Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st August 2012, 11:24   #4816
BHPian

Re: Hyderabad Meet Thread 2012 Meets_ Haleem Meets from July 19_Aug 25 !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Farukh, Welcome to your first meet. I would recommed you come on a 2-wheeler as driving a car around in the bustling night traffic would be a major hindrance.
I am sorry buddy, I could not make it to the Haleem meet. A friend invited me over for Iftaar and couln't say no to him. Will try to make upto it by joining you guys at the next meet.

My Haleem experience this season – I have had very less Haleem this year. Here’s the account.
Niagara – Decent Haleem but nothing outstanding.
Paradise – The Best of this season for me, very less bones. I could be wrong because I did not taste Shah Ghouse, Sarvi and many other. The best part about this one was no uncrushed cloves/pepper/cinnamon and various other garam masalas.
Beef Haleem – In a lane between Punjagutts traffic PS and Himalaya book store. Don’t remember the name but not hard to find. Forty bucks for the bliss. Absolutely value for money. Loved the taste.
Pista House – Dissapointment!
On the eve of Eid, went to get a taste of Pista house and Shah Ghouse in Charminar, but a good Samaritan told us that Shah Ghouse’s Haleem was very salty that day and suggested us to go to Pista house and well… they failed to impress us. Phirni was saving grace though.
Old 21st August 2012, 11:28   #4817
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
Ya even i was surprised, after all the good reviews here. What else would you suggest i try next time i am there for dinner?
Also am looking out for more such joints to try out.
Try their mutton curry and also the fry once again. Do not see the cook getting it wrong again. You can also try the Harsha mess opp Maitrivanam and the Swarnajayanthi complex at Ameerpet. Very good thaali and mutton / chicken fry. If you happen to be in Madhapur area, try Abhiruchi mess opp Nectar Gardens. Meals with a side dish of mutton / naatukodi fry.
Old 21st August 2012, 12:05   #4818
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
The talawa gosht is still the best. Can you suggest any 'better' place for such food? Would love to take my family but as you said Alhamdullilah has seen better days.
Try Mukarram in Amberpet. Have been visitng this place for more than a couple of years and they are yet to dissapoint me. Talawa Gosht is must. Sheekh kabab is like you would get in Alhumdullilah. Biryani here better be avoided. Tried Mutton masala (just be aware they serve only beef and chicken and call beef as mutton) once and it was ok or may be the taste to talawa gosht over shadows every thing.

Not a shady place but still don't take your family. A takeaway would be the best option for you. Or else you can have it in the car if you don't mind ever staying stains on your seat covers and the never ending aroma of talawa.
Old 21st August 2012, 16:38   #4819
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
Try Mukarram in Amberpet.
Will try Mukarram for sure. Thanks for the tip.

Had a meeting at MJ Market and on the way back to office had lunch at Hotel Aadaab, Nampally (after a long long time) - had a visitor with me and ordered double meat mutton biryani. Super stuff. Excellent flavors, good quantity of rice and meat and the meat was cooked just the way I like - with a bit of resistance when you bite into it, not the melt-in-your-mouth types. @175/- per plate it was VFM.

Did not click any pics as were very hungry by the time we reached Aadaab @3.30PM.
Old 21st August 2012, 17:12   #4820
Distinguished - BHPian

This haleem season, I tasted haleem at below outlets :-

1. Bahar
2. Kabashish
3. Pakwaan
4. Shadab
5. Shahghouse
6. Paradise
7. Hyline
8. 555
9. Sarvi

My top 3 award in sequence goes to :-

1. Bahar

Most consistent and balanced taste haleem. Smooth, not too much garam masala and decent portion for a VFM price of Rs.70

2. Shadab

Extremely smooth and very tasty. Downside was it was too oily (ghee)

3. Paradise

Tasted only once. But, it was thick, extremely smooth, well-balanced flavour, delectable and had a nice wee bit hint of ghee flavour.

Rest of the folks were average to good.
Old 22nd August 2012, 00:00   #4821
BHPian

I'm not sure if this has been discussed here before. The results of the best Haleem and Biryani contest for 2012 , run by Times City have been announced.

here is the link Haleem

Now let the debate begin.
Old 22nd August 2012, 00:08   #4822
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
I'm not sure if this has been discussed here before. The results of the best Haleem and Biryani contest for 2012 , run by Times City have been announced.

here is the link Haleem

Now let the debate begin.
What the heck? I somewhere read that Paradise won Haleem contest and Shah Ghouse won the Biryani crown. Most probably it was TOI. That's the only newspaper I read. I will go search for it now.

Any body else notice that???
Old 22nd August 2012, 08:54   #4823
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
I'm not sure if this has been discussed here before. The results of the best Haleem and Biryani contest for 2012 , run by Times City have been announced
Paradise was definetly awesome and good to know it won the crown and i am sure Norules will say these awards are rigged . I think the judges look at all parameters like oilyness, smoothness, texture, taste and amount of garam masalas floating in the haleem etc.

If you go by that parameter, Paradise was certainly delicious and very well balanced.

But, Bahar should have been given some award as their haleem was no less.
Old 22nd August 2012, 10:27   #4824
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
i am sure Norules will say these awards are rigged
Naah. See, Paradise did not win the best biryani contest. Haleem is a one month only affair where as biryani is year long.
Old 22nd August 2012, 12:30   #4825
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Naah. See, Paradise did not win the best biryani contest. Haleem is a one month only affair where as biryani is year long.

I am myself a sucker for their biryani. Been having it once every week since the last three months I have shifted to Hyderabad . I thoroughly enjoy the roti and keema that they serve for breakfast. I ride almost 40-50 kms in the morning just to have breakfast there.

Btw, had bought 1 kg assorted biscuits from Pista House, Charminar. Good variety of flavour, taste. Me and my friends gobbled it up in no time. Decent price @Rs.150/- per kg.

Had been for breakfast at Taj Krishna a week back. Loved the spread and variety viz sausages, flakes, fruits, dosas, omlettes. However, they served juice from one of those cartons in the name of "fresh juice"
Old 22nd August 2012, 14:40   #4826
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
I am myself a sucker for their biryani. Been having it once every week since the last three months I have shifted to Hyderabad
Me too. Paradise is and will remain the most authentic and traditional hyderabadi biryani for locals and non-locals
Old 23rd August 2012, 17:20   #4827
BHPian

Ordered mutton curry, prawn fry and fish curry from KDM for lunch yesterday. Yummy stuff as usual. Could not decide which was the best.

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20120822232.jpg
Old 24th August 2012, 21:48   #4828
BHPian

Hmmm flavor of the season for all the non-veggies.. Haleem.

Experience @ Khan Saab.
I have been there a couple of times. First time, we ordered some paneer starter (don't remember the name) but it tasted very good. They have 2 types of Veg Biryanis in their menu.

One of them was "Paneer Methi Corn Biryani" - we really loved it. It was one of the best vegetable biryanis I have ever tasted. - I recommend this for everyone!

Second time, we ordered "Do Phool Barah Masale" starter (Cauliflower and Broccoli with some masala) tasted very good.
Also we had the "Garlic Olive naan" with some veg curry, must say .. naan with Olives tasted awesome! People who like Olives would definitely love it! It costs about 100/- each but worth a try!

Last edited by punto_ : 24th August 2012 at 21:49.
Old 27th August 2012, 12:58   #4829
BHPian

Hotel Green Park, Hyderabad.

5 Varities each of Veg & N/V Kebabs, 6 types of biryanis, daals & curries, desserts, welcome mocktail and some more.

@ Rs 630/- all inclusive, sounds reasonable.
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-greenpark.jpg
Old 27th August 2012, 19:33   #4830
Senior - BHPian

Kerala Onam Sadyas in the City

For all those interested in going traditionally Veg over the next couple of days,Onam this year is on Wednesday(29th Aug to 1st Sep) and there are a couple of places putting up Onam Sadyas served on the traditional Plantain leaf.

Utupura,ITC Dakshin,Promenade at Aditya Hotel Ameerpet,Kerala Kitchen at Hitec City,Malabar Restaurant at Nampally.Apart from the restaurants,some of the Kerala "cultural" associations are putting up their own versions of Onam Sadyas which would any day be better than these restaurants.The popular one is the one held by "Mytri"(this year on Sep 9) which is usually held.Chefs for all the sadyas have been brought in from Kerala so one can expect a fairly authentic Kerala spread at most of the sadyas.Most of the sadyas have been priced in and around 150-200 per head from what I heard over the past few days.

PS:A little bit of trivia for those interested in knowing whats the hullabaloo behind Onam.The festival is for two reasons(not necessarily in the same order)-One its the harvest festival of the state(marks the beginning of the harvesting season) all over the state and the other is the legend which says that it celebrates the Asura King Mahabali's return from Patala after being vanquished by Vishnu in his Vamana Avatara.King Mahabali was the most popular of kings to rule the state and he was granted a 10 day visit to the state annually to visit his people.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks