Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2011, 10:09   #3856
Senior - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I wish to eat a nice Pork Vindaloo!

Any pointers where I can get to eat this dish in Hyderabad?
To my knowledge, Pork Vindaloo is not available anywhere in Hyderabad. Few months back I had a chance to savour Mutton Vindaloo at Ambroasia, a restaurant serving Goan cuisine. But the Vindaloo was nothing to talk home about and I guess that's why the restaurant has closed down as well.

I would also like to have Vindaloo (any meat will do) and if one finds it, please let me know.

Cheers
Old 25th October 2011, 10:38   #3857
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
The reason why the meat of Clay Pot was black is it is not a kachchi dum biryani at all. That guy makes pulao style biryani or pakki biryani.

A friend's nikaah day before followed by valima dnner last night. Unbelievably good food and ek dum halki biryani.
I am sorry that I could not understand what you meant by "meat was black because it is not kachchi dum biryani"?

In so far as I have been made to understand, there are 2 types of biryani, one kachchi (of Hyderabad) and one pakki (of Lucknow). Of course, let us not deviate to biryanis of Kolkata, Kerala, etc.

In "kachchi", you marinate the raw meat and layer it at the bottom of the vessel, then layer the half cooked rice and spices and all. Then seal it and cook it in its own "dum".

In "pakki", you marinate and half cook the meat separately. Then you layer the half cooked meat and half cooked rice with spices and all in the vessel. Then seal it and cook it in its own "dum".

The point to be noted is that both of them are "dum" biryani and the difference is only whether the meat is raw or semi-cooked when added to the rice and when given dum.

Pulao is very different from pakki biryani. In pulao, one has to first saute the veggies and then add rice with water and then cook it which may include pressure cooking if in a hurry else slow cooking. Water is the main difference.

I can go on and on but if I stick to this topic, I will start feeling hungry. Since I just arrived in office and am not allowed to leave before noon, cannot sit hungry, so topic closed. Please google or wikipedia biryani and pulao for more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
Last evening i had been to Fishland Restaurant @ Ameerpet and ordered Chicken Dum Biriyani Priced at Rs 160.
The price is 150 + 4% = 156. Add the tip so you paid 160.

What I liked the MOST about Fishland is that he gives 10% discount on take aways (though he charges 3 for packing) so the same biryani works out to 150 including a liberal tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
To my knowledge, Pork Vindaloo is not available anywhere in Hyderabad.
Thanks. My bad. Will have to eat bacon for breakfast to manage.
Old 25th October 2011, 10:54   #3858
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post

The price is 150 + 4% = 156. Add the tip so you paid 160.
The taxes were 14.5%, even i was little surprised to see a small establishment charging so much.

Chicken Biriyani-Rs 150
Sweet lime juice -28

I think the bill was 203 and i paid 220 including tips.
Old 25th October 2011, 16:26   #3859
Distinguished - BHPian

Planning to go to a reasonably priced veg restuarant today evening and places that come to mind are :-

1. Shetra ( Khairtabad and Fordmanchau's fav place)
2. Chillis ( Park Lane)
3. Ohri's Jiva

Let's see where we go finally.....
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2011, 23:41   #3860
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
2. Chillis ( Park Lane)
That restaurant isn't exactly on Park Lane, is it? Or did they open a second branch so close to the existing one near Ramgopalpet PS on MG Road? In any case, I remember liking the neighbouring one (can't remember its name now) more.

In Secunderabad, for vegetarian I still like Tamarind Tree (Yatri Niwas), and I absolutely long for the Ganga Restaurant (atop Asrani near Cherma's, MG Road) of yore. What lovely memories of the place I have from my boyhood and teen days ('80s and '90s)!

Regards,
spadix
Old 25th October 2011, 23:54   #3861
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
That restaurant isn't exactly on Park Lane, is it? Or did they open a second branch so close to the existing one near Ramgopalpet PS on MG Road? In any case, I remember liking the neighbouring one (can't remember its name now) more.

In Secunderabad, for vegetarian I still like Tamarind Tree (Yatri Niwas), and I absolutely long for the Ganga Restaurant (atop Asrani near Cherma's, MG Road) of yore. What lovely memories of the place I have from my boyhood and teen days ('80s and '90s)!

Regards,
spadix
Yeah! There are 2 branches of Chilly's ( my bad, its not a mexican joint) and is located not at Park Lane but in lane of Paradise. Been to both places and good veg stuff and their continental is also quite nice

I fondly remember TT as that was the first place to introduce button idly in our city AFAIK and Aangan was my evening hang-out for many many years
Old 26th October 2011, 10:35   #3862
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Planning to go to a reasonably priced veg restuarant today evening and places that come to mind are :-

1. Shetra ( Khairtabad and Fordmanchau's fav place)
2. Chillis ( Park Lane)
3. Ohri's Jiva

Let's see where we go finally.....
So where did you go finally ?
I think just last week we went to Kshetra again. Surely it will top my list of favourite's. They have introduced a two new starters, the one we tried was Corn veg roll. It was good.
We have been going there since 2005-06 and gladly, that's the place which seems like the time has frozen. Same ambience, same old leisurely service. Same old staff(mostly). We make it a point to sit outside under the trees and enjoy our dinner.
The last time I went to 70mm, I was so apalled by the food and service, we were wondering why didn't we go to Kshetra. It's such an easy choice.
Though we don't visit restaurant that often, but out of 10, 6 times we will go to Kshetra. The other 4 times might be different restaurants but 2 times of it will be Rubaiyat for sure .
Ah!!! sorry for the long post. Happy Diwali!!

Last edited by Fordmanchau : 26th October 2011 at 10:36.
Old 26th October 2011, 17:01   #3863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
The taxes were 14.5%, even i was little surprised to see a small establishment charging so much.

Chicken Biriyani-Rs 150
I just checked the take-away bill of Fishland, Ameerpet and found that they do NOT charge any tax at all compared to 14.5% on eat-in. Hence, the biryani which costs 150 will be billed 172 (150 + 14.5% VAT) if one eats there while it will be billed 138 if you take-away (150 - 10% discount + 3 packing charges). Interesting!!!
Old 27th October 2011, 11:54   #3864
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordmanchau View Post
So where did you go finally ?
I think just last week we went to Kshetra again. Surely it will top my list of favourite's.
Went to Kshetra that evening for dinner and sorry to say, it was not a great experience like we had last time. Service as you rightly said is a bit too liesurely and food quality was strictly average and moreover couldnt sit outside as it was pretty chilly along with a light drizzle

We ordered the following :-

Chinese Starter Platter (Rs. 225) : Assorted chinese snacks

This was downright horrible. The quality was as good as any bandi type chinese.

Tomato Soup (Rs.60) : Though I just tasted, it felt like some thick paste of edible poison

Stuffed Capsicum (Rs.110) : This was good though the gravy had no distinct taste.

Dal Tadka ( Rs.80) was very good

Stuffed Kulchas and Tandoori Rotis were excellent

They took helluva lot of time to get ice for our fresh lime sodas...

Total Bill : Rs. 800 ( including 4% vat, no other charges)

It was an ok'sh experience. Maybe we ordered all the wrong things
Old 28th October 2011, 10:39   #3865
BHPian

If you are around hi tech city area and have the urge for a quick snack i would recommend this tiny little place called 'simpson' which sells burgers.

i tried their lamb burger (double meat) and it was pretty good

this joint is run by some college going kid i guess

good alternate to the mcdonalds/kfc burgers

Rajesh Rawal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 11:26   #3866
Team-BHP Support

After a long time, I revisited Just Paratha's on Banjara Hills Rd 12.

This is a small place, that is essentially take away spot.
But they do have some chairs, if you wish to eat right there.

I picked up Gobi Paratha and Alloo Methi Paratha.
Rs 20 each.

They were tasty and very good VFM.

Gobi: Cauliflower
Allo: Potato
Methi: Kasuri Methi. (Fenugreek)
Old 28th October 2011, 16:23   #3867
BHPian

Need help, last time I requested help, was pointed by members to Angeeti. This time arround I need to take 10 Adults +4 Kids for a Brunch (Buffet Only) this Sunday. The price range Rs. 250 to Rs. 350 (all Inclusive). Areas - Secunderabad, Banjara Hills, Ameerpet, Basheerbagh. Mix of good vegetarian and non-veg. Please suggest. Also please let me know if below restaurants are good;

1. Bhojanam
2. Ohris 100 degrees (I must admit, I am never a fan of any ohris joint)
3. Rayalseema Ruchulu.
Old 28th October 2011, 17:12   #3868
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank View Post
Need help, last time I requested help, was pointed by members to Angeeti. This time arround I need to take 10 Adults +4 Kids for a Brunch (Buffet Only) this Sunday. The price range Rs. 250 to Rs. 350 (all Inclusive). Areas - Secunderabad, Banjara Hills, Ameerpet, Basheerbagh. Mix of good vegetarian and non-veg. Please suggest. Also please let me know if below restaurants are good;

1. Bhojanam
3. Rayalseema Ruchulu.
Momo Cafe, Courtyard by Marriott is running an offer on their Lunch Buffet (check snapdeal). In that deal, it is priced at a decent 390/-. You can give it a try as well.
saikatmandal04 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th October 2011, 18:58   #3869
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
Momo Cafe, Courtyard by Marriott is running an offer on their Lunch Buffet (check snapdeal). In that deal, it is priced at a decent 390/-. You can give it a try as well.
Thanks Saikatmadal04. Just Snapped the Deal for 11. Confirmed over phone with Marriot and did the table reservation.
Old 28th October 2011, 23:01   #3870
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank View Post

1. Bhojanam
3. Rayalseema Ruchulu.

Out of the 3, Bhojanam would be really nice as their food is spread across 4 southern states and their buffet is also quite good. I used to frequent their buffets when they were "Hampi"

100 Degrees buffet is pretty ordinary and that place is a hit only for their sizzlers

RR is not a place for buffet ( Do they even have one?)

Nice you picked up the snapdeal voucher. Please check Snapdeal, Deals and you, Delivore, Sosasta.com on a daily basis as their are yummy deals on eating out almost every day.

Have fun at Momo's
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed