Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 30th October 2011, 22:19   #3871
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajitsank View Post
Thanks Saikatmadal04. Just Snapped the Deal for 11. Confirmed over phone with Marriot and did the table reservation.
Went to Momo Cafe this afternoon. I was a little late(Entered at 2:45 PM), the buffet closes at 3:30 PM. Though the spread was good, but I felt that it was all leftovers. The fish pieces had broken to chunks, the chicken wasn't as fresh the biryani was cold. Probably I missed the time. Had I come by 12:30 - 1 PM I wouldnt have been complaining. The restaurant was all full (courtesy snapdeal). But nevertheless, food was very tasty.

I saw a large group in the center of the restaurant when we entered at 2:50. Could it have been you?
Old 31st October 2011, 11:16   #3872
Senior - BHPian

I had been to 100 degrees on Friday evening for Dinner and ordered a Tandoori Chicken and Bhuna Gosht Sizzler.

The TC Sizzler was amazing but to my dismay, Bhuna Gosht Sizzler disappointed me big time.

It had big chunks of meat which was not properly cooked.

Last edited by mobike008 : 1st November 2011 at 14:03.
Old 31st October 2011, 11:58   #3873
Senior - BHPian

Was at Venky's Xprss the other night.Clean place/clean washroom!Food's average to good.

Very very high on salt content.Something that I disliked.Especially with the government going high on bringing down the salt intake levels,this place would do well to control the salt in their food.

Another downside to the place is that there are no spoons or forks.It becomes a super messy affair to eat the chickens & the burgers as they serve the sauces and mayo in separate containers and there is just no way you can dip your chicken pieces into them beyond a limit!

Overall an ok place,might drop by again for their burger.
Old 31st October 2011, 12:46   #3874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
Guys any suggestions for good veggie eateries in and around Sainikpuri/Alwal etc? I am new to this side of town and I used to go to Shyam Niwas quite often but after moving to Sainikpuri I find that too far away. North Indian is preferred but good South Indian is very welcome as well.

Thanks!
Hey Crisscross. Just wanted to check if Shyam Niwas is good to go with family in the night and is the food good?

Thanks!
Old 31st October 2011, 16:36   #3875
BHPian

Gaurav, All I can say is my brother & I both like the food. It is not the best I have eaten, but amongst the better ones in Hyderabad. The place is clean & decent, but the approach & location is quite down-market. So you will have to figure out for yourself if it is acceptable to you and your family.

Edit: Forgot to add Shyam Niwas is closed on Sunday nights

Last edited by crisscross : 31st October 2011 at 16:38.
Old 31st October 2011, 17:33   #3876
BHPian

Went to The Wonton, Gachibowli for lunch yesterday. After reading so many positive comments here my expectations were pretty high but what I experienced was total disappointment.

Here is what happened:

It was me, my wife and my 2 kids. We were all very hungry as it was 2.30 by the time we reached Wonton.

We started with Spicy Chicken Soup and bottled water. Soup was pretty good and I was happy I drove down all the way from Banjara Hills to Gachibowli for lunch. When I poured the bottled water into the glass, my wife noticed some dust floating in it. I called the waiter and showed it to him - he replaced the glass without so much as apologising.

We then ordered Chilly prawns and Shanghai Chicken. Both the items were served within few minutes but we noticed the Chicken was cold. I called the waiter and asked why the chicken was cold, I got a stupid indifferent grin in return. Taste wise they were both okie dokie. Nothing great.

We then ordered Wonton Chicken fried rice and Chicken in lemon sauce. Before placing the order I specifically asked whether the portion would be sufficient for all of us - post starters and I was told it would be. The Chicken in Lemon sauce was a total disaster - too sweet and too many cashews. The rice portion was inadequate - It was probably 50% of what any other Chinese place would serve.

I called the Captain and told him about the chicken being too sweet filled with too many cashews - I was expecting him to offer to replace it with some other dish but I once again got an indifferent look as reply. After that I did not have patience to order any other dish.

After spending Rs.1100/- I walked out of Wonton feeling as hungry as I was when I entered the place - stopped at Subway on the way back and got couple of Subs for lunch.

Thanks Wonton for spoiling my Sunday. Never again. I will take Nanking any day.

Soup:
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-30102011495.jpg

Shanghai Chicken:
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-30102011496.jpg

Chilly prawns:
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-30102011497.jpg

Chicken in lemon sauce:
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-30102011498.jpg

Wonton fried rice:
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-30102011499.jpg

Bonus: Chicken dramastic and Paper Chicken @ Shah Ghouse, Toli Chowki
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-16102011493.jpg
Old 31st October 2011, 17:41   #3877
BHPian

I would agree on the Wonton hospitality standards really going down.

The staff there cannot manage people and do not understand what customer service/delight is (off late, isnt that really evident in hyderabad, be it malls /electronic stores).

There have been times I have personally gone to the captain/waiter seeking his attention.

Anyways after Mainland China opening up in hi tech city area, there's no more wonton for me.

Last edited by GTO : 1st November 2011 at 14:08. Reason: Please use punctuation and CAPS wherever appropriate. Your original post was an eyesore to read
Old 31st October 2011, 19:04   #3878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules
Went to The Wonton, Gachibowli for lunch yesterday. After reading so many positive comments here my expectations were pretty high but what I experienced was total disappointment.
I'm actually surprised that Wonton enjoyed good reviews here. I ordered a home delivered dinner just once from them some time in 2009/10 and it was a shambles because of the overall sub-par taste, quantity of oil in the food and how all that oil overpowered the taste of everything else.

@RR: Professionalism in service was never a strong point of Nawabi, laid-back Hyderabad! This was true even before the service industry as most people "know" it now came up. Ask all those independent house residents who wanted some plumbing/electrical work done.

Regards,
spadix
Old 31st October 2011, 22:04   #3879
Senior - BHPian

Visited Our Place at Rd # 10, Banjara Hills yesterday after a gap of nearly 2 years.

I was happy to note that the outdoor ambience was still as good as earlier, and the ghazals sung live added to the charm.

Had Veg manchuriia, Tangdi Kababs and Appollo Fish along with beverages, and the quality was top notch.
Old 1st November 2011, 12:32   #3880
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi
Visited Our Place at Rd # 10, Banjara Hills yesterday after a gap of nearly 2 years.

I was happy to note that the outdoor ambience was still as good as earlier, and the ghazals sung live added to the charm.
Our Place is still a "default" option for me if I can't think of something newer that is also good.

I booked a group outing one evening in 2009. We were around 75 people. They struggled to service the huge crowd (in parts unruly as well :P) and I felt the food (fixed menu buffet) was decent, but not 2003-level. We were regular visitors back then as most office outings used to happen there.

The group was very happy with both food and ambience, but not so much with the levels of service. I think they are not used to hosting such large groups, because on a subsequent visit in 2010 with a much smaller group of (albeit different) friends, none of us had any complaints.

This is also the perfect time of the year to enjoy OP, I would say.

Regards,
spadix
Old 1st November 2011, 14:22   #3881
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Hey Crisscross. Just wanted to check if Shyam Niwas is good to go with family in the night and is the food good?

Thanks!
Been to Shyam Nivas (Opp KFC on M.G Road) once for Sunday lunch with bunch of tbhpians and their families. Approach is in a small lane and you walk upstairs into a small restuarant with tables very close to each other and is best if you go for a sunday lunch

Food is neat and clean without being outstanding. I particularly liked their 3-4 different type of small rotis ( wheat, Bajra, Jowar etc) along with a few curries ( most of them non-descript) that were average in taste

What you should indulge in is their Shrikhand which is outstanding and even better than ( Pancharatan which is my favorite for Shrikandh) but, they make only a handful and we didnt get even a single extra to take-away and trust me, a tbhpian Hillram was totally devastated due to its non-availability
Old 1st November 2011, 18:35   #3882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Was at Venky's Xprss the other night.Clean place/clean washroom!Food's average to good.
Overall an ok place,might drop by again for their burger.
Venky Xprss opens new outlet bang opposite Cyber Gateway in Hitec City.
It was being inaugrated yesterday evening (31st) as I as driving past the new outlet.

On another note saw Mainland China getting decked right infront of Shilparamam.
Old 1st November 2011, 18:48   #3883
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Good news,just hope they reduce their salt content and introduce some spoons or forks!
Old 1st November 2011, 19:44   #3884
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
It was being inaugrated yesterday evening (31st) as I as driving past the new outlet.

On another note saw Mainland China getting decked right infront of Shilparamam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Good news,just hope they reduce their salt content and introduce some spoons or forks!
Had my lunch.
CC machines are not yet functional.
No forks or spoons.

The menu board in the background showed ONE veg dish. A burger.
Everything else is chicken.

I liked the tandoori chicken, they served.
My friends had some of the combo's. Everyone was quite happy.

Saw an Optra with a tb sticker outside. Car looked very nice.

Last edited by bblost : 1st November 2011 at 19:49.
Old 2nd November 2011, 12:25   #3885
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Had my lunch.
CC machines are not yet functional.
No forks or spoons.

The menu board in the background showed ONE veg dish. A burger.
Everything else is chicken.

I liked the tandoori chicken, they served.
Last time I visited the Banjara Hills outlet I ate the chicken wings which were liberally quoted with sauce, no spoons or forks. The wash room is located outside and there was no water coming from the taps. Hope they improve soon.

No wonder they do not have many veg dishes considering it is 'VENKYs' express.

I liked the garlic pepper chicken better than the tandoori.

Most Viewed