Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2010, 14:21   #2176
BHPian

Try biryani @ Hotel Grand - Abids Circle

Kababs @ barbaque nation - Rd No 1 banjar hills or go on a long drive to any of the Dhabas at the outskirts

Haleem anywhere and everywhere cause its the flavour of the month.
Old 20th August 2010, 15:42   #2177
Team-BHP Support

Camel meat in Hyderabad.
I am not sure about the rates since I did not ask.
It is however subject to availability. You should be able to get it on Fridays during Ramzan in First Lancer (Masab Tank), Mallepalli cross roads.

Its a slightly salty meat.
Old 20th August 2010, 16:07   #2178
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by paharino1 View Post
btw...any other special dishes to try out during Ramzaan apart from Haleem...
Nihari etc ? & any recommendations on where ?
Patthar ka Ghosth. One of the tastiest/juciest meat that you can ever try. Best places to enjoy is Bade Miyan Kebab in Somajiguda

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCzar View Post
Can you let me know when was the last time you had Biryani in Hotel Grand at Abids Circle? I am keen to know this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Camel meat in Hyderabad.
I am not sure about the rates since I did not ask.
It is however subject to availability. You should be able to get it on Fridays during Ramzan in First Lancer (Masab Tank), Mallepalli cross roads.

Its a slightly salty meat.
During this season these poor animals are brought from Rajasthan and slaughtered here.
Old 20th August 2010, 19:35   #2179
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Nikhil for that informative piece on haleem Vs. harees Vs. khichada.

Yeah, I remember the khichada made of broken wheat, bajra & mutton with great fondness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCzar View Post

Kababs @ barbaque nation - Rd No 1 banjar hills or go on a long drive to any of the Dhabas at the outskirts

Haleem anywhere and everywhere cause its the flavour of the month.
Now we are not eating haleem to just fill our bellies, the quest is to find the best haleem possible. While there are outlets at every corner, it is not quite worth eating at most of them.

On Friday, someone brought haleem from Sarvi/Pakvaan and a few of us dug in. A certain Mr. Venkat had a bit and wondered aloud what the big fuss was all about. On Sunday Pulsar, Venkat & I drove to Shahdaab and Venkat very reluctantly joined us in ordering for Haleem. One reluctant spoonful later - he whalloped the whole thing and . . . . . ordered for another haleem! That sir, is the true mark of a good haleem.

That night @ Shahdaab, we had haleem (very good, as good as it was last year), roti & rana mutton. The rana mutton is excellent. For dessert, we stepped outside and picked up phirni, keshar-phirni & kaddu ka kheer from the little stall put up by the Royal Sweet House guys.

So far, I have had haleem from Sarvi (Mehdipatnam) - fair to good. Pakvaan (Sec'bad) - middling. Nizam's Kitchen (Kondapur to Miyapur Rd) - much better than it looks, good actually. Shahdaab - excellent.

Now to try Hy-line (King-Kothi) & Pista House (Charminar).

Re. Sholay - I liked their mutton dish - was it Ragda Mutton or Rara Mutton?

HRH-RR has recommended the Sushi @ Westin and proposed a lunch, must say I am sorely tempted. Maybe next week.

Cheers,
Old 23rd August 2010, 09:30   #2180
BHPian

Chilly prawns -R.I.P :(

Yesterday evening Shantanu,Vikrant ,smriti (Active Non T-Bhp folks) and me headed to club 8/haveli @ kondapur as we were missing the chilly prawns.

Big disappointment for the 1st time -prawns were not fresh ,very smelly and tasted real bad.

We called the captain to taste it and he was highly embarassed himself.

Maybe its due to the rains.

On the plus side ,do try the chicken saghwala ,very nice..

All this was clubbed with watching prabhas,ileana ,trisha and anushka keeping us entertained with some real crazy dance moves on gemini music..
Old 23rd August 2010, 13:46   #2181
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
Big disappointment for the 1st time -prawns were not fresh ,very smelly and tasted real bad.
That is surprising. It could be due to current weather. Let's give them a try again after the rains are over. I am sure they will bounce back with their awesome chilly prawns again
Old 23rd August 2010, 14:33   #2182
Senior - BHPian

I had been to Shah Ghouse @ Shah-Ali-Banda on saturday evening and ordered the following. (Silverwood +2)

4 Haleem. (I found this to be the best of this season,meaty affair i can say.Very few bones, Yummy) Rs 280
1 Special mutton biriyani (Great taste and great quantity to give you an heart attack.Meat was very tender and a true blend of meat and rice with all those traditional spices.) Rs 120

Total Damages:400

I had been to Bombay Restaurent @ Rani gunj on Sunday evening (Silverwood + 2) and ordered the following.

4 Haleem- It was great.As good as Shah Ghouse and the quantity was also good.

Nikhil Bhai- Worth trying.

Total Damages:Rs 280.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 23rd August 2010 at 14:34. Reason: Edit
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:44   #2183
BHPian

Friday to Sunday was a great time I've had, especially on the Haleem front. It was raining Haleem's all the time.

Friday Night Haleem @ Shah Ghouse, Toli Chowki
Enroute home, took a decission to stop over at Shah Ghouse, Toli Chowki for their Haleem. Been to Shah Ghouse, Shah Ali Bandi numberous times, but wanted to try their Haleem at Toli Chowki. The texture, taste and everything was same as the one served at Shah Ali Bandi.
Rating: 4/5

Saturday Late Evening Haleem @ Shahdab Hotel
As usual, late evenings haleem's are always Take Away's for devouring them at home. People at home wanted to have haleem and Shahbad's the only place it take it from. The main reason being, I would not have to jostle around with the traffic at Shahdab as compared to going till Shah Ghouse to buy it. I can always take the alternate routes, but the time spent isin't worth it as by the time I reach there and buy it and return back, the Haleem isin't that hot & I personally feel, heating it in a microwave removes that special flavour out of it.
Rating: 4.5/5

Saturday Late Night Haleem & Chicken Biryani @ Deccan Paradise
Been to Deccan Paradise for a bowl of Haleem. Heard a lot about it and wanted to try it out. Enjoyed the Haleem a lot. It was thick in texture and consistent. Being the first timer, DP ensured that each Haleem was laced with a ample amount of helping of Pure Ghee to add to the taste. Also tried their Chicken Biryani, the Biryani wasn't that great. The masala was more on the sweeter side. Overall, enjoyed the Haleem.
Rating: 4/5

Sunday Evening Haleem @ Sohail Hotel & Shahbad Hotel
Sunday evening, ventured out to have a quick bite of Haleem and landed up at Sohail Hotel. The Haleem was amazing. The Haleem was thick and great to taste. Enjoyed the Haleem at Sohail Hotel. This was followed by Haleem at Shahbad, a quick bite at Shahbad and it was done for the day
Rating: 3.5/5 (Sohail Hotel)

OT: A friend of mine got a couple of plates of Haleem from Sarvi, Banjara Hills. It seems that the haleem had a darker shade & was smelling real bad. It had a pungent smell. He doubts that it was laced with Beef and was not a PURE MUTTON HALEEM . Can someone confirm if it is so? I haven't yet had Haleem at Sarvi this year as am quite held up these guys from Old City.

Last edited by traveloholic : 23rd August 2010 at 17:03.
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:52   #2184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Sunday Evening Haleem @ Sohail Hotel & Shahbad Hotel
Sunday evening, ventured out to have a quick bite of Haleem and landed up at Sohail Hotel. The Haleem was amazing. The Haleem was thick and great to taste. Enjoyed the Haleem at Sohail Hotel. This was followed by Haleem at Shahdab, a quick bite at Shahbad and it was done for the day
Rating: 3.5/5 (Sohail Hotel)
Man traveloholic, I wanted to ask this question since long time. Which one is correct? Shahbad Hotel or Shahdab Hotel? Or they both are different hotels? I could see those two names being used in your posts interchangeably . . .
Old 23rd August 2010, 16:59   #2185
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
Man traveloholic, I wanted to ask this question since long time. Which one is correct? Shahbad Hotel or Shahdab Hotel? Or they both are different hotels? I could see those two names being used in your posts interchangeably . . .
Many of us make a typo. The correct name is : Shaadhab
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:12   #2186
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
OT: A friend of mine got a couple of plates of Haleem from Sarvi, Banjara Hills. It seems that the haleem had a darker shade & was smelling real bad. It had a pungent smell. He doubts that it was laced with Beef and was not a PURE MUTTON HALEEM . Can someone confirm if it is so? I haven't yet had Haleem at Sarvi this year as am quite held up these guys from Old City.

There is no difference in color or smell between beef and mutton haleem.
In fact the only way to figure out if its mutton or beef is the presence of bones. Beef is almost always sold boneless.

I doubt Sarvi will give false advertising. They advertise it as Goat and I am pretty sure it is. But would love to know if I am wrong. No point paying Rs 70 for beef haleem.

Bad smell and darker shade seems to be rotten haleem. Did you friend buy it and leave it unattended for a long period of time. Giving the weather conditions, Meat can go bad in as little as 3 hours. Especially if it gets in contact with dirty fingers and is stored in unhygienic conditions.
Old 23rd August 2010, 17:14   #2187
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitesquall View Post
My mistake. It's actually Shadab and not Shabad. It's just that these two words are so close to each other that the fingers magically move towards BAD when ever I try typing DAB. Aadat se majboor, you know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Many of us make a typo. The correct name is : Shaadhab
Avi Bhai, it's actually Shadab. Just checked the visiting card of the owner.

OT: Anyways, it's a proper noun & even if we add an extra H, it would neither elevate nor relegate the taste of Haleem or Food There
Old 24th August 2010, 09:22   #2188
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravveendrra View Post
da Mutton or Rara Mutton?

HRH-RR has recommended the Sushi @ Westin and proposed a lunch, must say I am sorely tempted. Maybe next week.

Cheers,
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1960434

The sushi with caviar was quite nice.

Do ask about corporate discount. Especially if accompanied with anyone working in any of the companies around Hi Tech city.

We were offered Rs 699 per plate with 14.5% tax extra as a special rate.
Old 24th August 2010, 12:12   #2189
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post1960434

The sushi with caviar was quite nice.

Do ask about corporate discount. Especially if accompanied with anyone working in any of the companies around Hi Tech city.

We were offered Rs 699 per plate with 14.5% tax extra as a special rate.
800 bucks for lunch and that too so you can "enjoy" raw fish

I wont dip into my wallet for such a lunch.

That equation changes if my company is treating
Old 24th August 2010, 12:30   #2190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
South Indian

"Chutneys" is undoubtedly one of the best when it comes to south indian dishes, I would rate "Minerva" as second best in this category. Both are slightly expensive by hyderabad standards. To give an example. A dosa would cost upwards of Rs.75 and Idli's are priced around Rs.45.

Rating 2.5/5
I just chanced upon this thread. A vegetarian's perspective below -

Chutney's etc. are hugely over-rated. If you want *real* Andhra food that isn't home-cooked try one of the messes. My personal favourites are Siddhartha mess in Nallakunta near Shankarmutt and Sree Harsha Deluxe mess in Ameerpet opposite Maithrivanam.

Abhiruchi on SD Road near Book Selection Centre also has good Andhra food.

Regards,
spadix

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks