Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th June 2011, 13:27   #3301
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
BTW-I had mutton sheek kebab roll from Baba's Chulha for dinner last evening.
Took away ( Chicken Tiranga, Sheek Kebab and Reshmi Kebab) from Baba Chulha yesterday around 8:30pm

Didnt try Reshmi. Sheek as usual was delicious. Tiranga was spicy and tasted like chicken tikka whereas was expecting it to be different.

A quick advice to folks. Dont eat this roll late in the night. It will surely make you uncomfortable and may result in acidity.

Enjoy these rolls for lunch ( best) or an early dinner.
Old 20th June 2011, 14:31   #3302
Senior - BHPian

Had dinner at Blue Fox, Rd # 11, Banjara Hills on Friday with a couple of my Vizag Steel colleagues---incidentally I did not know it had a branch at that location till that day!

Overall ambience was good, and the bill for refreshments, snacks and dinner came to around Rs 2800. Snacks were good, though a bit spicy.

I'd prefer Sholay or Terrace Bay anyday, as one gets more bang for the buck.
Old 21st June 2011, 16:59   #3303

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
@
BTW-I had been to Harika Mess, Opp Bata, Raj Bhavan road for dinner last evening.
Tried this for Lunch today. There was no chapati/roti served for lunch. They had two curries though (one daal and one curry). May be they serve roti/chapati only for dinner. Like SILVERWOOD mentioned chicken curry is nice , though i found couple of pieces not so tender. Definitely worth a try for casual lunch.

A bit OT,
@SILVERWOOD , where did you park your car when you went to Harika mess? I didnt take my car and walked down a good 1 - 2 km from my office. I saw one white hyundai verna wheel locked few meters up the road, i presume for (illegal) parking.
Old 21st June 2011, 20:35   #3304
BHPian

Am visiting Hyderabad during this upcoming weekend. Need suggestions on the best-authentic halal mutton biryani that I can savour. Also something that I can take home ( taking the evening flight back to BLR on monday ). Appreciate fellow bhp-ians help/advice!
Old 21st June 2011, 20:59   #3305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haque View Post
Am visiting Hyderabad during this upcoming weekend. Need suggestions on the best-authentic halal mutton biryani that I can savour. Also something that I can take home ( taking the evening flight back to BLR on monday ). Appreciate fellow bhp-ians help/advice!
All Hyderabadi Authentic Biryani is de-facto Halal so you needn't worry my friend. The bigger question is, do you want taste that Hyderabadi's like or the taste that outsiders should like for Hyderabadi Biryani!

Based on that WONLY will we be able to give you the correct advice

Cheers
Old 21st June 2011, 21:11   #3306
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
The bigger question is, do you want taste that Hyderabadi's like or the taste that outsiders should like for Hyderabadi Biryani!
Hmm, surprising. What exactly is the difference between these two types? Is it just the taste or the price too?

Spike
Old 21st June 2011, 21:15   #3307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPIKE ARRESTOR View Post
Hmm, surprising. What exactly is the difference between these two types? Is it just the taste or the price too?

Spike
I'm not talking about the price at all. There is a big difference in taste. People from outside don't know what they want and hence can be fed all sanistised versions. Hyderabadi's wont take that non-sense.

If you are coming here, wilol explain in details with examples on hand!

Cheers
Old 21st June 2011, 21:20   #3308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All Hyderabadi Authentic Biryani is de-facto Halal so you needn't worry my friend. The bigger question is, do you want taste that Hyderabadi's like or the taste that outsiders should like for Hyderabadi Biryani!

Based on that WONLY will we be able to give you the correct advice

Cheers
Sorry MileCruncher, but your information is wrong.
Not all restaurants serve Halal Meat.

Haque, you need to tell us the area you will be visiting.

The biryani served in restaurants is very rarely close to what is made in Hyderabadi homes.
I consider the latter the original and the former a very poor imitation.

Last edited by bblost : 21st June 2011 at 21:23.
Old 21st June 2011, 21:29   #3309
Senior - BHPian

[
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Sir, please read my post very carefully.

Quote:
All Hyderabadi Authentic Biryani is de-facto Halal so you needn't worry my friend.
Hyderabad has many types of Biryani's that get served across many restaurants. Another point to note is that Hyderabadi Biryani is different from Andhra and other types of Biryani's. Obviously SriKanya and other takeaway places don't serve Hyderabadi Biryani. Its Andhra or XXXX Biryani.

Hyderabadi biryani served across Paradise/Zam Zam/ Bawarchi/Astoria / Garden / Mandar / Four Seasons / Banne Nawab et al are all Halal Biryanis.

I will retract my above statement if you can show me any Authentic Hyderabadi Biryani Centre which serves non-halal meat.

Cheers
Old 21st June 2011, 21:37   #3310
Team-BHP Support

Almost every restaurant calls their combination of meat and rice as Hyderabadi Biryani.

The names of the restaurants you have given are well known to most of us. Not necessarily known to visitors who come to the city.
Old 21st June 2011, 21:38   #3311
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr912m View Post
A bit OT,
@SILVERWOOD , where did you park your car when you went to Harika mess? I didnt take my car and walked down a good 1 - 2 km from my office. I saw one white hyundai verna wheel locked few meters up the road, i presume for (illegal) parking.
Silverwood lives in the vicinity, so parking does not pose a problem for him.

These days, I see lots of cars on Raj Bhavan Rd with locks on them for illegal parking. Looks like cops are filling the coffers for any deficit in their first quarter's budget.
Old 21st June 2011, 22:03   #3312
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The easiest to carry back would ofcourse be the Paradise biriyani,there is an exclusive takeaway outlet at Mehdipatnam,if you are driving back from Banjara Hills side this should be easy for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD
A bit OT,
As for parking,the easiest is the Necklace Road paid parking lot,for anybody on Raj Bhavan Road,this is the only place that offers peace of mind parking,if its a bike you could try your luck by parking it in the building that houses Standard Chartered Bank
Old 22nd June 2011, 07:27   #3313
BHPian

Quote:
Also something that I can take home ( taking the evening flight back to BLR on monday ).
You can take parcel biryani from "Hyderabad House" at Shamshabad village just before you turn into the airport. It is priced @ 130 for chicken one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sr912m View Post
where did you park your car when you went to Harika mess? I didnt take my car and walked down a good 1 - 2 km from my office. I saw one white hyundai verna wheel locked few meters up the road, i presume for (illegal) parking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
As for parking,the easiest is the Necklace Road paid parking lot,for anybody on Raj Bhavan Road,this is the only place that offers peace of mind parking,if its a bike you could try your luck by parking it in the building that houses Standard Chartered Bank
For Harika Mess and Balaji and a few other eateries, the easiest parking spots are the lane leading to Katriya and the other side lanes in the area. However, illegal parking in these lanes is giving nightmares to Silverwood and Vnabhi as their entrance and exit are invariably blocked. Silverwood did take it up with Hyderabad Traffic Police but his complaint was not taken seriously.
How about parking at the Bata showroom and crossing the road?
Old 22nd June 2011, 14:50   #3314
Distinguished - BHPian

@Haque, I recommend you take-away from most popular (supposedly) biryani in town which is from Paradise Hotel situated in Paradise. Ask them for double masala if you like it spicy/lot of masala in the biryani.

Also, as Hyd_Traveller recommended. Just for sake of comparison, take another biryani from Hyderabad House ( will fall on left enroute to airport from Hyd city) and let us know which one you liked the most.

This way, you kill two birds with one stone
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd June 2011, 21:11   #3315
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post

Haque, you need to tell us the area you will be visiting.

The biryani served in restaurants is very rarely close to what is made in Hyderabadi homes.
I consider the latter the original and the former a very poor imitation.
Thanks for all the responses.

I would be staying near Kacheguda railway station. From what I hear of at BLR, biryani is a must-have at paradise... like Karim's @Hazrat Nizamuddin.
However, my reading of this thread indicates that there are far better options out there. Hence need advice on know what to opt for. What would do justice to the famed Hyderabadi Biryani. ( mutton biryani only).
Also I understand that there are outlets of Paradise and Karachi Bakery at the airport...is this true?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks