Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 25th August 2011, 14:20   #3631
Team-BHP Support

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
However good their Biryani might be, the service is absolutely horrible and the guys extra rude. I would think twice before buying Biryani from there
I have never experienced any rudeness from the take away staff.
In fact the guys who sit at the cash counter have always been very pleasant and cordial with me.

The bakery on the other hand is badly organized and most of the time they are too confused to be polite.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:22   #3632
Senior - BHPian

Forgot to mention, yesterday picked up Chicken Haleem from "Royal Haleem Centre" (one of the stalls) besides the masjid at road no: 2, Opp. to the Qmart building.
Asked him for extra onions. They also put some kinda gravy above the haleem which looked like oil. Packed 2 boxes and ate at home. It was still hot and yummy.

At 40 bucks for a plate it was VFM.

Edit: and forgot to add, spotted Ani bhai with his Getaway on the same road further ahead(going left) talking on the phone day before yesterday(Tuesday).

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 25th August 2011 at 14:24.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:46   #3633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
Forgot to mention, yesterday picked up Chicken Haleem from "Royal Haleem Centre" (one of the stalls) besides the masjid at road no: 2, Opp. to the Qmart building.
I pick up Haleem from him almost everyday of this month, have been doing this from last 3 years.I find it to be very tasty.
Old 25th August 2011, 14:52   #3634
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Asked him for extra onions. They also put some kinda gravy above the haleem which looked like oil. Packed 2 boxes and ate at home. It was still hot and yummy.
Beileve it or not. Never had Chicken Haleem till date and hopefully, will never have it also. Must be yucks? Right?

Just cant imagine haleem in chicken or veg format

Quote:
Edit: and forgot to add, spotted Ani bhai with his Getaway on the same road further ahead(going left) talking on the phone day before yesterday(Tuesday).
That's bad. you should have snapped a picture and shared it with the authorities
Old 25th August 2011, 14:59   #3635
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Beileve it or not. Never had Chicken Haleem till date and hopefully, will never have it also. Must be yucks? Right?

Just cant imagine haleem in chicken or veg format

Chicken Harees is actually quite nice.
Mobike give it a try.

I will try out this "Royal Haleem Centre". Thanks.

My first Hyderabadi Haleem was some 8 years back at the same location.
Old 25th August 2011, 15:05   #3636
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Don't remember being on that road on Tuesday. Are you sure? You might have mistaken me with someone else. There is another Getaway, same colour and 4X4 owned by someone I know. You might have seen that

Quote:
That's bad. you should have snapped a picture and shared it with the authorities
Absolutely. Doodh Ka Doodh Paani Ka Paaniho jata ( The truth would have come out )

Cheers
Old 25th August 2011, 15:14   #3637
Senior - BHPian

Shey!! I wrote everything and lost it. My second attempt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
I pick up Haleem from him almost everyday of this month, have been doing this from last 3 years.I find it to be very tasty.
Daily!nice.
The other place I tasted good Chicken Haleem is at "Bismillah Haleem Centre" on road no:10, Banjara hills. A little ahead of the Rainbow Hospital on the same side but again a footpath stall.

I will pick haleem from Royal's again tomorrow. This time 1 chicken + 1 mutton.
Quote:
nah nah!! it's not bad. It's actually nice. The Chicken Haleem is a little more white, meats finely minced and the texture is smooth.
Give it a try. You might as well like it.
Actually, my wife doesn't eat mutton but likes to have haleem, so the chicken haleem is the best compromise.

Quote:
Not that he was talking on phone while driving. His getaway was parked and he was standing outside of it and talking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Don't remember being on that road on Tuesday. Are you sure? You might have mistaken me with someone else. There is another Getaway, same colour and 4X4 owned by someone I know. You might have seen that
I can make mistake with the Getaway Ani bhai!! but not with you. It was you!!
Saw you around that red circle.
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-rd-no-5.jpg

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 25th August 2011 at 15:25.
Old 25th August 2011, 15:58   #3638
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I can make mistake with the Getaway Ani bhai!! but not with you. It was you!!
Saw you around that red circle.
I was there at Moto Axis with Sabby, Barry and Appu also there. You should have stopped to say hello
Old 25th August 2011, 17:22   #3639
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadie_swift View Post
I'll make sure to get better guidance next time, and hope my gratitude was not misplaced.
Hey, look at the bright side! It can only get better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitnair77 View Post
I've moved to Hyderabad recently and here is my take on some of the restaurants here.
Ranjit, you've described to the 'T' exactly what I feel about the restaurants on your list. I've been to most (not all) of them and my experiences mirror yours.

In particular, Rubaiyat -

My ex-colleagues threw me a farewell lunch there on the 17th and since then I've been on the move and without proper internet access (until today) to post my own experience with the place.

As you've rightly described, the almond soup is very well-made. I would've preferred a little more chilli in it but I was searching for more soup even after downing the dregs. It was that good! The starters were also amazing. Unfortunately we were all in a bit of a hurry (in and out in one hour) and I just had so many things to take care of with my move that I don't remember the exact names of the dishes. One was triangle-shaped slabs of paneer marinated in masala. That was good, but even better was Oonda, veg. dumplings with a hint of coconut.

There were 5 of us and so we ordered a round each of the 5 types of special rotis (green mirchi, red mirchi and three others) they had and if we weren't so full of the starters we would've had another round each.

The main dishes - a mixed veg. curry and a dal makhani - were very well-made too.

My take? Visit Rubaiyat as many times as possible before it's "discovered" by greater Hyderabad!

On to the others in your list -

Ista used to be special in 2009 and early 2010, but they've gone down the drain a bit since then mainly by taking some dishes off their menu. The less said about Ella the better. I wonder how they still remain in business. I avoid both now.

Our Place's story is similar to Ista's. They were extra special back in the day (2003/4) and while they're still great, they've been discovered by greater Hyderabad. I would still dine there for the ambience and overall good quality.

Punjabi Rasoi is very popular in the Gachibowli area but somehow I didn't like them all that much. I got burnt twice ordering a kofta curry which turned out to be sweet (all other Punjabi restaurants I've eaten at prepare that dish "normally", i.e. without it being sweet). The veg. pulao was way too oily for ourliking. Also the delivery took an inordinate amount of time, perhaps because of the dishes we ordered. The mistake repeated because I'd forgotten the first instance. This is perhaps the only review on which we differ. In addition, one person I know reported that once, the plastic in which his order was delivered had melted. The food was that hot. Another person reported rats running around underneath the tables.

Quote:
I beg to differ here Sirji. There was a place called "Broadway Restuarant" above Abids Chermas. One of the best fine dining restuarants in Hyderabad.
I've heard a lot about this place (school was in Basheerbagh) but was never rich enough to visit the place.

Technically he's right, no? Given that Broadway doesn't exist anymore?

Regards,
spadix

Last edited by mobike008 : 25th August 2011 at 17:26. Reason: Two smileys only :)
Old 25th August 2011, 17:25   #3640
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The other place I tasted good Chicken Haleem is at "Bismillah Haleem Centre" on road no:10, Banjara hills. A little ahead of the Rainbow Hospital on the same side but again a footpath stall.
I had Mutton Haleem at Bismillah last year and it was quite decent. I passed them last evening and they seem to be sitting idle. Business hasnt been too good for them.

OT: Btw, you seem to be having loads of time on hand, can't think of doing such a thing myself. Posting a google map of where you spotted milecruncher. Couple more such instances will move him to P3 crowd stature
Old 25th August 2011, 17:32   #3641
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
PS: The mirchi bajji(please dont ask me to type in English for this!!) from minerva(Himayathnagar) is another of our family's favourite. Its been quite some time we had it from there. I guess I shall be getting it today in the evening. If I remember correctly, it is served between 6pm and 7pm ONLY!!
Oh yes. I loved the mirchi bajji at Minerva. We spent 5 minutes polishing off the bajjis and about an hour arguing about the differences between a bajji and a pakoda. Calling a bajji a pakoda? Sacrilege
Old 25th August 2011, 18:03   #3642
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I pass through that road every evening on my way back home. Stopped at the paan shop near the stall couple of times but never picked up the Haleem. Will definitely buy it for kids tonight.

Quote:
I said the same thing when CtrlAltDel talked about eating Chicken Haleem couple of years ago (He stopped eating red meat long back) but my kids changed my perception. There is a stall near my house on Road No.3 (Next to the smaller mosque near Police Station) and my kids eat Haleem at that stall almost every day on their way back from Basketball practice at Meridian and they encouraged me to try it. I liked it and while I am not into haleem so much now a days, after that I do eat couple of spoons with them.
Quote:
Daily!nice.
Quote:
I had Mutton Haleem at Bismillah last year and it was quite decent. I passed them last evening and they seem to be sitting idle. Business hasnt been too good for them.
Bismillah Haleem Centre is known for its Chicken Haleem and is pretty popular in B'Hills area. I picked up Haleem from there several times for kids. Even when i was living in Domalguda, my kids used to ask me to take them to Bismillah for chicken haleem / Point Pleasant for mutton haleem. My wife who is not much of a foodie also likes Bismillah haleem.

Mobike: Do try it once. You might just like it.

Had Mutton biryani at Paradise for lunch today. Not my choice. Had a guest from Baroda and like all out-of-towners he believes Paradise is the best. :sigh:

Rice was nice and soft but I did not really relish the masala and the meat. That place is jam packed whenever you go.

Last edited by NoRules : 25th August 2011 at 18:07.
Old 25th August 2011, 18:24   #3643
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thats right ! They are available only during those times and I had it many times but, I still like the ones from a place in Abids which is a small pushcart.
Wifey planning to locate "Maharaja Chaat" in Madhapur. We failed twice earlier to find it. It was not seen in the spot which was there earlier. Else I would have prefered Minverva's Mirchi for today's evening. But I am trying to convince her to go out with her cousins so that I can join you guys before the meet!!

Quote:
Have plans to eat lunch at "Pebbles" on Sunday afternoon. Want to join? I can holler from the restuarant and you can come over....
Not possible this Sunday Avi.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 25th August 2011 at 18:25.
Old 25th August 2011, 19:54   #3644
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Wifey planning to locate "Maharaja Chaat" in Madhapur. We failed twice earlier to find it. It was not seen in the spot which was there earlier.
I visited Maharaja Chaat Bandi last week.

Except Butter Pav with Butter Bhaji, everything else was bad, be it, Aloo-Tikki, Dahi-Paapdi, Gol-Gappe.

Yuck!

I will anyday prefer to eat these chaats from the road side vendor on the left side of S D Road when we from the junction of S D Road and Park Lane towards Paradise.

Why, even the vendor sitting outside Spencer's/Foodworld on Raj Bhawan Road has better taste.

However, my not liking does not mean you should deprive your wife of the chaat, so here you go (Point B is the Bandi) :

Click this hyperlink to get exact location : Road Number 36 to Unknown road - Google Maps

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-chat.jpg

Just now saw newly opened "The Clay Pot" on Road No. 2 on the left side after Jubilee Hills Check Post but before Cream Stone (I think it was adjoining Coco Berry). Looks like he is back in business and this time with an outlet instead of home delivery business. Anyone who checks him first please post feedback whether he has maintained his biryani standard or will he bite the dust soon!

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 25th August 2011 at 19:58.
Old 26th August 2011, 00:01   #3645
BHPian

This is a longish post. Please bear with me.

Quote:

At 40 bucks for a plate it was VFM.
Quote:
I picked up two 40 bucks waale boxes of Royal chicken haleem as I said, reached home, gave the haleem boxes to the kids and went on to take bath. (My kids like the thin gravy most of the haleem joints put in, they say it adds to the spice and I asked Royal guy to be generous with it and onions and go easy on the ghee)

By the time I came back kids transferred the haleem into their fav bowls and asked me whether I wanted to share couple of scoops as I normally do. I was on my way to Gymkhana club and was not really in the mood but did not want to disappoint the kids and sat with them watching score update on ESPN.

Within seconds I realised I was eating the best Haleem I tasted in long long time. I shamelessly took over one bowl and asked my kids to share the other one, devoured all of it and was still hungry for more.

Thanks a million FordManchau and Silverwood for introducing me to this awesome haleem. (I hope it tastes the same when I go back tomorrow evening) I did not care it was not 'Mutton' haleem.

I was always a big big fan of mutton haleem and looked down upon chicken haleem (harees). After eating haleem almost every day of Ramadan season for several years I lost interest in it since last 2 - 3 years and stopped taking those expeditions looking for the best haleem in town. This season was no different and whatever haleem I bought was only for my kids (my elder one is already a major foodie) with me reluctantly tasting it.

Royal haleem changed it all. This haleem, I can actually eat it for dinner. And it is just a stone's throw from my home. The meat was soft and tasty, did not find even one tiny piece of bone in it, haleem just melted in the mouth and the gravy they put in added that extra spicy taste to it. Haleem lovers might look down upon adding the gravy just like how I look down upon people using mirchi ka salan in Hydie biryani but this was good, really good.

I am not exaggerating this:

I had lunch at Paradise (sad) but was a little hungry when I reached home at 7. And once I started eating this haleem, I was actually hoping I can finish mine before my son finishes his and grab it too but we both were scrapping bottoms at the same time and I told myself: there is always tomorrow.
NoRules is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks