Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 27th July 2011, 10:28   #3481
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
RR does not really figure on the top of my to-go list but it is not bad either but yeah, may be great was a bit too much. Few times i ate there I had thaali, raagi mudda with naatu kodi pulusu / rayalaseema mutton, jonna rotte with gongura mutton, chapa vepudu (you named the good dishes already :P).
1) RR did not have thali for dinner when I went there last weekend. They said that thali is served only on weekdays and that too only during lunch. I should have been more alert about this piece of information and should have gone to Southern Spice or Abhiruchi. Having said that, the food was okay at RR. We all enjoyed whatever we ordered in vegetarian section. I enjoyed my paya soup and nati kodi (the only non veg that was ordered as I was the lone non-veg). The jowar rotis of Kritunga in Dwarkapuri Colony (adjoining the place where Anjappar used to exist) would rate 100 times better. RR was empty and continued to remain empty but for our table and maybe 1 or 2 more. Only after 9:30, the crowds came in and soon the place was chock-o-block fillled to capacity.

2) I see "NoRules" as a very serious hardcore foodie on this thread. When do we all get to meet him live and see his appetite?

3) Can someone direct me to the exact location of Astoria, the place famous for biryani?
Old 27th July 2011, 12:40   #3482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
1) RR did not have thali for dinner when I went there last weekend. They said that thali is served only on weekdays and that too only during lunch. I should have been more alert about this piece of information and should have gone to Southern Spice or Abhiruchi. Having said that, the food was okay at RR. We all enjoyed whatever we ordered in vegetarian section. I enjoyed my paya soup and nati kodi (the only non veg that was ordered as I was the lone non-veg). The jowar rotis of Kritunga in Dwarkapuri Colony (adjoining the place where Anjappar used to exist) would rate 100 times better. RR was empty and continued to remain empty but for our table and maybe 1 or 2 more. Only after 9:30, the crowds came in and soon the place was chock-o-block fillled to capacity.

2) I see "NoRules" as a very serious hardcore foodie on this thread. When do we all get to meet him live and see his appetite?

3) Can someone direct me to the exact location of Astoria, the place famous for biryani?
1. I ate thaali at RR when they had their outlet at Shantinagar. Infact after they opened at L-ka-Pool I went there only once. Uttam had invited all our friends for the inauguration of Rd.No.36 joint but I was out of town and could not attend. Agree with you that food at Kritunga costs less than 50% and tastes better than RR. I prefer going to their outlet next to Civil Supplies Bhavan, Erramanzil which has more seating and was walkable from my previous office at Punjagutta.

2. ehe. I am a foodie all right and a serious wannabe restaurateur. More than eating I love cooking for my family and friends, specialty being chicken biryani and non-veg curries, telangana style (read - very spicy)

3. Astoria: When you are coming from Osmania University towards Indira Park, you will find Astoria before the RTC X road traffic signal, opp Sandhya theatre, just after Bawarchi restaurant. You cannot miss it if you can reach the signal.
Old 27th July 2011, 12:51   #3483
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Astoria is right next to Bawarchi on RTC X roads. You cannot miss them
Old 27th July 2011, 13:18   #3484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1) The jowar rotis of Kritunga in Dwarkapuri Colony (adjoining the place where Anjappar used to exist) would rate 100 times better.
If I'm not mistaken, Kritunga has a branch on the lane parallel to Katriya hotel lane, where Pratul Honda service centre is located.

Anybody tried that place? It is not far from Silverwood's place and zen91's office.
Old 27th July 2011, 14:55   #3485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
If I'm not mistaken, Kritunga has a branch on the lane parallel to Katriya hotel lane, where Pratul Honda service centre is located.

Anybody tried that place? It is not far from Silverwood's place and zen91's office.
Kritunga has 4 outlets, AFAIK. One is in the lane beside Model House, just next to Anjappar (it is a small joint), one is in the lane next to Civil supplies bhavan, in Hotel Hari Priya, just after Mohsin Motor Needs petrol pump on Punjagutta - Khairatabad lane, one in Nampally and 4th in Madhapur.

I have been to the Hotel hari Priya outlet several times and also ordered door delivery / take away few times. Food is good, you can try any rayalaseema dish and also the biryani (not dum). The place is crowded during peak lunch / dinner hours and expect people sharing your table without even asking permission. Cost is reasonable too.
Old 27th July 2011, 16:32   #3486
Distinguished - BHPian

All this telangana food discussion is reminding me of the finger lickin', mouth watering, dangerously delicious, mind bogglingly delectable and totally tantalizing food of "Hotel City Grand" in Warangal.

Do you all think it's time for a drive to Warangal just for the food?
Old 27th July 2011, 17:15   #3487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
All this telangana food discussion is reminding me of the finger lickin', mouth watering, dangerously delicious, mind bogglingly delectable and totally tantalizing food of "Hotel City Grand" in Warangal.

I am game; let's decide on the date ASAP
Old 27th July 2011, 17:23   #3488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabby-069 View Post
Never knew you were such a foodie. Alright, check the "meet thread" for the next one and say your aye there.

Same goes for other fellow foodies. Trust me, you will come back with take-aways like Sabby did last time
Old 27th July 2011, 18:21   #3489
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabby-069 View Post
I would suggest doing a proper Telengana food meet here itself rather than driving all the way to Warangal. Its very difficult to keep my eyes on the road after a sumptuous meal!
Old 27th July 2011, 18:57   #3490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
I would suggest doing a proper Telengana food meet here itself rather than driving all the way to Warangal. Its very difficult to keep my eyes on the road after a sumptuous meal!
Talking about Telangana food : Dunno if you people of heard of this dish called Ankapoor Desi Chicken. It comes from Ankapoor village in district of Nizamabad (between NZB and Armoor) and the concept started few years ago when one enterprising guy started take away service of one naatu kodi (country chicken) and 1 kg rice cooked for 150 bucks. Obviously it is not 150 bucks any more and they stopped giving the rice but the concept is now wide spread in Nizamabad town. I think they charge 250-300 bucks per cooked bird now a days.

I introduced my friends at Hyderabad to this dish and now no party of my friends or mine goes without Ankapoor Desi Chicken from Nizamabad. You can get it at Bowenpally too but nothing like fiery desi chicken cooked at Nzb.

May be once the rainy season is over we can have a drive meet to my village in Adilabad district (220 kms on NH 7, near Nirmal) for a true telangana food fest. I remember CtrlAltDel talked about the best Naatu Kodi he ever ate for several months after he attended a daawat at my village. :-)

If you people have a meet here, i can get the naatu kodi delivered from Nizamabad.
NoRules is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th July 2011, 19:18   #3491
BHPian

Heard lot of praises about this Ankapoor Chicken from one of my uncle. Till now I was thinking it as Alkapoor, now clarified as Ankapoor.
Old 27th July 2011, 23:22   #3492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianNomad View Post
Heard lot of praises about this Ankapoor Chicken from one of my uncle. Till now I was thinking it as Alkapoor, now clarified as Ankapoor.
IndianNomad,

This village is one of the most prosperous in AP. They are extremely good farmers, use all the latest technologies, are united and work together. It was known as vegetable capital of Hyderabad. Now they are more into commercial crops like turmeric. Even before farmers of neighboring towns / districts start to sow maize, farmers of Ankapoor supply us Hydies with makka bhuttas.

If you go to this village it would look more like a upper middle class colony like, say, Avanti Nagar Colony in Basheerbagh or Srinagar colony.

Ankapoor desi chicken is now a way of cooking spicy country chicken. There are very few left in Ankapoor who actually are into that business.
Old 28th July 2011, 11:35   #3493
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
You can get it at Bowenpally
Where in Bowenpally.?

Have heard of this delicacy many a times.
Old 28th July 2011, 12:04   #3494
Senior - BHPian

Totally offtopic,but any reccomendations for an outdoor caterer who would do a small party of approx 50-60 people out of which 40 are kids!Vegetarian only.Budget arnd 150 per head ( not sure if this is a realistic rate!)its for a close friend and they are desperately looking out for a caterer for tomorrow.
Old 28th July 2011, 13:33   #3495
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Totally offtopic,but any reccomendations for an outdoor caterer who would do a small party of approx 50-60 people out of which 40 are kids!Vegetarian only.Budget arnd 150 per head ( not sure if this is a realistic rate!)its for a close friend and they are desperately looking out for a caterer for tomorrow.
I'm not sure if you are referring to south Indian veg food or North Indian food.

If it is the former, then I can give you a few numbers from my excel sheet---but that was 4 years ago. I hope they exist even today.

T Subramanyam Caterer 92471 42390 92471 92390
T Syam sundar Rao Caterer 98490 27682
Sharma Caterer 55884783

Last edited by vnabhi : 28th July 2011 at 13:34.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed