Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 14th September 2010, 15:51   #2371
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPP View Post
^^This eating at home subject got me thinking. At home, is it most likely "home cooked food" by a wife/mother, or by a "cook"? Just curious. Living in the US, home cooked is wife/mom, but when I think of the luxuries of India, one of those luxuries is the possibility of having a cook of some sort. Just curious how common it is in general.
Home food is home food only when it is cooked by Mom / Wife / Sister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Home Made Food is generally made by either Wife/Mother. Cooks do not make good food, that personal touch seems to be missing when Cooks make it. I would prefer food cooked by my family members, rather than the cook. Moreover, being a joint family, we have 3 people to cook food for us, so its VARIETY all over
I nearly thought you said Mom and Wife but careful reading reveals that there is a 3rd person who cooks ... BTW, for those who may not be aware, Traveloholic is a reknowned CHEF whose hobby is cooking apart from photography and being on Team-BHP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
We have a cook at home for nearly 2 years now. Some dishes, she makes fantastic with almost zero supervision but, to get same taste as your mom/wifey cooks, either of them have to be hovering around her with handful of tips/advices.
Maa ke haathon ki baat hi kuch aur hoti hai ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Lucky you! I've been searching in vain for a cook. Got any suggestions? How much is the normal payment per month?
We had a cook from Country Club who used to come at 10am and leave at 11:30am for 1500 per month (Tuesdays off). The purchase bill shot by up by more than double since he needed desi ghee, tomato sauce, soya sauce and so many things we never use. He made good food and was excellent in chinese. Removed him because his cooking became monotonous .... so back to Mom's cooking.

Quote:
Thanks for the pointers, guys! Do let me know if they have relatives or fellow-cooks who would like to work in Somajiguda.
Thanks.
Last month a cook from Katriya came over for interview. He said he will work only in the mornings (8am to 10am) and will serve breakfast and ready the lunch and dinner as per requirement. He demanded 1500. On his being quizzed what he cooks at Katriya, pat came the answer, "tandoori roti". So he got the boot. Venu Sir, you are closer to Katriya than me, just float enquires near their employee gate.
Old 14th September 2010, 18:32   #2372
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I nearly thought you said Mom and Wife but careful reading reveals that there is a 3rd person who cooks ... BTW, for those who may not be aware, Traveloholic is a reknowned CHEF whose hobby is cooking apart from photography and being on Team-BHP.
Traveloholic's a celebrity cook at home Bajaj Saab.

I seldom cook and when ever I do, it's HAVOC in the Kitchen always. Post my Cooking session, our Kitchen resembles a house, which has been devestated by a Cyclone. So, I am always asked to stay atleast 200 mts away from Kitchen. I always pounce upon the chance to capture the Kitchen & ensure that I cook those exotic dishes, which I feel are amazning to taste

BTW, the Third Person who cooks is my Aunt, Chachi. So it makes us 4 people, who cook. 3 Ok-Ok Sort of Cooks & 1 Expert Cook (me)
Old 14th September 2010, 19:39   #2373
Senior - BHPian

Yippee, we've crossed the 100000 views milestone! Time to celebrate, folks?

BTW, thx for the pointer, Bajaj saheb.
Old 14th September 2010, 19:48   #2374
BHPian

Congrats Everyone!!! All the foodies of Hyderabad unite to celebrate this magnanimous occassion
Old 15th September 2010, 09:41   #2375
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1 Venu sir. We should indeed celebrate.

Quote:
Congrats Everyone!!! All the foodies of Hyderabad unite to celebrate this magnanimous occassion
Nikhil Bhai- Lets meet tonight.

Friends, Can we have a dinner meet today.?

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 15th September 2010 at 09:44. Reason: edit
Old 15th September 2010, 09:57   #2376
HPP
BHPian

^^Somebody have some chicken 65 with naan for me.

Proud to be a HYD foodie.
Old 15th September 2010, 11:10   #2377
Team-BHP Support

2 Jowar Roti with Daal and Sabzi at 24 lettered mantra, Road #12 Banjara Hills. Rs 52 for takeaway.

The Sabzi changes everyday. It was bottle gourd yesterday. I avoid veg food outside as I am allergic to something they add in the masala. But this being 24 lettered, I decided to try it. The daal and sabzi were very good. No extra garam masala or anything. I felt fine and no allergic reaction whatsoever.

The Jowar rotis were very very soft and cooked to perfection.

btw this is the only thing in the menu.
They do have some salads and stuff, but it was not being served yesterday.

They stock some decent breads and cakes. The brownies are also quite good.

And this is the only store I have found that stocks Red Poha. Of course you need to buy it and prepare it at home. I recommend you try this sometime. Its an excellent alternative to the common white poha.
Old 15th September 2010, 11:13   #2378
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
2 Jowar Roti with Daal and Sabzi at 24 lettered mantra, Road #12 Banjara Hills. Rs 52 for takeaway.
Sounds good.Please help with a landmark.

Is it a take away types.?

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 15th September 2010 at 11:14. Reason: Edit
Old 15th September 2010, 11:22   #2379
Team-BHP Support

Its actually a store/ supermarket kinds.
Its opposite the Audi Showroom.

24 Letter Mantra - India's largest organic food brand
Note: The website threw a malware warning on my browser.

They sell organic grains, cereals and pulses.
Some of the stuff is exorbitantly priced. If I remember correctly Organic Brown Basmati rice was a 150+ a kilo.

I buy the Red poha I mentioned earlier. This is the only kind of poha I like. Priced at around 50 for half a kilo.

They also used to have healthy bhel, Made using boiled corn. I like the fact that the food here is very mildly spiced and I am a fan of subtle spices.
Old 15th September 2010, 11:25   #2380
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Sounds good.Please help with a landmark.
Is it a take away types.?
It's on Road #12 Waseem Bhai, a bit ahead of Ohri's Banjara Hills. If you are driving from Masab Tank towards Road No. 12, Ohri's falls on your right. Drive a bit further, it would be on your left.
Old 15th September 2010, 11:36   #2381
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

BTW, thx for the pointer, Bajaj saheb.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
+1 Venu sir. We should indeed celebrate.
Congratulations to all on this momentous occasion

P.S: Who is treating me to a nice dinner for starting this thread?
Old 15th September 2010, 11:51   #2382
BHPian

A few of our Hydies aren't available right now, so lets plan for a Mega Foodie Meet the next week, to celebrate this occassion.
Old 15th September 2010, 15:39   #2383
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A few of our Hydies aren't available right now, so lets plan for a Mega Foodie Meet the next week, to celebrate this occassion.
Congrats all Hydeez Foodies! Without you all this wouldn't have been possible and the food thread would have had similar fate as other city food threads.

I'm writing this post sitting on a boat traversing the various canals of sundarbans hoping to see wild life and getting drenched in Monsoon Rain. Solace will freshly caught fish fry .
OT: if any body interested to track my whereabouts, can do do my adding me on their Google Latitude.

Cheers
Old 16th September 2010, 02:32   #2384
BHPian

Thought i would find this here : Parivaar, a family resturant near Radhika Theatre, Ecil, just oppsoite McDonald's. Recently re-furnished the place and its bigger now. The only reason i visit is for their Mutton Biryani, its the best i've come across till now. Hot and Tasty. The taste is completely different from the Biryani league . Rs225 including tax i think.
Old 16th September 2010, 11:27   #2385
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosfreak View Post
Thought i would find this here : Parivaar, a family resturant near Radhika Theatre, Ecil, just oppsoite McDonald's. Recently re-furnished the place and its bigger now. The only reason i visit is for their Mutton Biryani, its the best i've come across till now. Hot and Tasty. The taste is completely different from the Biryani league . Rs225 including tax i think.
I attended a function there last year and the food (vegetarian) was so so. Perhaps they've improved now.

Most Viewed