Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2011, 17:37   #3166
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I think you have confused this one with Meghna Spices. Sree Kanya next to Anjappar is a very recent opened outlet, may be at max an year old!
As confirmed by below foodies from Hyd. They opened long back as I too remember vividly as went there once with my then recently bought Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by aadix View Post
Sreekanya is at that same location from more than 5 years.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Sree Kanya @ P'gutta has been around for some times now, easily 4 years, if not more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoringlover View Post
Just tried nautanki gali in cyber pearl hitech city,
My lone experience was bad. You need to stand in long, serpentine queues as if they offering free food. Besides, they thrive on quantity over quality.
Old 16th May 2011, 18:27   #3167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

For Andhra Biryani, I am sold out on The Clay Pot. Yummy!
Where is Claypot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
My lone experience was bad. You need to stand in long, serpentine queues as if they offering free food. Besides, they thrive on quantity over quality.
Isnt that synonymous with Ohris wherever they open?I will never ever forget my fresh lime soda served in a paper disposable glass at that Ohris 70mm!!Eeeeks.Nautanki Galli I am not sure if it has changed,but otherwise,the rush is hunongous and people are all over the place with food dropping all over the place and they have such lousy restaurant managers and staff.Pickles is their only saving grace I guess!

By the way guys,Mcdonalds have embarked on yet another money making spree.They have begun to charge 1Rs on all takeaways in the name of carry bag.How absurd can that be?Even the local kirana guy gives you the bag free.Last night I told them I dont want the bag so dont charge me for it,for a minute he was shocked as he did not know how to bill it without the bag,then when he understood that it could turn out to be a problem,he immediately did it minus the 1rs billing,and guess what,the burgers came packed in a carry bag,I politely told them i havent paid for it so they can keep it.Talk about multinational ways of making money!What I hated about it is that it is not an option to pay for the bag or to take the bag,they just go ahead and bill it assuming that everybody wants the bag and is ready to pay for it.I realised it because the previous time I was charged for it,so I got wiser the second time.I just do not feel like paying that 1Rs to these guys and it is not that the 1Rs they collect is going towards some kind of a cause,it is just to fill their coffers

Another update,cakes in Vacs have jumped prices like mad.Black Forest a kg is at INR 450 now.A couple of months back it was INR 300-350!

Another update,olives,cheese,capsicum,jalapenos have all become optionals in Subway!Which means if you dont tell them to put it,they will just the bread with lettuce,onions,tomatoes,pickles and give it to you,and the counter staff dont even ask you what would you like etc.So for a first timer to Subway,be sure that he/she is doomed,he would just walk away with a tomato & onion sub!!Ofcourse the asking part is more of an outlet problem,the one on SP road was good once upon a time and now it is the pits.The one in Banjara Hills next to Roll Call is their best outlet,they are ever so generous with their helpings the guy behind the counter is never irritated.!
Old 16th May 2011, 19:56   #3168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
+1

And it was VFM during the opening week courtesy of the discount. Not anymore.

We went there in a large group some Friday and it was quite a task getting what you want to eat. So we ended up just sitting there for 20 mins to beat the rush. When most of the crowd moved to the desserts, we started our main course etc.

Regards,
spadix
Old 16th May 2011, 20:08   #3169
BHPian

Four of us went for a dinner buffet at Tandoor, Begumpet on saturday night. It was surprisingly vacant for a saturday night. After we sat down did we realize why. They don't serve alcohol anymore since the past few months.

We had a choice of ala-carte or unlimited buffet. We chose the buffet which would be served on our table. The snacks were not well cooked, the roti/nans were served cold (until we asked for replacements), the non-veg curries were not very savoury and the biryani was too spicy. Some of the items like bhindi ( in bhindi masala), capsicum (in mixed veg) and some "khada-masala" in the biryani tasted a little bitter! And the service was surprisingly slow and lax even though only 4-5 tables were occupied in the whole restaurant. We had to tell the server to refill our glasses of water 2-3 times before it was filled.

All-in-all a disappointing dinner experience and totally not worth the Rs.400 + 10% Service Charge + 14% vat that was charged.

Last edited by Neilguy : 16th May 2011 at 20:11.
Old 16th May 2011, 20:56   #3170
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilguy View Post
And the service was surprisingly slow and lax even though only 4-5 tables were occupied in the whole restaurant.
I don't know if this is the case with this place but there are a few where waiters are trained to operate at peak efficiency only when there's a heavy rush. The many Nandini (Andhra meals mainly + some multicuisne) outlets in Bengaluru are like that. When the restaurant is bursting at the seams with people, the food is served piping hot and you get the bill and fingerbowl before you even properly dig into your first morsel of ghee-laced pappu annam (daal chaaval). Go at around 1:30 pm, for instance, and the waiters are already roaming around listlessly like zombies and the food is dreary and cold.

Regards,
spadix
Old 17th May 2011, 02:56   #3171
Senior - BHPian

Guys whats your take on the Best Biryani Takeaway in the City ?

I was travelling from Mehdipatnam to Midhani the other day in the Evening so after real long time decided to stop and order a Double Masala Chicken Biryani Takeaway at Bawarchi RTC X Roads and was disappointed to have noticed that the taste has surely dwindled by Multiple folds ! The Aroma emitting from the Takeaway while we were driving was surely tantalizing enough but was quite disappointed with the taste eventually, Even the Mirchi ka salan they packed didn't taste good, The some what tender chicken pieces were the only saving grace. Still remember those times when we used to have Biryani at Bawarchi at Lunch Time during Intermediate Days, The taste certainly was a lot more different and better before.

The same day I was at Beenz Coffee Shop, Jubilee Hills with a couple of old friends in the afternoon, I Quite liked the Sandwiches they served there and ambience was pretty good too ! The place was loaded with Exotic Cars !

Anyways Since I was living out of town all these days I am completely out of touch with the food scene in the City so want you guys to suggest some Good new Joints that have come up recently. Going to start of with Syn Asian Grill & Bar at Taj Deccan this week, suppose to be a friends birthday treat.

Last edited by ShortShifter : 17th May 2011 at 02:58.
Old 17th May 2011, 07:58   #3172
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Where is Claypot?
The Clay Pot is listed here : http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...ml#post2285163

It is a home delivery option and not a restaurant but I am sure you can always sweet talk the guy into converting your order into a take away option. Ideal time for placing the order is around 5:30pm with delivery time of around 8:30pm. By the way, he is located at Srinagar Colony.

Quote:
Four of us went for a dinner buffet at Tandoor, Begumpet on saturday night.
All-in-all a disappointing dinner experience and totally not worth the Rs.400 + 10% Service Charge + 14% vat that was charged.
A month or so back, I had posted my desire of visiting Tandoor for a sit down lunch buffet. Nikhil was extremely vocal about the venue and literally ordered me not to go. I was lucky as I did not go since I always listen to Nikhil.

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 17th May 2011 at 07:59.
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2011, 10:40   #3173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Isnt that synonymous with Ohris wherever they open?
I'm no fan of Ohri's either but Tansen is still good.

Quote:
Nautanki Galli I am not sure if it has changed,but otherwise,the rush is hunongous and people are all over the place with food dropping all over the place and they have such lousy restaurant managers and staff.
It's not changed one bit. Another huge problem is that they are very slow in refilling the containers. There's no one else in that area who offers that kind of spread at such a low price point :(.

Ohri's tries to cater to the mass market and with the exception of Tansen, every outlet of theirs will be full especially on peak demand days/time (Fri noon, Sat, Sun). So it's better to go on other days.

Quote:
What I hated about it is that it is not an option to pay for the bag or to take the bag,they just go ahead and bill it assuming that everybody wants the bag and is ready to pay for it.
Standardization and economies of scale. McD prides itself on standardized everything - from store layouts to processes to recipes to billing to procurement to whatevernot. That's how they succeeded.

Burger King on the other hand prides itself on customization. You can order the same burger in 5 (even more in some cases) levels of "friedness" (for lack of a better word). Want your king-sized burger cut in half? No problem. Want your stuff extra hot? No problem. Extra spicy? No problem. Without a carry bag? Why not?

Quote:
Another update,cakes in Vacs have jumped prices like mad.Black Forest a kg is at INR 450 now.A couple of months back it was INR 300-350!
Wow! Need to check whether the others have done the same now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShifter View Post

Still remember those times when we used to have Biryani at Bawarchi at Lunch Time during Intermediate Days, The taste certainly was a lot more different and better before.
Around 8 years or so back, Astoria (right next to Bawarchi at RTC X roads) used to serve better - both quantity and quality - biryani than Bawarchi. I don't know how they're doing now.

Regards,
spadix
Old 17th May 2011, 11:26   #3174
BHPian

For those real quick bite lovers, who are loittering around Begumpet. Do drop down at Paratha Ghar at White House. I've been thinking about posting this for long but it always skipped my mind. The discussion about Tandoor refreshed my memories about it. Ok, here's what I loved the most there. "Chicken Paratha Pizza", guys give this a try. I loved it a lot. Paratha made like a Pizza with chicken toppings and loaded with Cheese. Worth giving it a try, especially when you want a quick bite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortShifter View Post
You can never ever say who serves the best Biryani, as the taste buds of people savouring the Biryani differs, some like it without Masala, some with Masala, some with Double Masala.

I love my Biryani to be a perfect mix of "Sondhi Khushbo, Naram Boti, Lambe Chaawal aur Lazzatdar Akhni" (Tantalizing Aroma, Soft Pieces, Long Grain and Amazing Spices)

Bawarchi has long been stricked out of my list of "Lets Have A Biryani Here Today" places, special thanks to the overflowing oil and not so worth it taste. Paradise, the less spoken the better.

Listing down some of the places, which serve amazing Biryani, I would not say best as no one serves it the best. Listing them down as per my order of preference.
1. Shaghouse Hotel, Shalibanda
2. Hotel Sohail, Malakpet
3. Hotel Deccan Paradise, Shalibanda
4. Alpha Hotel, Secunderabad Station
5. Shadab Hotel, Madina
6. Zam Zam Hotel, Paradise X Roads
7. Mohini's, Basheer Bagh
8. Pakwaan, Tadbund
9. Shaghouse Hotel, Toli Chowki
10. Four Seasons, Yousuf Tekdi
11. Prince Hotel, Mehdipatman

Quote:
Nikhil was extremely vocal about the venue and literally ordered me not to go. I was lucky as I did not go since I always listen to Nikhil.
Thanks Bajaj Saab. I was sharing my thoughts about Tandoor & never really knew that I did influence you to such an extent, that you gave Tandoor a miss. I would say you were lucky for having skipped Tandoor.

Quote:
Four of us went for a dinner buffet at Tandoor, Begumpet on saturday night. It was surprisingly vacant for a saturday night.
Tandoor is mostly vacant at any given point of time Nilesh. Hardly do people come down to Tandoor. If I am at Begumpet and hungy, I would rather rush to Haveli and enjoy Peper Chicken and Loose Prawns, rather than spoiling my evening by having dinner at Tandoor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Wow! Need to check whether the others have done the same now.
Most of the joints have increased the price of cakes recently. I was at UB, Himayatnagar and purchased a Rich Chocolate Cake at 475/- per KG. I personally prefer Cake Bank at Himayat Nagar as they serve lovely cakes, but I would not take something off the counter, but would rather place an order and come back later to take it.
Old 17th May 2011, 11:34   #3175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
You can never ever say who serves the best Biryani, as the taste buds of people savouring the Biryani differs, some like it without Masala, some with Masala, some with Double Masala.

I love my Biryani to be a perfect mix of "Sondhi Khushbo, Naram Boti, Lambe Chaawal aur Lazzatdar Akhni" (Tantalizing Aroma, Soft Pieces, Long Grain and Amazing Spices)

Listing down some of the places, which serve amazing Biryani, I would not say best as no one serves it the best. Listing them down as per my order of preference.
5. Shadab Hotel, Madina
8. Pakwaan, Tadbund
Nikhil : You missed out "Sholay" ki Biryani.
Old 17th May 2011, 11:35   #3176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you talk about consistency,Alpha is the name.

This restaurant has never ever disappointed me and the quality of biriyani is just perfect.
Old 17th May 2011, 12:08   #3177
BHPian

Foodie Update:
Heard there is one caterer/food joint in Jubilee Hills, who home delivers "Naatu Kodi Biryani" (Naatu Kodi = Jungle Fowl). He has delivered it till Road No. 12, where JLLM had their office earlier. Heard that the cater is willing to deliver it till Banjara Hills, Jubilee Hills, Madhapur, Kondapur, Gachibowli. My friend was literally raving about it. The Naatu Kodi Biryani tastes amazing and is sure shot to give your taste buds a fiery treatment. Am scouting for his number as my friend has lost it. Has anyone heard about it?

Quote:
Nikhil : You missed out "Sholay" ki Biryani.
Sholay's Biryani isin't consistent Bajaj Saab. Everytime I went to Sholay, it tasted different. I am still to try out Claypot's Biryani. In that case, should also add Waseem Bhai's fav "KIMS ki Chicken Biryani" too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
If you talk about consistency,Alpha is the name. This restaurant has never ever disappointed me and the quality of biriyani is just perfect.
+1 on that Waseem Bhai, Alpha would be my obvious choice, if I am near Secunderabad.

Last edited by traveloholic : 17th May 2011 at 12:10.
Old 17th May 2011, 14:57   #3178
Distinguished - BHPian

All this biryani talk has surely left me hungry. But, offlate i am eating rice, perhaps 1-2 times a week. Surely an improvement from my daily quota.

Quote:
5. Shadab Hotel, Madina
8. Pakwaan, Tadbund
Biryani is the most inconsistent dish in our city even if its so popular amongst the majority of our city dwellers.

Somehow your above list for "amazing" biryani is not convincing. As, places like Shahgouze, Alpha, Zam Zam, Pakwaan are even worse and inconsistent in taste compared to other popular outlets.

From my limited experience, here is my quick feedback :-

Shahgouse : Dry biryani with large chunks of hard and tasteless meat

Pakwaan : Quantity designed for the lower caste with huge quantities of rice and tid bits of bad quality meat embedded within it

Mohini : Very inconsistent in taste

Shadaab : you gotta be kidding me, this would be the oilest biryani of the lot.

I am not sure if any of us would visit small joints like Alpha, Zam Zam to relish a plate of biryani. I personally have passed that stage. Hygiene is of utmost importance now.

Only place that I didnt have biryani yet is 4 seasons. It's on my list and hopefully will try in near future.

Finally, I found biryani to taste superb from many not so well known restuarants and bars.
Old 17th May 2011, 16:11   #3179
BHPian

Quote:
All this biryani talk has surely left me hungry. But, offlate i am eating rice, perhaps 1-2 times a week. Surely an improvement from my daily quota.
Well, you got left hungry and we all went on drooling about it.

Waseem immediately got up from his computer and decided to do something about all this after reading all about biryani.

He went to KIMS to relish the most bestest chicken biryani.

OT : Waseem and Venu Sir : Is the lane re-opened near Katriya?

Quote:
Finally, I found biryani to taste superb from many not so well known restuarants and bars.
What are the venues which make it to your list?
Old 17th May 2011, 16:40   #3180
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:

OT : Waseem and Venu Sir : Is the lane re-opened near Katriya?

What are the venues which make it to your list?
@Avi- This is not fair,please pen down the names of these restaurants.

@ Bajaj Sahb-It will probably take one more week for the lane to reopen.

BTW-Talk of Hygiene,i bet KIMS canteen should be the best in town.This must the only eatery in the list where employees working there have PhD in Nutrition and a PhD in Sanitation.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 17th May 2011 at 16:41.

Most Viewed