Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2013, 09:58   #5581
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Last week, had a late lunch at Sree Krishna Residency, Miyapur. The star of the day was the delicious Emu Curry. Emu is a big flightless bird, and its meat is lower in cholesterol and fat compared to mutton and beef. It is cooked and tastes like red meat rather than poultry. More details about Emu here.

Emu curry is not in their menu, but was advertised outside the hotel. The dish was delicious with the right kind of spices and soft and juicy meat. We ordered a plain roti, missi roti and chicken biryani to go with it. Missi roti was too brittle and plain roti was ok. Chicken biriyani was excellent with 4 medium size pieces and ample quanity.

Decor:
The restaurant had lot of space and hardly 4-5 tables were occupied. It had soft lighting and very good air conditioning but nothing special. Looks like a typical Hyderabad restaurant.

Service:
This was pathetic. The staff didn't seem to have any clue of how to attend to customers. Though there were only 4-5 tables occupied, the waiters were mostly whiling their time talking to each other or crowding around the cash counter. They forgot my chicken biriyani order and had to remind them to get it.

Will I go there again? Yes, since it is quite close to my house, and taste was fine but perhaps only for take away.

Total Damages (approx):
Emu Curry - Rs. 250/-
Rotis - Rs. 30 - 40 per piece
Biriyani - Rs. 165/-
Old 17th May 2013, 11:51   #5582
BHPian

After hearing so many great reviews about Kakatiya Mess, been there last night for dinner with a friend. We ordered Bonesless chicken biryani and the very famous "Kakatiya Mutton Fry". Oh my, the mutton fry was so yummy and tasty. It was exactly the way every TBHP member on this forum described. The bonessless chicken biryani was also fantastic but mutton fry takes the front chair. I will go back again this weekend to try out their prawns fry and meals.
Old 17th May 2013, 12:12   #5583
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rknair View Post
The star of the day was the delicious Emu Curry. Emu is a big flightless bird, and its meat is lower in cholesterol and fat compared to mutton and beef. It is cooked and tastes like red meat rather than poultry.
You reminded me of a sob story which haunts me everytime i see/hear about emu.

So ages ago i used to be regular at 'Tony ka dhaba' around lonavla (mid way between mumbai -pune)

They used to have emu birds in cages roaming around (i did not know that was on the menu),i was feeding one such emu bird with jowar and my friends were ordering dinner.

After a while thinking it was chicken curry i ate the 'emu curry' liked it ,checked with the waiter who told me with a smile 'Its the same bird you were feeding a while ago'

Had quit eating non veg for like 6 months till i finally got over that thought.
Old 17th May 2013, 12:47   #5584
BHPian

Quote:
The star of the day was the delicious Emu Curry. Emu is a big flightless bird, and its meat is lower in cholesterol and fat compared to mutton and beef.
I have never eaten Emu curry though I have eaten Emu pickle but you do not get the right taste of meat in the pickle.

Will definitely try it next time I am in Miyapur area.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
You reminded me of a sob story which haunts me everytime i see/hear about emu.
i was feeding one such emu bird with jowar and my friends were ordering dinner.

the waiter who told me with a smile 'Its the same bird you were feeding a while ago'

Oh man. That must have been a terrible feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankShaft05 View Post
After hearing so many great reviews about Kakatiya Mess, been there last night for dinner with a friend. Oh my, the mutton fry was so yummy and tasty. It was exactly the way every TBHP member on this forum described.
Hahaha. I love it when people try out KDM based on recos here and come back with such glowing reviews.

Next time do try their mutton curry which is equally good. Even naatu kodi curry / fry and prawns fry are excellent.
Old 17th May 2013, 13:58   #5585
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
I have never eaten Emu curry though I have eaten Emu pickle but you do not get the right taste of meat in the pickle.

Will definitely try it next time I am in Miyapur area.

Oh man. That must have been a terrible feeling.

Hahaha. I love it when people try out KDM based on recos here and come back with such glowing reviews.

Next time do try their mutton curry which is equally good. Even naatu kodi curry / fry and prawns fry are excellent.
Sure NoRules!! Iam aiming at trying the prawns fry, mutton curry and even naatu kodi curry(as suggested by you ) at KDM. Planning to do that on the weekend and sometime next week.
Old 17th May 2013, 14:07   #5586
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Yeah, its good. But, not worth the small quantity for Rs.200 a cup. I would rather eat the Alphonso mango fruit directly

Last week, we visited "Kakatiya Delux Mess" for lunch.
Agree. Definitely not worth 200 Just a seasonal flavour ,worth giving a single shot!

BTW i am all excited to try KDM after hearing mouth watering reviews by everyone about it . Can you confirm if this is the one near Dilsukhnagar(googled)?
Old 17th May 2013, 14:22   #5587
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post
Can I have a list of the best 5 Punjabi dhabas/restaurants of Hyderabad along with the names of their best dishes.
Papaji Ka Dhaba
Delhi Durbar
Mama's Dhaba
Reshmi's
Hadippa ( only for Veg though as their NV is rapidy losing flavours)
Creamstone (Veg)
Bikanerwala (Veg)

Many more are there......

All of above serve authentic ( as close as its possible) N.I fare

And, why eat chicken biryani from paradise when its a known fact it isnt that good?

Also, i think its been a while i took a KDM Prawn fry parcel for me to think the dish is yellow color. My Bad

Quote:
Last week, had a late lunch at Sree Krishna Residency, Miyapur. The star of the day was the delicious Emu Curry.
God. Sounds terrible

Quote:
After hearing so many great reviews about Kakatiya Mess, been there last night for dinner with a friend. We ordered Bonesless chicken biryani and the very famous "Kakatiya Mutton Fry". Oh my, the mutton fry was so yummy and tasty. It was exactly the way every TBHP member on this forum described. The bonessless chicken biryani was also fantastic but mutton fry takes the front chair. I will go back again this weekend to try out their prawns fry and meals.
Glad to know that you liked KDM food. Me, NoRules and Hyd Traveller are hard core fans and propogate their food despite getting no commisions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajesh Rawal View Post
+1....It's a dangerous state when you have to quit NV food...LOL

Quote:
Sure NoRules!! Iam aiming at trying the prawns fry, mutton curry and even naatu kodi curry(as suggested by you at KDM. Planning to do that on the weekend and sometime next week.
Sure, you should like us try each and every dish on their menu. But, I will guarantee you will go back later only for 2 dishes

Kakatiya Mutton Fry
Prawns Fry

All other dishes are good to average but, above two are so consistently good that I think they should file for a patent..hehe!

Btw, there is an expensive fish dish ( Rs.200+) that is also nice. Its thick masala in one or two piece fish. Had it long back, dont remember the name. But, it will make your eyes water due to its spiciness and tangyness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
BTW i am all excited to try KDM after hearing mouth watering reviews by everyone about it Can you confirm if this is the one near Dilsukhnagar(googled)?
Santosh. I recommend you for lunch on a sunday ( prepare to wait endlessly) and eat their thali along with omlette and Mutton Fry/Prawn Fry. Also, please arrange for standy people to carry you back home as you will gorge yourself so much....

KDM is located in Ameerpet ( no branches) and is diagonally opposite to Big Bazaar Mall. Another landmark is its in lane next to "JEANS CORNER" store.

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th May 2013 at 14:29.
Old 17th May 2013, 15:09   #5588
BHPian

Quote:

God. Sounds terrible
Why? Is it because it is Emu?

By the way the hotel's name is Sree Krishna Grand and not Residency. Even today, when I was passing by, saw the ad about Emu.
Old 17th May 2013, 15:45   #5589
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Why? Is it because it is Emu?
Yes, because its Emu. I have a bit of less tolerance to supposedly exotic meats

Yesterday, myself and Gadgetfreak went for lunch to "Hadippa"

What a Tsunami of a buffet they serve

Each and every non veg item was so horrible. It's not worth wasting any ink in typing about them

Only their veg items namely. Kadi and Rajma were very nice.

I will never go back to Hadippa for their "Buffet Lunch/Dinner" and cannot take the risk of waiting forever after placing an order in ala-carte style.

Basically, Hadippa is stricken off my record
Old 17th May 2013, 15:57   #5590
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, because its Emu. I have a bit of less tolerance to supposedly exotic meats

Yesterday, myself and Gadgetfreak went for lunch to "Hadippa"
and How much is the Hadippa buffet priced at?
Old 17th May 2013, 16:11   #5591
BHPian

Quote:
Btw, there is an expensive fish dish ( Rs.200+) that is also nice. Its thick masala in one or two piece fish. Had it long back, dont remember the name. But, it will make your eyes water due to its spiciness and tangyness
You are talking about Korameenu (Murrel) fry. Lovely dish. But it has its good and bad days depending on how fresh the fish was. 2 out of 10 times I got bad quality fish but does not stop me from ordering it.
Old 17th May 2013, 16:18   #5592
BHPian

Quote:
Glad to know that you liked KDM food. Me, NoRules and Hyd Traveller are hard core fans and propogate their food despite getting no commisions
Mobike - I would be glad to join your Non- Profit group propogating KDM's food without getting a commission.
I second your opinion about them filing a patent for their mutton fry and iam yet to try their prawns fry.
Probably, i will dig into their menu next time searching for the fish dish you have mentioned and have that in my "to be tried" list at KDM.
Iam getting impatient in terms of trying the whole menu at KDM

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th May 2013 at 18:01. Reason: Please dont quote entire large posts.....
Old 17th May 2013, 18:01   #5593
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saikatmandal04 View Post
and How much is the Hadippa buffet priced at?
Actual price was Rs.299 but, a call from Shammi got the price falling down to Rs.209.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
You are talking about Korameenu (Murrel) fry. Lovely dish. But it has its good and bad days depending on how fresh the fish was. 2 out of 10 times I got bad quality fish but does not stop me from ordering it.
Spot on. This is the dish. Korameenu Fry. When I had it, it was fantastic. There is always a dilemma playing in my head as to what should I order enroute KDM as I normally pick up 2 dishes due to the distance and enjoy it over a period of 2 days

Should I get Korameenu Fry? How about I try Chicken Fry today? No, No let me try Andhra style biryani. It's a medley of thoughts but, finally Mutton Fry and Prawns Fry win the marathon of thoughts..

There was a time, I had it so frequently, that I got sick of KDM

Now I visit them strategically with well-spaced out intervals so I can enjoy their food and not over do the whole damn KDM affair

Quote:
Mobike - I would be glad to join your Non- Profit group propogating KDM's food without getting a commission.
I second your opinion about them filing a patent for their mutton fry and iam yet to try their prawns fry.
Welcome onboard to our company. We dont mind promoting you as one of the directors. however, the joining fees is you should treat us to a meal at KDM. Place and time to be conveyed soon. Till then your director position will be pending and under our consideration

Last edited by mobike008 : 17th May 2013 at 18:03.
Old 17th May 2013, 18:14   #5594
BHPian

Quote:
Welcome onboard to our company. We dont mind promoting you as one of the directors. however, the joining fees is you should treat us to a meal at KDM. Place and time to be conveyed soon. Till then your director position will be pending and under our consideration
Anytime sir!! If not for the Directot position that you have offered, Iam ok to treat you guys for a yummy meal at KDM for the sheer taste of it.
Afterall, we Hyderabadis are extreme food lovers and we truly appreciate any place that serves tasty food like KDM
Old 18th May 2013, 10:44   #5595
BHPian

Hello Hyderabadi Team-BHPians!!

Can someone please share their latest experiences about the Beach House and Kasani GR at Madhapur? My office colleagues are planning a team lunch on a working day (Monday - Friday) sometime this month end and it would be great if I can get a feedback on the above places on things like the ambience, food variety, quality, pricing and service.

Thanks and Regards,

Rahul Waghmare.

Most Viewed