Team-BHP > Shifting gears

Search this Thread
Old 11th June 2013, 14:23   #5761
BHPian

re: A Guide: Eating out in Hyderabad/Secunderabad/Cyberabad

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
I will give Amberpet Mukarram a try tomorrow.
@ Dreams - What kind of Beef are you looking for ? If you are from Kerala or Goa and used to the coastal style of cooking beef, then I dont think, Thala hua will impress you much.

At Alhamdulillah, the sheek kebabs are awesome, but the beef fry/ thala hua is too oily to be good, and the meat itself is not very tender. Same for Prince or any of these other Kalyani joints.

If you are looking for Kerala style beef, the best bet would still be Hotel Kairali (opp DLF, Gachibowli). On most days, they have good Beef Roast and Fry .. try that along with Kappa (Tappioca or Cassava as you may call it).
Old 11th June 2013, 14:42   #5762
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by autotranny View Post
At Alhamdulillah, the sheek kebabs are awesome, but the beef fry/ thala hua is too oily to be good, and the meat itself is not very tender. Same for Prince or any of these other Kalyani joints.
Get that beef fry home and let it cook for 1 min under high power of your microwave.

Makes the chewy meat a lot easier to chew.
Old 11th June 2013, 14:49   #5763
BHPian

This is an account of a shocking customer experience at a Gurgaon restaurant "Lemp Brewpub"

http://lempexperience.blogspot.in/20...etail.html?m=1

There is an effort to make this viral and ensure bad publicity for that place.

Please send the link to your contacts esp those in Gurgaon/NCR and publicize it as much as possible.
Old 12th June 2013, 07:29   #5764
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltDel View Post
This is an account of a shocking customer experience at a Gurgaon restaurant "Lemp Brewpub"

http://lempexperience.blogspot.in/20...etail.html?m=1

There is an effort to make this viral and ensure bad publicity for that place.

Please send the link to your contacts esp those in Gurgaon/NCR and publicize it as much as possible.
"Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist."

However, I agree. It's developed a bad reputation, with a major brawl with some bad casualties happening some time last year I believe. I have also experienced their unprofessional attitude just a couple of weeks or so back.

Anyway, with the kind of demand for these things in Gurgaon, I'm sure people will continue visiting and giving it rave reviews on Zomato etc.

Regards,
spadix
Old 12th June 2013, 09:53   #5765
BHPian

Last Friday, a friend bought a jumbo chicken and a jumbo mutton biryani from Bawarchi (the real one from RTC X roads). The size was smaller than even a family pack! Biryani was gooooood. Meat was cooked perfectly and it had the right amount of spice combination in both chicken and mutton. It's been a long time I've had a good 'parcel' biryani.

The chicken curry on the other hand was too spicy for my taste and it had green peas!! Now I know that it is not uncommon to add peas or some vegetable in meat preparations but I absolutely hate it unless it is beef preparation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellmet View Post
Well, what can we vegetarians do but eat what is on offer?
We routinely order an extra curry to accompany our biryani unlike my non-vegetarian friends for whom the meat offers sufficient flavor in itself.
I'll certainly be trying double-masala next time!
Double-masala veg biryani?? Another joke
I once had the misfortune of picking up a veg biryani for a friend from Hotel Niagara. Only fellow Hyderabadis can understand my plight then and imagine the looks I was thrown at.

Quote:
At Alhumdullilah its either a hit or miss. There was a time when my jaws didn't allow me to speak for good 2 hours after having a meal there. The other time, the meat was overcooked and it lost its taste, almost tasted like a dough.

Quote:
If you are looking for Kerala style beef, the best bet would still be Hotel Kairali (opp DLF, Gachibowli). On most days, they have good Beef Roast and Fry .. try that along with Kappa (Tappioca or Cassava as you may call it).
How do I go there from Grasshopper? What is Kappa? A roti/bread? What oil do they use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post
However, I agree. It's developed a bad reputation, with a major brawl with some bad casualties happening some time last year I believe. I have also experienced their unprofessional attitude just a couple of weeks or so back.
I read that article yesterday which was shared in another thread. The customer had a terrible experience. All they wanted was to have a good time and good food. Sad, they ended up in a police station for all the wrong doings of the restaurant owner and manager. We are in a much better place. We do have a few instances but I'm glad they are not as nightmarish as this one.

I urge all the members to voice their bad experiences on Zomato, burrp, facebook, twitter etc whenever they have a bad experience. A good experience (it is anyways expected) can be excused , but a bad one should never be.
Old 12th June 2013, 10:23   #5766
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
How do I go there from Grasshopper? What is Kappa? A roti/bread? What oil do they use?
I haven't been to Grasshopper yet, but from the Zomato location, I reckon it is next door to Kairali. There are a cluster of restaurants opp to the DLF IT Park including Shriji Rasoi, Kairali etc.

'Kappa' is tapioca [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapioca]. Its a staple diet of the lower income strata and labour class. If you dont wanna take a chance with that, go for the more famous options, the 'Kerala Paratha' (though we call it the Porotta) or the Appams.

Btw, the ambience of Kairali is more or less like Alhamdulillah only, though far less crowded.
Old 12th June 2013, 10:44   #5767
BHPian

Quote:
I haven't been to Grasshopper yet, but from the Zomato location, I reckon it is next door to Kairali. There are a cluster of restaurants opp to the DLF IT Park including Shriji Rasoi, Kairali etc.

'Kappa' is tapioca [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tapioca]. Its a staple diet of the lower income strata and labour class. If you dont wanna take a chance with that, go for the more famous options, the 'Kerala Paratha' (though we call it the Porotta) or the Appams.

Btw, the ambience of Kairali is more or less like Alhamdulillah only, though far less crowded.
I've had store-bought snacks of tapioca. What I wanted to know is what kinda preparation they serve. Now pretty much clear. I've had Appam only once in Kerala and now I can't recollect how it tasted.

When I think of beef, I don't think of ambience.
Old 12th June 2013, 11:23   #5768
BHPian

Quote:
@ Dreams - What kind of Beef are you looking for ? If you are from Kerala or Goa and used to the coastal style of cooking beef, then I dont think, Thala hua will impress you much.

I am not from Kerala or Goa. I am from Chennai. I have eaten some of the beef in chicken 65 style and biryani's in mutton biryani style. I have also eaten them in manchurian style in some fast food joints in Chennai. I am looking at something similar to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblost View Post
Get that beef fry home and let it cook for 1 min under high power of your microwave.

Makes the chewy meat a lot easier to chew.
Unfortunately we dont have a microwave, so can we use the cooker to make it tender?
Old 12th June 2013, 11:24   #5769
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by spadix View Post

"Sorry, the page you were looking for in this blog does not exist."
I believe the blog has been taken down sometime yesterday. But copies of the article are available elsewhere. Google for "Lemp gurgaon incident" or something like that.

EDIT:
Here it is:
http://www.foodenthusiastsofdelhi.co...t-was.html?m=1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farukh View Post
I've had store-bought snacks of tapioca. What I wanted to know is what kinda preparation they serve. Now pretty much clear. I've had Appam only once in Kerala and now I can't recollect how it tasted.
Its like mashed n spiced tapioca. It can be used in place of rice - ie by mixing the gravy in the kappa mash, somewhat like Ragisangati.

Last edited by CtrlAltDel : 12th June 2013 at 11:31.
Old 12th June 2013, 11:33   #5770
BHPian

@mobike008

I do have Mutton biryani once in a while, but i intentionally avoid red meat. Chicken is my favourite too. Having been a fan of Paradise biryani since day 1, I still find the Chicken to be more tasty at Green Bawarchi and Shadaab.

My new favorite biryani is Shadaab now It is prepared exactly the way I like my biryani.
Old 12th June 2013, 12:15   #5771
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Unfortunately we dont have a microwave, so can we use the cooker to make it tender?
You might as well cook it yourself.
A very simple recipe I use is
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post2837526 (Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs)

You can also try this one:
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shift...ml#post2939780 (Recipes / Discussions on cooking from Team-BHP Master Chefs)

Beef is also sold in Auchan/ Spar.
Old 12th June 2013, 12:29   #5772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motormania View Post
@mobike008
My new favorite biryani is Shadaab now It is prepared exactly the way I like my biryani.
Visit Alpha which is opp Secunderabad Rly Stn if you like Chicken Biryani.

One more good place to have Chicken Biryani in Hyderabad is a KIMS hospital canteen.

Waseem.
Old 12th June 2013, 13:48   #5773
Senior - BHPian

Folks,

I have a simple and yet urgent matter to resolve which only the junta over here can help with.

Where do you get the best Fish & Chips in town?
Old 12th June 2013, 13:50   #5774
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MileCruncher View Post
Folks,

I have a simple and yet urgent matter to resolve which only the junta over here can help with.

Where do you get the best Fish & Chips in town?
Truffles serves a good one.
Old 12th June 2013, 13:58   #5775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitp1 View Post
Truffles serves a good one.
I went to three places last night and none of them served fish and chips which were anywhere close to the original.

Hence that started a craving to find the best place and have it there.

Most Viewed