Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st September 2011, 23:46   #3736
Team-BHP Support

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Pragati Resorts near Chilkur Balaji Temple.

Had a team outing there. Around 25 members.
We were given access to the wonderful swimming pool area. Initially the folks in-charge said the slide etc were out of order. But a call to the main office, had them starting everything.

We were welcomed with soft drinks (pepsi, fanta)
Lunch was served in a banquet hall.

It was FANTASTIC.
I absolutely loved the food.

The highlights were fried fish (rohu), chicken balls in spinach and stuffed brinjals.

Soup was only Veg. It was not bad.
Roti's were soft and served hot.
There was also some fried rice and cauliflower manchurian.
The waiters did a good job and we were not left waiting at the tables.
Desert was some generic strawberry ice cream. Also acceptable qurbani ka meetha.

There was High Tea served at around 5PM.
Tea and Coffee with Kachori's and Pakaros.

I recommend this venue for team outings. Just be a little firm when they try to say the facilities like the water slides are out of order.

We paid around 600 per person.
Old 22nd September 2011, 07:45   #3737
BHPian

Spencers on Rajbhavan Road
Also called by many as Foodworld as that was its name earlier.
Decided to pick some Godrej Yummiez Chicken Chilli Salami as my son is an absolute fan of them.
Found an offer going on at the store. Excellent. Get the salami free on buying nuggets. To ensure the offer is implemented, the store had taped a packet each of nuggets and salami together.
As a habit when buying any product with a shelf life printed on it, I checked the nuggets and found July 2011 manufacture with 6 months expiry date. So far so good. Next I checked the salami and found February 2011 manufacture with 6 months expiry. Hold on, this means it expired in August and we are in September now.
Okay, so the store has decided to remove the expired salami by making it free with nuggets. Why cannot they return to the vendor? Maybe because the vendor will not want it back as the store failed to sell the stocks in 6 months. Whatever!!!
Here is the apology letter by the store incharge:
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20110922_0707.jpg
I am a big fan of Ratnadeep which is opposite this store and visit this store, maybe, once in six months. Today was one of those days when, due to traffic snarls on the road, I decided to visit this place instead of Ratnadeep.

Claypot near Jubilee Hills Checkpost
I have been a big fan of Claypot biryani since they started the business as a home delivery option from Srinagar Colony.
Having sighted that they have opened an outlet near Jubilee Hills Checkpost on LV Prasad Marg aka Road No. 2 opposite KBR Park next to Cocoberry and before Creamstone and Melting Moments when travelling from Checkpost to Punjagutta side.
Decided to pick up some stuff in the evening but the plans went kaput due to the huge traffic snarls created because of the rumours that petrol pumps are going on a 3 day / indefinite strike.
Drive cancelled so shifted to Plan B and called them up and ordered home delivery from Satish Raju :
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20110922_0705.jpg

Mutton Fry - very very traditional tasting stuff though quantity was less (for me and not in the dish).

Veg Biryani - the amount of whole spices added to the rice was mind boggling. Rice was absolutely juicy and yummy. If I have to eat veg stuff, this is the one. Wish he would use the long grained basmati like Bahar. I have saved the rest of it for my lunch today.

Chicken Pot Biryani - delivered in a clay pot. Nice and certainly spicy and worth having again and again but I am totally spoilt by Bahar. This biryani is Andhra style while Bahar is Irani style. Terrific packing, one has to acknowledge!!!
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20110921_2059.jpg
Regret the poor quality of photographs but am sure you will understand that it is not possible to have patience clicking food and resisting eating it, more like, attacking it.
hyd_traveller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd September 2011, 12:14   #3738
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Next I checked the salami and found February 2011 manufacture with 6 months expiry. Hold on, this means it expired in August and we are in September now.
I've seen this happening at many stores like Food World/Spencers, Big Bazaar, Metro Cash 'n' Carry. I always make sure that I check the expiry date of the product before dunking it into my Trolley.

I've been to Big Bazaar once for some shopping. As I was travelling and wanted to keep some ready to eat food ready, I planned to purchase a few "Ready To Eat Delicacies by Kitchens of India", so that I would have something to eat once back home. I was delighted to see a Buy 1, Get 1 Free offer on the Kitchens of India products but a closer look revealed that they expired good 4 months ago and were stocked up for quick disbursal. The minute I brought this to the notice of the floor manager, the entire stock was moved out of the place and a humble apology later, we were back to our own business.

I happen to visit them again after a week or so and what do I see, the same stock is back in place with a new packing (all the boxes were stuck together and packaged in a plastic cover with Kitchens of India printed on top and people were not even checking the expiry date and buying them off. I again opened the cover to find the boxes to be of the same month of expiry. Then on, I've stopped buying edible stuff from Big Bazaar.

I would rather go to Spar or More Super Store for my shopping rather than going to Spencers/Food World, Big Bazaar.
Old 22nd September 2011, 17:07   #3739
Distinguished - BHPian

Bajaj Saab, those are some tempting pictures from Claypot Biryani. Now you have convinced me to try them this weekend.

Some queries :-

Where is there exact location?

It's but obvious, they dont deliver to my home. Can I do a take-away?

TIA !!!
Old 22nd September 2011, 18:11   #3740
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
I would rather go to Spar or More Super Store for my shopping rather than going to Spencers/Food World, Big Bazaar.
Spar is no different either.I "caught" them once selling expired Lays products and raised quite a bit of stink with even the Pepsico guys coming into the picture.They claim it was oversight,which wasnt convincing,nevertheless its made me extra alert.From all the above posts,looks like expired stuff being sold off the racks seems to be very rampant.

On the topic of Ratnadeep,they most definitely sell the best of stuff but the premium they charge on all things that do not come with a mrp is humongous(read that as vegetables etc)But nevertheless their quality is unmatched.Their latest store is now opening below Talwalkars at East Marreddpally(the same place where food bazaar was earlier).
Old 22nd September 2011, 19:04   #3741
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Now you have convinced me to try them this weekend.

Some queries :-

Where is there exact location?

It's but obvious, they dont deliver to my home. Can I do a take-away?

TIA !!!
Well, nothing to beat Bahar but that is my personal opinion.
OT : Friday dinner for me will be "Double Mutton, Double Masala, Single Biryani" from Bahar with "Pathar Ka Gosht" and "Boti Kabab" from Bade Miyan.

Do a Take Away and if Satish Raju is there, sweet talk him into home delivery for future.
OT : The boy who delivered last night happens to live in the same lane as me (Matrika Hospital lane) so he was very happy to come over for delivery.

Look out for Coco Berry and Clay Pot Boards between Point A and Point B, keep in the 3rd lane (left most) :
L V Prasad Marg to L V Prasad Marg - Google Maps

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Spar is no different either.I "caught" them once selling expired Lays products and raised quite a bit of stink with even the Pepsico guys coming into the picture.They claim it was oversight,which wasnt convincing,nevertheless its made me extra alert.From all the above posts,looks like expired stuff being sold off the racks seems to be very rampant.

On the topic of Ratnadeep,they most definitely sell the best of stuff but the premium they charge on all things that do not come with a mrp is humongous(read that as vegetables etc)But nevertheless their quality is unmatched.Their latest store is now opening below Talwalkars at East Marreddpally(the same place where food bazaar was earlier).
I was once over charged at Spar. The main guy for Andhra Pradesh apologised and later gifted a casserole to my mom to make up for the lapse.

I would be more than happy to pay a premium at Ratnadeep more so for the veggies because the quality deserves it. Observe that their coriander and mint leaves do not shrivel or dry easily.
The only other place I like to buy veggies is at Fresh Mandi on the left side of the road when coming down from Hotel Taj Krishna to RTO, Khairatabad. He is also pretty expensive apart from being the veggie supplier to Q-Mart.

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 22nd September 2011 at 19:05.
Old 23rd September 2011, 06:08   #3742
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1
On the topic of Ratnadeep,they most definitely sell the best of stuff but the premium they charge on all things that do not come with a mrp is humongous(read that as vegetables etc)But nevertheless their quality is unmatched.
+1 - we've been regulars at Ratnadeep ever since they started operations in Vikrampuri. The quality of food grains etc. is outstanding.

If we were to buy vegetables from a supermarket in a pinch, then Ratnadeep is the only store we would consider. However the various Rythu Bazaars are our preferred vegetable shopping joints.

Slightly off-topic (kindly entertain, please!) -

In any case after looking at the eye-popping rates of vegetables in G-town, I would say Ratnadeep is *very* affordable. We used to spend INR 70 per week in Hyd (Rythu Bazaar). This would creep up to around 130 in Ratnadeep. In G-town's equivalent of a Rythu Bazaar we spend close to 200 and this is after curtailing the purchases. Thankfully the quality is brilliant. The shops here, on the other hand, sell shrivelled, withered stuff and the same basket would cost anywhere over INR 300!

And I thought it's only the real estate guys who run cartels/mafias here! :lol

Regards,
spadix
Old 23rd September 2011, 09:12   #3743
Senior - BHPian

@spadix---at least you save on fuel whatever extra you spend on vegetables.

As regards Spar, I too found the rates charged not matching with the offers displayed a couple of times. When I brought it to their notice, they quickly corrected the rate. They are equally cunning when it comes to looting the customers. But I like their layout and the spread of items available there, apart from plenty of parking available there.

Ratnadeep is good, though pricey. But I visit that place only by walk, as parking space is in dearth, and there is a heavy chance of getting fined by the over-eager traffic cops.

Spencers on Raj Bhavan road sells third rate stuff---just take a peek at their ice-cream stock and you will know what I mean. I visit that place only for bread, and nothing else.
Old 23rd September 2011, 10:58   #3744
Senior - BHPian

People,need some reccomendations for a brunch place?Have some guests over and I dont know whats got into their heads but they want to experience a brunch sigh:(
Old 23rd September 2011, 15:19   #3745
BHPian

Just came back from a team lunch at Hideout, Madhapur. This place is to be avoided at all cost- shabby ambiance, average crockery and furniture, below average food and service. There were more waiters "guarding" the food than those refilling it and in the end they didn't serve finger bowls as they ran out of it. The less said about the food the better.
Price 228+

The Wanton, Gachibowli has been reviewed earlier by Nikhil in detail. Went there during the first week of the month for a take away. The ambience was better than I had expected. My take away consisted of Shanghai Fried Rice, Crispy fried corn kernels, Honkong noodles and Hot and sour soup. I found Shanghai fried rice amazing and spicy, highly recommended. It will be a permanent order during my future visits. Soup and crispy corn were okay and Honkong noodles was again very good. The quantities of the items were also good enough for two.

Teez fried chicken- Gachibowli
A copy of KFC or any fried chicken chain for that matter as I find all of them equally bland. They too claim the recipe to be a secret . The taste was nothing special. Same mayo, lettuce and fried chicken. But this guy has a varity in burgers. There are grilled chicken, lamb, double lamb burgers.

Lunch buffet at 45(Rd no 45 Jubliee hills)-
The place around the buffet was a little cramped, but the taste wise the food was good. The spread consisted of a fish fry and a chicken(tandoori style). Both were too good. The main course also consisted of an traditional andhra fish dish(didn't taste) and chicken dish. Chicken and the Biryani were good. Veg looked fine but I tasted only pindi chole which was okay. There wasn't much option in salads and chat etc, though Number of options in dessert were decent again. I tasted only Gulab Jamun. Over all given a chance I would like to visit the place again. Price was about 300 all inclusive. But nothing beats Angeethi in this price range.

Last edited by huntrz : 23rd September 2011 at 15:23.
Old 23rd September 2011, 16:19   #3746
BHPian

Quote:
People,need some reccomendations for a brunch place?Have some guests over
Marriott, Novotel, Westin among others.

Novotel offer includes complimentary swimming, kids activities, tattoos, ice cream on a cycle bandi, henna, many varieties of fish on BBQ and much more. Am sure others also offer similiar stuff.

Issue will be pricing. When I last went to Novotel, it used to be 1400 + 20.09%.
Old 23rd September 2011, 16:27   #3747
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Marriott, Novotel, Westin among others.

Novotel offer includes complimentary swimming, kids activities, tattoos, ice cream on a cycle bandi, henna, many varieties of fish on BBQ and much more. Am sure others also offer similiar stuff.

Issue will be pricing. When I last went to Novotel, it used to be 1400 + 20.09%.
Thanks a ton,are these brunches on offer on saturdays as well?maybe i should just call the hotel myself!
Old 23rd September 2011, 17:31   #3748
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks a ton,are these brunches on offer on saturdays as well?maybe i should just call the hotel myself!
If you can stomach the price, the Westin Sunday brunch is to die for!

See if you can avail a corporate discount. They have some pretty healthy ones. For instance, weekday lunch buffet used to come down to 650 + taxes from 950 + taxes for MSFT employees and at that price it's a borderline steal!

Something tells me Hotel Green Park or Aditya Park Inn etc. (the famous midnight buffet outlets) might just have a hidden gem of a brunch. Worth calling up once to find out.

Regards,
spadix
Old 23rd September 2011, 19:13   #3749
BHPian

Quote:
Novotel (my personal favourite because of the discount I get there) did have a saturday brunch buffet also. Not sure if it is still on. They also have a street food festival going on which means chaat, etc. (and, mind you, it is most horrible food).
Old 24th September 2011, 12:48   #3750
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Well, nothing to beat Bahar but that is my personal opinion.
OT : Friday dinner for me will be "Double Mutton, Double Masala, Single Biryani" from Bahar.
IMO, Bahar biryani is simply overrated. Myself and Nikhil had biryani during one of the haleem meet and found it to be downright horrible. Perhaps, Nikhil can add something to this comment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntrz View Post
The Wanton, Gachibowli has been reviewed earlier by Nikhil in detail. Went there during the first week of the month for a take away. The ambience was better than I had expected. My take away consisted of Shanghai Fried Rice, Crispy fried corn kernels, Honkong noodles and Hot and sour soup. I found Shanghai fried rice amazing and spicy, highly recommended. It will be a permanent order during my future visits. Soup and crispy corn were okay and Honkong noodles was again very good. The quantities of the items were also good enough for two.
Oh! Wanton is one of my favorite place for Chinese. Almost every dish is tasty and reasonably priced and much better ambience than similarly priced chinky restuarants. Must go back again soon.

Thursday after enjoying a lovely evening at HRC where Para Vayu played tribute to my most favorite musicans " Pink Floyd" me, wifey and milecruncher headed to Niagara for dinner

Mutton Masala

They dont have boness mutton dishes. Excellent, spicy taste of the gravy but, the meat was little too bony for my liking. you know less meat and more of bones

Kadai Chicken

Excellent taste combined with their large soft rotis.

I realized mutton dishes should be ordered here with after some thought.

Double Ka Meetha

Just a horribly sweet sugary bread. Yucks!

A few days prior to that, about 10+ TBHPian's went for a midnight buffet to "Hampshire Plaza" in Lakdikapul. Their timings are 11:00pm-2:00am

This was the most horrible buffets that I had in recent times ( And, I had buffet at Green Park just a day before which was as usual,excellent).

Horrible service. Noone to refill the empty bowls

Food taste itself was pathetic especially the ice-cream which tasted like the Famous ice-cream ( dont mean to degrade that one but, same coarse but,much harder type)

Their live counter had Kheema and Pav. Firstly, nobody around to prepare and after following up several times, that gentleman serves it as if its precious gems....ridiculously low quantities

Price was 250 A.I. So thats one thing we cannot complain about

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks