Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 29th November 2012, 16:55   #5041
Distinguished - BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Please make me a comprehensive and final wish list of the food that I need to get from Niagara at Chaderghat. It should include 2 snacks, 2 main courses and 1 biryani.

Will lunch time be a good idea to pick up the parcels or the taste of food is not upto the mark before midnight?
Bajaj Saab, to be honest never seen the inside of Naigara (both at Chaderghat and erstwhile Hyderguda) ever during daylight as I DONT prefer going to these places during day time.

The earliest that I have been to Naigara was earlier this week which was exactly around midnight. Been times when I visited them even at 3:00AM ( I think one instance where a few of us like Ravvs, Appu, Sabby, Vnabhi visited there) but, now cops are strict and ask them to close down by 1:00AM latest i think. We wanted to try Grand but, that was closed from front so even tried the backroute, even that was closed....pretty strange...then proceeded to Niagara.

I think their Rotis and Curries are really good except that they are slightly oily and they serve huge quanity. Biryani is inconsistent. We were lucky to get a good one this week. I would not recommend snack items from them.

Last edited by mobike008 : 29th November 2012 at 16:57.
Old 29th November 2012, 17:59   #5042
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I would not recommend snack items from them.
I think the other way round Avi Bhai. I found their Snack Items to be better than some of the other outlets around. I always found their Prawns to be far better and fresh compared to many outlets around. Their Prawns are cooked nicely with the right amount of spices just to tantalize those taste buds.

Their Tandoori Chicken is fully grilled on Charcoal and has that charcoaly flavour to it. The flavour missing at many places.

As far as their Gravies are concerned, yes the quantity they serve is Huge, by HUGE I mean Real Huge.
Old 29th November 2012, 18:02   #5043
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
I think the other way round Avi Bhai. I found their Snack Items to be better than some of the other outlets around. I always found their Prawns to be far better and fresh compared to many outlets around. Their Prawns are cooked nicely with the right amount of spices just to tantalize those taste buds..
Alrighty, never took any take away from them. Just to reiterate, you are recommending Naigara at Chaderghat...Where is their takeaway counter, never saw whenever i visited

Next time, CP and TC from them
Old 29th November 2012, 23:36   #5044
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Alrighty, never took any take away from them. Just to reiterate, you are recommending Naigara at Chaderghat...Where is their takeaway counter, never saw whenever i visited

Next time, CP and TC from them
Bro, the Take Away counter is near the entrance of the Niagara Hotel at Chaderghat. This is right behind the Haleem Counter at the hotel. If you see a huge display counter near the entrance, that's the place, which is a Take Away Counter for Niagara at Chaderghat.
Old 6th December 2012, 13:18   #5045
Senior - BHPian

Avial,Hitec City-Waste of money & Time

Was at Avial in Hitec City the other day.Decided to pay the place a visit after reading about it in the paper.Perfect example of how a well written piece can go a long way in getting people to come in once and never again.

My experience with the place:

-Dirty place.You would know what the previous people had eaten if you just look below your table(they just swipe all the leftovers from the table to below it!).So if you land up here,eat without looking down.Every table had a similar story

-Mosquitoes and flies were having a field day

-The huge glass facade facing the road was so damn dirty that even the halogen lights directed onto the glass couldnt find its way into the restaurant

-Ordered a chilly porotta & a kothu porotta and a plain dosa.Total disaster.The first two things had no resemblance to their original cousins and as for the dosa,the batter was so damn sour and the sambhar served was neither Keralite,nor Tamilian,nor Kannadiga,nor Telugu in nature-it was purely Aviyalian in nature I guess-the dal was burnt-period.The parathas were quite evidently the frozen ones thawed on the tava and spiced with whatever they could lay their hands on in the kitchen.Each one was priced at INR 100(what a ripoff-quantity was measly).The place has a buffet in the afternoon priced at INR 230(not sure if it actually happens-I saw it on the menu) and I shudder to think what it would be like!

What a total let down this place is.

Kailash Parbat-The Ripoff begins!

Wasnt I expecting this all the while-it was just a matter of time before this place too took the all too familiar route of hiking up their rates.The buffet lunch is NOW priced at INR 477 per head(all inclusive)-What a sham,service has begun to suffer terribly,crowds have swelled to more than what the staff can handle,its a free for all at the buffet tables and pitched battles are fought while people stand in line with plates in hand waiting for refills-YUCK.

Kailash Parbat has gone off my list for good,now lets see what Cream Centre has to offer

Last edited by bblost : 6th December 2012 at 13:48.
Old 6th December 2012, 15:04   #5046
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post

Was at Avial in Hitec City the other day.....
My experience with the place:
I was at Avial on Monday afternoon along with my family. My mom was pleasantly surprised to hear Tamil songs being played (we being Tamilians basically). As you said, the place is too dirty for restaurant standards. Tables are set very close to the chairs and it is a squeeze for people to get in. There was a long menu and without even looking at it, we ordered south Indian thali. It had a sambar, kootu (bitter gourd), poriyal (bitter gourd again ), rasam, payasam, pudina rice, decent quantity of plain rice and curd. Taste was decent. But dont expect the spicyness of Andhra cuisine. Everything is mild and none of the dishes will make you ask for more. It was not at all to my taste (I being a harcore Hyderabadi). But other folks liked it.

My parents would rate it 7/10 for overall experience. I would rate it 5/10
Old 6th December 2012, 21:48   #5047
BHPian

Quote:

Was at Avial in Hitec City the other day.
This is why sometimes its better to ask about a restaurant in this forum before going there. I would have personally come there to prevent you from eating there. Kerala Kitchen, Kondapur, though equally pricey, is miles ahead.
Another interesting thing about Avial is that they do not have the 'Avial' anywhere in their menu.

My eating out experiences in the last week

1. Abhiruchi Mess : Nr Durgam Cheruvu,
(the road that leads from Inorbit to Madhapur)

I have always skipped offers to visit this place, because from the stories I have heard, the food served in here is extremely spicy. Anyway, finally I decided to try it out myself last week and the experience was quite nice. I ordered Curd rice [Rs 50] with Kheema Fry [Rs 150] and Gongura Mutton Curry [Rs 150] as sides. The dishes were good, but personally I think our favourite KDM scores higher. I also think its costlier than the parcel counter at KDM.

2. Nautanki Galli : Cyber Pearl, Hitec city -

In short, Awesome ambience, Awful Food.

Other than the Chaats, nothing was worth a second helping. To top it they had pretty strange combinations for the main course, like Hunnan Fish, Rice, Sambhar, Biriyani and Chicken Handi. I do not know if they expected me to eat Indian and Chinese together as there was no sign of any Fried Rice or Noodles. . Or maybe they will have Fried Rice and Sambhar next.

3. Cafe Bahaar - Hyderguda ( Yesterday)

Finally got to eat their famed Brain Fry and loved every bit of it. Ordered Chicken Tikka Kebabs and Mutton Kheema Masala too. Each and every item is good. Will go there more often, only if it was a bit closer to home.
Old 6th December 2012, 21:55   #5048
BHPian

How is Mainland China, Hi tech city outlet? Have a team lunch tomorrow. I've been to Begumpet outlet and fell in love with Chinese food :-)

Same story here? Any pointers?
Old 6th December 2012, 22:08   #5049
BHPian

Rubaiyat (Ohris CP)
Amazing veg food - you can make out the taste of spices individually.
Recommended are Paneer Jali Tikka, Kahkashan, 4 Mix Daal.

Real hidden gem in Hyderabad.
Old 6th December 2012, 22:15   #5050
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny
2. Nautanki Galli : Cyber Pearl, Hitec city -

For me the moment I see Ohris written on a board it by default means-completely avoid!Their outlet on necklace road is awful and if torturing us poor humans and poor animals on the dishes wasnt enough its anybody's guess where all their drainage is being flushed into with a lovely lake as their backyard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh
How is Mainland China, Hi tech city outlet? Have a team lunch tomorrow. I've been to Begumpet outlet and fell in love with Chinese food :-)

We found the hitec city outlet to be miles ahead of their begumpet one both in terms of service and quality.The manager told us not to come on wednesdays and fridays for lunch as apparently these two days are when they see maximum hitec city offices' team lunches!so go early.
Old 6th December 2012, 22:42   #5051
BHPian

Quote:

For me the moment I see Ohris written on a board it by default means-completely avoid!Their outlet on necklace road is awful and if torturing us poor humans and poor animals on the dishes wasnt enough its anybody's guess where all their drainage is being flushed into with a lovely lake as their backyard!

We found the hitec city outlet to be miles ahead of their begumpet one both in terms of service and quality.The manager told us not to come on wednesdays and fridays for lunch as apparently these two days are when they see maximum hitec city offices' team lunches!so go early.
Can't. Friday prayers will keep me engaged till 2. I'll have to be content with leftovers.

About Ohris, can't agree more.
Old 7th December 2012, 11:34   #5052
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post

Quote:
I have been for the lunch buffet at HiTec City Mainland China once. Reached at 13:50, the place was literally empty. Good service. Pricey (I think it was 455/- per head) but that is to be expected from this group. They got me fresh noodles and fried rice directly from the kitchen as also all dry items including steamed wantons as I wanted all the food steaming and piping hot. Lots of fish and prawn dishes. The whole process (of eating) took me around 45 minutes. To sum up, I enjoyed myself and did want to go back but just have not been able to (and now I know that I should not visit on Wednesdays and Fridays).

The building housing Mainland China at Begumpet has a new hoarding : Oh! Calcutta. Feedback about this Bengali food outlet at other cities are pretty mixed. Nice food, authentic but certainly not VFM. No idea when it opens and what will be the pricing.

Sholay (the famous and most preferred TBHPian destination) located in Chikoti Garddens opposite Shoppers Stop at Begumpet has a buffet breakfast. Pretty decent menu priced @ 99/- (112/- AI) :
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-20121207_downsouth.jpg
A very big thanks to Downsouth for clicking and sharing this picture.

Just got a call and need to head out for lunch in another 45 minutes. Gadgetfreak had once said "A La Liberty" is the place for veggies. I have to go to a veggie place due to the guest being one. Thinking of this outlet. Need urgent feedback on whether a veggie lunch buffet is worth it here @ 369/- AI?

Last edited by hyd_traveller : 7th December 2012 at 11:48. Reason: Adding a query
Old 7th December 2012, 11:48   #5053
BHPian

Finally this thread has come back to its rightful place - the first page. Had me wondering where all the Hydie foodies were.

Yesterday evening it was sports day at my son's school, Chaitanya Vidyalaya and after the event all the parents and kids were waiting to leave when someone suggested we all go for dinner - kids and parents put together we were 42 people and went to 70mm, Necklace Road as that was the closest place where we could get buffet dinner.

Since it was a Thursday I was strictly veggie. Sadly not even one veg item among - Vada, crispy fried veg, lasagna, pepper broccoli rice, rajma, mixed veg curry, sambar was good. I had a bite of this and that and ended up eating fruits mostly.

Among the non-veggies I believe the biryani was good, rest all so-so. Costed us Rs.375/- per head.
Old 7th December 2012, 12:01   #5054
BHPian

Quote:
Just got a call and need to head out for lunch in another 45 minutes. Gadgetfreak had once said "A La Liberty" is the place for veggies. I have to go to a veggie place due to the guest being one. Thinking of this outlet. Need urgent feedback on whether a veggie lunch buffet is worth it here @ 369/- AI?
the best veggie buffet in my view is at Ohri Jiva Imperio in the White House building. I found nothing that beats this one.

Quote:
For me the moment I see Ohris written on a board it by default means-completely avoid!
thats an unfair generalization IMO. I agree some of their outlets are not up to the mark (esp the food courts) but they do have some gems like Jiva (veg buffet), Tansen, 1857, Mings Court, Far East, Pickles and not to forget the legendary Havmor. Mehfil used to be great but havent been there in ages and so cant speak abt its quality now.

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 7th December 2012 at 12:12.
Old 7th December 2012, 12:18   #5055
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thinking of this outlet. Need urgent feedback on whether a veggie lunch buffet is worth it here @ 369/- AI?
If thats the kind of budget you are looking at,then I would suggest you check out Kailash Parbat's buffet lunch(inspite of all my negative reviews which are directed more towards the pricing! ).Personally I found it to be the best veg lunch buffet and the unlimited chaats take the cake.If you havent been there it would be worth a try.

Most Viewed