Team-BHP > Shifting gears
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th May 2013, 08:50   #5671
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Feel like eating a long, very very long dosa, called 70mm dosa or whatever.

Which restaurant / eatery in Hyderabad serves the longest dosa?

Thanks in advance!
Old 28th May 2013, 09:22   #5672
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyd_traveller View Post

Thanks in advance!
The erstwhile Gayatri Bhavan used to serve the longest n thinnest 70mm dosas. I have also eaten the same at Abids Taj ages ago.

But never ever go to Chutneys for a 70mm dosa. They serve something slightly longer than normal masala dosa (and balanced on only one plate) and call that 70mm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Paper Roast
is that a 70mm dosa by any chance?
Old 28th May 2013, 10:00   #5673
BHPian

Kolkata biryani is more influenced from Murshidabad than Lucknow. The trademark potato is also an acquired tradition from there itself. That being said, this biryani is best eaten with a side dish of say Mutton kosha or chicken kosha. Goes really well. I just happened to have a biryani yesterday for dinner along with chicken kosha, and it tasted heavenly. Cannot say the same about the plain biryani though.
Old 28th May 2013, 10:42   #5674
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
I may not like a specific dish but I never call it "terrible" or "bad tasting", because me not liking a dish does not make it "bad".
I disagree. A terrible dish is a terrible dish. Period

Its not about tasting different but, the dish itself is overall bad. Perhaps for people with zero taste for good food ( there are plenty of people out there who eat to live unlike us who live to eat), it may taste like a heavenly pumpkin pie

Quote:
Meals are available for Lunch.
Is the Sambhar same as you crave for? unlike the sweet sambhar which you dislike? If yes, would be interested to taste that and see if my taste buds too accept the chennai sambhar

Quote:
It's called 70mm Dosa. You can try it either of these places :-

1. Minverva, Himyathnagar
2. Taj Mahal, Abids
3. Shanbagh, Basheerbagh

Btw, Last Friday, before going for a movie, we hadnt time so decided to have a quick biryani enroute at "Garden Restuarant" Clock Tower, Secunderabad

We ordered for a Spl. Chicken Biryani for Rs.170. It comes with boiled egg and 3-4 chicken 65 pieces.

This is for those people who keep raving about Garden

I have to tell these places are now "HAVE BEEN"

Ambience is really bad. Dark, dingy with almost cafe style table and chairs even in the family section

Biryani served were long grained but, no flavour at all.

Chicken was some crumpled and ugly looking pieces which looked terrible just from visual aspect

Overall, the biryani was simply below average and not worth the "awe" people have when they utter the words "Garden"

I will never step into Garden ever in my life.

BIRYANI FACT (Source TOI)

2011 : 4.2 Lakh plates of Biryani is consumed by Hydeez every single day

2013 : 7 Lakh plates of Biryani is consumed by Hydeez every single day
Old 28th May 2013, 11:05   #5675
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Thanks in advance!
Vasantha Bhavan served such a dosa to a table near mine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
is that a 70mm dosa by any chance?
Nopes.

Quote:

Btw, Last Friday, before going for a movie, we hadnt time so decided to have a quick biryani enroute at "Garden Restuarant" Clock Tower, Secunderabad

Ambience is really bad. Dark, dingy with almost cafe style table and chairs even in the family section
I last went there about a month back. It was a HOT day. There was a power cut.
But this dark dinghy cafe style restaurant was cool and comfortable.

Quote:

Biryani served were long grained but, no flavour at all.

Chicken was some crumpled and ugly looking pieces which looked terrible just from visual aspect
I have not tried the chicken biryani here. But I like the mutton biryani.
But what I almost always order is tandoori roti and mutton masala.

Last edited by bblost : 28th May 2013 at 13:42.
Old 28th May 2013, 11:30   #5676
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post

I disagree. A terrible dish is a terrible dish. Period

Its not about tasting different but, the dish itself is overall bad. Perhaps for people with zero taste for good food ( there are plenty of people out there who eat to live unlike us who live to eat), it may taste like a heavenly pumpkin pie
Taste of food is subjective, like a car's looks, and depends on the person. If you find some food terrible it is just your opinion. For example I am repelled by the smell n taste of dried fish or beef steak but many love it. So should I say they are bad food?

Here I am not talking about badly cooked food ie cooking food with wrong proportion of spices or salt for example (a bland naatu kodi iguru anyone?). Every dish has its prescribed range of spices and other ingredients that have to be followed in the recipe and experimentation can be done within that range. If the proportions are ingredients have to be modified drastically the dish has to be given a new name. Calling it by its original name would be a blasphemy (example: the "Hyderabadi" biryani you get in some Delhi restaurants").

Quote:
This is for those people who keep raving about Garden

I have to tell these places are now "HAVE BEEN"
Garden is long past its days of glory. I havent heard of any one going there for biryani in the last 10 or 15 years.

Paradise and Alpha are the must-go options in secbad

Quote:
That huge number will be a fraction of the masses
you are wrong. That dried fish is hugely popular among the entire coastline of India. A famous example is Bombil or Bombay Duck in Bombay

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 28th May 2013 at 11:34.
Old 28th May 2013, 12:28   #5677
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Bizzare food is bizarre food. There is no geography associated with it.

I dont eat bizzare food and will never try it in my life and in this aspect if people call me close-minded/un-experimentative, conservative etc etc, I dont care for their opinon, its a free country they can say whatever they want

People who enjoy such food, good luck to them

Now lets get down to brass tacks (Tasty Food Discussion )
Ok. So you can stop eating these things in bold.

Quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bizarre...Andrew_Zimmern

22 (8) April 29, 2008 Delhi, India Pomfret, lentil, brain curry, mutton liver and kidney stew, tandoori roti, goat and lamb testicles, paneer, boiled banana flower, banana plant stem, fruit sandwich, pani puri, lassi, mutton balls, gushtaba, chapati.

Not bizarre for Indians.
But for people outside India it will be bizarre.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Have been out of Hyd for the last couple of months,cant wait to get back next month!Where has vasanta bhavan open?Location pls.
Its in Banjara Hill Road 14.
There was a restaurant called Zaika. This has taken over that location.

If you are coming from Jubilee Hills Checkpost, cross the TDP office. Don't take the Road Number 3 turning.

Just a few meters after this is a left turn. This is Road Number 14.
The restaurant will come on your right.
Same road also has a Hyundai Service center and Asha Hospital.
Old 28th May 2013, 12:43   #5678
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Its in Banjara Hill Road 14.
There was a restaurant called Zaika. This has taken over that location.

If you are coming from Jubilee Hills Checkpost, cross the TDP office. Don't take the Road Number 3 turning.

Just a few meters after this is a left turn. This is Road Number 14.
The restaurant will come on your right.
Same road also has a Hyundai Service center and Asha Hospital.
Thanks got it!Zaika was a waste of time.Finally an authentic Tamilian food place.This one has its roots in Trichy iirc.

I guess the Namma Illu part in the name is in keeping true to its tradition of naming their Chennai restaurants as "Namma Veedu VB".Brings back memories of my Chennai days.
Old 30th May 2013, 12:10   #5679
BHPian

Sunday evening I attended a Sangeet function at Marigold. Something I ate there did not agree with me and I woke up Monday morning with severe stomach infection and high fever. I started on medication immediately and was down for 2 full days.

I was feeling fine yesterday and attended office. During the day I had only coconut water and curd rice. On the way back home in the evening I was thinking I will have light food (may be rasam and rice) for dinner and call it a day early.

But a close friend called and invited me for his wedding anniversary dinner at Blue Fox, Himayatnagar, one of my favorite restaurants in Hyderabad and a regular hangout when I was staying at Domalguda. I was in a fix because I knew I should not be eating spicy food while on antibiotics but my friend was persistent and my kids also wanted to go.

A quick call to my doctor who asked me to consume food in moderation and avoid spicy food. So Blue Fox it was. I asked the hosts not to force me to eat.

And this was what I ended up eating:

Curd Rice
AND

Chinese chicken roast - Excellent (Only other place I ate better CCR than this is Ashoka Hotel, Lakdi ka pul, not in the recent past though)
Apollo Fish - Very good
Loose Fried Prawns - Super
Kheema balls - Much softer that what you get at most places, nice and succulent
Andhra Fish fry - A slightly different version of Apollo fish but much better with Andhra spices.
Egg Spring Rolls - Decent
Chicken Pakoda - Excellent
Mutton Biryani - Decent

You can never go wrong with Blue Fox, Himayatnagar. No wonder the place was packed even at mid night, even with the prices hiked to the present levels.

The moment first dish was served, I forgot all about my upset stomach and thankfully the indulgence did not upset anything further.

After dinner we went to Cream Stone for ice cream where I had Alfonso ice cream. CS was totally packed even at 1 AM.

Last edited by NoRules : 30th May 2013 at 12:19.
Old 30th May 2013, 12:39   #5680
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
After dinner we went to Cream Stone for ice cream where I had Alfonso ice cream. CS was totally packed even at 1 AM.
Totally agree as we had dinner at Blue Fox just last month and their food continues to taste great.

Cream Stone at Himayathnagar has become sort of a menace, people are flocking to it as if they are giving the ice-creams away.Cars are parked waywardly and blocking traffic.

Btw, even after closing they sometimes sell in next lane for atleast an hour more. Had once there in that lane at around 1am when the main store was completely shut down.
Old 30th May 2013, 12:42   #5681
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRules View Post
Sunday evening I attended a Sangeet function at Marigold .
I too recently happened to be there for a marriage ...lucky me as the food was good

Can anyone suggest any good place for good midnight buffet/biriyani other than the Green park hotel ?
Old 30th May 2013, 12:42   #5682
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Cream Stone at Himayathnagar has become sort of a menace, people are flocking to it as if they are giving the ice-creams away.Cars are parked waywardly and blocking traffic.
Its a menace even in Jubilee Hills.Why are people even patronizing that place given the atrocious rates that they charge and the measly quantities that they dole out.
Old 30th May 2013, 13:49   #5683
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
I too recently happened to be there for a marriage ...lucky me as the food was good

Can anyone suggest any good place for good midnight buffet/biriyani other than the Green park hotel ?

Try Ohris Pickles. Choices are less as compared to other places but taste is good.
Old 30th May 2013, 13:50   #5684
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pheonix View Post
Have you tried Hampshire Plaza, Lakdi ka Pul? Been a while I ate there but they used to have a decent midnight buffet.
Old 30th May 2013, 14:45   #5685
BHPian

Any review of the Blue Fox that opened on the kondapur-hitech city road (nr jayabheri)?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks