Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2011, 16:13   #3391
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
It's my belief that providing help on food matters will help me attain nirvana

Simple way to pay back is write a review of your experience here.....
Ahh thats a good way to do it. Will check out N-Grill on my own some other time. For now the team heads to Daspalla end of this week. Its new to Hyderabad located behind Pride Honda - Madhapur, but very well known to any one from Visakhapatnam. I have been going to Daspalla in Visakhapatnam for the past 20 years and its almost next to home food for me. Been to the one in Hyderabad couple of times, and was never disappointed.

Last edited by mashmash : 11th July 2011 at 16:16.
Old 11th July 2011, 17:27   #3392
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Oh Boy that was Quick. N-Grill near Croma? Sounds good. Giving them a call to book a table.

EDIT: No Buffet. Ala Cate for a team of 30 would be crazy. Heading for tried and trusted Daspalla.
You could also try the restaurants at Lemon Tree & the newly opened Sarovar Premiere
Old 12th July 2011, 16:04   #3393
BHPian

Had Lunch today at Nautanki Gali at Cyber Pearl, Madhapur. Night Hawk +5
Total damage : Rs 2334/-

2 soups. 3 starters (2 types of chicken and one fish) Pepper fish was good; Chicken was ok.

2-3 types of vegeterian starters for veggies

Veg and Non Veg Dimsums were so so.

Chat counter was for namesake. Only dahi puri was being served. Guyz serving at chat counter were just unable to handle the counter.

Lassi, and other two types of cold drinks were ok

There is a live dosa counter.

Main course included biryani, mutton roghan josh, and a couple of gravies, curd rice and varities of breads.

Selection of salads was average. Icecreams and deserts were as usual.
Rasamalai was tasteless giving a feel of chewing sponge. Jalebis were crsip and tasty.

The food is average, service is poor because they dont have enough people to handle the large crowd. The place is too crowded. Can visit once for a change.

Last edited by Night_Hawk : 12th July 2011 at 16:05.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:18   #3394
Senior - BHPian

I have been wanting to ask this question many a time,but it keeps getting lost.

What would be the best place to eat authentic punjabi food(punjabi food at home is ofcourse the best!)but I would really like to know if there exists some place which does cook us some really nice authentic food.I miss the AAngan at Bangalore which does something similar
Old 12th July 2011, 16:26   #3395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night_Hawk View Post
Had Lunch today at Nautanki Gali at Cyber Pearl, Madhapur. Night Hawk +5
Total damage : Rs 2334/-
390/head at Nautanki Galli is simply not worth it. Their lure factor is "Number of items" out of which 70% would be bad/cold/tasteless/average etc. What's the point of serving them then?

I would rather pay half that price and enjoy 30% of that spread which should be good/excellent.

NG is already struck off my list after my debacle experience there
Old 12th July 2011, 16:27   #3396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashmash View Post
Daspalla. Its new to Hyderabad located behind Pride Honda - Madhapur.
Update : Pride Honda - Madhapur as you call it used to be on Road No. 36 of Jubilee Hills next to a petrol pump but has closed down some time back and shifted to Hi-Tec City.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:39   #3397
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

What would be the best place to eat authentic punjabi food(punjabi food at home is ofcourse the best!)but I would really like to know if there exists some place which does cook us some really nice authentic food.I miss the AAngan at Bangalore which does something similar
Angeethi is the place you need to head towards.
Old 12th July 2011, 16:46   #3398
BHPian

Quote:

Not tried but Mobike008 says it is good.

Quote:
@Bajaj Saab, If you like simple home cooked type of food. Then you should try "Hotel Punjab" near Ramkote.

Run by a sardar gentleman and their Thali ( Rs.70) is the best simple thali that i ever had ( feedback from 6 months ago or so). Unlike other restuarants, each and every dish in their thali is excellent.

I tried Ala Carte too. But, found the Thali always better.
Quote:
On Abids Road, take left from the Bata Showroom and keep going straight towards Ramkote.

You will see a big church on your right. Hotel Punjab is bang opposite to this church.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Angeethi qualifies for restaurant type of food but not for home type of food.
Old 12th July 2011, 17:04   #3399
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Hotel Punjab is quite good for a decent punjabi veg meal. But, if you look at my recent review, I didnt quite enjoy that meal.

Maybe one-off bad experience? Only time will tell...
Old 12th July 2011, 17:04   #3400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post

Angeethi qualifies for restaurant type of food but not for home type of food.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
I really dont think Angeethi qualifies to be called Punjabi by any stretch of imagination,its just an overpriced restaurant that serves a mish-mash of things with so much of masala on each thing that one really does not know what one is eating!Sorry if I have hurt any sentiments there-wasnt the intention,just my two cents thats all.

I am yet to come across a quality "Punjabi" restaurant or a dhaba.the hunt goes on!

We need a Punjabi "Rajdhani" now.Rajdhani I guess has shown the way in India that how it is not so difficult to showcase the original regional flavours in the most simplest of ways and yet be so very popular.

The same way how the Saravana Bhavans and the Adayar Ananda Bhavans are conducting their business!Kamats are good for highways!
Old 12th July 2011, 17:07   #3401
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I miss the AAngan at Bangalore which does something similar
Are you referring to the one in Krooramangala? My friends and I must've given them lakhs worth of business in our bachelorhood days. We stayed a stone's throw away and used to get food delivered home in a Qualis. Super food which we never got tired of eating day-in/day-out.

Regards,
spadix
Old 12th July 2011, 17:21   #3402
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
Are you referring to the one in Krooramangala? My friends and I must've given them lakhs worth of business in our bachelorhood days. We stayed a stone's throw away and used to get food delivered home in a Qualis. Super food which we never got tired of eating day-in/day-out.

Regards,
spadix
Yes the very same one,though that is a later addition.They started off with a basement run small restaurant near Anand Rao Circle on Race Course Road.That then shut shop due it being illegal blah blah.They then opened a "proper" restaurant on Infantry Road and the Koramangala one is a later addition and they currently have only these two outlets if I am not wrong.What sets the place apart is that you can virtually see the whole family involved in running it and the prices are still modest compared to today's Bangalore;s menus.Right from the grandfather(who takes the orders)the son and the daughter in law and the grandmother are seen in both restaurants at all times and the taste is consistent as well!Ok enough of my ranting about the place.If people do head out to Bangalore,do drop by Aangan,its a worth while place to visit.Its on Koramangala main road close to Raheja Arcade etc.
Old 12th July 2011, 17:50   #3403
Senior - BHPian

Was at Bread Talk the other day(the bakery attached to Q-Mart) and the prices are atrocious.A regular loaf of bread (the large cut ones)numbering around 8-10 was priced somewhere around 70rs!!!This was the cheapest,the brown bread etc were going through the roof and the place I find has the most indifferent of staff.
Old 12th July 2011, 21:08   #3404
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Was at Bread Talk the other day(the bakery attached to Q-Mart) and the prices are atrocious.A regular loaf of bread (the large cut ones)numbering around 8-10 was priced somewhere around 70rs!!!This was the cheapest,the brown bread etc were going through the roof and the place I find has the most indifferent of staff.
I am happy with the Rs.28 wala brown bread from Ratnadeep. I love breads and especially brown. But, since they are too fatty, I dont eat them much

My favorite "diet" meal is to munch on a few slices of brown bread and nibble on Amul cheese cubes ( Love the cream and onion)
Old 14th July 2011, 11:55   #3405
Senior - BHPian

Need some urgent advise,I need to make a decision between Mercure,Abids & Time Square,Clock tower for a 2nights accomodation.Both are in the range of INR 4000 per night for triple occupancy.Looking out for a place for somebody visiting hyd for a couple of days .Btw I realised while looking around that hotel room prices have dropped drastically.Kakatiya is going at INR7000-thats all,something that was int he range of 12-13k a night.

Another update is that Leo Continental on MG Road,has sold itself off to the intelligroup and is now under the name of Mango Suites.

Most Viewed