Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 16th June 2012, 23:44   #4471
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Well when everyone is talking about Non-Veg fare, I am sorry to hijack the thread with some nice veg treats.

Wife wanted some Chat/Pav Bhaji for dinner. That's when I remembered who else other than our own hydtraveller can guide me. Called him around 5 pm and his words were, getting good Pav-Bhaji in Hyderabad is tough, however he gave me 2 options. (Didn't I tell the same to my wife. That there is no Sardar Pav-Bhaji wala here).

Well went to Gokul Chat Bhandar after ages and most of the items were pretty good. Just that the Pani Puri was not as good as Santosh Bhai in Madhapur (he sits outside Bharat Cars)

The Ragda Pattice, Dahi Kachori, Bhel and Mirchi Bhajiya were preety good.
Old 16th June 2012, 23:56   #4472
BHPian

[quote="gauravdgr8"

Wife wanted some Chat/Pav Bhaji for dinner. That's when I remembered who else other than our own hydtraveller can guide me. Called him around 5 pm and his words were, getting good Pav-Bhaji in Hyderabad is tough, however he gave me 2 options. (Didn't I tell the same to my wife. That there is no Sardar Pav-Bhaji wala here).
[/QUOTE]

Isn't Maharaja chat guy an excellent option for pav?
Old 17th June 2012, 00:04   #4473
BHPian

[quote="xydon"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by "gauravdgr8"

[/QUOTE

Isn't Maharaja chat guy an excellent option for pav?
Maharaja chat is in secunderabad and i rate bin one of the best in twin cities.
Old 17th June 2012, 00:37   #4474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak
Maharaja chat is in secunderabad and i rate bin one of the best in twin cities.
Maharaja chat is in Madhapur. In the lane adjacent to talwarkars (Madhapur PS).

Are we talking about the same guy?
Old 17th June 2012, 00:40   #4475
BHPian

Had the Sarvi mutton biryani for late dinner and it was as good as my kids praised or may be more.

The rice was well cooked, flavorsome, with good amount of masala, the meat was cooked the way I like it - just tough enough to offer some resistance when eaten - not the pulpy melting type. I would have preferred if the masala and meat were a little more spicy but no complaints. Will go back again and again to Sarvi for kebabs and biryani.
Old 17th June 2012, 00:43   #4476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon View Post
Maharaja chat is in Madhapur. In the lane adjacent to talwarkars (Madhapur PS).

Are we talking about the same guy?
The one I am talking has his stall outside Bharat Cars on Madhapur main road, just beside country oven.

I personally feel that the Maharaj guy in Madhapur is way overrated. Did not find any item on his menu which suited our palette. Have definately tasted much better. On a scale of 1-5, where 5 being the best, I would rate him 0. Visited him just once.

And sorry, I called Traveloholic and not hyd-traveller for guidance.
Old 17th June 2012, 05:24   #4477
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
The one I am talking has his stall outside Bharat Cars on Madhapur main road, just beside country oven.

I personally feel that the Maharaj guy in Madhapur is way overrated. Did not find any item on his menu which suited our palette. Have definately tasted much better. On a scale of 1-5, where 5 being the best, I would rate him 0. Visited him just once.

And sorry, I called Traveloholic and not hyd-traveller for guidance.

Sorry then about the confusion, but the guy I am talking about is in the lane next to(Just ahead) of Ramgopalpet PS, he has one shop on the left side after we take a left turn from main road and a little ahead on the right side he has is Pav Bhaji and 2 shops ahead is his Pani puri shop. This guy is supposed to be one of the best in town. Please taste yourself once and provide your reviews.
Old 17th June 2012, 11:13   #4478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Sorry then about the confusion, but the guy I am talking about is in the lane next to(Just ahead) of Ramgopalpet PS, he has one shop on the left side after we take a left turn from main road and a little ahead on the right side he has is Pav Bhaji and 2 shops ahead is his Pani puri shop. This guy is supposed to be one of the best in town. Please taste yourself once and provide your reviews.
Hey Gadgetfreak, please PM me your details. Would like to understand the exact location of the shop. I also know of a couple of shops near the same area who have some very nice Samosas and Kachoris.
Old 18th June 2012, 11:47   #4479
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gauravdgr8 View Post
Wife wanted some Chat/Pav Bhaji for dinner.
You should try Mayur Pan Shop guy's chat items. I have had chat at all their 3 outlets

1. Boggulkunta
2. Sikh Village
3. Minister Road

I would rate the original outlet at Boggulkunta as their best. Infact, there is another pav bhaji outlet behind Mayur paan shop who makes pav bhaji pune style ( if you know what i mean)

There grilled sandwiches are also awesome.

Next to MPS, there is another outlet that serves Kachi Dabeli and lot of other items which is very good. On sunday evenings, the entire marwari community of begum bazar can be found there

I like Gokul Chaat only for their Mirchi Bajji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetfreak View Post
Sorry then about the confusion, but the guy I am talking about is in the lane next to(Just ahead) of Ramgopalpet PS, he has one shop on the left side after we take a left turn from main road
Yeah, he makes some good chat. Had it there many times. That lane use to lead to the Pete's Distributor in Hyderabad ( Golecha and Sons) and I used to go there often to meet them. Now they moved to lane next to KIMS.
Old 18th June 2012, 12:01   #4480
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
You should try Mayur Pan Shop guy's chat items. I have had chat at all their 3 outlets
My only grouse with all the chaat guys in Hyd is that they are a bit wee too customised to the local palate maybe? and thereby they have killed the original taste and palate.No harm in serving up what runs and what people like,but I think the original ones also must peacefully coexist

Almost all the panipuri guys in Hyd serve up only puchkas.Non of them use the ragda filling in their puris.Puchkas are more popularly found or rather only exclusively found in Kolkota with their Aloo & black channa filling.I personally dislike them and am a great fan of the ragda filling which is common in the Delhi,Mumbai,Indore etc.Even Bangalore only serves up Puchkas.

Do post in here if anybody has come across a pani puri guy serving authetntic ragda filled panipuris.I once asked a guy in Mumbai as to if he;s interested in coming to Hyderabad and setting up and he told me that Hyd is monopolised by the puchka guys that its difficult to set base here.I dont think thats quite the case.Introduce something new and am sure it would take off as long as its sincere.The perfect example being the falooda bandis at Karkhana and neighbouring areas.

The perfect example of how people appreciate a change in palate can be seen at the following two places:

1.Rajdhani-The rush is true testament that different and new things do run in Hyd.In May I tried to get a place for lunch there on three weekends(Fri to Sat)and all three occasions the rush has been overflowing onto the pavement

2.The Falooda guys at Karkhana,Trimulgherry,DPS Diamond Point.The rush at these three bandis is humongous and their faloodas and kulfis are so very different from the ones that one tends to get elsewhere in Hyd.

NB:Intention is definitely not to belittle any regional palates or sensitivities

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 18th June 2012 at 12:04.
Old 18th June 2012, 12:49   #4481
BHPian

Went to Momo Cafe courtyard,Marriott yesterday to binge on food after being on diet for almost 3 months now .The ambience was good , service was impeccable ,food was almost bland however dessert section was good .Happened to meet the chef on duty and turned out to be a tamilian , he instantly prepared some good sambar , rasam , kheer for us .wife enjoyed it a lot . Had got 2 vouchers from Deals & you , paid 900 for two of us and kids were not charged .

Will go back for their service however food was a dampener.

Any suggestion for a good Brunch option
Old 18th June 2012, 12:53   #4482
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Went to Momo Cafe courtyard,Marriott yesterday to binge on food after being on diet for almost 3 months now .The ambience was good , service was impeccable ,food was almost bland however dessert section was good .Happened to meet the chef on duty and turned out to be a tamilian , he instantly prepared some good sambar , rasam , kheer for us .wife enjoyed it a lot . Had got 2 vouchers from Deals & you , paid 900 for two of us and kids were not charged .

Will go back for their service however food was a dampener.

Westin advertises their brunches in a big way,however would be super expensive.Taj Banjara also has a brunch offer ongoing.Aditya Sarovar Premiere at Gachibowli also has a brunch.The hotel is excellent,I can vouch for that and so are the items that come out of their kitchen.
Old 18th June 2012, 13:00   #4483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Westin advertises their brunches in a big way,however would be super expensive.Taj Banjara also has a brunch offer ongoing.Aditya Sarovar Premiere at Gachibowli also has a brunch.The hotel is excellent,I can vouch for that and so are the items that come out of their kitchen.
I liked the brunch at Westin. I guess they charge around 1200 per person (that was an year ago).

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

1. Boggulkunta
2. Sikh Village
3. Minister Road
There was a Pav Bhaji guy at Chirag Ali Lane. He was good at it. I'm not sure if he is still there!

Note from Mod : Back to back posts. This is final warning. Next time you will receive another infraction. Please read the rules of the board before proceeding. Thanks !!!

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th June 2012 at 13:21. Reason: Rule 5b
Old 18th June 2012, 15:46   #4484
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rm_arjuna View Post
Most 5-Star buffet and banquet food tend to be bland.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Westin advertises their brunches in a big way,however would be super expensive.Taj Banjara also has a brunch offer ongoing.Aditya Sarovar Premiere at Gachibowli also has a brunch.
Can you give a more detailed review on Taj Banjara. I heard they are removing the word "Banjara" soon but do not know what will be the new suffix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by xydon View Post
I liked the brunch at Westin.
Note from Mod : Back to back posts. This is final warning. Next time you will receive another infraction. Please read the rules of the board before proceeding. Thanks !!!
Xydon : What are you upto? Careful please!

Okay, back to the topic :

Novotel at Hitex has good sunday brunches.

1) At their coffee shop called The Square :

http://www.dineatnovotelhyderabad.co...day-brunch.jpg

http://www.dineatnovotelhyderabad.co...esco-popup.jpg

The Square buffet includes BBQ / Grills with a large variety of chicken / fish / crab / pork / beef / corn on cob and many other veggies, many live stations serving different dishes apart from the regular 5 star food. They also have ample activities for the kids to enjoy the day.

2) At their Mexican outlet called La Cantina :

http://www.dineatnovotelhyderabad.co...lsa-brunch.jpg

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 18th June 2012 at 15:49.
Old 18th June 2012, 20:31   #4485
BHPian

This must count as my first post on this thread though, I am a self-confessed foodie.

I follow this thread fairly regularly enough to know all the key foodie suspects in HYD and their loyalties, by now

Ok - to get to the point, was at "Kerala Kitchen" on the opp side of the road to the much-favoured "Hadippa" a few days ago and absolutely loved the authentic Kerala food. We had the veg thali, appams, stew, korma, kerala parotta .... and it was all very delicious, very authentic. At the initial stages of my career, some 13-14 years back, I was working in Kochi for a few months - and the taste of 'Kerala Kitchen' brought back memories of some really good home-style Kerala cuisine !

Highly recommended ... and more posts to follow on this thread !

Most Viewed