Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 12:53   #4876
Senior - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Come on guys, each one of your please come forward and share a brief paragraph of why you LIKE or DON'T LIKE the Paradise biryani.
Okies!

I DONOT like Paradise Biryani. Had recently after a very long time from their Hitec City outlet as takeaway. Absolutely no flavour in the Mutton Biryani.
Old 11th September 2012, 13:00   #4877
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Okies!

I DONOT like Paradise Biryani. Had recently after a very long time from their Hitec City outlet as takeaway. Absolutely no flavour in the Mutton Biryani.
Forgot to mention. When writing that paragraph. Please also mention which according to you is the BEST biryani in Hyderabad and WHY?
Old 11th September 2012, 13:06   #4878
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Forgot to mention. When writing that paragraph. Please also mention which according to you is the BEST biryani in Hyderabad and WHY?
My favourite Biryani are:
  1. Garden/Zurna Double Masala Double Meat
  2. Bawarchi
  3. Astoria
  4. Pakwaan
  5. Bahaar
  6. Meghna Spicy Kitchen
  7. Srikanya
Old 11th September 2012, 13:27   #4879
BHPian

Quote:
The Paradise-ish flavour is what makes people throng their restuarant like bees to a honey pot....I enjoy their biryani due to that consistent and aromatic flavour which is not found in any other biryani in Hyderabad.
Everyone to his own taste. There must definitely be something about Paradise which made it the success it is today, I am not denying that but likes and dislikes are personal opinion.

Quote:
With regards to meat. Majority of people love the meat to be soft, melt in mouth ( be it boneless or with bone). I doubt if majority would like hard as stones and chewy meat in their biryani
'Hard as stones' is an exaggeration. As Matt Preston says - the meat should have a bite to it. Again, this is a personal thing - I prefer the meat to make me work a little, have a bite - not hard as stones though and definitely melt-like-butter.

Most of us like Desi chicken, right? I know quite a few people who do not like it because the meat is a little hard and bones are rock hard where as regular chicken has lot of flesh on the bone. Some people like breast cut where as I prefer wings, legs and neck - basically the cuts with bone.

Quote:
Their quanity is decent if not enormous like Bahar, Bawarchi etc.
Even I was surprised at the small portion and for 2 adult males it was not enough.

Quote:
How about having kind of a soft POLL of who likes Paradise Biryani and who does not? Would interesting to see what other foodies think?

Come on guys, each one of your please come forward and share a brief paragraph of why you LIKE or DON'T LIKE the Paradise biryani.
I have already listed my reasons of not liking Paradise biryani.

I would rate Alhamdulillah as my favorite for chicken biryani and beef biryani; Southern Mirchi is another place I like chicken biryani and for mutton biryani I will go with Jewel of Nizam, Hotel Golkonda followed by Shadaab and New Astoria, Saifabad.

Best biryani - cooked by me
Old 11th September 2012, 14:52   #4880
BHPian

I see no one's ventured to Prince in Mehdipatnam and gotten their chicken biryani which I have mentioned is my fav!

I think a few biryani aficionados should meet and I'll bring Prince chicken!
Old 11th September 2012, 15:50   #4881
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_AmbyMad View Post
I see no one's ventured to Prince in Mehdipatnam and gotten their chicken biryani which I have mentioned is my fav!

I think a few biryani aficionados should meet and I'll bring Prince chicken!
Why have Chicken Biryani from Prince when their signature dish is Mutton(Beef) Biryani.
Old 11th September 2012, 16:31   #4882
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Why have Chicken Biryani from Prince when their signature dish is Mutton(Beef) Biryani.
Because it's the best biryani I've tasted! Am not a big fan of beef biryani because I find the beef too chewy so when my friends go there and indulge in all the beef delights (biryani, tala hua ghosh etc) am quite happy to slowly go through the chicken (leg piece).

Why I like it - not too much masala like paradise, the rice is soft and flavorful and the chicken is soft and juicy.

After all this, there's still the dessert - malai roti, which is another story altogether.
Old 11th September 2012, 17:22   #4883
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_AmbyMad View Post
Because it's the best biryani I've tasted! Am not a big fan of beef biryani because I find the beef too chewy so when my friends go there and indulge in all the beef delights (biryani, tala hua ghosh etc) am quite happy to slowly go through the chicken (leg piece).

Why I like it - not too much masala like paradise, the rice is soft and flavorful and the chicken is soft and juicy.

After all this, there's still the dessert - malai roti, which is another story altogether.
If I am not wrong, Alhamdulillah and Prince are owned by the same person and I love both chicken and beef biryani at AlH. I am sure even Prince tastes equally good.
Old 11th September 2012, 19:15   #4884
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
If I am not wrong, Alhamdulillah and Prince are owned by the same person and I love both chicken and beef biryani at AlH. I am sure even Prince tastes equally good.
No Ravi Anna, Alhamdullilah and Prince aren't owned by the same person. When Prince - I opened at Mallepally, Alhamdullilah's business took a heavy beating, reason many people shifted to Prince. Alhamdullilah took another beating, when Al-Madina opened bang behind it at Aghapura Road. Prince kind of held on to it and expanded itself to Mehdipatnam.

Even today, the Biryani is cooked at their Mallepally Kitchen and then shifted to Mehdipatnam outlet in an Auto. The Kitchen at Mallepally is always on 24x7. I always loved Chicken Biryani at Prince, good flavors and juicy leg piece, what else does one want.
Old 11th September 2012, 19:51   #4885
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
So it has opened. Thanks to the review, I know what I am in for. Sounds a perfect place to take my 100% pure veggie mom.

BTW, how much is the price on a weekday?
Yeah, at least you will find it really good as a first time experience in my opinion. Then you can decide on whether a second visit is eally on the cards.

I think on the weekdays they said Rs.255 or something... Can't remember with assurance but it was something like that.

Quote:
Deb since when you eating out? Good to see you here. Come here more often and share your dining escapades
Avi... I always do. Yeah, after moving to this part of the world it has gone down a bit as most of the foodie joints need me to travel a lot. Nonetheless, I do like my food. That's for sure...
Old 11th September 2012, 19:51   #4886
BHPian

Exactly, Nikhil!

Piping hot rice and that juicy leg piece stewing in the middle. I really haven't tasted biryani like that anywhere.

Another fav. is post 4am, khichdi and kheema. Haven't done that in awhile but now my mouth's watering
Old 11th September 2012, 21:52   #4887
BHPian

I need you guys to help me with some Hyderabadi dishes.

1. Need to identify a dish that I had last weekend because I forgot the name.

Its almost like the Paya but unlike Paya it has a whitish colour, but with similiar mutton pieces inside, cooked similiarly in a big pot. It also tastes almost the same. I vaguely remember that it was called Mutton M*****n. I forgot the last part.

I bought this from a hotel in Chandanagar, very close to BHEL, adjacent to Angara. This hotel was also selling Haleem even at this time of the year. I liked the taste and would definitely try to have it from the traditional places like Shadab.

2. I went to buy Kalyani Biryani from one of the joints in Miyapur. The guy asked me if I wanted Bade Ka or *** Ka ?. I opted for bade ka, as I presumed that was what Beef was called ? But what is the other option that they were asking me ? Any idea.

3. Need some feedback on a dish called Kabsa Laham @ 4 Seasons. Heard from someone thats it very much worth a try. Is it Mutton or Chicken ?

Quote:
How about having kind of a soft POLL of who likes Paradise Biryani and who does not? Would interesting to see what other foodies think?

+ 100 to that. (of which 99 were added by my wife). The best Biryani in Hyderabad for sure.

Actually, neither of us have like the other Biryanis that we have tried so far, be it Bawarchi, Hyderabad House etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
I would rate Alhamdulillah as my favorite for chicken biryani and beef biryani;
I would rate the trip to Alhamdulillah in my car during the last Friday of Ramadan as the toughest drive ever. (this was the main reason why I could not catch up with rest of the guys for the last of the Haleem meets).

However once we managed to get a seat, things started looking up. The beef sheek kebab was to die for, esp with the chutney accompaniment. Personally I was disappointed with the Beef Biryani. I somehow prefer beef to be cooked Kerala style. I find the Hyd style of cooking beef too chewy.

Some friends of mine who do not eat beef, ordered for some Chinese Chicken dishes, but all of it were crap.

Now my next target is Prince. I need to be convinced that Tala hua is worth the travel as so many people here have made me believe.

Last edited by autotranny : 11th September 2012 at 21:54.
Old 11th September 2012, 22:04   #4888
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
I need you guys to help me with some Hyderabadi dishes.

1. Need to identify a dish that I had last weekend because I forgot the name.

Its almost like the Paya but unlike Paya it has a whitish colour, but with similiar mutton pieces inside, cooked similiarly in a big pot. It also tastes almost the same. I vaguely remember that it was called Mutton M*****n. I forgot the last part.
Was it made up of tongue and intestines etc. Sounds like Chakna to me.

Quote:

3. Need some feedback on a dish called Kabsa Laham @ 4 Seasons. Heard from someone thats it very much worth a try. Is it Mutton or Chicken ?
Mutton.

The same dish is also available at Dine Hill but 4 seasons is much better in my opinion.
Old 11th September 2012, 22:23   #4889
BHPian

Quote:
It's called as Mutton Marag. Marag is a different kind of Soup, which is served mostly at Muslim Weddings. If you want to try Marag, try it out at Hotel Sohail at Malakpet.

Quote:
2. I went to buy Kalyani Biryani from one of the joints in Miyapur. The guy asked me if I wanted Bade Ka or *** Ka ?. I opted for bade ka, as I presumed that was what Beef was called ? But what is the other option that they were asking me ? Any idea.
Chote Ka would have been the thing he asked. BTW, there is nothing called as Chote Ka, as a person selling Kalyani Biryani would be selling only Kalyani Biryani and nothing else.

Quote:
3. Need some feedback on a dish called Kabsa Laham @ 4 Seasons. Heard from someone thats it very much worth a try. Is it Mutton or Chicken?
Kabsa and Laham Mandi are made with Mutton and is not the usual Biryani but would be way different. If you would love to indulge in some good Arabian Food, then do pay Hotel Sohail a visit. They have a good variety of Arabian Dishes.
Old 11th September 2012, 23:41   #4890
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
It's called as Mutton Marag. Marag is a different kind of Soup, which is served mostly at Muslim Weddings. If you want to try Marag, try it out at Hotel Sohail at Malakpet.
Spot on. It was indeed called the Marag. Now I remember

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Chote Ka would have been the thing he asked. BTW, there is nothing called as Chote Ka, as a person selling Kalyani Biryani would be selling only Kalyani Biryani and nothing else.
Maybe he just asked me if I wanted Beef or Chicken. With my grasp on Hyderabadi Hindi, I could hear absolutely anything

Most Viewed