited by traveloholic : 21st June 2010 at 21:13.

Most Viewed