Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 18th November 2011, 12:31   #3916
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Planning to visit Hyderabad for a couple of days. If there is one restaurant to go for authentic veg food (Andhra style meals with 'poppu' and 'avakkai') which one would it be? Most options in this thread are non-veg focussed.

PS: would be staying near railway station
Old 18th November 2011, 12:41   #3917
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvish View Post
Planning to visit Hyderabad for a couple of days. If there is one restaurant to go for authentic veg food (Andhra style meals with 'poppu' and 'avakkai') which one would it be? Most options in this thread are non-veg focussed.

Which railways station? We have 3 of them. Kacheguda, Nampally and Secunderabad
Old 18th November 2011, 14:18   #3918
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Which railways station? We have 3 of them. Kacheguda, Nampally and Secunderabad
Oops we are staying near Secunderabad station
Old 18th November 2011, 14:39   #3919
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Quote:
To be honest, i dont think we Hydeez will be of much help to you in your quest of Andhra Meals.

However, You may find one or two decent joints near Paradise.

Last edited by SILVERWOOD : 18th November 2011 at 14:47.
SILVERWOOD is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 14:53   #3920
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Option 1:Kuchipudi restaurant inside Katriya Hotel off Raj Bhavan Road in Somajiguda.Priced at around 200/-.Steep but yummy and spicy.

Option 2:Rayalseema Ruchulu outlets.I think they serve a veg thali.
www.rayalseemaruchulu.com

Option 3:You might get directed to Abhiruchi near Paradise,but my reccomendation would be to not go there.Its a dirtier version of the Nandinis that you find in Bangalore.
ranjitp1 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 17:19   #3921
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Option 3:You might get directed to Abhiruchi near Paradise,but my reccomendation would be to not go there.Its a dirtier version of the Nandinis that you find in Bangalore.
Quote:
You wont find any decent Andhra meals on that side of the town. Abhiruchi is the only one and if you sit in their AC section its nice. The outside section is not so clean

I still think Abhiruchi is the closest restuarant that you can get decent authentic Andhra meal. Rice with gun-powder and gongura chutney with ghee poured on top is enough to go bonkers over. Sigh! I have stopped eating such heavy-duty "meals" long ago

For NV eaters, their mutton fry is to die for.....

Couple more options which are a bit far away from Sec'bad railway station :-

Option 2 : Southern Spice on Road No.3 Banjara Hills. Excellent Meals

Option 3: Spicy Venue in Jubilee Hills. Supposedly a benchmark for Andhra grub for folks on that part of town
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th November 2011, 17:40   #3922
Senior - BHPian

Subway - Raj Bhavan Road: Stay Away

Went to Subway Raj Bhawan Road for breakfast today and ordered a bacon and egg sub which I later changed to a foot long. The menu display says Rs.100 for the sub and if you make it a foot long, its Rs 70 extra.

While billing the guy at the counter bills me Rs.200 and on pointing the display notice board, he is awestruck and says the provision is not there in the billing system. I had to tell the guy at the counter a bit sternly "Fault in the billing system was their problem" for him to return the 30 bucks.

Overall bad service and staff attitude.

Will be staying away and frequenting the Nagarjuna Circle outlet.

Cheers
Old 19th November 2011, 12:32   #3923
BHPian

Has anyone been to Cuba Libre in GVK One mall? Do they serve beef steaks?
Old 19th November 2011, 12:37   #3924
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Went to Subway Raj Bhawan Road for breakfast today and ordered a bacon and egg sub which I later changed to a foot long. The menu display says Rs.100 for the sub and if you make it a foot long, its Rs 70 extra.

While billing the guy at the counter bills me Rs.200 and on pointing the display notice board, he is awestruck and says the provision is not there in the billing system. I had to tell the guy at the counter a bit sternly "Fault in the billing system was their problem" for him to return the 30 bucks.

Overall bad service and staff attitude.

Will be staying away and frequenting the Nagarjuna Circle outlet.

Cheers
Raj Bhavan outlet is the worst of the subway branches imho.the staff is just so detached and when you tell them to fill the sub with veggies,they give you a look which makes you feel if they are giving you the subs free?

Nagarjuna outlet is the best of the lot in Hyd.SD Road used to be good,but now even they have gone down the drain.They told me the other day that only cucumber,tomato,bread and salt and pepper come by default with the sub,the rest are all available only on demand.I stopped going there after that response.Nagarjuna staff are the best and have no qualms about making the sub the way you want
Old 19th November 2011, 13:24   #3925
Senior - BHPian

The Buffet-GVK Mall-A complete Disaster and a shame

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Yesterday's Times Of India carried an advertisement announcing the opening of "The buffet" on 5th floor of GVK One Mall on Road No. 1, Banjara Hills. Tel.: 040 6776 7121 / 7122 / 92 461 52424.

They have priced lunch & dinner at Rs. 249 and I assume that the price does not include VAT, Service Tax and also Service Charge (I have assumed though not sure).

Cuisines included are Continental, Mexican, Chinese, Thai, Italian, Indian and a lot more. Hopefully this does not mean one dish each from the cuisines to justify naming them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Has anyone been to Cuba Libre in GVK One mall? Do they serve beef steaks?
Decided to try The Buffet on level 5,gvk mall.Khansaab/The Buffet/Cuba Libre are all owned and managed by the same group Apex Sol Kitchens (www.askpl.in)

Access:

First things first,access to the restaurant is a tedious one,if you try to go there from the mall.You need to take the escalator/mall elevator till the food court level.Then go towards the washroom side near the food court and take another set of elevators to the 5th floor.Then once you exit the elevators,one needs to walk another fair distance to this restaurant.The restaurant is next door to Cuba Libre & Khansaab.

I got the feeling that I was going to attend a marriage in a banquet hall as we walked the unending walk towards the restaurant.If my hunch is right,this indeed was a banquet hall or atleast was built with that in mind and then whatever happened,it got converted into these many restaurants.

Interiors

The insides have been done up quite ok.The advertisement of "view of the lake" is quite misleading.The tables are quite far away from the window.So yes technically there is a view,but nothing to be bragging about it.I found it hillarious when I found a lady who apparently too had read the thing about the view trying to stand next to the window and telling her husband"there that is the view they were talking about in the paper"

Service

Service is pathetic(or rather service-what is that?)The place like I mentioned earlier is just a banquet hall turned into a restaurant.They put on us onto a table that wasnt cleaned after the previous guest left,this when the place wasnt even half full.Water came half way through the meal.

The buffet table was a mess and none of the containers were being refilled.By the time we left at 10,it was just leftover in the vessels.

Menu & Selection

Hardly any desserts except for two pastries and a gulab jamun.The gulab jamun took the cake!!Literally.The 1st filling of gulab jamuns were hot and warm.When that got over and they refilled it,and when we happened to take one of them from the second refill,we find they are ice cold.It is quite apparent that they forgot to microwave heat it when they got it from the refrigerators.The macaroni was half cooked.There is nothign of a world cuisine there.Biriyani had just rice in it,absolutely no meat pieces.No rotis came even though we were told it was coming.It never came in the entire 1hr that we were there.The coldest chinese dishes we ever had.Corn starch(flour)when cold is just impossible to eat.The so called supervisor tells us that the hot plates werent working so the dishes are cold.

Value for Money

In short the place is just rubbish and a total waste of time.We paid a princely INR 824 for two for eating precisely nothing.To me this place is just to make money and to push down the leftovers of Khansaab.The kitchen is in level 3 or 4.Food is brought in plates and dumped onto the buffet counter as and when things get over.The only problem was that after a while the staff got so tired doing the walking up and down that nothing was getting refilled.All this around 930pm when it isnt even close to closing time and with the restaurant filled to just 50% of its capacity

My view:

All the talk of world cuisine is just an eyewash.Thai Red curry,thai green curry,fried rice,drums of heaven,pasta bolognese & biriyani rice hardly qualifies to be world cuisine.Best part,customers all began to get agitated and there was nobody in a managerial level to come out and talk to the customers.The names of the dishes were all wrongly spelt and were written in a very shoddy manner(hand written).Does not give out any impression.

Considering that this place is targetting the Jubilee/Banjara crowd I dont see this place having any future,when there are so many other places which run the buffet show in a much more organised and efficient and well mannered way at prices to match.

What took the cake was the "pineapple Souffe" which when we ate realised that it was "Mango Souffe".So much for their co-ordination.

My sincere advise would be to give the place a total miss and instead stick to the tried and tested places which are plenty in Hyderabad.
ranjitp1 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 19th November 2011, 15:03   #3926
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Raj Bhavan outlet is the worst of the subway branches imho.the staff is just so detached and when you tell them to fill the sub with veggies,they give you a look which makes you feel if they are giving you the subs free?

Nagarjuna outlet is the best of the lot in Hyd.SD Road used to be good,but now even they have gone down the drain.They told me the other day that only cucumber,tomato,bread and salt and pepper come by default with the sub,the rest are all available only on demand.I stopped going there after that response.Nagarjuna staff are the best and have no qualms about making the sub the way you want
The subway in the canteen of Vega block in Ascendas IT Park (a.k.a. VBIT Park) is also good. Of course, one needs a visitor's pass to enter the complex if one does not work there.
Old 19th November 2011, 19:18   #3927
Team-BHP Support

Today while I was shopping, stumbled across a cart selling fruits.

Picked up the local stuff like ber and gaingul along with the more common sapotta (chickoo) and papaya.

Since this is a eating out in Hyderabad thread. Was wondering how many people have eaten gainguls. English name is Palm Roots.

These are also available in parts of Tamil Nadu.

A bunch of 5 roots costs around Rs 10.
These roots are cooked in a slow fire and sold ready to eat. All you need to do its wash them well after removing the skin. Then break it and keep removing the outside thick fibers. The roots is however an acquired taste. I love it. Some people like to eat it with raw coconut.

Falsa is a type of berry I have only seen in Hyderabad. Its usually made into a juice. But the berry is also quite tasty.
Old 19th November 2011, 20:12   #3928
Senior - BHPian

Falsa is endemic to north India. Summer fruit usually sold cold, tastes sweet and sour. The usual welcome cry of the vendor is "Thandey meethey faalsey, bade rasiley faalsey" brings the kids out running. Really nice to eat whole crunching down on the small pit. Yumm - miss it in Bangalore.
Old 19th November 2011, 20:17   #3929
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Today while I was shopping, stumbled across a cart selling fruits.

Picked up the local stuff like ber and gaingul along with the more common sapotta (chickoo) and papaya.

Since this is a eating out in Hyderabad thread. Was wondering how many people have eaten gainguls. English name is Palm Roots.

These are also available in parts of Tamil Nadu.

A bunch of 5 roots costs around Rs 10.
These roots are cooked in a slow fire and sold ready to eat. All you need to do its wash them well after removing the skin. Then break it and keep removing the outside thick fibers. The roots is however an acquired taste. I love it. Some people like to eat it with raw coconut.

Falsa is a type of berry I have only seen in Hyderabad. Its usually made into a juice. But the berry is also quite tasty.
Can you please post pics? I might know them by different (Bengali) names..
If not, would like to try them out next time I am in Hyderabad.
Old 20th November 2011, 11:08   #3930
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The subway in the canteen of Vega block in Ascendas IT Park (a.k.a. VBIT Park) is also good. Of course, one needs a visitor's pass to enter the complex if one does not work there.
MS campus has 2 Subway outlets and excellent in their service. They keep filling the stuff till your heart's content.

Falsa Juice is one of my all time favorite juice and I still occasionally have it when I visit Mozamjahi market when on a fruit buying spree.....I even enjoy eating that fruit as well.

Most Viewed