Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2012, 23:47   #4891
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
It's called as Mutton Marag. Marag is a different kind of Soup, which is served mostly at Muslim Weddings. If you want to try Marag, try it out at Hotel Sohail at Malakpet.

Kabsa and Laham Mandi are made with Mutton and is not the usual Biryani but would be way different. If you would love to indulge in some good Arabian Food, then do pay Hotel Sohail a visit. They have a good variety of Arabian Dishes.
I had a chance to dine at Sohail with a couple of colleagues last week. Though I am a very bad eater, I tasted 2 dishes and a dessert there. Had "Paaya" (soup with goat's leg) and sheermal bread and also "Shorba" (soup with goat's tongue). I didn't eat the meat part, just ate the bread soaked in the soup. Under compulsion from one of my buddies, I tried a tiny piece of the tongue, but I could not have more. Both were 65 each per bowl.

To end the meal, we ordered "Umm Ali", which is malai mixed with bread. It was really good. The price was again 65/-. We were a bit early for dinner, hence didn't try the biriyani or any other main course, but the menu looked really tempting with the full page imagery and text over it. Will surely be going there to try the remaining dishes.

For people who want to try "Sohail", reaching there is very easy, you just have to use the MMTS, get down at malakpet station, and Sohail is 5 mins walk from there. Pretty easy.
Old 12th September 2012, 08:59   #4892
BHPian

Such a terrible thread to read at 9am in the morning, on a day when you're wondering if today is the day one starts to eat healthy!

I want to steer this away from biryani and other meat-heavy monstrosities! Any seafood lovers in the house?
Old 12th September 2012, 10:07   #4893
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Spot on. It was indeed called the Marag. Now I remember

Maybe he just asked me if I wanted Beef or Chicken. With my grasp on Hyderabadi Hindi, I could hear absolutely anything
Marag is one of the reasons I love going to muslim weddings. Fantastic dish it is, whether it is chicken or mutton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by G_AmbyMad View Post
Such a terrible thread to read at 9am in the morning, on a day when you're wondering if today is the day one starts to eat healthy!

I want to steer this away from biryani and other meat-heavy monstrosities! Any seafood lovers in the house?
LOL

Same thought I have every morning when I read this thread. I am a big seafood lover. Fish, prawns, crab, lobster.

Yesterday I and my executive were going to Balanagar to meet a customer and stopped at A1 Green Bawarchi, Sanathnagar for lunch. Ordered mutton handi biryani.

It came in a big handi, big portion of biryani sufficient for 2 people, lots of meat and great taste. Meat was cooked exactly how I like it - with a bit of resistance when you bite into it. Rice was wee bit dry but not bad. Good amount of masala made it a great lunch.

Priced at 150/- it was a VFM.
Old 12th September 2012, 11:20   #4894
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post

Yesterday I and my executive were going to Balanagar to meet a customer and stopped at A1 Green Bawarchi, Sanathnagar for lunch. Ordered mutton handi biryani.

A1 Green Bawarchi is at Erragadda, not Sanathnagar.

It was earlier known as green bawarchi.
Old 12th September 2012, 11:39   #4895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SILVERWOOD View Post
A1 Green Bawarchi is at Erragadda, not Sanathnagar.

It was earlier known as green bawarchi.
Stand corrected Sir. Yes, it is at Erragadda, after the Sanathnagar signal.
Old 12th September 2012, 13:12   #4896
BHPian

This is hyderabad!!!! ( say it to the tune of sparta) , you cannot take briyani away from this thread. Even if it is seafood , I would assume someone is going to come and talk about seafood briyani in it .

Fishermans fare @ Tolichowki is a very nice seafood place, been a while since i went there though .On the other hand , pomfrets @ hypercity is selling at Rs.1000/- per kg , any other place to get some fish other than hypercity and spar?
Old 12th September 2012, 13:21   #4897
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kippu View Post
pomfrets @ hypercity is selling at Rs.1000/- per kg , any other place to get some fish other than hypercity and spar?
I am sure there are local fish shops in the locality that you stay in(where do you stay?).Pomfrets again are two types Black and White(I am sure you know of it nevertheless).Again interestingly,pomfret in Hyd is sold in kgs while in Mumbai its always sold in pairs.The kilos work better and is way cheaper than the pairs way of selling them,
Old 12th September 2012, 13:33   #4898
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
I need you guys to help me with some Hyderabadi dishes. + 100 to that. (of which 99 were added by my wife). The best Biryani in Hyderabad for sure. Actually, neither of us have like the other Biryanis that we have tried so far, be it Bawarchi, Hyderabad House etc.
Finally, someone who likes Paradise Biryani. I was starting to feel like a minority here

Quote:
Piping hot rice and that juicy leg piece stewing in the middle. I really haven't tasted biryani like that anywhere.
Gautam, you have praised enough of Prince Biryani. I think we should do a lunch meet at Prince next Wednesday. What say biryani lovers?

Quote:
It's called as Mutton Marag.
Except us my most of our cousins families cook nonveg at home. I tried Marag at their homes and it is simply heavenly. Never ate it outside and dont think i will also.

Another dish that is made at home and goes perfect with piping hot rice is Dalcha. But, again i prefer only home made and will not eat outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayded View Post
I had a chance to dine at Sohail with a couple of colleagues last week.
I pass Sohail so often while going to my cousin home at Saidabad but, never stopped here.

Quote:
Everyone gets up and first looks at this thread as they want to know what others have eaten for lunch and dinner and what is their plan for today

More than eating, I love talking, writing, smelling, feeling and most importantly clicking pictures of food.

Quote:
I developed a bit of taste or seafood over the last few years. I enjoy

Fish and Prawns only. Both has to have zero smell or it wont go down my throat.

I dont eat other supposedly exotic stuff like Squids, Mussels, Crabs, Lobsters, Frog Legs etc...

Quote:
Same thought I have every morning when I read this thread. I am a big seafood lover. Fish, prawns, crab, lobster.
Your and Traveloholic's love for seafood is now folklore.. Grills n Steaks may have shut down after last time you guys marauded it.

I think you demolished the seafood section and left only bones and raubles on the table....LOL!

Quote:
I ate once at Gandhinagar Green Bawarchi. Typical Biryani. Huge mound of rice, itsy bitsy tough mutton pieces and some flavour. If its a chicken biryani. A HUGE chunk of chicken piece slammed inside that mountain of rice. I detest being served that ways.

Glad to know it was good.

Quote:
This is hyderabad!!!! ( say it to the tune of sparta) , you cannot take briyani away from this thread. Even if it is seafood , I would assume someone is going to come and talk about seafood briyani in it .
I love the way the hero shouts " This is Sparta" and kicks the messenger into oblivion. Must have rewinded that scene about 50 times

It shows his proudness, love and zeal to protect it. We Hydeez are no less. Let anyone start a debate on Hyderabad vs. Rest of India food. No prizes for guessing who will win...lol!

P.S: How about a Biryani Meet some evening in near future? We can visit a few popular restuarants and sample the biryani and share our result here? Crazy idea..huh?
Old 12th September 2012, 13:43   #4899
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Fishermans fare @ Tolichowki is a very nice seafood place, been a while since i went there though .On the other hand , pomfrets @ hypercity is selling at Rs.1000/- per kg , any other place to get some fish other than hypercity and spar?

White Pomfrets were about 700 or so at Spar.

Black Pomfret was about 450 at Spar.
In http://www.metro.co.in/ the same was available at around 350 or so.

*Prices as of 10 days back.
Old 12th September 2012, 14:03   #4900
BHPian

Quote:
Marag is one of the reasons I love going to muslim weddings. Fantastic dish it is, whether it is chicken or mutton.
Ravi Anna, It's always Mutton Marag and Chicken Shorba. Marag cannot be made with Chicken or rather say, the names are different for both.

Quote:
Fishermans fare @ Tolichowki is a very nice seafood place, been a while since i went there though.
I would rather say Fisherman's Fare was a good place to eat. The management has changed now and they have rechristened themselves to something else now. I guess, I am losing touch with the Food these days. Time to get back into the Foodie Mode :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Gautam, you have praised enough of Prince Biryani. I think we should do a lunch meet at Prince next Wednesday. What say biryani lovers?
Would love to go there albeit you would not love the ambiance there Avi

Quote:
Another dish that is made at home and goes perfect with piping hot rice is Dalcha. But, again i prefer only home made and will not eat outside.
Bhagara Khaana with Dalcha is something, which is best had at home. No other place serves food as good as home.

Quote:
I pass Sohail so often while going to my cousin home at Saidabad but, never stopped here.
Give it a try once. You can always visit their A/C Section called as Waves on the first floor.

Quote:
Your and Traveloholic's love for seafood is now folklore.. Grills n Steaks may have shut down after last time you guys marauded it.
LOL, I guess it's Payback time. Last time, they cheated us in terms of quantity, it's time to get even with them. Lets have another meet and try to break even with what we lost the last time.

Quote:
P.S: How about a Biryani Meet some evening in near future? We can visit a few popular restuarants and sample the biryani and share our result here? Crazy idea..huh?
Sounds good. Lets list down the POI's and then go on the "Biryani Hunt 2012"
Old 12th September 2012, 14:50   #4901
BHPian

Quote:
Finally, someone who likes Paradise Biryani. I was starting to feel like a minority here
Not at all. I am a die hard Paradise fan. Not just because they have an outlet in Hitec city. I have tried Mandar, Four Seasons, lot of XYZ Bawarchis, niagra, hyderabad house, City Spice but nothing comes close tp paradise in terms of quality ingredients, consistency and taste. Dine in is expensive and take away is damn cheap but the experience of food in dine-in is way better than takeaway probably because it tastes better when served hot. Also I feel that the quantity of rice is more in takeaway. Keema masala and Mutton biryani is a heavenly combination at Paradise.
The size of the serving bowl in paradise is different for chicken and mutton biryani probably because the price is same. Therefore Mutton biryani comes in smaller portion size than chicken biryani.

Next best according to me is the Mutton Biryani served at Angeethi's Lunch Buffet.

Last edited by huntrz : 12th September 2012 at 14:57.
Old 12th September 2012, 15:46   #4902
BHPian

Quote:
I think we should do a lunch meet at Prince next Wednesday. What say biryani lovers?
Aye Aye Sir
Quote:
I eat seena dalcha / rice combo regularly at Gymkhana club and Nizams club. Pretty good most of the time.

Recently I tried bagara khana with kaddu ka dalcha at a small joint near my office @ Ameerpet (They advertise it as Friday special) but did not relish it so much.

Quote:
This is one place I heard so much about. Have to visit it some time soon

Quote:

I think you demolished the seafood section and left only bones and raubles on the table....LOL!
Quote:

LOL, I guess it's Payback time. Last time, they cheated us in terms of quantity, it's time to get even with them. Lets have another meet and try to break even with what we lost the last time.
Nikhil, even though we did not eat enough and were left hungry Avi somehow seems to think we ate a lot. Lets go back to GnS and eat 'very little' like last time

Was at Secunderabad during lunch time and on way to office went to Sai Ram Mess, Begumpet. Since I went at 2.30 I got parking easily.

Their Wednesday special is Prawns fry.

Ordered thaali and prawns fry but hardly ate any prawns. The baigan ka chutney was so delicious half my meal was rice and chutney. Every item was delicious and probably first time I regretted ordering a non-veg item which was also good - not as good as KDM prawns fry though. Got the leftover prawns parceled.

Rs.60/- for meals and Rs.90/- for prawns.
Old 12th September 2012, 17:14   #4903
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Aye Aye Sir
Not next wednesday please.

1) It is Ganesh Chaturthi and a holiday.

2) I have other plans called a birthday in the house.
Quote:
Ravi Anna, It's always Mutton Marag and Chicken Shorba. Marag cannot be made with Chicken or rather say, the names are different for both.

Give it a try once. You can always visit their A/C Section called as Waves on the first floor.
I did try the Marag at Sohail and a huge thanks to traveloholic to have guided me there.

Reached at 12:45pm and had to wait till 1pm when it got ready.

Found it to extra bland and too milky in taste. Will not go back for it.

The shank piece in it was huge, enough for 2 people to gorge on.
Quote:
How about a Biryani Meet some evening in near future? We can visit a few popular restuarants and sample the biryani and share our result here? Crazy idea..huh?
No, not at all crazy. Makes sense to share one plate between 4 odd people and then move on to another venue. Lets do it!
Old 12th September 2012, 17:22   #4904
Team-BHP Support

Rates for fish metro cash and carry
White pomfret 459
Black pomfret 389
Indian salmon 389
Pink perch 199
Tiger prawns 269
Old 12th September 2012, 19:16   #4905
BHPian

Avi, like Nikhil said, Prince is not the best place to eat at (unless you're adventurous, do not care about surroundings and like to eat post midnight)! Strangely, I have never had Prince chicken biryani in the day, it's always been 2am, post a debauched 10D night. Let me first sample the lunchtime fare and if its just as good, I can play host to a few people at my office, will get the biryani from Prince! We have a decent sized conference room, 6-7 folks who want to try, come on over

Daalcha and Dhansak are one of my fav. mutton dishes and while they are both best made at home, Avi, you have to try the Nizam club daalcha with hot rice. I'd murder for some

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks