Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 1st November 2012, 17:12   #4996
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Looks like everyone in Hyderarbad is on a diet which explains this thread being so cold
Was too busy eating so no time to report.

Baba Chulha, a one time favourite of many of us here for his Kolkata Roll used to be located in the building which houses Ratna Deep on Raj Bhawan Road.

One fine day, he shifted next to Amrutha Mall on Raj Bhawan Road. The food improved drastically after the shifting. Slowly and steadily, the food quality started going down and then came a day when we all stopped going there. Soon there after he closed down.

The outlet was then taken over by one Sardarji and named as Buddy's. The quality went much more downhill and none of us were willing to try anything there.

Now Buddy's has paved way for Canton, a Chinese Hub. Not tried so no idea of quality and food.

Meanwhile, Smokin' Jalepeno came up next to Subway behind Ratna Deep in the space vacated by Baba Chulha.

He has now expanded into a full fledged restaurant in the neighbouring space and calls it Palete. Lunch Buffet is 219/-.
Old 1st November 2012, 17:27   #4997
Distinguished - BHPian

Bajaj Saab, After BC shut down, I went once to Buddys and didnt like the roll though replied " it was awesome" to sardar owner not to hurt his feelings

Anyways, its best to stay away from their new owners as i am sure once things go downhill changing owners, cuisine or restuarant will not make it go uphill.
Old 5th November 2012, 16:26   #4998
BHPian

Santosh Dhaba, Abids :

Had lunch there, in their new first floor outlet called Jashan.

Disaster!!!

The entrance was being washed when I reached there @ 1:15pm. Had to wait 5 minutes for the washerman to pull the water on one side so that I could enter.

Asked the captain to suggest NON-spicy dishes and made it very clear to him that we do not eat hot and spicy food at all.

He suggested Malai Kofta. We then asked him to get any non spicy dal which he suggested should be dal tadka. OK.

Malai Kofta and dal were just enough hot that the most spicy dish of Telangana region can be put to shame.

Ordered "Baby Naan". Well, it is not what you may think or expect. I did ask him how many naans will be there in this dish. Came to know that it contains 2 naans. OK, cool. What I got was a regular naan having a sprinkling of cheese and herbs cut into 2 pieces (yes, 2 pieces, not 2 naans). In so far as I know, naan is always served as 2 or 3 pieces, am still wondering what was "baby" about it since it was regular sized.

The saga did not end here. He turned up soon thereafter with 2 butter naans. I asked him, what is this? He said, you did order 2 butter naans. It took a little while for all of us to understand that our order of 2 butter milk had just got served as 2 butter naans. The mystery was resolved when he checked his KOT to realise that the mistake was with his kitchen. Wait, this is not the end ...

Sir, naan has been prepared, so please eat them. I said, no. Sir, please eat one and pay for it and I will take back the other. Holy Cow!!! Did this guy really mean to bill me for his mistake? Wait, still not the end. He did bill me for one naan.

Wanted to use the loo. Time was 1:55pm. It was under washing. No paper tissues so asked the guy washing to get me the tissues, reply : I am washing it, after it dries, will place the tissues. God Help!!!

Foodwise, the taste was certainly NOT Punjabi.

Moving on to Diwali. Went Dry Fruit Shopping. After trying out the wholesale market, Banjara Hills, various supermarkets, the cheapest dry fruit is at : Sri Om Company, Kirana Market, Begum Bazar, near Chatri.

Cashew (180 count [180 pieces make a kilo]) : 680
Cashew (240 count [240 pieces make a kilo]) : 590
Cashew (broken into 4 pieces per nut) : 380
Almond : 560
Walnut : 980
Kishmish (green) : 480
Elaichi (natural green) : 1,280
Old 6th November 2012, 11:19   #4999
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Santosh Dhaba, Abids :

Had lunch there, in their new first floor outlet called Jashan.

Disaster!!!

Foodwise, the taste was certainly NOT Punjabi.

That is unbelievable. Making a mistake in an order itself is bad and then forcing the customer to eat it and pay for it is even worse.

Dunno when these people will learn.

Tried a new take away (Sri Maurya) in the RBI Quarters lane, Ameerpet. Ordered a Maurya special chicken biryani - @130/- the portion size was decent, taste wise it was not bad, reasonable amount of masala, well cooked chicken. Can be had once a while as a break from KDM routine.
Old 7th November 2012, 13:18   #5000
BHPian

Found this on FB and thought it will be useful to all the foodies:

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-service-charge.jpg
Old 7th November 2012, 13:32   #5001
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Found this on FB and thought it will be useful to all the foodies:

Attachment 1011711
Also found on FB
http://www.legallyindia.com/20121105...nterest-notice

Looks like the interpretation of Delhi Bar Association is wrong.
Old 7th November 2012, 13:40   #5002
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks Ravi for that extremely useful post

Bajaj Saab, so that post by Rajsekhar Reddy's friend on email on same subject was infact correct and we all pounced on the guy who wrote saying he knew nothing about rules etc

In the recent past have been eating biryani a lot. Details below :-

1) Take away biryani from Spencers, Musheerbad where in their food court their is a company called " MRCB" which makes biryani and other items. Their Pot biryani looked extremely attractive so took one MB parcel. It was a classic case of mistaken by looks

Served in a big pot for Rs.170

Extremely dry rice
Extremely spicy ( even for me)
Meat was soft but, tasteless
Never again, from them

2) After watching movie at Prasadz, we took away parcel again from Paradise next door at around 11:30pm.Nice that we can get food at such hour.

a) Tangdi Kebab ( 4 Large Pieces for Rs.150)
This got to be one of the best tangdi kebab i tasted in a long time. Well marinated and highly juicy and thick pieces. I am waiting to go back again and get this dish as take-away again

b) Chicken Biryani ( eeeks, they ran out of MB). Special contains boneless chicken, double masala costs Rs.170. Normal is Rs.120

Taste was very good and quantity was humungous. Had it for lunch next day too. However, their mutton biryani is the BEST

Last edited by mobike008 : 7th November 2012 at 13:43.
Old 7th November 2012, 13:59   #5003
Team-BHP Support

Yesterday night decided to go to City Center Mall for some shopping. Wandered over to the top floor.

Angethi has shifted here.
The dinner service starts at 7:10 PM.

Ordered
Sarson ka Saag: Excellent. Served with some butter and jaggery. My daughter absolutely loved it.
Maki ki roti: Good.
Garlic naan: Lots of garlic pieces and it was good.
Mutton Biryani: Served in a nice stylish way. The rice and masala were separate. Which was a good thing as my daughter prefers it this way. The meat was well cooked and delicious.
Lassi: Good.

The bill came to a little over a 1000 rupees.
We ended up packing more than half the biryani and the saag.

Mrutanjay (if I remember correctly) did an excellent job as our waiter for the evening.
Old 7th November 2012, 18:24   #5004
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetgrey View Post
Also found on FB
http://www.legallyindia.com/20121105...nterest-notice

Oh Oh. Lets wait and see how they react.

Quote:

Bajaj Saab, so that post by Rajsekhar Reddy's friend on email on same subject was infact correct and we all pounced on the guy who wrote saying he knew nothing about rules etc
Avi, check the link posted by notyetgrey

Quote:
1) Take away biryani from Spencers, Musheerbad where in their food court their is a company called " MRCB" which makes biryani and other items. Their Pot biryani looked extremely attractive so took one MB parcel.
MRCB is Model Raithu Chicken Bazaar. They first started at Tilak Nagar (Near Fever Hospital) and specialized in home stlye cooking of non-veg items like fish curry / fry, naatu kodi curry, chicken fry / curry, mutton and even Emu. During my Domalguda days (2003-2008) I was a regular and a happy customer though never ordered biryani from them.

They later started another outlet in Kukatpally followed by Madhapur. My friends tried the pot biryani at Madhapur outlet and told me it was nothing great. Guess this is yet another outlet by them.

Avi, try their naatu kodi curry / fish pulusu / leg piece fry - the regular items. The food at MRCB is usually good.
Old 7th November 2012, 18:32   #5005
BHPian

Quote:
Avi, try their naatu kodi curry / fish pulusu / leg piece fry - the regular items. The food at MRCB is usually good.
I am still waiting for the Naatu Kodi Biryani Ravi Anna. Any good place, which delivers Naatu Kodi Biryani/Prawns Biryani and etc at Gachibowli?
Old 7th November 2012, 23:52   #5006
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
I am still waiting for the Naatu Kodi Biryani Ravi Anna. Any good place, which delivers Naatu Kodi Biryani/Prawns Biryani and etc at Gachibowli?
Hi Travelholic,

There's a mess called Sri sai mess opposite to DLF (in the lane where several such small eateries have mushroomed) which serves pretty decent natu kodi biryani. Per plate cost is 120 and is just sufficient for one person. I work close by so go along with my team once in a while and the taste has been consistent the last couple of times we've been there.
Old 8th November 2012, 11:43   #5007
BHPian

Quote:
Found this on FB and thought it will be useful to all the foodies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetgrey View Post
Also found on FB

Quote:

Quote:
Oh Oh. Lets wait and see how they react.

Avi, check the link posted by notyetgrey
Must accept that who so ever started this service tax issue has managed to spread it like wildfire across the country.

Lets wait for the official final verdict.
Old 9th November 2012, 11:27   #5008
BHPian

Last night went fro dinner to Ohris Jiva Imperia. It was my birthday and a thursday - so veggie dinner it was with family. Opted for the buffet. I normally do not eat veg food outside so these impressions come from a non-veg lover.

2 kinds of soup - Green peas and some chinese - both sucked. Started off on a very wrong note. Paneer starter was decent, vada was good. There was another veg tikki kind of starter, pretty bad.

There were the thin rice noodles and some pasta in salads. Noodles were good but the pasta was extremely chewy - almost inedible.

Mini dosas and pani puri was very good. Momos were so-so. Baby corn pie was superb and probably hero dish of the buffet. There were 4 different veg curries and only the marwari karela curry was very good and sarson da saag was decent. Rest all were okie dokie.

Dal khichdi was excellent while Gobi mutter biryani was a disaster.

Finished the dinner with some rasgulla and angoori gulab jamun which were fine.

Over all a decent experience but will be a one time experience only.

Cost for 3 adults and a kid - Rs.1057/-

PS: Most of the dishes on the menu for thaali are same as buffet. Don't know why they have two separate sections. The thaali costs the same as buffet (?).
Old 9th November 2012, 12:06   #5009
Senior - BHPian

Inox @ Secunderabad

For the benefit of people living in and around Kachiguda,the Maheshwari-Parameshwari theater has been taken over by Inox and rebranded and renovated and refurbished as Inox,Kachiguda and is now open for business.
Old 9th November 2012, 13:10   #5010
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Inox @ Secunderabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
For the benefit of people living in and around Kachiguda,the Maheshwari-Parameshwari theater has been taken over by Inox and rebranded and renovated and refurbished as Inox,Kachiguda and is now open for business.
Been a while now. I have already seen a couple of movies there and is stone's throw away from home

However, overall the screen sizes are ( I think 5 screens are there) rather small (Like Sensation but, with quality of INOX)

Next pit stop is to try their food court

Ravi, Birthday wishes again to you. I am sorry you had to go through the torture of vegetarian food. I can imagine that must have been a dampner to your otherwise lively Bday celebration...

Most Viewed