Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 28th August 2012, 07:21   #4831
BHPian

Re: Kerala Onam Sadyas in the City

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Utupura,ITC Dakshin,Promenade at Aditya Hotel Ameerpet,Kerala Kitchen at Hitec City,Malabar Restaurant at Nampally.Apart from the restaurants,some of the Kerala "cultural" associations are putting up their own versions of Onam Sadyas which would any day be better than these restaurants.The popular one is the one held by "Mytri"(this year on Sep 9) which is usually held.Chefs for all the sadyas have been brought in from Kerala so one can expect a fairly authentic Kerala spread at most of the sadyas.Most of the sadyas have been priced in and around 150-200 per head from what I heard over the past few days.
Unfortunately I will be out of town on 9th. Any similar sadya happening on the previous weekend (Sep 1 & 2)? Would love to have one.
On Thiruvonam, I am planning to have sadya from Kairali since that's the only one where the timing is feasible. I have work till 2:30 PM and can only get out from office after that and Kairali serves Sadya till 4:00 PM and they also have "Palada pradhaman" take away.
Any idea till what time Sadya is available at Kerala Kitchen? That should be any day better than Kairali, which was stinking badly 2 days back when I went for lunch because of some drainage work happening on its side.

Last edited by jayded : 28th August 2012 at 07:22.
Old 28th August 2012, 10:40   #4832
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded

Unfortunately I will be out of town on 9th. Any similar sadya happening on the previous weekend (Sep 1 & 2)? Would love to have one.
On Thiruvonam, I am planning to have sadya from Kairali since that's the only one where the timing is feasible. I have work till 2:30 PM and can only get out from office after that and Kairali serves Sadya till 4:00 PM and they also have "Palada pradhaman" take away.
Any idea till what time Sadya is available at Kerala Kitchen? That should be any day better than Kairali, which was stinking badly 2 days back when I went for lunch because of some drainage work happening on its side.
There is some cultural outfit conducting a sadya at safilguda on Sep 2nd,i shall check it up for you and let you know.Saw the pamphlets in the colony Kerala Store.All the best for the palada even if ita half as good as the original its paisa vasool for you.There is also a Kairali conducting a sadya at Hyd University.You could call up Kerala Kitchen to check for timings.Rest assured it would be jam packed!
Old 28th August 2012, 16:13   #4833
BHPian

Kerala Kitchen in kondapur is currently having a daily sadya spread till sept 2nd. Heard its good. I might go there one of these days.
Old 28th August 2012, 20:04   #4834
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Had "Uthrada Sadya" this afternoon at Kairali with 2 of my friends. The sadya was pretty decent though it's not served in the real authentic way, and is understandable since most of the employees are non-mallus. Parippu (dal) was missing. The curries were good enough and the "palada pradhaman" was tasty. We ended up buying half a litre each of the payasam which is now resting in the fridge, which should be doubling its taste
The sadya is priced at 130/- per head and so is 1 litre of "Palada pradhaman". Pretty decent I would say, except for the overall ambience and cleanliness.

Called up Kerala Kitchen and got info that they serve Sadya from 12 onwards till they close. The price is 265/- inclusive of tax. Planning to have Sadya tomorrow from KK.
Old 29th August 2012, 14:43   #4835
BHPian

Was at a friend's office on Road No.10, Banjara Hills and decided to go for lunch. Called up Avi for suggestions who suggested Utupura and Point Pleasant.

Walked down to Utupura to see a huge crowd waiting to eat. asked a waiter whether I can get a table for 3 and he siad 'no chance'. Not even if I was willing to wait for 30 mins. Guess all the Malayalees were celebrating Onam. Disappointed.

Walked down to Point Pleasant and had Taaftan @ 30/-; Dum ka murgh Asifi @ 200/-; Mutton Biryani @ 185/-

Taaftan as usual was very tasty, dum ka murgh was so so, was bland to my taste, biryani was okie dokie.

Bill for 3 = 525/-
Old 29th August 2012, 15:11   #4836
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Called up Avi for suggestions who suggested Utupura and Point Pleasant.
I could have suggested a whole lot of places but, then it would have been darn expensive.

Quote:
Walked down to Point Pleasant and had Taaftan @ 30/-; Dum ka murgh Asifi @ 200/-; Mutton Biryani @ 185/-
Not bad for 3 people. But, after eating at Point Pleasant for a couple of times. I never felt like going back. It's just a very very average joint that just does not make you happy
Old 29th August 2012, 19:48   #4837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I could have suggested a whole lot of places but, then it would have been darn expensive.
I know. City Centre is full of them and so is Road No.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Not bad for 3 people. But, after eating at Point Pleasant for a couple of times. I never felt like going back. It's just a very very average joint that just does not make you happy
It is an alright place. Nothing great and not bad either. Their kebabs are good though.
Old 29th August 2012, 20:44   #4838
BHPian

Had "Thiruvona Sadya" from Kerala Kitchen today with one of my colleagues and was mighty impressed. It was one of the best I could ask for away from home. It's my first visit to KK and I'm sure to visit them more often. The place was buzzling with the mallu crowd when we went there for our lunch around 3 PM.

Priced at 265/- per head, the sadya was a really good one with all the curries tasting exactly how it should be. Due to the crowd the serving was kind of erratic but that was totally understandable and the taste easily made up for all that. The owners (managers?) were walking around to manage the crowd and made sure to have a word with everyone and collect feedback regarding the Sadya before we left. There were 2 payasams, "Parippu" (green gram dal) and "palada pradhaman". Both were really good. Overall a very nice experience and miles ahead of Kairali.

Though the pricing is very high compared to Kairali which is closer to where I stay, I am seriously tempted to visit Kerala Kitchen again.

Hope everyone had a wonderful Onam. Enjoy.
Old 30th August 2012, 18:13   #4839
BHPian

Quote:
Was at a friend's office on Road No.10, Banjara Hills and decided to go for lunch. Called up Avi for suggestions who suggested Utupura and Point Pleasant.

Walked down to Utupura to see a huge crowd waiting to eat. asked a waiter whether I can get a table for 3 and he siad 'no chance'. Not even if I was willing to wait for 30 mins. Guess all the Malayalees were celebrating Onam. Disappointed.
You were lucky, it was a very poorly managed affair, if the food would have been good it would have made up for braving the crowds.The food was insipid, not even upto the usual standards of meals they serve moreover by 12.45 they had run out of rice etc. The staff was losing patience; all in all never going back next year should try KK going by the feedback.
Old 30th August 2012, 19:06   #4840
BHPian

Copying and pasting from a friend's (Anil Kumar) FaceBook wall.
He is a Keralaite and he has been inviting me to join him for a Sadya for the past three years now but somehow I have not yet been able to make it.

Anyway, here you go :

Maithri's 17th Anniversary Onam Celebration, Jayalakshmi Gardens, Trimulgherry, Secunderabad, September 9, 10.30 am onwards
Enjoy performances by popular playback singer Unni Menon and Troupe and Comedy King Kalabhavan Projod.
Special Onam sadhya will also be served.
For donor passes contact: 98 851 93 936
email: maithrihyd @ yahoo.com
Old 31st August 2012, 09:56   #4841
Distinguished - BHPian

Ever since i came to know haleem is available till Aug 31st.

Yesterday evening picked up 2 plates of Haleem for dinner from 555, Masab Tank.

It was empty and waiting for customers. I asked till when haleem is available, to which he replied " Till Tomorrow but, they are planning to keep it available through out the year on Wed, Fri and Sun. We will know soon if that happens. I dont care whatever their decision.....

Coming to the taste of the haleem
  • It had mostly wheatish taste
  • Humungous ( yeah, not large) sized bones in the haleem
  • Too many unknown meat pieces
It was made with zero zeal and was totally lacklustre. I wont be going back there again.
Old 31st August 2012, 15:28   #4842
BHPian

Lunch takeaway from Kakatiya Mess for 4 people: Fish curry, chicken fry, chicken roast, chicken fry biryani, meals. Cost was around 520/- or so. Chicken fry was the best. The fry biryani was good but Srikanya serves much better chicken fry biryani.

The rush was maddening. I usually send someone from my office to get the food but today wanted to pick up on the way to my friend's guest house. Took me 15 minutes to find a parking spot. Going to KDM in a 4 wheeler is a big pain.
Old 31st August 2012, 15:37   #4843
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules
Took me 15 minutes to find a parking spot. Going to KDM in a 4 wheeler is a big pain.
thats one reason why I am not that enthusiastic about going to KDM. The one time I was there for a parcel I parked at the end of the lane near a workshop.
Old 3rd September 2012, 16:07   #4844
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday for lunch got a take-away of Kakatiya Mutton Fry and Prawns Fry from KDM

As usual, it left me numb with a good feeling throughout the day

Dinner went to "Pebbles" in Himayathnagar which is owned by Solitaire and they have a much larger restuarant at Park Lane, Secunderabad

Been here a few times for lunch buffet and always liked the food.

Their ambience is excellent and gives a very very upmarket feel with dim lighting and lots of usage of glass. The cutlery they use is equivalent to a 3* or 4* hotel.

Yesterday, we ordered al-carte for the first time

Fruit Punch (Rs 125)

It was simply awesome. Fresh, creamy and very delicious

Roasted Chicken Salad (Rs. 90)

Fresh Veggies and Chicken was nicely roasted and tasted very fresh. Just that the veggies were cut a mite too thick for my taste

Mutton Biryani (Rs. 265)

Fresh, Fragrant and Meat was slightly chewy ( like how NoRules likes it) but, not the extremely hard chewy meat that your normally served at places like pakwaan, shadab, Shahghouse etc.

It was a very different biryani than my favorite which is Paradise but, nonetheless we both loved it. Wifey liked it more than me

But, it's quite pricey for sure. And, they add a VAT and SC too

Worth a visit for sure and we shall visit them more often as they are just a stone throw away from home.
Old 3rd September 2012, 16:23   #4845
Team-BHP Support

Over the weekend had some Vegetable Biryani from Paradise.
Its actually very good. A pack costs Rs 120. Quantity is adequate for 3 normal adults.

Most Viewed