Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd August 2012, 14:11   #4741
Senior - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Folks,

Would like to go for brunch on Saturday. Any special recommendations?

Cheers
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:18   #4742
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Ebony has an all inclusive offer for Rs.888 for lunch/dinner. Check the dealsandyou website.
Old 2nd August 2012, 15:38   #4743
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Zurna Combo
Thanks Imran.
Here is the image which got missed in my last post :
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-zurna.jpg
Quote:
Would like to go for brunch on Saturday
Novotel introduced a nice brunch on saturdays. Not sure if they still continue with it.
Old 2nd August 2012, 20:39   #4744
BHPian

2012 saw a huge change in my schedules and the way I loitered out for Haleem Eating Sessions post office. Haleem Eating Season kicked off with the onset of Ramzan and these are the outlets I visited to satiate those taste buds.

1. 555, Masab Tank – 6 visits
2. Shahghouse, Toli Chowki – 2 visits
3. Sarvi, Mehdipatnam – 1 visit
4. Shadab, Madina – 2 visits
5. Hyline, King Kothi – 1 visit
6. Hotel Sohail, Malakpet – 2 visits
7. Hotel Sham, Malakpet – 1 visit

Detailed review will come up soon.
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:00   #4745
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post

I am not happy with number of times i ate haleem. Its too few.

My visits till date is as follows :-

1. 555, Masab Tank – 1 visits
2. Bahar, Basheerbagh – 2 visit
3. Shadab, Madina – 1 visits
4. Hyline, King Kothi – 1 visit
5. Pakwaan, Lakdikapul- 1 Visit

I think we should have a haleem meet pronto to change this low count
Old 3rd August 2012, 15:37   #4746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
1. 555, Masab Tank – 1 visits
2. Bahar, Basheerbagh – 2 visit
3. Shadab, Madina – 1 visits
4. Hyline, King Kothi – 1 visit
5. Pakwaan, Lakdikapul- 1 Visit
1. 555, Masab Tank
2. Bahar, Hyderguda
3. City Light, RP Road Ghasmandi Junction, near Bible House, Secunderabad (included one pepsi)
4. Novotel, Hitec-City (as part of the saturday night buffet menu)
5. Paradise, Secunderabad
6. Sarvi, Banjara Hills Road No. 1
7. Zurna, Raj Bhawan Road, Somajiguda

The best was Bahar followed closely by Sarvi (90/-). Bahar scores another point for being the cheapest @ 70/-.

City Light (90/-) was horror of horrors while Zurna (100/-) had a nice layer of "Dalda" - yuck.

Found a lump of coagulated wheat in 555 (90/-) and a marrow bone in Paradise (90/- or 95/-).

Novotel (1,900/- less 50% discount) was just like any food tastes at any 5-star.
Old 3rd August 2012, 22:20   #4747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008

It was nice but, not a place i would go regularly.

P.S: Actually, it was a wrong idea to go there to celebrate a birthday as we were served food so fast that our dinner was over in < 15 mins and felt like we were having food at home considering the simplicity of the food. I think this place is best enjoyed on normal days.

Anways, I am not going back there anytime sooner

Finally, the much talked about RAJDHANI Thali conquered
Don't know of Hyderabad but the Delhi Rajdhani has changed hands recently and is worse for it. Earlier it used to be the only veg place I would go to in Delhi other than Murthal parathas.
Of course the fact that I like sweet Gujju food probably helped.
Old 4th August 2012, 11:54   #4748
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinkara View Post
Don't know of Hyderabad but the Delhi Rajdhani has changed hands recently and is worse for it. Earlier it used to be the only veg place I would go to in Delhi other than Murthal parathas.
Of course the fact that I like sweet Gujju food probably helped.
Well, I too love Murthal Paranthas and normally i am up north once a year and never fail to have them.

Rajadhani food is typical gujju fare and will be enjoyed by anyone who likes their food with a sweet tinge.

I dont. Therefore, I didnt quite enjoy it !!!
Old 6th August 2012, 14:18   #4749
BHPian

Where all should a foodie tourist in Hyderabad eat?

I will be driving down to Hyderabad from Bangalore during the middle of august and being a foodie and hard-core non-vegetarian, I was looking for the top 5-10 places I should visit in Hyderabad to eat.

I am looking for eateries/food items unique to Hyderabad that I won't find elsewhere or made better than in any other place (e.g. haleem, biriyani, kababs etc.). I'm not interested in chain restaurants / 5-star dining etc. Value for money street food, as long as it is hygienic/safe/suitable to take wife and kids, will occupy centre stage in the eating agenda.

As there are 300+ pages in this thread, I would be grateful if someone can summarise the list of must-eat places in Hyderabad or provide a link to the post, if this has already been done.

Last edited by anoop.mathew : 6th August 2012 at 14:20. Reason: Clarification
Old 6th August 2012, 15:04   #4750
BHPian

Pork seems to have shot through the roof in Hyderabad. Pork based Ham, Salami & Sausage (Bacon not available so no idea) are now all priced between 250 and 300 per kilo, at par with the prices for Chicken based Ham, Salami & Sausage.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Ebony has an all inclusive offer for Rs.888 for lunch/dinner.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Novotel introduced a nice brunch on saturdays. Not sure if they still continue with it.
So where did you brunch last saturday? How was it? How much did it cost?
Old 6th August 2012, 17:51   #4751
BHPian

Re: Where all should a foodie tourist in Hyderabad eat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by anoop.mathew View Post
being a foodie and hard-core non-vegetarian, I was looking for the top 5-10 places I should visit in Hyderabad to eat.
Visit Shadab near Charminar for typical old city breakfast of paya, zabaan, kheema, sheermal and khichdi;

Shahghouse, Tolichowki / 555, Masabtank for haleem

Kakatiya Deluxe mess for andhra meals, mutton fry, mutton curry, kheema fry and prawns fry;

Southern Mirchi or Southern Spice, Banjara Hills / Spicy Venue, Jubilee Hills for upmarket Andhra thaali with fish fry / quail fry / naatu kodi iguru or curry; you can also try the chicken biryani / natu kodi pulao at Southern Mirchi;

Hotel Green Park for their midnight biryani / haleem / kheema pao;

Megacity for sambar rice;

Kritunga, Erramanzil for raagi mudda, jonna rotte, rayalaseema mutton curry, naatu kodi curry;

Hotel Indu Deluxe, near Assembly for meals, kheema fry, mutton fry or Hotel Rajdoot for meals, ulava charu and bommadala pulusu;

Dinehill, Masabtank for grilled chicken, arabic tandoori chicken, mutton biryani;

Abhiruchi, near Paradise circle for meals and mutton fry;

All these are tried and tasted and come strongly recommended. Also do try the Paradise and give your opinion about their biryani. Most of us Hyderabadis believe it sucks and is all hype but there are a few among us who believe it is good. Would like to know what you think.

Will add more options later.
Old 6th August 2012, 18:40   #4752
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
All these are tried and tasted and come strongly recommended. Also do try the Paradise and give your opinion about their biryani. Most of us Hyderabadis believe it sucks and is all hype but there are a few among us who believe it is good. Would like to know what you think.

Will add more options later.
Thanks a lot for the recommendations, NoRules. Should keep me busy for the 4 days I have there.

Will check out Paradise as well. Even I've heard conflicting reports about it. I understand there are multiple configuration options for the Paradise biriyani - double meat, double masala etc. What is the recommended configuration if I like my biriyani spicy?

Any recommendations for places selling beef or buffalo seekh kababs?

Also, in Delhi I had this breakfast dish called Nihari or Nahari. Is this available in Hyderabad as well? Haven't found it yet in Bangalore.

Last edited by anoop.mathew : 6th August 2012 at 18:42.
Old 7th August 2012, 09:56   #4753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
All these are tried and tasted and come strongly recommended.
I've captured all the restaurants mentioned above in this Google Map. Could the experts please check and verify if I've got everything right?

Also, there were too many hits for Megacity in Hyderabad, so couldn't figure out which one was the right one.

Finally, which would be the best way to reach these restaurants? If I take my car, will parking be available or is it best to take an auto/taxi? Can I take my car halfway (from Kondapur) and park it at a mall or something and go the rest of the way by auto? If so, which is the closest mall?

Last edited by anoop.mathew : 7th August 2012 at 09:56. Reason: Added URL to Google Maps
Old 7th August 2012, 11:03   #4754
BHPian

Quote:
I've captured all the restaurants mentioned above in this Google Map. Could the experts please check and verify if I've got everything right?

Also, there were too many hits for Megacity in Hyderabad, so couldn't figure out which one was the right one.

Finally, which would be the best way to reach these restaurants? If I take my car, will parking be available or is it best to take an auto/taxi? Can I take my car halfway (from Kondapur) and park it at a mall or something and go the rest of the way by auto? If so, which is the closest mall?
Hi @anoop.mathew

You would first need to come up with the detailed agenda. Lunch/Dinner/?. Biriyani/Haleem/Andhra Fare/?

In the holy month of Ramadan, things change in Hyderabad(atleast in muslim restaurants/neighborhoods). Haleem is usually available after 4 pm & the fare(Pista House/Shah Ghouse/etc) are available even at Kondapur. You may not need to visit old city if you are looking at haleem. But it is definitely worth the visit if you can make time ! Old City is in glittering glory these days !

Correct me Hydeez, Is this a good month to enjoy breakfast items in Hyderabad ? I doubt anything would be available, particularly in the old city.

Apologies to drub your interest, but wanted to be realistic. Some of the fare is pretty heavy on the stomach for starters. Hoping you are a genuine food-a-holic as shown by your interest !

As regards your map:
There are several outlets of famous eateries. For Eg. @NoRules mentioned about Shah Ghouse, Tolichowki - Your map shows another location.
I have seen and eaten at one Kakatiya Deluxe Mess in Ameerpet. - Your map shows the Dilsukhnagar location.
Hotel Green Park, Southern Mirchi & Shadab looks good to me. I have'nt visited the other locations. (Pains of being a local.)

There is a Paradise very near Kondapur. Just FYI. Though it is not the best(strictly my opinion), it is worth a try.
Some of my friends vouch for Paradise. I more of like a 'off the charts' 'Prince Hotel' in Mehdipatnam for the VFM, non-greasy food. It depends on your taste buds I guess.

On the car parking, I do not see any issues. Most outlets usually have some sort of jugaad for parking. Only caution : Do Not Get Lost (with car - itz worse). After 7 yrs I am yet to know most of the old city roads. Considering, I found the Old Chennai and Bangalore easy to navigate !

Enjoy your visit !

Cheers, D

Quote:
Any recommendations for places selling beef or buffalo seekh kababs?
EDIT: 'Bada Ka' as in Bada ka Biriyani, Haleem, etc means Beef. Most Beef items would be mentioned as 'Mutton'(even on menu cards) - just that it is 'Bada Ka'.

Last edited by DieselDon : 7th August 2012 at 11:17.
Old 7th August 2012, 12:34   #4755
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDon View Post
Hi @anoop.mathew

You would first need to come up with the detailed agenda. Lunch/Dinner/?. Biriyani/Haleem/Andhra Fare/?
Well, I hadn't planned a detailed agenda (yet). I would like to eat very good biriyani, haleem, nihari and kababs (maybe pathar ke gosht). In Old Delhi, Nihari is a breakfast dish, but if I can have it for dinner, all the better. Based on what little I've read of the thread, Shadab seems to be good for all of these dishes.

The Andhra meal I will probably have near Kondapur (where I'll be staying with relatives). If there are any good Andhra meal joints near Kondapur, please let me know.

Quote:
EDIT: 'Bada Ka' as in Bada ka Biriyani, Haleem, etc means Beef. Most Beef items would be mentioned as 'Mutton'(even on menu cards) - just that it is 'Bada Ka'.
Thanks, I came across it in one of the previous posts but didn't know what it meant. Now I do!

I'll update the map soon. Hopefully it will help other foodies as well.

There doesn't seem to be any "Thanks" button for this thread. I was able to thank people in the Reviews thread, so not sure if it is a problem with my computer or the configuration for this thread.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks