Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th December 2012, 12:27   #5056
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
I have been for the lunch buffet at HiTec City Mainland China once. Reached at 13:50, the place was literally empty. Good service. Pricey (I think it was 455/- per head) but that is to be expected from this group. They got me fresh noodles and fried rice directly from the kitchen as also all dry items including steamed wantons as I wanted all the food steaming and piping hot. Lots of fish and prawn dishes. The whole process (of eating) took me around 45 minutes. To sum up, I enjoyed myself and did want to go back but just have not been able to (and now I know that I should not visit on Wednesdays and Fridays).

The building housing Mainland China at Begumpet has a new hoarding : Oh! Calcutta. Feedback about this Bengali food outlet at other cities are pretty mixed. Nice food, authentic but certainly not VFM. No idea when it opens and what will be the pricing.

Sholay (the famous and most preferred TBHPian destination) located in Chikoti Garddens opposite Shoppers Stop at Begumpet has a buffet breakfast. Pretty decent menu priced @ 99/- (112/- AI) :
Attachment 1023613
A very big thanks to Downsouth for clicking and sharing this picture.

Just got a call and need to head out for lunch in another 45 minutes. Gadgetfreak had once said "A La Liberty" is the place for veggies. I have to go to a veggie place due to the guest being one. Thinking of this outlet. Need urgent feedback on whether a veggie lunch buffet is worth it here @ 369/- AI?
Sir,

Liberty caterers are rated as one of the best caterers in town and this venture is theirs. Though I have not had tasted in their outlet but have been to parties where caterers where liberty guys. Have heard a lot of appreciation about their food and I am sure it will not let you down.
Old 7th December 2012, 15:05   #5057
BHPian

Been to A-1 Biryani Paradise for lunch. Had Chicken Tikka Masala with roti & mutton biryani.

I was surprised by the good quality CTM. Tasted very good and the chicken tikka was nice too. Mutton biryani was great with good amount of masala and well cooked rice, al-dente mutton.

Cost for CTM, 4 rotis, mutton biryani, water bottle and a cup of irani chai was Rs.389.00 and the food was more than sufficient for 2 of us.
Old 7th December 2012, 15:06   #5058
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
Another interesting thing about Avial is that they do not have the 'Avial' anywhere in their menu.
My mom makes at home the best Avial that I ever had in my life. Next would be at a Tamilian friend's home.

Quote:
1. Abhiruchi Mess : Nr Durgam Cheruvu,
(the road that leads from Inorbit to Madhapur)
KDM is VFM but, has a set number of dishes. I got bored of KDM Mutton Fry and Prawns Fry. Time to taste their other dishes which I am sure are not up to the same level.

Sadly, they dont serve Gongura Mutton

Quote:
Nautanki Galli : Cyber Pearl, Hitec city -
In short, Awesome ambience, Awful Food.
Perfectly summed up review. However, I find neither the ambience nor the food even decent. Ambience is LOUD and food as you said has all wrong combinations and is only about quanity of items available but, zilch quality

Quote:
Cafe Bahaar - Hyderguda ( Yesterday)
I stay 1kms from Bahar so its pretty close to me and pass it every day twice. Once in morning and once in evening. but, it never invokes in me a feeling to visit it and buy something there.

Have tried their kebabs a few times. Decent. Biryani, I will never eat there as it never impressed me

Quote:
Originally Posted by LonelyPlanet View Post
Rubaiyat (Ohris CP)
Amazing veg food - you can make out the taste of spices individually.
Recommended are Paneer Jali Tikka, Kahkashan, 4 Mix Daal.Real hidden gem in Hyderabad.
+1 on that. Rubayait has fabulous ambience and amazing mocktails ( this is best in town i would say) and food is also pretty good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
For me the moment I see Ohris written on a board it by default means-completely avoid!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
thats an unfair generalization IMO. I agree some of their outlets are not up to the mark (esp the food courts) but they do have some gems like Jiva (veg buffet), Tansen, 1857, Mings Court, Far East, Pickles and not to forget the legendary Havmor. Mehfil used to be great but havent been there in ages and so cant speak abt its quality now.
Agree with Anand here. Its incorrect to generalize. The problem with them is they opened too many restuarants too quickly in Hyderabad. In a way Ravi Ohri went beserk in his quest to open restuarants in Hyd

But, they still have many great eating places, namely :-

Havemore
Mings Court (Basheerbagh) is my all time favorite for chinese
Pickles
Gufaa (Basheerbagh). Great ambience and good food
Mehfil (Clock Tower). Great ambience and great food
Tansen. Super awesome ambience and equally awesome food
1857. Same as above
Serengiti. Same as above

The only problem is their fine dining restaurant above serves good food but, the taxes levied is ludicrous.

Quote:
Sholay (the famous and most preferred TBHPian destination) located in Chikoti Garddens opposite Shoppers Stop at Begumpet has a buffet breakfast. Pretty decent menu priced @ 99/- (112/- AI)
Nice to know even though i am not a breakfast person. Sholay beats hands down to being my favorite place to dine in twin cities for reasons below :-

Lovely Ambience
Usually not crowded so you can enjoy your meal
Fast service
Great food
Offers once in a while
Discount

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Finally this thread has come back to its rightful place - the first page. Had me wondering where all the Hydie foodies were.
You said it. I thought you, me, Bajaj Saab and Traveloholic are on a crash diet...LOL

Quote:
went to 70mm, Necklace Road as that was the closest place where we could get buffet dinner.
How can you go to that place? Its the same situation with Ohris massive lunch buffets. It's like a show-off wedding. 100 items but, only 3-4 items taste good. Purpose served ( that of enticing unsuspecting customers with their 100 item carrot..LOL)

Some of the Ohri's that I will never visit in my life are :-

Ohris Buffets ( All over the place except Pickles)
Ohris Far East
Ohris ground floor at Rd.12
All hitec city outlets ( these are particularly bad as all IT folks are gate-crashing into them as if free food is being served...no offense to anyone)
Ohris Train (forgetting the name...at Basheerbagh)
Old 7th December 2012, 16:01   #5059
BHPian

Just came back from Mainland China, Hitech city outlet. The crowd was normal like you would expect during lunch/dinner. Not over crowded. Limited dishes in buffet but not one was dissapointing. Separate counters for veg and non-veg.

Buffet consists 1 chicken starter, chicken momos, 1 fried rice, 1 noodles, 1 prawn curry, 1 shreded chicken curry, 1 fish curry (spicy) and in

Dessert - Daarsaan (a fried wafer kind of thing dipped in sugar syrup), mango pudding, almond curd cubes usual ice creams and fruits (watermelon and papaya).

Taste was impressive but the buffet could do more with some more interesting dishes.

Report card -
Taste - 8/10
Variety of dishes - 6/10
Service - 7/10
VFM - Ask my manager
Old 7th December 2012, 16:04   #5060
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
KDM is VFM but, has a set number of dishes. I got bored of KDM Mutton Fry and Prawns Fry. Time to taste their other dishes which I am sure are not up to the same level.

Sadly, they dont serve Gongura Mutton
You can try the chicken roast / chicken fry / curry. All are good. Even the crab is good there and also Murrel curry.

Quote:

How can you go to that place? Its the same situation with Ohris massive lunch buffets. It's like a show-off wedding. 100 items but, only 3-4 items taste good. Purpose served ( that of enticing unsuspecting customers with their 100 item carrot..LOL)
We were looking for a wedding kind of place because that was the only place which could accommodate close to 50 people dropping in without notice. I spoke to the Ming's Court guys but they did not have so much space and kids did not want to sit all over the restaurant at different tables.

I anyway did not care because it was a Thursday and I was ok with any place.
Old 7th December 2012, 16:32   #5061
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
Daarsaan (a fried wafer kind of thing dipped in sugar syrup)
It is spelled as "Darsaan" and is fried flat noodles coated with honey. Goes very well with vanilla ice cream. I love it.
Old 7th December 2012, 16:33   #5062
BHPian

Quote:
You said it. I thought you, me, Bajaj Saab and Traveloholic are on a crash diet...LOL
I am on a sort of Crash-To-Bed Diet these days. Most of the dining outside is pretty quiet. Shall post some pics soon.

Quote:
Been to A-1 Biryani Paradise for lunch. Had Chicken Tikka Masala with roti & mutton biryani.
Where is this A-1 Biryani Paradise? Is it better than Paradise Biryani, the only Biryani liked by the Foodie Mod here :P

Quote:
Dessert - Daarsaan (a fried wafer kind of thing dipped in sugar syrup)
Farukh, Darsaan ain't no Fried Wafer but Flat Noodles, Fried and dipped in Honey. Darsaan tastes amazing with Ice Cream, a dollop of Jellies and a spoon full of Honey on top. Darsaan, I am salivating right now.

I miss my good ol' Grand Wok. Lunch or Dinner buffets ar Grand Wok were always VFM.

Quote:
It is spelled as "Darsaan" and is fried flat noodles coated with honey. Goes very well with vanilla ice cream. I love it.
Bajaj Saab, you beat me in this. I was just few seconds behind. I am cursing myself, Why did I reply about the Biryani and my Crash-To-Bed Diet.

Last edited by traveloholic : 7th December 2012 at 16:36. Reason: Had to edit it as had to add my Crib Message because Bajaj Saab posted it before me :P
Old 7th December 2012, 16:47   #5063
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveloholic View Post
Farukh, Darsaan ain't no Fried Wafer but Flat Noodles, Fried and dipped in Sugar Syrup. Darsaan tastes amazing with Ice Cream, a dollop of Jellies and a spoon full of Honey on top. Darsaan, I am salivating right now.

I miss my good ol' Grand Wok. Lunch or Dinner buffets ar Grand Wok were always VFM.
When I first saw it, reminded me of a snack that is made in Diwali. It tasted good. Didn't know it could go better with an ice cream. There's always is a next time

I think we've ignited enough spark for the weekend dining. Second weekend, pockets ain't empty yet

BTW... where is Grand wok?
Old 7th December 2012, 22:19   #5064
BHPian

Quote:
When I first saw it, reminded me of a snack that is made in Diwali. It tasted good. Didn't know it could go better with an ice cream. There's always is a next time
Shakkar Para is on your mind right now and I am sure about it. Darsaan only tastes good with vanilla ice cream.

Quote:
BTW... where is Grand wok?
Grand Wok is long gone and has been replaced with a new restaurant "Grand Fuze". I am still to try it out. Grand Wok was and Grand Fuze is in Alcazar Plaza, Banjara Hills. This is bang opposite to City Center Mall.
Old 8th December 2012, 08:42   #5065
BHPian

Quote:
Found this on FB and thought it will be useful to all the foodies:
Attachment 1011711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Notyetgrey View Post
Also found on FB
http://www.legallyindia.com/20121105...nterest-notice
Looks like the interpretation of Delhi Bar Association is wrong.
Quote:
Thanks Ravi for that extremely useful post

Bajaj Saab, so that post by Rajsekhar Reddy's friend on email on same subject was infact correct and we all pounced on the guy who wrote saying he knew nothing about rules etc
Quote:
Oh Oh. Lets wait and see how they react.
Avi, check the link posted by notyetgrey
Quote:
Must accept that who so ever started this service tax issue has managed to spread it like wildfire across the country.

Lets wait for the official final verdict.
So, the clarification is finally here by the Government on Service Tax issue as can be seen on Page 11 of The Deccan Chronicle of Hyderabad today :
A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-servicetax.jpg
Old 8th December 2012, 10:28   #5066
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Shakkar Para is on your mind right now and I am sure about it. Darsaan only tastes good with vanilla ice cream.
I hate Shakkar Para. It is what it means. Maida deep fried and coated heavily with sugar. I used to like it before but, now since i am careful about my sugar in-take these days, I dont like it

Btw, Shivnath at Esamia Bazar makes some good Shakkar Para

Quote:
Grand Wok is long gone and has been replaced with a new restaurant "Grand Fuze".
Been to Grand Wok a few times and only because of his offer of set meal on table for a reasonable price of 199 or 299. But, honestly speaking their food was highly inconsistent and service was nonchalant and decor and space nothing to speak about

I dont miss them. Infact, I feel it was a good riddance

Quote:
So, the clarification is finally here by the Government on Service Tax issue as can be seen on Page 11 of The Deccan Chronicle of Hyderabad today
Not very clear. Can you please explain in layman terms?
Old 8th December 2012, 16:37   #5067
BHPian

Quote:
I dont miss them. Infact, I feel it was a good riddance
To each, his own Avi Bhai. I used to like the food at Grand Wok for the Prawns he used to serve. Moreover, as he was majorly into buffets, what kind of an inconsistency are we speaking about as the Menu used to be changed on regular basis and no two dishes served in consecutive menu's were similar. If you are speaking about inconsistency in terms of the taste of the dish, I would say that 90% of the outlets in Hyderabad fall in this category. The same dish at Shanghai Chef on different days taste different. But, why on earth would one go to a restaurant a number of times and order the same dishes again and again.
Old 8th December 2012, 23:31   #5068
BHPian

Quote:
My mom makes at home the best Avial that I ever had in my life. Next would be at a Tamilian friend's home.
I'm not sure you have tried the real Kerala style Avial that is served at our Wedding feasts (Sadhya). Though in essence both the Mallu and Tamilian versions have a similar assortment of vegetables, its still different like chalk and cheese. I do not know where you can get the real Kerala Avial in Hyderabad, even the ones in Kerala Kitchen and Uttupura are not as authentic as I would like.

Quote:
Sholay beats hands down to being my favorite place to dine in twin cities for reasons below :-

Lovely Ambience
Usually not crowded so you can enjoy your meal
Fast service
Great food
Offers once in a while
Discount
Finally after hearing so much, I did make it to Sholay this afternoon.

We had the following (prices in brackets)

1. Mocktails - Virgin Strawberry Colada (150) and 'Peda' wali Lassi (65)
2. Sweet Corn chicken soup (75)
3. Fish Tikka Kebabs (225)
4. Desi Ghee ke paranthe (110)
5. Makki ki roti and Sarson Ki saag (210)
6. Bhatinda Ki Kukkad (250)

Total inclusive of Service Tax and service Charges came to around 1300/-

I was not too impressed with the Ambience, though. It is spacious alright, but looked old and run down. The menu cards for example had loose flaps and looked shoddy. The concept is good, but as someone said, once the novelty runs out, it just looks ordinary.

Coming to the food, we had no complaints. Each and every item was awesome, other than the chicken dish which had pieces which were a bit rubbery. The rotis were very nice.

Will I go there again ? Hmm..not really, If I had to spend 1300 for lunch for two, I would rather go to Via Milano or Truffles Cafe and eat something more exotic.
Old 9th December 2012, 09:08   #5069
Senior - BHPian

Cream Centre-Jubilee Hills-Wouldnt go back

Cream Centre is opening officially today but we were there yesterday.They were on soft launch mode yesterday and we happened to be there.My impressions:

-Way too expensive.Chaats in the region of INR 170(all inclusive for very meagre portions)
-Taste average
-Measly quantity.6 corn cheese balls for 200 is a killer
-Ambience does not exist
-The washroom is terribly placed,opening bang onto a table
-Way too cluttered,reminded me of a classroom with tables n chairs cramped in.
-Service people as usual all confused and too many asst managers and managers
-This one's no competition for Kailash Parbat
-A meal for two cost us 700rs all inclusive (2 sizzlers).14.5 VAT included and 5 % SC included
-Valet does not know how to park,so dont risk giving your car to him.Either he is too tensed or this is his first job,my car kept going off and on so many times when he was trying to drive away that I finally asked him to get down and parked myself.
-Sizzler presentation is sad,one part of the sizzler pan had all the sauces and the other part was bone dry-not a good sign at all.The
-Overall we wouldnt go back here for sure.If the taste was good,we might have gone back.This one's no comparison to their Mumbai outlets.Kailash Parbat can rest easy.
-The least I would have expected during a soft launch was to ask for feedback or suggestion-nothing was done and no feedback mechanism in the form of feedback cards etc available.The owners(atleast thats what the impression given out was that they were the owners) were sitting in the adjacent tables and watching television and for me thats the difference between competition-I am forced to compare with KP where you see the owners running around but at the same time being unobtrusive.This place IMO isnt going to take off simply because of the indifferent attitude,but having said that-wishing them all the best

Last edited by ranjitp1 : 9th December 2012 at 09:38.
Old 9th December 2012, 09:34   #5070
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
The concept is good, but as someone said, once the novelty runs out, it just looks ordinary.
Agree on this. They been running on same concept for a long time. They need to hit the F5 button

Quote:
Will I go there again ? Hmm..not really, If I had to spend 1300 for lunch for two, I would rather go to Via Milano or Truffles Cafe and eat something more exotic.
Hmmm, thats where we differ in opinion. I am not a huge fan of continental dishes. I am totally north indian desi in my palate

Quote:
I used to like the food at Grand Wok for the Prawns he used to serve.
Well, It seems their awesome prawns couldnt help them from shutting shop. Has it?....Restuarants dont close if their food is good and consistent in taste

Quote:
Moreover, as he was majorly into buffets, what kind of an inconsistency are we speaking about as the Menu used to be changed on regular basis and no two dishes served in consecutive menu's were similar. If you are speaking about inconsistency in terms of the taste of the dish, I would say that 90% of the outlets in Hyderabad fall in this category. The same dish at Shanghai Chef on different days taste different. But, why on earth would one go to a restaurant a number of times and order the same dishes again and again.
Exactly my point. Their concept itself was wrong. If you run a restuarant with ONLY buffet concept then it will sooner than later shut shop as you cannot maintain quality in a buffet concept as its volumes that plays a major role

Places like Shangai Chef survives because of Ala-carte on offer. Their are plenty of places that offer consistent taste like Blue Fox, Palace Heights, Sholay, Paradise, Souther Mirchi, a few ohri's fine dining places etc..etc and maybe many other smaller places too i guess because that's how they survive.

If they begin to dole out sad food, they will be out of business like GW even before they make an impact on city's food industry

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks