Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2013, 11:17   #5416
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

My friend and his wife are in town from Baroda / Ankleshwar. I and my wife took them to Jewel Of Nizam last night for dinner. Whatsapped mobike008 for recommendations before I went there.

Ordered the following without referring to the menu even once, going by Avi's reco and captains suggestions:

Marg soup @ 175/- each (ordered 2/4) was superb. Creamy, mildly thick soup, full of flavor. For starters we ordered Shammi Kebab @ 345/- and Barkas Pathar Ka Gosht @ 345/-. Both were fantastic. All of us loved the starters.

This was followed by haleem (1 haleem @ 450/- shared by 4 of us) which was again good.

The main course was chicken biryani @ 455/- and mutton biryani @ 485/-. Sad. the biryani did not live up to the reputation. They were decent but definitely not the best I expected them to be. Chicken biryani was better then MB. I was disappointed.

For desserts we ordered 1 each of Khubani ka meetha @ 215/-, Phirni @ 195/- and double ka meetha @ 195/-. All of them were good.

Over all except for the biryani, the dinner was a success. Not to say biryanis were bad, just that they fell short of expectations.

Total bill came to Rs.4233/-
Old 17th March 2013, 12:35   #5417

Friday night went to Paradise at NTR Gardens near Imax for dinner. The place was packed, but we got a table almost immediately. The staff was quite courteous and attentive at the beginning. Here's what we ordered for 4 adults and a 5 yr old kid :

Veg spring roll : (Rs.166/-) Perfectly cooked, enjoyable.

Fish Malai Kabab : (Rs.270/-) Bland, no real taste, but certainly, the softest fish kabab I've ever come across ! My son enjoyed it immensely. The accompanying mint chutney was the saviour for me.

Kadai Paneer : (Rs.192/-) Good dish, soft paneer, curiously, there was more capsicum than paneer in the dish !

Butter Nans : (Rs.52/- each)

Veg Biryani : (Rs.192/-) Just ok. The saalan and raita were good.

Total damages : Rs. 1250/- including tip, and 14.5% VAT. The only grouse I had was that the waiters were very inattentive, had to remind them so many times to refill water in our glasses.
Old 18th March 2013, 11:25   #5418
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honda2k View Post
Friday night went to Paradise at NTR Gardens

Fish Malai Kabab

Veg Biryani
Why on earth did you not order chicken or mutton biryani when you are ok with nonveg and took time to visit Paradise? They are the 2 reasons why people go there.

Veg biryani at Paradise is just some aalu, beans n carrot buried in almost bland rice...tho its better than their "egg biryani" which is a mound of bland rice with 2 boiled eggs.
Old 18th March 2013, 11:35   #5419
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
21 of us, neighbours in the apartment complex where we all live, decided to have a republic day lunch at Circle Restaurant in Hotel Square located at Paryatak Bhawan at Greenlands Junction, the same place from where the Airport AeroExpress Buses used to start earlier. This hotel was earlier under the management of Katriya Group and was called Katriya De Royale but is now managed by Butta Group (the same people who run Yatri Nivas in Secunderabad).
Saturday was in this area and remembered reading your review.

The food was nice and the service was excellent.

They had 2 starters, chicken 65 and some fish dish.
The fish was a little confusing till I released it was cooked in ghee.
Liked it though it was a little different.

They also had boiled fish. My wife did not like it, I liked it.

Biryani was ok.
My wife liked all the vegetable curries. I liked a mutton gravy that had perfectly cooked meat.

The Deserts counter was not very enticing.

Looks like there was some seminar or meeting going on. There was a big group of guys.

Sharing the dining hall with that group was disgusting.
When will people learn some basic etiquette.
Standing next to the food counter and eating while there is ample seating all around.
Mixing up serving spoons. Dipping a spoon from a vegetarian dish into a chicken gravy.
Old 18th March 2013, 11:47   #5420
BHPian

Finally visited Kushaiguda market yesterday. Thanks to everyone who suggested it.
The veggie market is the biggest and can find only few shops for Non-Veg. Fish stalls occupy the most of it. Varieties were good, atleast can find some sea fishes which we have eaten. Went there a little late, so the rush in there is minimal. Next time, will go early morning.
Bought some Ayila alone, since we had decided to cook mutton gravy.
Old 18th March 2013, 13:23   #5421
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
aah...the divine Smoked Chicken curry at Reshmi!!! And the Langar waali daal.
Yeah, their Smoked Chicken Curry is pretty good. But, i find almost everything at Reshmi's quite good. Almost like made at home

Mom wasnt interested in Reshmi's when suggested and our dinner is still pending. Hopefully in next day or two. Most probably will try out Silk Route provided she wants to eat chinese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
No, I did not. I over heard that original owner sold this outlet and since then quality started deteriorating
Eh? Sohail Sold the outlet? Let me get the right info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Last night ordered take away from Prince, Mehdipatnam.Half grilled chicken and chicken biryani - Rs.200.00 for 2 people. Awesome food. Chicken was grilled to perfection, biryani was fantastic - right amount of masala, juicy chicken leg piece, well cooked rice.
Last night, I personally went to Prince and got a Chicken Biryani take-away. Mine was the first biryani out of a fresh Dekcha.

Got a huge breast piece, one neck piece ( urghhh) and huge quantity of rice with double masala. Very nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
My friend and his wife are in town from Baroda / Ankleshwar. I and my wife took them to Jewel Of Nizam last night for dinner. Whatsapped mobike008 for recommendations before I went there.

Ordered the following without referring to the menu even once, going by Avi's reco and captains suggestions:
Did you strike a lottery of what? Spending 10K in 2 days...Jokes apart, JoN is a special place with special stuff.

We enjoyed the snacks too and if i recall correctly, i had also mentioned that Chicken Biryani was better than Mutton based on a tasting session

Quote:
Why on earth did you not order chicken or mutton biryani when you are ok with nonveg and took time to visit Paradise? They are the 2 reasons why people go there.
+1. I had to read twice to beileve that you (OP) actually ordered that in Paradise.

I note many people even order, noodles, fried rice and chinese soups...LOL

Paradise tries best to be a multicuisine restuarant but, they are good in NV Snacks,NV Biryanis, Curries and Rotis

Quote:
Veg biryani at Paradise is just some aalu, beans n carrot buried in almost bland rice...tho its better than their "egg biryani" which is a mound of bland rice with 2 boiled eggs.
Can you speak English please? Whats Veg Biryani and Egg Biryani?

Last edited by mobike008 : 18th March 2013 at 13:25.
Old 18th March 2013, 13:37   #5422
Senior - BHPian

This Saturday i went to Panjagutta Nainies, Quality of Raw pork was really good. And guy at the shop was very courteous. And price per kg is just Rs 120, In bangalore its Rs 160 to 180.

Quote:
There is a 'Naini Pork' outlet at Panjagutta cross-roads, in the bye-lane just before the signals, if you are driving from Ameerpet to Panjagutta, on the left hand side. Has a good reputation, keeps fresh pork items as well as pork sausages, bacon, Goan sausages, and other fresh cuts as well as processed items. Best part is the owner keeps everything spanking clean and tidy. Sorry, no idea about any pork place in Hitech city.
Quote:
I ate Chilli Fried Pork and it was melt in the mouth type.

I am a regular at "New Nainies" at Punjagutta.

He stocks amazing chicken pepper salami and also chicken jalepeno salami and chicken olive salami though the availability is not there always.
Old 18th March 2013, 14:27   #5423

Quote:

Lol !!! I was expecting that, for sure ! The reason I didnt order my fave mutton biryani is because I was the only non-vegetarian guy in the group, barring my 5 yr old son. I dont think I could have finished that by myself, and the other 3 vegetarians in my group were very keen to try out the famous "paradise" veg biryani. I tried dissuading them saying that there is no such thing as the famous "Paradise" veg biryani, but I guess, sometimes the ball isn't in our court to hit !!!
Old 18th March 2013, 16:15   #5424
BHPian

Quote:
The reason I didnt order my fave mutton biryani is because I was the only non-vegetarian guy in the group, barring my 5 yr old son. I dont think I could have finished that by myself
There is something called the 'Parcel' you can pack the leftovers in... :-)
Quote:
, and the other 3 vegetarians in my group were very keen to try out the famous "paradise" veg biryani.
and now those three would for ever carry a bad impression of Paradise and bad mouth it everywhere as 'over-hyped' :-(
Old 18th March 2013, 16:29   #5425
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
There is something called the 'Parcel' you can pack the leftovers in... :-)
and now those three would for ever carry a bad impression of Paradise and bad mouth it everywhere as 'over-hyped' :-(
Andy, looks like your a supporter of Paradise like me. Btw, iam not getting any commission, are you?

Jokes aside, whenever i visit a place and even if I dont have the banwidth to eat their speciality ( e.g : MB in Paradise or Ginger Chicken in Papaji etc..etc), I still go ahead and order it and wink at my wife which indicates, whatever we cannot eat, goes back as a take-away?

It makes sense as it saves a trip just for one dish from a special place.
Old 18th March 2013, 16:46   #5426
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Andy, looks like your a supporter of Paradise like me.
oh yeah I love Paradise biryani. And also that of Bahar, Astoria, Shadab, Sarvi, Mohini, Dine Hill, Zurna etc. Yet to try Prince and JoN.

I find biryani at each outlet offers something unique in taste and I enjoy them all. So this arguement of which outlet sells the best biryani is really a clash of opinions about whether one appreciates a specific taste or not.

The only biryani I do not like is the one from Hyderabad House. But then again there would be people who might swear on Hyderabad House!
Old 18th March 2013, 17:35   #5427
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
oh yeah I love Paradise biryani. And also that of Bahar, Astoria, Shadab, Sarvi, Mohini, Dine Hill, Zurna etc. Yet to try Prince and JoN.
You missed out Alpha.This place also serves one of the best Chicken Biryani in twin cities.
Old 18th March 2013, 19:14   #5428
BHPian

Quote:
Fish Malai Kabab : (Rs.270/-) Bland, no real taste, but certainly, the softest fish kabab I've ever come across ! My son enjoyed it immensely. The accompanying mint chutney was the saviour for me.
A fish can never ever have any taste. It is supposed to be bland. The taste comes from the batter or the marinate coating.

The famous English style Fish & Chips with Tartar is prepared using a nice big sized boneless fillet of Cod Fish (the nearest to it in India is Murrel Fish) which is dipped in ice-cold beer batter and then deep fried. The beauty of this style of cooking is that the beer helps create an air pocket and also provide enough water all around the fish and the fish thus only gets steamed whereas the batter gets deep fried. If one does not eat the batter / coating, it is one of the healthiest ways to eat a fish but then be prepared to get a bland taste. The good taste as we, humans, like comes from the batter / coating, from the tartar and from the chips, all of which are unhealthy and full of calories.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
They also had boiled fish. My wife did not like it, I liked it.

Looks like there was some seminar or meeting going on. There was a big group of guys.
Sharing the dining hall with that group was disgusting.
When will people learn some basic etiquette.
Standing next to the food counter and eating while there is ample seating all around.
Mixing up serving spoons. Dipping a spoon from a vegetarian dish into a chicken gravy.
Was it boiled fish or steamed fish?

I have become immune to such type of people who eat right of the counters but I make it a point to request the serving staff to arrange me a few select choice of dishes direct from the kitchen or take only those which do not see such people hovering around.
Quote:
Last night, I personally went to Prince and got a Chicken Biryani take-away.

Got a huge breast piece, one neck piece ( urghhh) and huge quantity of rice with double masala.
Prince has only 2 types of biryani :

One is called Chicken Biryani and which has chicken in it.

The other is called Mutton Biryani which does "NOT" have mutton in it.

The Mutton Biryani has beef in it but is called mutton there.

I had it at Vnabhi's place a few weeks back and from what I recollect, it had only boneless pieces. It was nice!
Old 18th March 2013, 20:15   #5429
BHPian

Quote:
Did you strike a lottery of what? Spending 10K in 2 days...Jokes apart, JoN is a special place with special stuff.
Hahaha. No such luck. My friend is here on a holiday with his parents, wife and a 1 year old kid and they are staying at the Hyatt and the lunch was on him. The dinner was my treat though.

Quote:
Prince has only 2 types of biryani :

One is called Chicken Biryani and which has chicken in it.

The other is called Mutton Biryani which does "NOT" have mutton in it.

The Mutton Biryani has beef in it but is called mutton there.

I had it at Vnabhi's place a few weeks back and from what I recollect, it had only boneless pieces. It was nice!
At Prince & Alhamdulillah mutton means only Beef and if I remember correctly they clearly mention this on the menu.
Old 19th March 2013, 01:22   #5430
BHPian

Food update during the weekend

On Friday during work went to Palamuru Grill as recomended by Norules. Took away Chiken Kabab and Mutton Biryani for 2 and the bill came to Rs 380.

The Kabab tasted amazing as it was skewed on charcoal and had a real aromatic fragrance and melt in the mouth tender meat. The biryani had huge chunks of mutton pieces throughly cooked with the right kind of masala to it. The food is on the spicier side though tasted heavenly. Me and my friend could not finish one full biryani as the quantity was huge.

Picture of the meat being grilled @ Palamuru Grill

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0876.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0877.jpg

On Saturday took wife and kid out to Cream Center

Ordered
American corn cheese balls @ Rs 165 - Excellent
Italian Herbed Chilli Cheese toast @ Rs 139 - Bland was kind of ok
Bathura @ Rs 49 yummy
Channa @ Rs 139 yummy soft chik peas and boiled potatoes
Crispy Aloo Tikki Sizzler @ Rs 279 Would rate it 6 out of 10
All this was washed down with
1 Pink Strawberry Soda @ 149 amazing
1 Sunset drive @ 139 was too good.

VAT was charged @ 14.5%
Service Charge @ 5%

Total Bill - Rs 1266
Wife totally loved this place

Some pictures

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0882.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0883.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0885.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0889.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0892.jpg

A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad-imag0893.jpg

Finally on Sunday was too lazy to drive out anywhere so got a parcel of biryani from Swagath Grand @ A.S.Raonagar Main road.

1 Chicken Biryani which I did not taste and 1 Mutton Biryani which had good amount of spicy masala which was too good. Total bill for both Rs 310.

Most Viewed