Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2012, 11:48   #4981
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

there are some more cake makers on facebook , sadly i did not save their contacts ,you can just type in hyderabad cakes on fb and get it but i agree with nikhil , dont go for fondant cakes , if you want any tiny decorations , you can get fondant yourself and make those tiny itty bitties , its like play dough and its nice fun to work with it
Old 18th October 2012, 01:02   #4982
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Welcome to Team-BHP. You came to the right thread. This is one of the most popular threads for Hydeez and another being the meet thread :-

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/team-b...ml#post2932956

These two threads can give you ample info of whats happening in Hyderabad.

Last evening went to Paradise at Prasadz complex.
I must confess i was impressed with almost everything. They opened at a strategic location
Summary : Paradise Biryani is still and will continue to be the BEST biryani in Hyderabad.
Thank You mobike.
I will surely follow these two and i figured that this is the busiest thread.Already 20 posts since my last visit
Btw, when did they open Paradise at Prasadz ?
Old 18th October 2012, 15:30   #4983
BHPian

Fans of Bengali food in hyderabad have one more place to visit: "10 Dalhousie".

Its in the Madhapur Ayyappa Society road, opp the petrol pump, first floor of the 2nd or 3rd building to the left.

Been there for lunch today and came away very satisfied. My Bong wife gave it full marks and rated it higher than Calcutta Cabiin.

We ordered steamed rice with pomfret masala (180), chingri macher bati chorchori (180) and topped it with delicious mishti doi (30). We also carried back a parcel of Bengali Murgir (chicken) curry (140) for dinner.

The pomfret masala in a thick "iguru" kind of gravy rocked! It was perfectly spiced and we literally cleaned up the serving bowl. The chingri (prawn) curry was also outstanding. It was medium spicy, with potatos, carrots and other veggies and was great with rice.

The dishes had an almost homely taste. Am waiting to go back n taste the other Bong delicacies esp the fish in mustard gravy and steamed hilsa! The prices are slightly lower than those of Calcutta Cabiin and and as I said tastier too.

Btw they also have an extensive "punjabi"/mughlai menu.

You can take a look at their menu on the website www.10dalhousie.com
Old 19th October 2012, 00:43   #4984
BHPian

excellent , my bong wife would be suprised ., was the pomfret on the spicy side?
Old 19th October 2012, 13:42   #4985
BHPian

Having been away for three years coming back to hyderabadi food was filled with a lot of disappointments off late . I mean places That I used to dream about regularly werent as awesome as I remembered them to be.
However I was pleasantly surprised by PICKLES at basera ..especially their buffet .
Priced reasonably at approx 300 all inclusive, the variety wasn't as much as other places but every item on the menu was tasty.
Specially loved the chaat. Couldn't get enough of it.
What I missed though was That earlier everytime I've been there. Dessert always included either brown or white chocolate mousse.
However one bite of delicious and perfect consistency of the gulab jamun more than made up for this.
Another highlight was the mutton curry.

Definitely recommended. Ambience is nice and feels airy compared to many other places and staff is competent though not brilliant.

Another bonus was the paanshop next door and the florist and an impulsive flower purchase made the wife very very happy.
Old 19th October 2012, 17:13   #4986
BHPian

A new biryani joint opened at Ameerpet this month - A one Bawarchi, Opp. Chermas. Had lunch there on Wednesday - single mutton biryani @90/-. My friend had single chicken biryani @ 90/-. MB was decent, meat was well cooked, good amount of masala and spice, rice was good, not too dry, not overcooked. Good place to get a quick takeaway lunch. The quantity of 'single' was good for one person. Cost of lunch for 2 with a water bottle - 200/-

Earlier today had breakfast at Iyer's joint, Dharam karan road, Ameerpet - Excellent idly, pongal and upma. Wife had vada instead of pongal. The place was full as it always is. Total cost of breakfast for 2 - 80/-

Lunch was at Sholay. Tried it for first time. Called mobike008 to ask for recommendations but he was 'in' pooja and could not attend my call.

Ordered Mutton yakhni shorba (1/2), Murgh kaliya kebab, Tandoori roti & Gosht biryani. It is a huge restaurant, lot of seating space. Only one table was occupied when we went there at 1.15 but by the time we finished our lunch around 7-8 tables got occupied. Service is a tad slow but the food was good. Shorba was spicy with loads of pepper, murgh kaliya again was a pepper based kebab and was spicy, mutton biryani was good - though the rice was a little on the dry side.

Bill came to 465/-. Got a special discount of 20% - mention mobike008's name (Rs.93/-) and the bill for 2 after discount and taxes was Rs.469/-

Will go back again.

Last edited by NoRules : 19th October 2012 at 17:43.
Old 19th October 2012, 17:31   #4987
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Biryani came quickly and was super hot and loaded with hearty masalas

Summary : Paradise Biryani is still and will continue to be the BEST biryani in Hyderabad.
What about Bahar cafe?

After all the Paradise and Bawarchi and Hyderabad house, this is the place I go to.

Spices are light and taste is superb. Every thing well balanced.
Old 19th October 2012, 20:30   #4988
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Lunch was at Sholay. Tried it for first time. Called mobike008 to ask for recommendations but he was 'in' pooja and could not attend my call.
Sorry, couldnt take your call then. But, I would recommend the following for next time :-

Bathinde De Kukkad
Another similar sounding chicken is also good
Mutton Roganjosh
Veg Platter
Chicken Biryani ( I never order Mutton Biryani at Sholay after not being impressed the few times that I ordered. Their Chicken biryani is decent)

Overall, I love Sholay for its ambience, quietness and overall dining experience at a VFM price. Otherwise, all other restuarants are jam packed and claustrophobhic for a good dining experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harshaguduru View Post
However I was pleasantly surprised by PICKLES at basera ..especially their buffet . Priced reasonably at approx 300 all inclusive, the variety wasn't as much as other places but every item on the menu was tasty.
There was a time I used to be a regular at PICKLES and my favorite place after partying. It used to be full even at 3am and I agree it was a great place to eat after a long night of dance and celebrations

Good to know its still holding the fort

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
What about Bahar cafe?
Bahar Cafe cannot be compared with Paradise. It's like comparing mass with class ( imagine paradise has become class amongst the masses)

Bawarchi, Bahar type of places are extremely inconsistent. If your lucky that day, you will be served a good biryani. If not, then expect them to dump a plate mounded with biryani rice with hard as nails mutton pieces.

I have tasted Bahar Biryani so many times, I never got impressed with it

Bawarachi--Yeah, sometimes they make better than Bahar Biryani

Astoria--This is actually better than Bawarchi

Except a few hard core places like Prince, Sohail etc. I have tasted Biryani at all joints and find Paradise as the best ( actually there was a slump period for Paradise too when i used to hate them for about a year or two, but, they came back now even stronger)
Old 20th October 2012, 08:58   #4989
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
A new biryani joint opened at Ameerpet this month - A one Bawarchi, Opp. Chermas.

Earlier today had breakfast at Iyer's joint, Dharam karan road, Ameerpet - Excellent idly, pongal and upma. Wife had vada instead of pongal.
I was waiting for your review since last one week (ever since I saw it when it opened).

Now you have made me hungry, need to go for BF to Iyer right now.
Quote:
Bahar Cafe cannot be compared with Paradise. It's like comparing mass with class
Bahar is very good for 2-Piece Chicken Double-Masala Biryani if taken-away before 1pm or around 7pm. Yes, in recent times, the consistency has gone down. Had a bad experience when dining there so do not suggest that. Do not recollect when I had mutton biryani from there so no comments.

Paradise is class apart but only for done-in, certainly not for parcel, and for Mutton. However, if you have some money set apart, Jewel of Nizam at Hotel Golkonda serves an awesome biryani for 612/- per plate (2 plates needed for 3 people minimum).

Double-Mutton Biryani of Mohini's is right at top as a parcel, never eaten there.

The days of Hyderabad House are over. I would not eat anything from any of their outlets even if paid for it.

Bikanervala has a special menu for Navarataras :
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20121019-14.41.22.jpg
Ended up at Yashoda Hospital last night in emergency after eating at Bikanervala but do not think it was their food (most probably indigestion and acidity from BF).

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 20th October 2012 at 09:05.
Old 20th October 2012, 20:00   #4990
BHPian

Went to Via Milano this afternoon. The last time we went there for dinner, the manager had told us about the business lunch package they have started @ Rs 550/- (non veg) & 500/- (veg) and so we thought we will try that out.

I expected this to be a buffet, but to my surprise this was a 'served on the table' business lunch which I found to be very interesting.

Then on the choices were as under ;

Starters :
1. Toasted bread bruschette with chicken, black olive tapenade, Parmesan Cheese and Balsemic dressing.
2. Batter fried fish with tomato sauce.
3. Chicken strips salad with vegetables.

A combo of all three starters are served together in a plate, so no need to choose. It was just enough quantity to keep your apetite running for the main course.

The main course options that we chose were
1. Baked Lasagna with Chicken Bolognese on tomato concassea.
2. Grilled Chicken with garlic, herbs, chili, roasted potatoes in 'Balsemic' vinegar dressing.

The desserts :
1. Tiramisu made with Italian mascarpone cheese and rum.
2. Frozen orange scented Creme brulee.

However, being a combo offer the quantities for main course dishes were reduced to almost 50% of what you would get otherwise, whilst desserts were at almost 75% quantity.

So is this VFM ?

A quick calculation based on normal menu rates, prices adjusted based on quantity served:

1. Virgin Mojito - 130/-
2. Classic Mojito - 280/-
3. Starters (2 plates) - 400/-
4. Main Courses ( " ) - 350/-
5. Desserts (" ) - 300/-

Total Value - 1460/-

What we paid - 550 x 2 + taxes + service charge - Rs 1200/-

Implied Saving - Rs 260/-

Final Recommendation : This is a good VFM option for a couple because you get to eat a choice of starters and the quantities are just adequate to help you eat the entire 3 courses.

For large groups, it makes more sense to order items individually and share if you want.

Note from Moderator : Please DO NOT discuss alcohol on Team-BHP. Do read the rules before proceeding further.

Last edited by mobike008 : 21st October 2012 at 11:02.
Old 23rd October 2012, 10:56   #4991
Senior - BHPian

Starbucks opens at Horniman Circle,Mumbai

Have been in Mumbai over the last couple of days and thought would be a good idea to share this picture.This photograph brings back similar memories when Mcdie opened their first outlet in Hyderabad at Prasads and the Q to get in began at the main gate of Prasads!!This was the line at Starbucks to get inside the cafe.Coffee is priced at INR 80 to 200 plus taxes.

Picture Courtesy Mumbai Mirror

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-pc0040200.jpg
Old 27th October 2012, 15:36   #4992
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer_ash

Dunno about the difference in tastes. But I would anyday pay 40 bucks more for the Jubilee hills one over the Somajiguda minerva. The latter has a horrible basement parking and it reminds me of the old dingy wet and dark dungeons. I would never park my car there. Atleast the one in JH check post has better parking, even though its open.
Ya agree the difference is about ambience and location ... Taste is the same. Minerva started into this location 2 years back after santosh jubilee moved out. Minerva would be paying a pretty good rent here compared to the somajiguda location where they have been stationed for as long as I can remember.
Old 27th October 2012, 17:34   #4993
BHPian

After a long time went to Ofen, Road No.10, Banjara Hills for lunch today. Few years ago Ofen was our fav hangout place. We were 5 of us and ordered:

Chicken arabiata, Balsamic grilled chicken, mutton kapsa, cheese omlette and some other variety of omlette, buffalo wings, pineapple cream cake, German Oreo chocolate cake.

Chicken arabiata was decent, grilled chicken was good - the sauce was excellent, kapsa was pretty good and the shorba they served as accompaniment was superb, buffalo wings were burnt and did not taste good at all, pineapple cake was okie dokie and Chocolate cake was excellent. I did not taste the omlettes but they looked yummy.

Total bill came to Rs.1693/-

Ofen will always be a favorite as a continental restaurant and as a bakery as well and best part is you can order just a tea and hang out for as long as you want. Will go back soon.

Pics:
Kapsa:

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20121027292.jpg

Balsamic grilled chicken:

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20121027293.jpg

Chicken Arabiata (sorry, my friend almost finished it by the time I clicked the pic)

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20121027294.jpg

Buffalo wings (should have named them burnt wings)

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20121027295.jpg

Pineapple cream cake:

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20121027296.jpg

German Oreo Chocolate cake:

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20121027297.jpg
Old 27th October 2012, 18:36   #4994
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Has anyone tried out The Village at InOrbit mall? It has been opened by Kambala Hospitality.

Basically, Ohri's Nautanki Galli might very well have been the initial inspiration but they have taken it a step ahead.

All in all a pretty good one time experience. And at 350 bucks a pop on the weekends its pretty good deal (weekdays are even cheaper).
Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Sounds a perfect place to take my 100% pure veggie mom.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
Yeah, at least you will find it really good as a first time experience in my opinion. Then you can decide on whether a second visit is eally on the cards.
Managed to finally make it to "The Village, Soul of India" in InOrbit Mall for lunch today. Rs. 384/- all inclusive per head (349/- + 10% Service Charge).

My mom enjoyed herself to the core. Looks like I will need to head back very soon.

While there, met with Mr Deepak Bassi, the MD of the company which owns the outlet, who was there on his maiden visit to the place. Had a nice long chat with him. He got inspired after having seen and eaten at "The Village" at Lahore, though the Lahore eatery is 100% pure non veg as it caters to Punjabis. This is his 20th outlet in 6 odd years. Pretty amazing business acumen.
Quote:
Originally Posted by p'arth View Post
Ya agree the difference is about ambience and location ... Taste is the same. Minerva started into this location 2 years back after santosh jubilee moved out. Minerva would be paying a pretty good rent here compared to the somajiguda location where they have been stationed for as long as I can remember.
Minerva Coffee Shop, Jubilee Hills and Minerva Coffee Shop, Somajiguda are NOT owned by the same person / group. They are absolutely different business ventures of different people / group. Hence, they cannot be compared.
Old 1st November 2012, 13:37   #4995
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks like everyone in Hyderarbad is on a diet which explains this thread being so cold

Couple of weeks ago, been to 36-BBQ at Paradise. Ambience is quite nice with an option to sit out in open which is perfect for winters

Same concept like BBQ Nation where grills are placed in front of us

6 types of NV Kebabs

2 Chicken
1 Mutton
1 Fish
1 Prawns

Prawns was the best. Perfect marination and really well done

Mutton Sheek Kebab was also outstanding

Fish and one chicken was good

1 Chicken was in a sheek kebab type. Sheek Kebabs are only mutton. PERIOD

All of above washed down with a really lovely mocktail

Main buffet had lot of options but, except for a few dishes, most of them were lacklustre

Desserts had loads of options and almost each and every item was excellent

Rs.400 bucks per person via. a coupon was really worth this awesome dinner. Even if you enjoy the kebabs and desserts its VFM because the kebabs were almost on par with BBQ Nation
Attached Thumbnails
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img2012102500495.jpg  

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-img2012102500496.jpg  

Most Viewed