Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2011, 12:55   #3421
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
Yesterday was no less than sheer madness on road with regards to traffic. I spent 3 hours if not more in the car due to which i missed the gym.
What time of day was this? I was out between noon and 4 doing rounds of B. Hills and it did seem to be a bit busier than normal, but being off-peak hrs was bearable. What's more surprising is that it all those stretches were practically empty between 10:30 am and noon today!

By the way, it's too bad the campus gym is open to FTEs only. It could've worked out very well for you otherwise (except that it'll be a desert if you know what I mean).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
Note, they are pioneers in sambhar rice in our city and I can guarantee no other joint can make sambhar rice like them
Would it be better than the home-made variety? I must try it out once.

Regards,
spadix
Old 15th July 2011, 13:09   #3422
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
What time of day was this?
Started from home at 930am and reached office at 1045am. Started back at 7pm and reached at 840pm

Yesterday, there was a jam right from Mehdipatnam to Gachibowli and this was almost bumper to bumper type.

Return it was smooth till mehdipatnam but, from thereon till home, it was nighmarish.

My typical timing from home to work/work to home = 45mins-50 mins/55mins-60mins

Quote:
By the way, it's too bad the campus gym is open to FTEs only. It could've worked out very well for you otherwise (except that it'll be a desert if you know what I mean).
Yeah, the gyms are pretty jazzy but, without "inspiration" i wont last even a day there

Quote:
Would it be better than the home-made variety? I must try it out once.
Oh yeah, and we make some good sambhar at home. Their sambhar's taste is unique.

I hope you know sambhars made for rice is different than sambhar to be enjoyed with idli/wada. The ingredients and masala is quite different. We make both separate at home. For e.g If you taste the sambhar at Minerva or Shanbagh, that sambhar cannot be eaten with rice. It's perfect only for idli/wada.

Megacity sambhar is just perfect for the rice and comes loaded with ghee and quantity is good for 3 people

I have tried sambhar rice in many places and i think Megacity is number one, Golden Deer is no.2
Old 15th July 2011, 18:15   #3423
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Oh yeah, and we make some good sambhar at home. Their sambhar's taste is unique.

Megacity sambhar is just perfect for the rice and comes loaded with ghee and quantity is good for 3 people

I have tried sambhar rice in many places and i think Megacity is number one, Golden Deer is no.2
I second that. I haven't tasted such delicious fare anywhere in Hyd, at least till now. I have to say, previously when it operated a Bar I haven't seen many boozers going for any other dish apart from sambhar rice.
Old 15th July 2011, 22:20   #3424
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
I second that. I haven't tasted such delicious fare anywhere in Hyd, at least till now. I have to say, previously when it operated a Bar I haven't seen many boozers going for any other dish apart from sambhar rice.
Most people used to go there because MegaCity had the patronage of the cops, it is right next to the CP's office and was open till late in night and yes, they do serve the best Sambhar Rice in Hyderabad. I went there many times after 12 in the night to have the last-one for the road and eat sambhar rice.
Old 16th July 2011, 09:43   #3425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamsi.kona View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Most people used to go there because MegaCity had the patronage of the cops, it is right next to the CP's office and was open till late in night and yes, they do serve the best Sambhar Rice in Hyderabad. I went there many times after 12 in the night to have the last-one for the road and eat sambhar rice.
Nice that you guys agree. That place is owned by a standing MLA and he botched up the paperwork due to which licence got cancelled and getting it after a 2 year hiatus is not easy. Besides, his son is too young to handle that place with license.

Despite no license, they have their own set of customers and restuarant runs fairly well and they are adamant and slightly blunt that they dont do home delivery. Wifey couple of weeks ago got a take-away delivered on a pretext that we are 100 meters from their place and made him come all the way home which left the guy fuming

Yup, all the guys used to order only Sambhar rice that's the ONLY dish that is ordered on each table. Something similar like each table in "Havemore" having Chole Bathure
Old 16th July 2011, 10:15   #3426
BHPian

Quote:

Can I have the exact location of Megacity at Basheerbagh Cross Road?

I wish take one plate of Sambhar-Rice as parcel for my lunch today from there.
Old 16th July 2011, 10:22   #3427
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Can I have the exact location of Megacity at Basheerbagh Cross Road?

I wish take one plate of Sambhar-Rice as parcel for my lunch today from there.
Bajaj Saab, this place is bang on the basheerbagh crossroads. Right next to comissioner of police office. You can enter into the lane just before CP office and park in basement.

Price of Sambhar Rice is Rs.115 + 4% vat. 1/2 plate is 65 bucks. Do let us know if you liked it?

Enjoy your lunch.....
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 10:27   #3428
BHPian

Guys,
I am a Hyderabadi visiting my hometown for the weekend. I couln't help notice the spirited discussion about beef versus mutton.
I lived in America for a long time where I got introduced to the fine art of eating beef by the dozen ounces (all meat with a dollop of mashed potatoes) and ate more than my share of all animals possible(frogs, quails etc).
While I agree that meat minced and kabab'ed or even curried(small pieces) might be very hard to detect for beef, I would say that the aroma of beef being grilled (minced or otherwise) has a distinct aroma and flavor as compared to goat or even lamb (even these are pretty different one another with lamb having a more darker grassier flavor).
BTW the guys who contribute to the MEAT section of this thread ROCK !
Respect for your meat guzzling skills !
NoMind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2011, 10:57   #3429
BHPian

Quote:
Bajaj Saab, this place is bang on the basheerbagh crossroads. Right next to comissioner of police office. You can enter into the lane just before CP office and park in basement.

Price of Sambhar Rice is Rs.115 + 4% vat. 1/2 plate is 65 bucks. Do let us know if you liked it?

Enjoy your lunch.....
Got it or at least I think I have, must be just after Embassy turning.

Any pointers to some nice non veg snacks which are available there (I just love my pre-lunch snacks in front of the TV on a lazy saturday) else I will end up eating Lays.
Old 16th July 2011, 18:18   #3430
BHPian

Quote:
Chilli Chicken for snacks. 175+4%. Good. Very addictive though hot & spicy. Could stop eating it only when it finished.

Sambhar Rice. 115+4%. Very good. Not very spicy but not bland at all. Right amount of salt which is becoming an issue at most restaurants. Quantity is not good enough for 3, just a wee bit extra if 2 people eat. Will go again for it. And soon.

By the way, the name is "Mega City Hotel" and also "Megha City Hotel". The staff in uniforms had Mega in front and Megha on the back. Even on the bill, at different places the names are different. Seems like a case of dual identity.

The only drawback was traffic slow down from Mahavir Hospital at Red Hills till Ravindra Bharti. Crawling would have been defined as blazing speed. Before someone wonders how Mahavir was on my route, I had first gone to Bikanerwala in Banjara Hills.
Old 17th July 2011, 10:49   #3431
BHPian

Quote:
Sorry to hear about your bad experience at Nanking, josepeter.

TBHP-Hyd in its entirety has given up on Nanking. In Avi's words, no one will go there even if they're paid to eat there.

The heady days of the '80s and '90s are unfortunately just memories from the past.

Regards,
spadix
The thing about Nanking is it is a total love it or hate it kinda place. I live very close to the Banjara Hills Nanking and since they opened this joint visited the place many times (once in a fortnight dinner with family is norm) and ordered take away 100s of times (I typically tell Rafi, the cashier - 2 of 1, 1 or 2 of 2, 1 or 2 of 3 - depending on number of guests I have at home - 1 being drum sticks, 2 chicken pakoda and 3 loose fried prawns).

All my friends love the starters there and my wife and kids love the food at Banajra Hills nanking. They are doing roaring business and typically have more than 300 parcel orders during the weekends, mostly for items 1 and 2.

I also know few of my friends who will not eat it even the food is served free.
Old 17th July 2011, 11:27   #3432
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by josepeter View Post
NANKING C-R : Supposed to be an iconic "cheap n best" chinese eatery in Hyderabad.I wouldn't recommend Nanking....
Iam truly amazed people still visit Nanking at Parklane hoping they will serve good food atleast on that day.

Those days of cheap chinese food is gone. Now its expensive chinese food ( Chinese Pavilion, Ming's court, Fareast etc) or exorbitantly priced like Mainland China.

I reckon we need to drop that urge of finding a cheap place for good chinese food ( I have atleast dropped that idea). If its cheap like Bowl O China then its either inconsistent or next day their will be huge rumblings in your stomach

I have decided that chinese food in hyderabad means CP or Ming's court. Other places would just be a compromise

Quote:
TBHP-Hyd in its entirety has given up on Nanking. In Avi's words, no one will go there even if they're paid to eat there.
Yup, I said that and mean it. Whenever I go to Reshmi's I see folks waiting in queue outside as if that restuarant has been awarded the best of the year

What they make best or atleast decent is Chicken Drumsticks and that's it.

Quote:
Sambhar Rice. 115+4%. Very good. Not very spicy but not bland at all. Right amount of salt which is becoming an issue at most restaurants. Quantity is not good enough for 3, just a wee bit extra if 2 people eat. Will go again for it. And soon.
Glad you liked it. That sambhar rice cannot be beaten

Their Apollo Fish is outstanding, didnt see your snack request earlier. Do try it next time.

Also, their Andhra dishes are particularly much better than other fares

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
- 1 being drum sticks, 2 chicken pakoda and 3 loose fried prawns).
Dont know about the other two items ( though had pakodas there and didnt like them), I agree their Drumsticks is the signature items like SR from Megacity, Chole Bathure from Havemore

Last evening got home delivered the following items from "Mohini's" in Basheerbagh. Total Damages : 450

1. Chilly Chicken
I dont know any other places where this dish includes those different type of onions ( large sliced ones) and loads of capsicum. Excellent !!!

2. Tandoori Chicken (1/2)
Average. This is not their forte

3. Apollo Fish
Very Good but, this is different from the ones you get in most restuarants.

4. Mutton Tikka Masala
This was the highlight of the evening. Along with Tandoori Rotis, this went in so smoothly that it made all of us wanting for more. The most succulent meat pieces in a tasty gravy after a long time.
Old 17th July 2011, 23:10   #3433
Senior - BHPian

Just back a while ago after having a wonderful wonderful dinner at RUBAIYAT.

Restaurant : Rubaiyat(Ohri's chain)

Ambience: 4.5/5 (a little dark for my taste, but interiors are awesome)
Food : 5/5 (awesome awesome awesome !!!)
Service : 4/5

Awesome Mocktails : do try their Spicy Guava mocktail
We ordered the following :

Dhuadhaar Murgh(starters) : Juicy, supple, spicy and tasty:240/-
Tava Prawns(main course) : Nice , spicy tiger prawns : 320/-
Kadhi(Main course): Very very nice, do try it : 170/-

Total Bill was : 2063/-(lots of taxes) .
Total Pax : 3
Here is the break up

sub total (food) : 1633
Service charges: 163
Service Tax: 55.49
VAT: 210.82
TOTAL : 2063

OVERALL : 4/5

We are still gushing about the food. It was wonderful

Enjoy. It's 007 time on star movies.

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 17th July 2011 at 23:12.
Old 18th July 2011, 10:45   #3434
BHPian

Haleem 2011 Season

Haleem 2011 Season is declared open and has started at Hyderabad.

I saw an advertisement on Page 19 of Hyderabad Chronicle which comes along with The Deccan Chronicle in Hyderabad on 17-Jul-2011 (sunday) :

"On our customers' request we have started serving Bahar Irani Haleem from today till the end of the holy month of Ramzaan".

Ready to serve from 4:00P.M. onwards.

100% Goat Meat Pure Ghee with Irani Spl. Spices.

Wholesale price : Rs. 60/Plate!

Cafe Bahar Multi-Cuisine Restaurant (A/C & Family), Hyderguda, Hyderabad.
Old 18th July 2011, 12:12   #3435
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Haleem 2011 Season

Quote:
Haleem 2011 Season is declared open and has started at Hyderabad. Wholesale price : Rs. 60/Plate!

Cafe Bahar Multi-Cuisine Restaurant (A/C & Family), Hyderguda, Hyderabad.
Thanks for deciding my dinner tonight. Will pick up a take-away this evening.

Saturday had lunch at "Just Paranthas" at Rd.No 12, Bhills

3 Gobi Parthana : Rs.60
Extra Butter : Rs.5
Rajma : Rs.45
2 Lassi : Rs.40

Total Damage : Rs.150

Paranthas were excellent and just how its made back home including the pudina chutney they serve that with. Wifey was astonished how exactly like its made similar to her home in Delhi. All paranthas are priced between Rs.20-Rs.25.

Most VFM place that I have seen and paranthas are much better than Gur Nihal or Needs

Rajma was also excellent and had a north indian flavour and taste to it

Lassi was thick and delicious

We just wish it was close to home so we can dig into these paranthas atleast twice a week.

Most Viewed